As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Halo Reach's Forge 2.0: Superhuge map, Parts, Objective Objects

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i wonder if you could make the Hill = Rocket Launcher or some other weapon

Joolander on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Joolander wrote: »

In Halo 3 the Hill has attributes it can pass on. I'm not sure if weapons are one of them though. You could probably set it so that you have infinite ammo and don't need to reload while in the hill, but I doubt you can force a weapon into someone's hand.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How much does a man cannon cost?

joshgotro on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    no, i mean like you have to lug the thing around and sacrifice a weapon slot to hold the hill

EDIT: wait, i guess that be alot like oddball :?

Joolander on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That sounds like Oddball.

Arteen on
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think my favorite thing about Forge World is the environment itself. I hated Sandbox visually.

Looking forward to making, and playing, on some class-based maps.

Shamus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You all have given me the idea of creating a KotH map with the hill constantly floating in the sky, wth man cannons and grav lifts being the only way to get points in there. I'd make the hill super tall so that a single man cannon shot could potentially get you 10 seconds worth or something, but of course, being airborne makes you super vulnerable.

Kor on
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kor wrote: »
    Joolander wrote: »

In Halo 3 the Hill has attributes it can pass on. I'm not sure if weapons are one of them though. You could probably set it so that you have infinite ammo and don't need to reload while in the hill, but I doubt you can force a weapon into someone's hand.

Juggernaut forces a weapon into your hand, so it's certainly in the realm of possibility.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    I ... kinda don't know what's so great about this. It's a map editor that doesn't actually allow to manipulate the terrain, so you're just left with moving objects around.

The issue with editing terrain in the Halo engine is that well.. the Halo engine still considers a map as a bunch of polygons compiled into their tag system and shown, with the lighting built around working off the same model.

Far Cry's engine uses a heightmap to determine terrain and has special objects they stick into the ground to simulate sheer cliffs and so on.

I mean I love Far Cry and Far Cry 2's map editor. I probably make a map for fun in FC2 about once a week. However, the limitation of the height map terrain editing in FC is that I would never made a close quarters map, and indoor maps are a pain in the ass to make as well. Plus most Far Cry multiplayer games are fairly large, so the 'big map' setup works well for it.

Forge comes in somewhere between Far Cry and Timesplitters in functionality. We don't have full terrain editing like Far Cry, but to be honest about that, most Halo maps should be made with 8 or so people in mind, not 16. We can make indoor style maps with ease because of how the Forerunner visual works, and the same pieces can be used to make outdoor maps.

Of course, Timesplitters is on the other end of the spectrum. It's pretty great for making indoor maps, but piss poor for making outdoor style ones.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Willeth wrote: »
    I want to see Facing Worlds hovering 1 mile over the forge world.

There's a Facing Worlds remake for Halo 3. It doesn't work too well.

I'd say if you were going to do it, expansion would be needed, maybe some low cover across the main path. A direct rip wouldn't work well, I agree.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wait, I thought you got rid of Farcry 2 since it doesn't have Legacy, Fyre.

Also getting some nice ideas for partially submerged maps after reading Bungie's entry about the guy making a map near the waterfalls. Dammit, September cannot come soon enough.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i have a great idea for my map... i plan to place killzones along the bottom of the canyon, and then build large bridge structures from one end of each cliff to the next.
    my initial idea was to remake this map from halo PC but i realized the interior walls of this map would be hard to replicate. in my new idea i have bases on either side of the canyon, with 3 bridges spread across. here's a rough sketch
    281x47r.jpg
    the purple squares are mancannons. the bridges are not level, but it's tough to convey that. the middle bridge is raised. the mancannons are the main way to get from base to base. using a jetpack you can cross the gaps between the bridges, or use one of the banshees that spawn on the far end of each bridge in front of each base.
    and yep, really want to make this map.
    fore getting it right.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Wait, I thought you got rid of Farcry 2 since it doesn't have Legacy, Fyre.

Also getting some nice ideas for partially submerged maps after reading Bungie's entry about the guy making a map near the waterfalls. Dammit, September cannot come soon enough.

Got rid of the Xbox version, bought the PC version when Steam was selling it for 10$. I've only ever played like 15 minutes of the solo, but about 20 hours in the map editor..

The only down thing about FC2 is that it pretty much just built off the one in Far Cry Instincts. It's just more objects, not more functionality.

