As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] Deader than the Tomb Kings.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I left Iron Rock for Badlands.

Edit: And am a Marauder.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well there's your problem.

Badlands Destro is terrible.

Transporter on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    DoKs are great. Thats my healer atm but I think I might go back to shammy because I loved the mechanic. It was a lot of fun to play with it going both ways. Balancing your damage and your dps was awesome. I am hoping with the next patch and its rumored Magus fixes I won't feel like such a slouch in small combats. Big ones, are nice get off an aoe dot or two and you start making healers get worried as people bars drop on like 10 people at once. In small combats, not enough damage. But I don't have my ap drain yet so that might give me more of a purpose.

There have been rumored magus fixes since launch. I wouldn't hold your breath.

Already been some patch notes released for them. Basically it is what is going to be the next patch.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ah. Wasn't able to locate the magus changes on the herald, but finallyl found them on the forum. Really digging most of them. I hope the disarm has a decent disarm time to cast time ratio. Also, holy crap on doubling the wounds buff on aegis. It already gives a bit over 1k health at max spec gettign 2k instantly is going to be awesome. Also, woot on the elemental debuff. Should be able to do some pretty good single target damage now.

Still a bit disappointed though since only 2 of these things aren't just copies of engineer abilities.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So what faction is everyone playing and on what server?

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Badlands, Rank 32 Marauder.

Arthil on
  • Options
    UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Um, don't remember the server, but we have an 8 black ork and a 7 shaman that we duo. It's a F server.
    We're having a good time so far.

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gorfang, Rank 31 Warrior Priest.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Order. Iron Rock. EVERYTHING.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So i have a 40 chosen on Badlands, and some level 20 order characters on Iron Rock.

The big question is how active is the game though and PA in it? Is it a solo boring grind upto 40 and then fighting maxed out pvpers for a while... or is it possible to pvp til 40, scenarios or world pvp?

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The whole point of WAR is being able to PvP all the way to the end. And if you're playing a high level on Badlands, what is your name?

Arthil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Arthil wrote: »
    The whole point of WAR is being able to PvP all the way to the end. And if you're playing a high level on Badlands, what is your name?

I'm not playing at all right now, just curious if resubbing would be worthwhile. Chosen's name was Bucwild I believe. I did a mad grind to 40 when the game released, then twiddled around with some alts and got bored of the game before the high level pvp took off.

Hows pvp healing in WAR... I had a warrior priest upto 20 and it was fun, do all the healers have their pros and cons in pvp or is there certain better choices?

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    All depends on your preferences. Diciple of Khaine will more or less heal by killing things, as well as HoTs. Zealot's are more pure healers, Shaman is a mainly single target healer with a good AoE heal plus the whole damage makes heals better and heals makes damage better mechanic.

Arthil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    All depends on your preferences. Diciple of Khaine will more or less heal by killing things, as well as HoTs. Zealot's are more pure healers, Shaman is a mainly single target healer with a good AoE heal plus the whole damage makes heals better and heals makes damage better mechanic.

I thought the shaman and archmage mechanic got switched around to where damage makes damage better, and healing makes healing better?

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have pretty much pvped my way to level 29 with minimal grinding. I think I have ground only a few levels since tier 3 can be dead but it can also be rocking. Though I am Iron Rock destruction.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I have pretty much pvped my way to level 29 with minimal grinding. I think I have ground only a few levels since tier 3 can be dead but it can also be rocking. Though I am Iron Rock destruction.

Most PA is Iron Rock order though right?

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm primarily playing Kendrik, my 40/45 Chosen. Like Morninglord, I'm running with The Schism on Iron Rock since TSM self-destructed. I'm pretty sure I've run with Detharin, as well, though I didn't realize he was PA.

I still have my 25 Archmage on Badlands from my Candymancer days, though I rarely play him.

Kendrik on
    steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Badwrong wrote: »

I'm not playing at all right now, just curious if resubbing would be worthwhile. Chosen's name was Bucwild I believe. I did a mad grind to 40 when the game released, then twiddled around with some alts and got bored of the game before the high level pvp took off.

Hows pvp healing in WAR... I had a warrior priest upto 20 and it was fun, do all the healers have their pros and cons in pvp or is there certain better choices?

Unless they've updated it, both the "pure healers" the zealot and runepriest are pretty poor PvP classes having no real strength except healing and even that isn't miles above the other classes.

The Archmage and Shaman have ranged dps that can actually be respectable in certain circumstances and an emergency combat Rez.

