Options

Batman comics

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    But that makes the case then that the half-asian girl gets taken out of the book at the last minute for the white girl who will inevitably hang herself in Thailand.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    I'd so buy a series about Cassandra just wandering the world, and punching things in the face what need punched in the face.

They could call it Bat-Fu: The Legend Continues.

That sounds freaking amazing.

Cass as White Canary on the other hand, sounds terrible and I doubt it'll happen. She's met Black Canary, what, twice? So why would she suddenly become White Canary? Doesn't make sense.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2010
    white canary is Sin

Darkseid Omega Sanctioned her into her late teens

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sin and Damian need to meet

MastaP on
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The preview for Batman 700 is up

Tairu on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2010
    MastaP wrote: »

i still say Cassandra should show up and Damian should be mouthing off at how he is the best fighter blah blah blah and then Cass kicks like 10 dudes asses and never gets touched and that's the first time Damian gets a boner

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Keith wrote: »

i still say Cassandra should show up and Damian should be mouthing off at how he is the best fighter blah blah blah and then Cass kicks like 10 dudes asses and never gets touched and that's the first time Damian gets a boner

um.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

"MOOOOOM, Deathstroke's controlling me again!"

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010

um.

what

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I wouldn't mind seeing her with Jason Todd, assuming they could agree on a mission statement.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I still say I want a Cassandra Cain/Batman Jones: Bat-Apostles book, where they spread the religion of Batman. Through hitting people.

Munch on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I want a Bat-family book. Bruce, Dick, Barbara, Cass, Tim, Jason, Damian, etc, they could really make a dent in crime and stuff in a big part of the world.

Also, those Bat-punk vigilantes from DKSA. Bat-army.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I always loved the DKSA's Batboys, and have long thought that'd be a great name for Damian, if he ever had to stop being Robin. With the way he insisted that he should be Batman rather than Dick, I always thought it'd be awesome if he started dressing like a little mini-Batman, and everyone would just be all, "Oh hey, it's Batboy!" "BatMAN!" "Sure thing, Batboy."

Munch on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Batman #700 was awesome.

Fact.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Flash fact?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bat-fact.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Is that above Flash fact but below Super fact, and way way below Hal Jordan Fact?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You would think a Bat-Fact would be the highest honour bestowed upon a fact.

Superman is sometimes wrong.

Even when he's wrong, Batman is right.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Superman is wrong 1% of the time but has good intentions.

Batman breaks an innocent GCPD officer's nose because she told him to freeze while he was hovering above the Penguin and had the gall to point a gun at him because she's a cop.

Superman goes to Africa to help villagers and children, I never see Batman do that.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Every time anything needs to be rebuilt or someone needs expensive medical care or an orphanage needs funding or whatever, Wayne Industries foots the bill. He also offers secretarial work to illiterate child prostitutes!

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    He's not teaching them to fish, he's giving them a fish because he has a billion other fishes to sleep with. Bruce Wayne is Troy McClure.

Luthor Corp is so much better, he rebuilt Gotham and asked for nothing in return. The man's a saint.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    He's not teaching them to fish, he's giving them a fish because he has a billion other fishes to sleep with.

that's more of a Superman issue than a batman issue. Superman regularly faces the question of whether or not his protection discourages humanity from learning to protect itself.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    This was answered in Camelot Falls.

Superman basically said "I'll lift the people up and they'll be better."

And seeing as how everyone in the government seems to plan against Superman, he's helping them protect themselves. Frankenstein cut a Kryptonian in half during the War!

TexiKen on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Couple things Re: #700

-- In the "Today" part in the Frank Quitely section, did anyone else catch the resemblance of the thugs in Crime Alley to the thugs from Dark Knight Returns?

-- In the Batman Gallery towards the back, that first Dustin Nguyen page in all red was way sinister. Totally awesome though, but holy crap that's really dark for Nguyen.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »

-- In the "Today" part in the Frank Quitely section, did anyone else catch the resemblance of the thugs in Crime Alley to the thugs from Dark Knight Returns?

Batman called them The Mutants. They're inspired by the DKR thugs

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Superman is wrong 1% of the time but has good intentions.

Batman breaks an innocent GCPD officer's nose because she told him to freeze while he was hovering above the Penguin and had the gall to point a gun at him because she's a cop.

Superman goes to Africa to help villagers and children, I never see Batman do that.

I always thought it was because she shot him. Granted, his bulletproof stuff stopped the bullet, but still, How shitty a Gotham cop do you have to be to shoot Batman? My biggest problem with the Gotham Central series is that it was basically 90% of the cops were corrupt/incompetent, and yet they whined all the time about Batman doing their job for them. Still a great series, though.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    He's not teaching them to fish, he's giving them a fish because he has a billion other fishes to sleep with. Bruce Wayne is Troy McClure.