Back on topic, I'm trying to see if I can get some interview questions answered about Forge World. We'll see how it goes, since I understand that if any mags or sites have called DIBS I can't get questions answered, but I tried to stick to ones that I feel would be answered in a Bungie.net thread

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Also Urk is doing a weekly series on Forging a map on FW. Should be a good one to follow.

http://www.bungie.net/News/Blog.aspx?mode=news#Incomp_Cartog_1

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I haven't looked much at the stuff in the OP yet, but I was pretty disappointed in Forge for Halo 3. This sounds like it's a lot better.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You all have given me the idea of creating a KotH map with the hill constantly floating in the sky, wth man cannons and grav lifts being the only way to get points in there. I'd make the hill super tall so that a single man cannon shot could potentially get you 10 seconds worth or something, but of course, being airborne makes you super vulnerable.

Jetpacks.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Willeth wrote: »

Jetpacks.

With a jetpack you're a slower moving target.
    Hell, give everyone the Focus rifle for that KotH. Use it's "push" properties to screw with people's trajectories.

I like it.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh hey, Urk posted Part 2 of his Forge thing over on Bungie.net. He goes into first-person mode to properly show the size of the map; definitely much bigger than it looked in the monitor views.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was thinking of making a capture flag map make two floating bases in the air, and you have to take falcons and banshees to get on the other side, where falcons can take people to the other base, and banshees could protect but also keep control of falcons trying to bring troops into their bases. Flags would be in the back of the base, with a teleporter in the flag room to teleport back to the "hangar" so the flag carrier can take a banshee or falcon back to their base. 1-3 rocket launchers could spawn in the bases so the teams could shoot them down so wouldn't get raped by the banshees or falcons just because they didn't have anything to fight back with. I don't want a bridge to the bases because I want people to try to strategically get to the other base. It's kind of like the old space maps from Battlefront 2. Its flawed, but any opinions would be appreciated

Kadoken on
  • Options
    B for BusinessB for Business Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I was thinking of making a capture flag map make two floating bases in the air, and you have to take falcons and banshees to get on the other side, where falcons can take people to the other base, and banshees could protect but also keep control of falcons trying to bring troops into their bases. Flags would be in the back of the base, with a teleporter in the flag room to teleport back to the "hangar" so the flag carrier can take a banshee or falcon back to their base. 1-3 rocket launchers could spawn in the bases so the teams could shoot them down so wouldn't get raped by the banshees or falcons just because they didn't have anything to fight back with. I don't want a bridge to the bases because I want people to try to strategically get to the other base. It's kind of like the old space maps from Battlefront 2. Its flawed, but any opinions would be appreciated

if you could pull that off, that would be badass.

B for Business on
    Xbox Live - Jaxon121906 10k
    PSN - B_for_Business
  • Options
    Kaiju15Kaiju15 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Seconded. Would people be able to snipe from base to base, or would that be too much of a clusterfuck like 2fort in TF2?

Kaiju15 on
    It is your duty as a filmgoer to see Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World.
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, someone in here had the idea of a midair KotH, where you have to use mancannons and jetpacks to stay in it for points. I just thought of the best level to do this in. Remade Boarding Action!

May have to scale it down a little bit, but with jetpacks and mancannons you have more ways across than just teleporters. And more ranged weapons that pistols and snipers as in original.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Kaiju15 wrote: »

Seconded. Would people be able to snipe from base to base, or would that be too much of a clusterfuck like 2fort in TF2?

Sounds cool, but there will be issues when one team takes control of all of the vehicles. Even with anti-vehicle weapons, it can turn into a slaughter. You will be able to control this somewhat with a 1 way shield door (spawn in the vehicle hangar, 1 way door to keep the enemies out)... but even with this solution, one team can sit outside with rockets/vehicles and kill things as they come out.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    possible solution is to have two hangars? would be hard to control two hangars, and if you spawn the rockets in there they could fight back well enough

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Any idea if kill zones can be team specific? Make the spawn area for each team death for the other!

