Options

It's the Weapon of Choice

BroloBrolo BroseidonLord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
edited August 2010 in Social Entropy++
I'm a pretty horrible pacifist. Really I'm just a pacifist because I don't have much of a reason to hurt anybody.

But that doesn't stop me from getting a weapons-grade boner over man's ability to hurt and destroy other living things. Using incredibly sophisticated, billion-dollar hardware like this:

F-35.jpg
The F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter

700CDL-prod.ashx?w=570&bc=ffffff
Maybe you're a red blooded American.

rapiervssabre.gif
Maybe you kick it old school.

fist4.jpg
Or you punch it older school.

m16a.jpg
You could be a service member.

nuclear.jpg
Or be compensating for the size of your member.

298566494_7c0f2d3fd7_o.jpg
Either way no matter how outlandish a weapon you choose, remember that

boardwithnails.jpg
those who live by the board with nails in it will die by a board with nails in it.

So let's talk about warring and fightin' and killin' and the sweet science behind it. While the idea of being hurt and maimed and killed horribly sounds really awful if it were to happen to me, the methodology behind it happening to other people is really intriguing! I'm especially a sucker for looking up ridiculous science-fiction-like weaponry on Wikipedia, like how the Germans had plans for impossibly large land tanks, or the SR-71 Blackbird which was designed 40 years ago but remains the fastest and highest flying airplane in the world, to the Gay Bomb. But I'm sure people will also want to talk about their gun collections and martial arts and other neat things as well.

Brolo on

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    that second to last picture is ridiculously amazing

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    gunsword1.jpg

Hunter on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    katanas are the best sword right

but seriously, I realize weapons are made for killing, but dear Jesus, guns and swords can be elegant and beautiful

Tam on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    you didn't mention dirty harry style

zeus_000.jpg

Jars on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

It's a shame it's not a real saw. That thing on the end is actually used to shovel out loads of dirt from excavation sites.

Brolo on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
  • Options
    GalacticGalactic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm waiting to see that second to last pic transform into an Autobot with a buzzsaw arm.

Galactic on
    ^_-;

Too Galactic for you.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Tam wrote: »
    katanas are the best sword right

but seriously, I realize weapons are made for killing, but dear Jesus, guns and swords can be elegant and beautiful

Actually, for sheer body count this is the best sword.

gladii3.jpg

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    the SR-71 blackbird is one of the best looking planes ever made
    from the top, mostly

Tam on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Mark me down as another pacifist with an interest in weapons.

Mainly punching it old-school though. Karate for 8 years, and I've never been in a real fight. It's been 4-5 years since I've trained though. I've tried a couple other martial arts since, but I've either not enjoyed them, or not enjoyed the school's rates (the only capoeira school around here is hells of expensive).

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ?id=725X1342&site=thedarkblade.wordpress.com&url=http%3A%2F%2Fi153.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fs216%2Fphyreblade_blog%2FGun%2520Katar%2FGunKatar08.jpg&sref=http%3A%2F%2Fthedarkblade.wordpress.com%2F

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    GalacticGalactic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Here's my weapon of choice:

gundam.jpg

Galactic on
    ^_-;

Too Galactic for you.
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    my penis

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    GeoMitchGeoMitch Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i was at a swap meet the other day and this dude was selling these crazy ass blades
    like, one you could slider onto your finger and it had a blade at the end
    a sword with brass knuckles
    dual edge dagger thingy with brass knuckles

GeoMitch on
    Gamertag: GeoMtch Steam Google+
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    but pretty ain't just for jet planes, no sir

p-51-mustang-1.jpg

Tam on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    from the top, mostly

It is indeed:

sr71-1.jpg

The A-10 is an ugly sonofabitch but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBXrogB8L08

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Fearghaill wrote: »

Mainly punching it old-school though. Karate for 8 years, and I've never been in a real fight. It's been 4-5 years since I've trained though. I've tried a couple other martial arts since, but I've either not enjoyed them, or not enjoyed the school's rates (the only capoeira school around here is hells of expensive).

I actually have done some boxing recently, just as a means of getting out and doing something.

Holy crap does boxing reveal how out of shape and pathetic your body really is. Three three-minute rounds is the longest amount of time.

Brolo on
  • Options
    Dorktron9000Dorktron9000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    IT'S GOT A DRAGON

ON THE BLADE

Dorktron9000 on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh man, A-10 and the SR-71?

Good job Jess.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    3377659593_427d5cb38d_z.jpg

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'd own a gun for target shooting and the like.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rolo wrote: »

It's a shame it's not a real saw. That thing on the end is actually used to shovel out loads of dirt from excavation sites.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Garzweiler,+Deutschland&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=44.847503,79.013672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Garzweiler,+North+Rhine-Westphalia,+Germany&ll=51.06365,6.507425&spn=0.021226,0.038581&t=h&z=15

Bagger 288 on Google Maps, to give a sense of scale.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    alright, we all know there are certain people who wank over these too much, but really, they are quite aesthetically pleasing:

japanese-swords-samurai-swords-musashi-maou-kaze-katana.jpg

Tam on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I actually have done some boxing recently, just as a means of getting out and doing something.

Holy crap does boxing reveal how out of shape and pathetic your body really is. Three three-minute rounds is the longest amount of time.

