As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Comic Thread for Monday, August 23

Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Social Entropy++
979299305_WsMkV-L.jpg

Centipede Damascus on

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't think I've ever seen Gabe from that perspective. That right armclaw is terrifying.

I'm also hoping that Tycho is purchasing those dinosaurs that grow when you put them in water. Looks close enough to me.

JAEF on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    yessss

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I liked this comic but Gabe's shoulders look a little weird to me in the 2nd panel.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    FactorySquirrelFactorySquirrel Marceline's Henchman Land of OooRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What is D&D essentials?

FactorySquirrel on
    "That man is playing Galaga! He thought we wouldn't notice. But we did."
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I haven't yet begun to care about 4.0 and now there's a 4.5? I guess I WILL be waiting for 5.0

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    wait seriously there's a 4.5 already?

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wait what the hell is D&D Essentials?

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm not sure its an official 4.5 by name, but its something like revising mechanics and the monster manual? I don't know, the first google hit for it was a huge article with no quick summary on what it was

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    What is D&D essentials?

http://tinyurl.com/2ejqvwa

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Damnit CD I was two seconds from posting that exact same thing.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I like firefoxes ability to just highlight a bit of text and instantly search google for it. not that what I found was all that informative anyways

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh my god.

It's like it's my birthday again.

This fucking rules.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It seems like it's a starter kit for D&D 4th edition or something.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    FactorySquirrelFactorySquirrel Marceline's Henchman Land of OooRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I did Google it. Doesn't mean I understood what I found.

FactorySquirrel on
    "That man is playing Galaga! He thought we wouldn't notice. But we did."
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Wren wrote: »
    I like firefoxes ability to just highlight a bit of text and instantly search google for it. not that what I found was all that informative anyways

chrome does the same thing

and it's sexier

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    i dont like chrome as much
    firefox is sexier with all its sexy addons

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    JAEF wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever seen Gabe from that perspective. That right armclaw is terrifying.

Think Kurtz's banana-hands chiding caused this?

Tleilaxu on
    checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    They did a terrible job of explaining what Essentials is.

From what I can understand its not so much a new edition as its some sort of wierd alternate version of the PHB with alternate classes, some new rules, and updating the old PHB races to be more in line with the new ones.

I dunno, to some people this might count as a 4.5 but pretty much everything is designed to work with everything released before it, and aside from the magic item overhaul, doesn't really change any of the core rules.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Tleilaxu wrote: »
    JAEF wrote: »

Think Kurtz's banana-hands chiding caused this?
    There is a strong possibility that this may be somewhere around part of the cause kind of perhaps.

But I'm not committed to that.

JAEF on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    wait seriously there's a 4.5 already?

no, it's more 4.25.

Reprinting with erratas and the classes are a little reworked but nothing too huge.

Melding on
  • Options
    MalteaseMaltease Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Essentials is exactly what it sounds like.

It's 4.0 cut down to its bare necessities. It comes with a set of die, a PHP and a dungeon master's guide condensed into a thick little handbook, and I believe I saw a slightly more expensive version that came with tiles and like, one miniature.

It's 4.0 in its barest form, so you can skip most of the bull and get right to playing.

Maltease on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm pretty happy with how Dark Heresy works.

But I haven't played D&D since 2nd edition.

THAC0

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    HIT MATRICES 4 LYFE

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    ColdbrandColdbrand Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    For one, they bring back the fucking retarded idea that all a Fighter should ever do for his entire career is melee basic attack. Because keeping track of a whopping 2 or 3 powers is too overwhelming for...I don't even know who.

Coldbrand on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I looked at the Red Box it's basically for people who have never played D&D or a role-playing game in their life. It dresses up character creation as a choose-your-own-adventure thingy.

I don't know how the actual Essentials books are going to be like.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    yeah, but this does open up the idea of a fighter that uses Con at his attack stat, or dex, or another other stat.

I think that is worth it, but i am weird.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Melding wrote: »
    yeah, but this does open up the idea of a fighter that uses Con at his attack stat, or dex, or another other stat.

That's always been an option for MBAs which is the only thing they can do (melee training), and with this set they're actually nerfing the ability to do that by reducing the damage it deals. God only knows the decision behind that one.

Coldbrand on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Coldbrand wrote: »

That's always been an option for MBAs which is the only thing they can do (melee training), and with this set they're actually nerfing the ability to do that by reducing the damage it deals. Which makes sense to I don't know who considering that needed about as much balancing as a scale.

right, but fighter was always strength based. now i can make a dex based fighter. with only minor set backs. instead of taking melee training and then never have it come up.

Reason ti is getting nerfed is because it was meant to be for things like swordmage, rogue and what not that would be up in melee but not strength based so they would stand toe to toe with people. now that fighter can make full use of it it would be a little over powered.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

That's always been an option for MBAs which is the only thing they can do (melee training), and with this set they're actually nerfing the ability to do that by reducing the damage it deals. Which makes sense to I don't know who considering that needed about as much balancing as a scale.

right, but fighter was always strength based. now i can make a dex based fighter. with only minor set backs. instead of taking melee training and then never have it come up.

