As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

arrested develo[chat]

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It is very underrated

Stops aliens cold, chains to multiple dudes, and can't hurt your team?

SUPER helpful

Arch on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I hate the Tesla cannon. It feels weak as hell.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just ordered all the Scott Pilgrim books. Time to catch up with you trendy fuckers.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I mean obviously Dragonball Z's enjoyment factor is mostly nostalgia. If it was released today and was paced exactly the same it would be terrible. But it's so cheesy and over the top and I love it.

I think I grew up too fast or something. It used to be my favorite show in, like, late elementary or early middle school

Then one day as I rushed into my home to watch it

It was during the Cell bullshit I believe

I realized that every fight was exactly the same and that it took like a month for anything to happen and I was just like, "This is stupid," and stopped watching.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EllieEllie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It apparently takes me five pages of [Chat] to shower. I have returned all squeaky clean. I'm not sure what it says about me that I am absolutely giddy about my shampoo being made from, and smelling of stout. It's not like I'd think to wash my hair with Guinness or something, but it's cool anyway. The real test is to see how it looks when it dries.

Big money, no [strike]Whammies[/strike] frizzies!

Ellie on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    So Organichu you just think it's fake that was crafted with the intention of being popular, like a commercial or a boy band?

no, i can't really assume that. my guess is the author really loves the stuff, too. he's not reading these elements out of a style guide- he's probably making the comic he'd love if someone else made it for him. it's just very tightly treehousey. it has 0 appeal for me, as someone who doesn't smile at the never ending reference.

OK cool, I understand your beef now. Kinda like how there's plenty of people I know and like and share the same interest in who cannot-stand quinton tarintino.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    So Organichu you just think it's fake that was crafted with the intention of being popular, like a commercial or a boy band?

no, i can't really assume that. my guess is the author really loves the stuff, too. he's not reading these elements out of a style guide- he's probably making the comic he'd love if someone else made it for him. it's just very tightly treehousey. it has 0 appeal for me, as someone who doesn't smile at the never ending reference.

It's not pandering if you're making a comic you would personally like.

That's how most things are created. People create things that they personally like and hope that others will like it too.

yes, it is

afaik the word pander doesn't specify that the 'panderer' wouldn't himself enjoy what's he's pandering. it's just about offering up, for indulgence, something silly and pitiful that you know people will eat up

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    just remember to think of me when you read volume three

Arch on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    New Mitchell & Webb to watch on iPlayer. Glory be.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ellie wrote: »
    It apparently takes me five pages of [Chat] to shower. I have returned all squeaky clean. I'm not sure what it says about me that I am absolutely giddy about my shampoo being made from, and smelling of stout. It's not like I'd think to wash my hair with Guinness or something, but it's cool anyway. The real test is to see how it looks when it dries.

Big money, no [strike]Whammies[/strike] frizzies!

Oh man, I just thought of something so awesomely creepy I'm gonna have to PM it to you instead of posting it in [chat].

<3<3<3

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    just remember to think of me when you read volume three

I'm assuming that features the vegan. I'm sure I will.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I like Scott Pilgrim's art. It has a distinct style that's impossible to confuse with something else and the facial expressions are great.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »

OK cool, I understand your beef now. Kinda like how there's plenty of people I know and like and share the same interest in who cannot-stand quinton tarintino.

If Quentin Tarantino was an interstellar dictator, that would be the correct spelling of his name.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    Winky wrote: »

I understand in the same way that you might enjoy a comic that was chock-full of MMA and gun references and was about killing Palestinians but I might not.

no, i don't think i'd enjoy that comic either (the stuff about palestinians aside). i think just about anything that chock full of overwhelming, unending head nods and name drops would make me groan, even if i liked the stuff. i'd be self-aware of how ridiculous it was and i don't think i could enjoy it in earnest.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh man, I just thought of something so awesomely creepy I'm gonna have to PM it to you instead of posting it in [chat].

<3<3<3
    rotfl I can hardly wait. You're a terrible human being and I love you.

Ellie on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tesla cannon is good times against the shield dudes. Stuns 'em while your more well armed compatriots blast it in the shiny parts.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I stayed up all night then took a five hour walk.

I'm all tired as fuck out now.