Arrath on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kaiju15 wrote: »
    No, I don't want anyone to kill someone waiting for a ride in the hangar and being a douche. If they would allow at least 6 banshees and 8 falcons, in the Hangar, I could put 2 falcons and 1 banshee (7 people) in each base, I choose that number because it would leave one player to defend the base. Or perhaps I could put 1 falcon and 2 banshees (5 people) and let 3 people defend the base. I want to make some people stay so it would be a bit balanced. There could be a floating outpost in the middle of the map, that could have 1 (only) banshee rewarding those who strike first with a power weapon, and machine guns on 2 sides facing each base. These wouldn't be used to camp the hangars (Machine guns are too inaccurate), but to take air control on banshees and falcons. However, this could make it unbalanced. However, these bases are going to be pretty far apart (I would say, 65%-75% the distance it takes to get to red base to blue base in Blood Gulch (Hemorrhage) so perhaps if I could make the middle outpost have a big wall on the sides (Small enough so you could fly high above them, but big enough you can't snipe the other base) so I could have sniper rifles, but then someone could just get a sniper and take it to the outpost and camp the other base. Decisions, decisions =P.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    Sounds cool, but there will be issues when one team takes control of all of the vehicles. Even with anti-vehicle weapons, it can turn into a slaughter. You will be able to control this somewhat with a 1 way shield door (spawn in the vehicle hangar, 1 way door to keep the enemies out)... but even with this solution, one team can sit outside with rockets/vehicles and kill things as they come out.
    Yes, but you need a hangar open to the enemy so they can get out, because it would be hard as shit to get another hornet just to rescue them. Perhaps 2 hangars would work, but only have a hornet in the open one. Hmm, than limit the rocket launchers to 1, so the teams don't whore the rockets, and make them spawn enough so if you accidently waste some ammo trying to shoot down something, but not enough that everyone will be waiting for it and try to whore his opponents. Also, 2 levels to get in, one below for vehicles, one on top to land. Also, you have to take in account that banshees and falcons can shoot down the guy with the launcher.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Holy crap, I just realized that a rebuilt Boarding Action could actually be playable with jetpacks.

Also, if you can create two floating bases, I would imagine putting up some floating barriers to prevent hugely aggravating sniping would be entirely possible. Or to make things even more simple, keep things close enough to make sniper rifles counterproductive. Or to make things really simple, don't even put sniper rifles on the map.

Plus, intermediary elements with teleporters and walkways for foot travel would reduce the need for so many air vehicles.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Holy crap, I just realized that a rebuilt Boarding Action could actually be playable with jetpacks.

Also, if you can create two floating bases, I would imagine putting up some floating barriers to prevent hugely aggravating sniping would be entirely possible. Or to make things even more simple, keep things close enough to make sniper rifles counterproductive. Or to make things really simple, don't even put sniper rifles on the map.

Plus, intermediary elements with teleporters and walkways for foot travel would reduce the need for so many air vehicles.
    The point of the map is to play strategically, make those banshees protect that falcon carrying those soldiers, also it would be pretty fun to dog fight. I don't want to do walkways because their not what I'm looking for in this map, the air vehicle focus gives it something new and not just foot fighting over and over, not that its bad (However, I do want people to fight in the bases). I don't want teleporters because it destroys the point too. I probably won't put snipers on there to begin with.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So I don't know if it was mentioned, but in Urk's map he's making, apparently there is an item that chooses where there camera is centered during your loadout screen.

Also, I'd love to remake boarding action. I tried to remake it once in Halo 3 and there simply wasn't a budget for it. I could barely create half the map.

Kor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Different structures floating in between the two bases could provide sight blockers for snipers... you could make it so people can't stand on them too. They would also make falcon vs falcon fights more fun.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, that sounds cool, it would make falcons and banshees have cover so people wouldn't see them coming a mile away, plus they could dodge behind them when fired on, though I don't know what the structures would be, unless you can pile a bunch of rocks into a tower to make cover. I wouldn't want them to stand on them to use snipers or rocket launchers for camping the vehicles however, so they would have to be slanted. Or maybe I can just put a bunch of floating walls, instead of something that makes sense. Ill have to see when Reach comes out.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I suppose if you kick up the vehicle respawn rate, then not having enough vehicles for everybody won't be a problem. Why not just put hangars on both sides and protect them with one-way barriers? The enemy team would be really, really hard pressed to take all of the vehicles, both teams would have a ready supply of air vehicles, and you wouldn't have to worry about a couple guys camping all the enemy vehicles to death.