Reason ti is getting nerfed is because it was meant to be for things like swordmage, rogue and what not that would be up in melee but not strength based so they would stand toe to toe with people. now that fighter can make full use of it it would be a little over powered.
    If you're seriously considering an essentials Fighter, even if the rest of paragon through epic was pure gold, a proper Fighter gets enough solid stuff starting in heroic where this class is just a pitiful joke, that'd be impossible for them to ever catch up to being even remotely close power-level wise.

Melee training getting nerfed is also hilarious, it wasn't even remotely imbalanced, at all. Seriously, do you know how far people can minmax? Melee training does like 4 damage less now because of this, it's just frustrating and pointless change that only serves to agitate Battleminds. There are people who can do like 300+ DPR later on.

Coldbrand on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What is D&D essentials?

It's basically a rebranding of the current 4th edition system. In an attempt to have "perennial" product on store shelves (instead seeing stores carrying PHB's 2 and 3, but not 1 which is needed to play the game.) and to try and create an easier point of entry for newcomers, they've created a new line of products, styled on the old D&D red box from back in the day.

While essentials provides for new content and often in ways very different to the rest of 4th edition, it's apparently all still compatible, so it's not D&D 4.5 so much as it's a stand-alone expansion of D&D 4th, designed to be more friendly to newer players.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh no, my power gaming!

how will i live with out my 300+ DPR!

i guess i will have to focus on having fun and doing new and different things i couldn't before!

I don't see how halving the modifier addition to damage is even a huge nerf. so at 28 con i am only getting 4 instead of 9, big deal.

it's kind of annoying, sure, but being angry about it ain't fixing anything.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh no, my power gaming!

i guess i will have to focus on having fun and doing new and different things i couldn't before!

I don't see how halving the modifier addition to damage is even a huge nerf. so at 28 con i am only getting 4 instead of 9, big deal.

I wasn't in any way advocating that 300 DPR was the only way to play? The point was to show how far this game can be pushed and thus how pointless the nerf to melee training was. Anyhow, the real issue with essentials is it actually makes the game more complex for most of the classes its trying to change up, its taking a huge chunk of time (10 books) from making real content, and it is trying to make 4e into 3.5 when we have Pathfinder for the people who want an up to date 3.5.

I'd also throw in that it's going to be seriously frustrating to me and certainly others if someone actually tries to play one of these essentials characters in a non-casual campaign that's meant to last for any real amount of time considering how pitifully weak these characters are in comparison to real ones. Dead weight in a party means the monsters have to be tougher, without any real benefit to the party. Even a bad regular character makes these essentials clerics and fighters look ridiculous.

Coldbrand on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The essentials fighter with its stances instead of at-wills strikes me as some sort of olive branch at that group of people who look at fighter powers and mutter about "weaboo anime bullshit".

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh no so this is like those 2nd edition character packs in those plastic cases?

Tonkka on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    And i like the idea of not having to necessarily do a strength based fighter.

Different strokes for different folks. Everyone who has seen it seems to like it, i'm sure once it is out it won't be too bad.

Plus it makes that swordmage feat that lets you use int instead of strength for MBA worth while.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh no, my power gaming!

I wasn't in any way advocating that 300 DPR was the only way to play? The point was to show how far this game can be pushed and thus how pointless the nerf to melee training was. Anyhow, the real issue with essentials is it actually makes the game more complex for most of the classes its trying to change up, its taking a huge chunk of time (10 books) from making real content, and it is trying to make 4e into 3.5 when we have Pathfinder for the people who want an up to date 3.5.

I'd also throw in that it's going to be seriously frustrating to me and certainly others if someone actually tries to play one of these essentials characters in a non-casual campaign that's meant to last for any real amount of time considering how pitifully weak these characters are in comparison to real ones. Dead weight in a party means the monsters have to be tougher, without any real benefit to the party. Even a bad regular character makes these essentials clerics and fighters look ridiculous.
    Man, assassins and warlocks already exist I don't know what you're mad about

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Different strokes for different folks. Everyone who has seen it seems to like it, i'm sure once it is out it won't be too bad.

Plus it makes that swordmage feat that lets you use int instead of strength for MBA worth while.

That feat's always been a staple and why I didn't mention them alongside Battleminds who got fucked by this, and don't have a solution in psionic power, and with the release of PP probably means they won't be seeing a class act to remedy the problem soon.

Coldbrand on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh no, my power gaming!

What do they have to do with anything?

Coldbrand on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh no, my power gaming!

What do they have to do with anything?
    They're the current HURF DURF CANT HAVE DEAD WEIGHT IN THE PARTY classes last I remember.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

That feat's always been a staple and why I didn't mention them alongside Battleminds who got fucked by this, and don't have a solution in psionic power, and with the release of PP probably means they won't be seeing a class act to remedy the problem soon.

Always have dragon. there is a new sorcererer at will that acts as MBA, so you never know. unless the people you play with disallow dragon articles, but then you can probably just house rule Melee training back into it's old form.

What's so bad about warlocks? i like warlocks.

Melding on
This discussion has been closed.