As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PTA] (Encore IC) Mine Hats: they're all the rage in Sinnoh

• Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    we haven't seen a character with a starter of the following types: fighting, ice, rock, steel and dragon (though the last two may be because those types are stupid powerful)

not that you should build your character around its starter, but it's food for thought

Squall on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I built both of my characters around my starter

thought of a pokemon I liked, then what kind of person would use that pokemon

Pineco and Magnemite would probably be okay as steel starters

Swablu and Trapinch are probably fine for Dragon starters.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    DJP3710DJP3710 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Squall wrote: »
    we haven't seen a character with a starter of the following types: fighting, ice, rock, steel and dragon (though the last two may be because those types are stupid powerful)

not that you should build your character around its starter, but it's food for thought

For notsoy's game, I actually made my character based around his starter. Someone in that thread mentioned Cubone, and it got me thinking about said Pokemon; from there I created a character who shared aspects with a Cubone. (What I'm saying is that I'm crazy, that's all).

In your case, Lucedes, I honestly don't have any serious suggestions. If you want to create a character to fill a hole in the team, that's cool. If you want to create a character based on an idea that comes to you, that's cool too. If you want to create a character that's an island (able to stand on their own without relying on anyone), that's also good.

I'm fairly malleable working around the strengths and weaknesses of a group. And by working around I mean exploiting terribly.

Edit: What do you mean by tone of the game? This campaign specifically or the tone of PTA?

DJP3710 on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I was totes interested in this when someone said it was undermanned, is that no longer the case

'cause I would totally play a little girl with a huge pokemon (although I'd have to find a decent starter pokemon that is huge or has potential to become huge)

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    munchlax, totodile, and swinub are some small pokemon that will eventually become very large

BugBoy on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wailmer. Munchlax. Magikarp.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    magikarp would be an awful starter

BugBoy on
  • Options
    DJP3710DJP3710 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So far we've got three character submissions posted, so I'd say yes to us being undermanned.

DJP3710 on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wailmer, do Wailmer!

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    What about

used to be my favorite

POLIWAG

edit: or a nidoran!

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    A group with a more coordinating bent might be interesting. If nothing else they'll always have loads of money.

There are definitely ways to make two coordinators have synergy, I suppose (different contest type specializations, for one thing), especially since Hardmann seems likely to multiclass into Ace trainer.

Considering what both trainers are going to want to do during downtime, I'd hope that there is both a 1st and 2nd prize available for contests though :>

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    what about larvitar, how's he

i don't know recent pokemons

i want to make a Breeder who would advance to a Pusher though :O

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Asking for Larvitar, Bagon, Dratini, Gible and similar is cheesy as all fuck. In my opinion.

Stick to Pokemon that are actually found in the wild on routes that aren't too hard to get to, or actual starters from the games.

Honestly, the 'super rare three evolution semi-legendary' pokemon lines are... y'know. They're meant to be really rare, not some punk trainer's first 'mon.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    poliwag and nidoran are both good

BugBoy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    chill, honestly

i'm just looking at pictures of pokemon and asking about things that look cool.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well it's mainly because there is a trainer with a Larvitar and a trainer with a Trapinch in one of the other games. Seems a bit over the top. Someone with a Togepi, too. It'd be sorta like starting with a Riolu.

Only Riolu's cute, so I guess that's okay.

You're better off starting with an early Pokemon from any of the games, really. Pidgey, Spearow, Rattata, Nidoran M, Nidoran F, Weedle, Caterpie, Pikachu or what-have-you. Something you can pick up in the first couple hours of play.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I don't really want something ridiculous

I am torn between Totodile, Whismur, and Nidoran Male-Sign. What do you think.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kay wrote: »
    Well it's mainly because there is a trainer with a Larvitar and a trainer with a Trapinch in one of the other games. Seems a bit over the top. Someone with a Togepi, too. It'd be sorta like starting with a Riolu.

You're better off starting with an early Pokemon from any of the games, really. Pidgey, Spearow, Rattata, Nidoran M, Nidoran F, Weedle, Caterpie, Pikachu or what-have-you. Something you can pick up in the first couple hours of play.

Yeah, but it's a physical togepi. With hustle instead of serene grace. Besides, togepi was on the list, and doesn't learn any actual damaging moves till lvl 33. And a second at 46.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I don't really want something ridiculous

I am torn between Totodile, Whismur, and Nidoran Male-Sign. What do you think.

All three of those are great, really. Whismur'd have a lot of great RP opportunities, Totodile is always amazing (make him Jolly and love to dance!), and I've always liked the Nidorans. I have a Nidoking named Elvis, and a Nidoqueen named Priscilla for a while.