Another option would be infinite jetpack time and/or some floating infantry-sized landing platforms between the bases. Obviously vehicles would be the preferred transportation since jetpacks are so slow, but it gives another tactical option.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    1st part. If the vehicles only respawn when they get destroyed that would be fine. I don't want people camping for 8 banshees. Also, Im putting hangars on both sides, and I need it opened somewhere so when an enemy grabs your flag, he can get out with it, and not just be stuck there waiting for a friend.

2nd part, I would allow people jetpacks, but not infinite ones. I thought of the infantry-sized platforms in the middle, in the form of an outpost in the middle of the map, with machine guns (1 for each side) facing the bases (Far enough not to camp the hangars, but good enough for air control), and a banshee in the middle to reward those who don't wait for power weapons at the base, (Waits for rocket launcher to get back just to be a douche) and go out and start the fight. Im only putting 1-2 rockets in each base, but thats only to shoot down vehicles. The fast respawn rate would make things easier, but not too fast. I will not put walk ways or teleporters, it eliminates the strategic part of the map, which is to use teamwork to get those vehicles and soldiers to the other side, and capture that flag. I really would like to have my friends and PA forum players to try the map, and test it.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Even with a fast respawn rate (or force the game to have X vehicles spawned at all times), there can be problems without a 1 way shield door. Team A flies over to the enemy base, steals team B's vehicles, then destroys the vehicles they used to fly over there. The first vehicles to respawn will be at team A's base. Team B's vehicles will never respawn because you are at the max amount of vehicles on the map.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    But then what? Team A can't leave without vehicles and Team B can't get through the defenses to swipe the flag. Plus, even a single rocket pod on a 3-4 minute timer would make it just about impossible for the entire enemy team to survive all the incoming enemy fire and the homing rockets.

And to be really really sure, you could always make each team spawn in their hangar with one-way barriers the only way out. Then only that team can access their own vehicles and the other guys have to coordinate their own vehicle usage without being able to steal every vehicle on the map.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    But then what? Team A can't leave without vehicles and Team B can't get through the defenses to swipe the flag. Plus, even a single rocket pod on a 3-4 minute timer would make it just about impossible for the entire enemy team to survive all the incoming enemy fire and the homing rockets.

In the situation I described, team A has all the vehicles, both the ones they are flying around in, and the ones back at their base (team B can't cross the map to get to them). We don't know the power of Falcons/Banshees in Reach, but 3-4 people in a vehicle focusing on a single guy will take him out before he does any damage with rockets. I'm not saying this situation is impossible to break out of, but it's easy to set up and ends up being no fun at all for one team.
    And to be really really sure, you could always make each team spawn in their hangar with one-way barriers the only way out. Then only that team can access their own vehicles and the other guys have to coordinate their own vehicle usage without being able to steal every vehicle on the map.

Yeah, this is the solution. It sounded like Kadoken wanted open hangars, I was just giving a reason why this might not be the best idea.

Edit: Another idea is to have a vehicle only teleporter in the hangar. Have the exit be somewhere towards the middle of the map (or maybe 2 exits, chosen randomly). This would prevent one team from sitting on the base with vehicles... and open up teamwork/flanking options.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oooh yeah teleporters is an interesting idea.

Arrath on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Have shield doors that double as teleporters

they function as normal doors that allow vehicles through, which enables you to land in the hangar, but when a player tries to leave the hangar on his own he teleports back to the back of the hangar or something

T4CT on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Pretty much any method which lets one team into the area with the majority of the enemy team's vehicles is going to leave the map with the same problem. The simplest surefire way of keeping a team from swiping all the vehicles is to completely prevent them from being able to access the enemy hangar (or at least most of the enemy hangar) via one-way barriers and spawn points.

One less draconian option would be a one-way route from the flag chamber to the hangar or hangars. Then the only way for Team A to get Team B's vehicles is to go through the flag chamber and completely ignore the flag itself. So the enemy team could still steal vehicles for douchebaggery, but they would have to fight through the base, get to the flag room, ignore the flag, go into the enemy spawn, steal the vehicles, and then successfully escape. All of that would require a lot more effort than simply getting the flag and escaping like your supposed to anyway. Plus, it would put more emphasis on tactical fighting and escape instead of just bum-rushing a base until somebody can toss the flag out.

Ninja Snarl P on