I'm not nearly in the shape I was in while I was training regularly, but god damn was I not prepared for what my first Capoeira class did to me. I've never felt that close to passing out during a workout. Granted, I've also never spent 1/3-1/2 of a workout upside down.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I enjoy my Walther P99. Fun for target practice and good just incase someone decides to break into my home.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Tonkka wrote: »
    Oh man, A-10 and the SR-71?

Good job Jess.

Why thank you

I'll see what I can dig up for the underwater weaponry, but there's much less stuff out there

Usagi on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    why yes, i DO Want Weapon Pictures, i think i'll go visit www.HK94.com

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Usagi wrote: »
    from the top, mostly

It is indeed:

The A-10 is an ugly sonofabitch but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBXrogB8L08

Oh I fucking love the A-10.

300px-A-10_Thunderbolt_II_In-flight-2.jpg
    The A-10 is exceptionally tough. Its strong airframe can survive direct hits from armor-piercing and high-explosive projectiles up to 23 mm. The aircraft has triple redundancy in its flight systems, with mechanical systems to back up double-redundant hydraulic systems. This permits pilots to fly and land when hydraulic power or part of a wing is lost. Flight without hydraulic power uses the manual reversion flight control system; this engages automatically for pitch and yaw control, and under pilot control (manual reversion switch) for roll control. In manual reversion mode, the A-10 is sufficiently controllable under favorable conditions to return to base and land, though control forces are much higher than normal. The aircraft is designed to fly with one engine, one tail, one elevator and half a wing torn off.[39] Its self-sealing fuel tanks are protected by fire-retardant foam.[40] The A-10's main landing gear is designed so that the wheels semi-protrude from their nacelles when the gear is retracted so as to make gear-up landings (belly landing) easier to control and less damaging to the aircraft's underside. A belly landing would be required in the case of a landing gear failure. Additionally, the landing gear are all hinged toward the rear of the aircraft, so if hydraulic power is lost the pilot can drop the gear and a combination of gravity and wind resistance will open and lock the gear in place.[34]

The cockpit and parts of the flight-control system are protected by 1,200 lb (540 kg) titanium armor, referred to as a "bathtub".[41][42] The armor has been tested to withstand strikes from 23 mm cannon fire and some strikes from 57 mm rounds.[41] It is made up of titanium plates with thicknesses from 0.5 to 1.5 inches (13 to 38 mm) determined by a study of likely trajectories and deflection angles. This protection comes at a cost, though; the armor itself weighs almost 6% of the entire aircraft's empty weight. To protect the pilot from the fragmentation likely to be created from impact of a shell, any interior surface of the tub that is directly exposed to the pilot is covered by a multi-layer nylon spall shield.[40][43] The front windscreen and canopy are resistant to small arms fire.[44]

Proof of the durability of the A-10 was shown when then-Captain Kim Campbell, USAF, flying a ground support mission over Baghdad during the 2003 invasion of Iraq on 7 April, suffered extensive flak damage to her A-10. Enemy fire damaged one of the A-10's engines and crippled its hydraulic system, forcing the back-up mechanical system to operate the aircraft's stabilizer and flight controls. Despite this, Campbell managed to fly it for an hour and landed it safely at the air base in manual reversion mode.[45][46][47]

It's the kind of legendary toughness that makes me cheer. It's like the flying version of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kmfx2uNzss&feature=related

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    also

khukuri.jpg

maybe an acquired taste
    I like them

Tam on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The A-10 is beautiful.

It's just so utilitarian, built tough to do some ass-whoopin'.

The sound that thing makes too... scary.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I'm not nearly in the shape I was in while I was training regularly, but god damn was I not prepared for what my first Capoeira class did to me. I've never felt that close to passing out during a workout. Granted, I've also never spent 1/3-1/2 of a workout upside down.

After about a month of just working out and getting pointers on my technique, I was put into a simple practise bout with a twelve year old who had been boxing with the gym since he was six. I had a foot and a half longer reach, and I outweighed him by maybe 50 pounds.

I got through one round and was completely out of breath. By the second round I couldn't move my legs anymore or keep my guard up. By the third round he was just able to walk up to me and push me over, pretty sure I didn't throw or land an actual punch.

Brolo on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    also

khukuri.jpg

maybe an acquired taste
    I like them

My great-uncle once told a story about how he and a Ghurka were once mugged while out and about in Asia

But apparently despite being off duty the Ghurka still had his equipment and when he advanced out of the dark alley, drawing his khukuri and advancing on the three men, they all fled and one of the buggers soiled himself

Those guys have one hell of a rep

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I wanted to be one when I was a kid
    Then my Dad told me we weren't the right kind of people

Tam on
  • Options
    HerkimerHerkimer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Brits designed some classy-looking planes back in the day

spitfire-oz.jpg

mosquito-lr.jpg

Herkimer on
  • Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    P-51 and P-38 all the way.

EDIT: To clarify, P-51D.

msuitepyon on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I've always loved this guy.

FNP90.jpg

Tonkka on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    anthrax%20spores.jpg

For deer hunting.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yes Tonkka, YES!

Fandeathis on
    You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The A-10 is like my favorite combat aircraft of all time. It's a frigging flying tank.

Also target shooting is really fun and I would suggest anyone who hasn't to visit their local firing range.

BlueDestiny on
This discussion has been closed.