Luthor Corp is so much better, he rebuilt Gotham and asked for nothing in return. The man's a saint.

Nothing except he was trying to take ownership over the whole city.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Fencingsax, the sarcasm, the sarcasm

And I think you're right about the officer shooting Batman first, although he asked for it when he didn't stop (I basically remember him punching her in the nose ala JLI)

edit: The best part of Batman #700 was Dick using the batons again and saying he needs to have them on his batsuit.

It also felt like DC gave Finch and Kolins some pages to draw in the issue because it was a bargaining chip to get them as exclusives.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Issue 700 was great, with the one exception of the art in "Today" that was drawn by the other guy (not Frank Quitely).

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That was Scot Kolins, in some weird paintbrush look to his art.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man fucking #700

So damn good

Loved the Damian-Batman setting in a Gotham terrorized by Joker Venom falling in the rain
    And that moment where he allows mutant rats to nom Roboto. Oh Damian.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My favorite part of 700?
    Two-Face 2

Tairu on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That was awesome, yes. As were the Batman Beyond and 1,000,000 nods.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm honestly not sure how I feel about 700-mainly because I hate backmatter stuff. The galleries are cool, no doubt, but I like reading comics cover to cover, it always annoys me when there's stuff at the end, making me think it's a bigger book. Mentally I'm not at the end of the story yet when I've got ten pages left in my right hand.

Still, more Bat-Damien is all right by me.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I was also a little miffed by the gallery given the $5 cover price. Am I supposed to, like, buy another copy and tape those to my wall or something?

Then again, it's hard to get pissed about paying $5 for a comic that was so damn good otherwise

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    OK, so
    Damien Bat; Terry Bat; Miller DKR-inspired Bat-vigillantes; ????; 1,000,000 Bat

Was the one I missed a new improvisation, or was it based on something I'm unaware of?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I don't know either, maybe a LoSH timeline Batman? Was that ever mentioned in the Legion Books?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I wish I could say it was the ideal Batman from the Planetary crossover, but that's just based on the cityscape. The costume has the yellow emblem, and futuristic utopias all kinda of look the same.
    Planetary_Batman_pg42_Anthony.jpg

Lux on
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think Utopia Batman and Terminator Salvation Batman are both new.

Dick straight up refers to them as "the Mutants"

As for the issue? I thought it was uneven, yet there was still a lot to love. The first story was a little muddy, but that may have just been because of Tony Daniel; it felt muddy in the same way that RIP did, And it was never really clear until the second story that the maybe machine actually manipulated time. The Second story was just golden, despite the art change. The story was strongest here: the premise was consistent yet charming, the banter genuinely funny, and I loved the little things like Dick taking the time to shave while in the most Batman pose possible while on top of a gargoyle. In the third, the art was strongest, and the story was cool and consistent with 666. But I had 2 incredibly irrelevant nitpicks: One, the Joker venom was never before explained as the chemical bath that bleached his skin. Two, I don't like that Damian left Max to die like that. I know I know, he's still arrogant and he does kill, but the way I read 666 is that he only kills when he sees no alternative, and each time he does, he considers it a personal failure and a mark that's he's not as good as Bruce or Dick because he couldn't do it WITHOUT killing. You could easily handwave it saying he just did not have time, or I could just be misreading how he acted in 666. Either way, still an enjoyable chapter. And I would complain about the Gallery, but I loved every single one. The preview for Batman Odyssey annoyed me more than that did.

MastaP on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I think Utopia Batman and Terminator Salvation Batman are both new.

Dick straight up refers to them as "the Mutants"

As for the issue? I thought it was uneven, yet there was still a lot to love. The first story was a little muddy, but that may have just been because of Tony Daniel; it felt muddy in the same way that RIP did, And it was never really clear until the second story that the maybe machine actually manipulated time. The Second story was just golden, despite the art change. The story was strongest here: the premise was consistent yet charming, the banter genuinely funny, and I loved the little things like Dick taking the time to shave while in the most Batman pose possible while on top of a gargoyle. In the third, the art was strongest, and the story was cool and consistent with 666.

Man, this was one story, not four separate ones.

And do you think, perhaps, the first story was a bit "muddy" because Batman was tied up and out of his mind on trippy science experiments while his worst enemies were blowing hallucinogenic drugs everywhere (and into Robin's face!) and cackling and screaming like complete maniacs? That the chaos of all of that might also have come across in the storytelling? Like R.I.P., also? That if things weren't completely explained in that first scene, that's cool, because they were later on in this very issue?

Just sayin'

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
This discussion has been closed.