The DoK and Warrior Priest are limited to melee damage but have better survivability and arguably the best healing in the game with a standard rez spell.

disclaimer: I haven't played for about 6 months

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Unless they've updated it, both the "pure healers" the zealot and runepriest are pretty poor PvP classes having no real strength except healing and even that isn't miles above the other classes.

The Archmage and Shaman have ranged dps that can actually be respectable in certain circumstances and an emergency combat Rez.

The DoK and Warrior Priest are limited to melee damage but have better survivability and arguably the best healing in the game with a standard rez spell.

Very few healers, regardless of spec, are going to be getting lots of kills in RvR. But you WILL be welcome in any group, because a good healer can make or break a group. Also, WP's are ridiculously hard to kill without an assist-train. So, saying they are poor PvP classes is inaccurate...they are a vital part of any RvR group.

Kendrik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kendrik wrote: »

Very few healers, regardless of spec, are going to be getting lots of kills in RvR. But you WILL be welcome in any group, because a good healer can make or break a group. Also, WP's are ridiculously hard to kill without an assist-train. So, saying they are poor PvP classes is inaccurate...they are a vital part of any RvR group.

The DoK and WP are arguably the best healers in the game, I don't know where you see I said differently. The Insta-rez available to the Archmage and Shaman is powerful and almost as indispensable as the survivability available to their competition especially in small scale PvP.

The difference would be how you prefer to level up. Beating on things in melee, or casting spells. Both class pairings should be in high demand by good players.

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Yeah WP are pretty ridiculous. Combined with an IB it's just stupid. Before I unsubscribed i ran into 4 or 5 destro attacking a WP and IB in a corner on my magus. i dotted them both up with everything I had and close quarters tactic, and even had 2 other people join in and we just could not kill them. I ended up just leaving, and unsubbed shortly thereafter. When 7-8 people can't kill 2, something is clearly broken.

It may have just been their AOE detaunt stacking with the IB's guard, but i remember that problem wasn't fixed for months.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, classes working together too well was always a big problem. God, the memories of stacked Sorc pools of death... or, in my case, invisible pools of death, because they didn't animate with the spell effects on minimum. :V

Glal on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The DoK and WP are arguably the best healers in the game, I don't know where you see I said differently.
    both the "pure healers" the zealot and runepriest are pretty poor PvP classes

I was responding to that sentiment as I think it implies you should only roll zealot if you want to PvE. Healers are always needed in RvR, regardless of type. Zealots are much less fun to solo-level, though, for sure, and are even less likely to see a killing blow.

I've also been led to believe that only well-geared DoK's are able to effectively run a DPS spec in Tier 4 due to their squishiness and high target-value. I can't speak directly to that as my DoK is only level 23 and I'm sticking to back-line healing roles, and I'm not sure the same applies to Warrior Priests, either. I know they are one of the tougher opponents to take down, but I'm a tank-spec chosen so pretty much everything is hard for me to kill.

Kendrik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Iron Rock Destro fo' life

Although I haven't logged in for like a month.

Music and music related things have devoured my life recently.

I should really log in and run some scenes with Schism on my Marauder/Choppa/Shaman/Chosen/Blorc though

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Iron Rock Destro fo' life

Although I haven't logged in for like a month.

Music and music related things have devoured my life recently.

I should really log in and run some scenes with Schism on my Marauder/Choppa/Shaman/Chosen/Blorc though

Yes you fucking should.

I've been hoping you'd log in every time I am on and you are continuing to fail me every time.

Stop failing me Happy.

You don't want to be a failure.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Yeah WP are pretty ridiculous. Combined with an IB it's just stupid. Before I unsubscribed i ran into 4 or 5 destro attacking a WP and IB in a corner on my magus. i dotted them both up with everything I had and close quarters tactic, and even had 2 other people join in and we just could not kill them. I ended up just leaving, and unsubbed shortly thereafter. When 7-8 people can't kill 2, something is clearly broken.

It may have just been their AOE detaunt stacking with the IB's guard, but i remember that problem wasn't fixed for months.

Or the healer wasn't losing AP due to a bug. Which has been recently(?) fixed I believe.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah in general a WP -is- tough, and it's the only healer that takes a lot more work for my Marauder to beat down, but they'll still die eventually if I get heals.

RP's and AM's though are my bitches, apparently myself along with two much lower fellows took out the best RP and his little AM butt buddy on my server. I think they were just zapping poor people solo grinding in LOTD, then I roll up and crush the Arch-Mage into paste, and then do the same to the Rune Priest.

Being a Marauder is fun, people who think we can't be powerful must be playing us like a spammy Choppa or something.

Arthil on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Paca in Schism is a beast. Absolute beast. rr 80 marauder.