You should totally make a girl with a Wailmer, though. Because I have no idea how you'd get a Wailord to follow you around. For bonus points, make it male, and capture a female Skitty as soon as you can.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Trapinch really isn't overpowered for a starter, and for someone from around that area they're not all that rare.

Flygon is strong but there's a reason that Salamence is the Dragonite analog for RSE and not him.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I still don't see how Salamence is an Uber, BTW

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    For bonus points, make it male, and capture a female Skitty as soon as you can.

:|

Squall on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    I still don't see how Salamence is an Uber, BTW

He's not

he is extremely powerful though, and super rare. Both good reasons for not allowing it as a starter.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    he is now

but this is not the thread for that

BugBoy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Trapinch really isn't overpowered for a starter, and for someone from around that area they're not all that rare.

Flygon is strong but there's a reason that Salamence is the Dragonite analog for RSE and not him.

I was pretty sure that Trapinch was really hard to find, like Bagon. I honestly don't remember where you find them, but I did have a few on Ruby when I started Diamond.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Trapinch are super easy to find in the dessert

bagon can only be found up a waterfall in one cave

BugBoy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I was pretty sure that Trapinch was really hard to find, like Bagon. I honestly don't remember where you find them, but I did have a few on Ruby when I started Diamond.
    It was that one area with a sandstorm

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    basically anyone playing with an abomasnow or tyranitar will quickly find out that their teammates hate them every time they pop out

Squall on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Actually, aren't they at will abilities in PTA?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm sort of unimpressed with Salamence as Uber. Then again I never really liked the hype around him. I didn't really think it was justified. Stopping before this turns into a "What pokemon need to be in what tier" thread.

For the person who wanted a Pineco starter. PINECO IS MINE. I SHALL HAVE A FORRETRESS! HE WILL LOVE ME AND I WILL LOVE HIM! And my dream team has a lot of steel. Not because I want to break the rules. It's just I play really defensively in all the games I play. Including pokemon. I've probably got Steel covered.

Sir Fabulous on
    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Actually, aren't they at will abilities in PTA?

actually I looked it up and they're daily abilities

thank goodness

thought it doesnt say if they need to spend a turn activating it or not

Squall on
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    DJP3710 wrote: »
    Edit: What do you mean by tone of the game? This campaign specifically or the tone of PTA?

The tone of this campaign specifically, though I guess this one is looking like a bunch of coordinators / breeders so far. Especially since I sort of also want to be a Breeder.

The other campaigns can be super thwarting-evil or whatever. We'll be winning contests, breeding awesome pocket monsters, and generally rolling in cash moneys.

I'm considering the following 'mons, because they're generally awesome:
    -Murkrow (Ace Trainer choice)
    -Swinub (Cute, and an Ice type!)
    -Mareep (Cute! Also, I love the shepherd-theme with breeders.)

Lucedes on
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What are you talking about, we can thwart evil while rolling in cash.

Has that ever truly stopped anyone before?

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Go with Mareep! Go with Mareep! Ampharos is the coolest Electric type without a doubt!

Sir Fabulous on

• Options
    edited July 2010
    BugBoy wrote: »
    he is now

but this is not the thread for that

Whoa seriously

huh

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yep. A council of nine met and held a vote. He's followed in the steps of Garchomp. I didn't really use him all that much anyway. Meh.

Sir Fabulous on

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have two questions:
    --Can my trainer have hatched her first pokemon from an egg, or does it need to be one she caught? I'm thinking her parents bought it for her as a present, and she hatched and raised it herself, with a little bit of parental assistance. Swinub and Mareep both start out with pretty low stats, Swinub especially.

--Does PTA round numbers up or down? Does half of 3 end up as 1, or as 2?

Lucedes on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    BugBoy wrote: »
    magikarp would be an awful starter

Required posting.
    2010-04-19.jpg

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    To be fair, he gets good mileage out of that magikarp.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lucedes wrote: »
    I have two questions:
    --Can my trainer have hatched her first pokemon from an egg, or does it need to be one she caught? I'm thinking her parents bought it for her as a present, and she hatched and raised it herself, with a little bit of parental assistance. Swinub and Mareep both start out with pretty low stats, Swinub especially.

--Does PTA round numbers up or down? Does half of 3 end up as 1, or as 2?

You can fluff how you got your pokemon however you want, but egg moves and such are dependent upon the DM(PM?)'s whims.
    To be fair, he gets good mileage out of that magikarp.

Those poor Ratattas.

Carnarvon on