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Tesla cannon is good times against the shield dudes. Stuns 'em while your more well armed compatriots blast it in the shiny parts.

tesla gun +chainsaw is stupidly powerful if you have quick fingers

Arch on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The continuing descriptions of Scott Pilgrim here has made it move farther down my list to buy. I think it is below Ultimates now.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    @Joker: Oh my God, that was so terrible. No you can't, because I took a shower. And that's gross. :lol:

Ellie on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010

<3<3<3
    rotfl I can hardly wait. You're a terrible human being and I love you.

The feeling is mutual (The love part, not the terrible human being part)

Jokerman on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Arch wishes he was half the size of Brandon Routh.

He wishes so hard...

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    PantsB wrote: »
    Never quite got how pro-marijuana legalization people didn't think this kind (and subsequent nigh monopoly of pot by some combination of Big Tobacco or Big Pharma that will/would follow) of thing was inevitable.

Yeah, sure is something. Oakland is ahead of the curve on this stuff too. Check out measure Z. There's a dispensary that doesn't require a medical card, and it's pseudo-legit under the law. Fucking crazy man.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    @Joker: Oh my God, that was so terrible. No you can't, because I took a shower. And that's gross. :lol:

Maybe you could let me build a spiggot to direct your shower water into a holding tub?

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

It's not pandering if you're making a comic you would personally like.

That's how most things are created. People create things that they personally like and hope that others will like it too.

yes, it is

afaik the word pander doesn't specify that the 'panderer' wouldn't himself enjoy what's he's pandering. it's just about offering up, for indulgence, something silly and pitiful that you know people will eat up

This is pretty ridiculous. I don't understand why this comic gets you so upset you have to trash it by using words like "pitiful". It's doubly ridiculous because you have interests that others don't understand and you get shit for it but here you are giving shit in kind.

Anyway, the sticking point is the intention of the creator. I just asked if you thought it was crafted with the intention of being popular and you said you couldn't assume that, but now you say that it was made knowing that people would eat it up, so what the hell are you talking about.

I think the creator likes these things and he made a comic about them. The comic is over-the-top and fun.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    The continuing descriptions of Scott Pilgrim here has made it move farther down my list to buy. I think it is below Ultimates now.

Scott Pilgrim: Less Appealing Than Spousal Abuse

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Don't think I have the saw yet. Made it to... uh... level 15 maybe? I likes me the freeze grenades!

firewaterword on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Ellie, I have to be honest with you.

I have no idea what Stout is or why you're excited it's in shampoo.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Arch wishes he was half the size of Brandon Routh.

He wishes so hard...

yeah i know

but really i just wish vegan-ocity came with psychic powers because i would drop milk, cheese, and eggs in a heartbeat

Arch on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Haha holy shit, Jokerman :lol:

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Don't think I have the saw yet. Made it to... uh... level 15 maybe? I likes me the freeze grenades!

Oh, you can pick up the chainsaw in one of the levels. I am only like level 8

Arch on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ssoooo tired

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

stout? like the beer?

Arch on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm tired of you, Greeper!

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

stout? like the beer?

Ding ding ding ding! :^:

Ellie on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010

One day man, i'm gonna cross that line too far and ellie's gonna be done with me.

:(:(:(:(

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    i couldnt shower with it Ellie, I would be too tempted to eat the soap

Arch on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    This is pretty ridiculous. I don't understand why this comic gets you so upset you have to trash it by using words like "pitiful". It's doubly ridiculous because you have interests that others don't understand and you get shit for it but here you are giving shit in kind.

I don't know what context I'd use the word "pitiful" within.

I guess I pity Tom Cruise, assuming he really is a self-hating closet case.

Also, animals caught in bear traps.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

One day man, i'm gonna cross that line too far and ellie's gonna be done with me.

:(:(:(:(

damit are you two e-dating as well

Arch on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yessss. Been rolling with the medic so far. I likes. I likes the tesla cannon a lot. I ran into issues keeping people alive around the infestation level though. Not sure if I should rock the health gun or the packs (or, ugh, BOTH).

But the tesla cannon is salvation.

I loved the tesla cannon on my tech guy

I tried that cannon too, because I was anxious about any friendly fire damage (I did get 100/100 on a level 8-) go go team player).

Actually my favorite weapon was the chainsaw, but it seems impractical.

desc on
This discussion has been closed.