Oh god he hurts people.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Is any class not a beast with RR80 gear when set against non-RR80 people?

Glal on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well since I didnt play during the server merges and stuff, looks likes my dest characters are on Iron Rock. So i'm gonna start a shaman. Still got a 40 chosen, dunno if I'll mess with him. What active clans/guilds are going on in this?

Also, are there useful mods for healing and such? I watch health bars above people in my area and was just going by who I see around me, but targeting can be a tad finicky...

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well since I didnt play during the server merges and stuff, looks likes my dest characters are on Iron Rock. So i'm gonna start a shaman. Still got a 40 chosen, dunno if I'll mess with him. What active clans/guilds are going on in this?

Also, are there useful mods for healing and such? I turned on nameplates and was just going by who I see around me, but targeting can be a tad finicky...

Squared.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Also, are there useful mods for healing and such? I watch health bars above people in my area and was just going by who I see around me, but targeting can be a tad finicky...

The Six Mouths is basically dead, so there are no PA specific guilds on Iron Rock. That said, there are some great guilds on Iron Rock. I'm running with The Schism, but it looks like all of the RavenHost Alliance guilds are pretty cool. Feel free to look me up (Kendrik) if you want to do some RvR. I also have a ton of alts of every tier if you're ever looking for help.

Also, Healing Mods:

Squared, Squared, and Squared. It's vital. I also use Nerfed Buttons to help reign in the massive number of skills you sometimes have to cycle, but it's a fairly complex add-on. I also recommend Pure for Unit Frames. There are ton of other Mods I use, but those are probably the most useful ones.

Kendrik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Mouths as a guild is still intact, so it would be easy for anyone to jump in and make use of it (at rank... I don't even remember. 40?)

Schism are some good guys though. Active and fun to play with.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nerfed buttons isn't so hard to use, and you can do some fun stuff with it.

I remember some WH bitching about it in the forums, about how it made BW/Sorc playable with one button (as opposed to the complexity and nuance of WHs or some bull).......so I made a WH alt and set up a full WH rotation on one button. I outperformed pretty much every other WH my level, did incredible in scens, and I only hit one button the whole time.

It's an incredibly good mod, and they've probably improved the available options even more since then.

Astale on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Have they changed the Chosen mechanics any? Or do you still need to mash a button to weave auras?

Glal on
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Morskittar wrote: »
    The Mouths as a guild is still intact, so it would be easy for anyone to jump in and make use of it (at rank... I don't even remember. 40?)

Schism are some good guys though. Active and fun to play with.

T6M are 32ish, I think.

Oats on
  • Options
    FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    Have they changed the Chosen mechanics any? Or do you still need to mash a button to weave auras?

They changed it so far as the auras don't cost any AP, and once you eventually gain the tactic that used to make them free, it actually gives you AP when you use them. Otherwise the mechanic hasn't changed. I logged in about a month ago on the free trial, and have a 20ish Chosen I toyed with for a bit.

One thing that I really didn't like, however, was that Mythic apparently removed the animations that the chosen would do when switching/using an aura. For example, when you activated the aura that increased your resistances and lowered everyone else's, you would raise your sword up in the air all bad-ass like. Not anymore. :?

Edit: What's the deal with this "Bioware Mythic" ? Is Bioware a part of Activision, or did they hand them off? I'm really not following game company acquisition/mergers anymore.

Fryhole on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I played a Chosen post-aura change and enjoyed it, but really didn't much care for having to periodically push a button to twist auras. Busywork != fun.

Glal on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Iirc there was some addon that let you twist as you used any ability or button you set it up to do? Just run around doing shit that needs done while the twisting comes along with it.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Iirc there was some addon that let you twist as you used any ability or button you set it up to do? Just run around doing shit that needs done while the twisting comes along with it.

Yup.

I think it was twister? I could set it to use the same button as a common command I press. In my case my main attack. So it would autotwist while I'm attacking people, which is the time I really don't want to be dealing with it.

The rest of the time I didn't twist unless I could see combat about to occur, which is when I would start the rotation. My twister usually had the attack buffs.
    I usually had some "function auras" specifically chosen to not be on twister, for use when I felt they would be needed. Like when I'm being defensive, I don't need to be pressing too many buttons, I mainly need to be knocking people away, keeping my parry up, having ap for hold the line if I need to use it, so at those times I would twist in the defensive auras specifically. Really helped.
    Ditto for the anti heal. I didn't run it all the time, I folded it into the twister attack rotation as I'm whacking at a healer. No point running it if you aren't attacking someone being healed/healing.

You are making me want to play my 40 chosen again, but I have to get my dok to 40 first.

Morninglord on