As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Prime '10 Costumes

• Options
    DrakanwolfDrakanwolf Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Curse-Ten wrote: »
    I have determined that Black is the most irpoportional pokegirl ever next to Dawn with her very short skirt. Those little white flaps are impossible to get right with the short shorts I'm wearing. At least it's getting done, now I'm down to the tiny details and some fixing up.

And this girl, with her full hips and big hair is probably only twelve years old. Sheesh.

And apparently 12 is old enough to go trekking from town to town & hunting/trapping wild animals on her own. If you think about it, Pokemon is full of some ****ed up parenting. :)

-DW

Drakanwolf on
    When there's trouble, you call DW!
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    GET OUT OF HERE STALKER
    Patch1.jpg
    PatchStalker.jpg
    I'm finally finished with one week left to go till PAX. Time to get back to Shank and BlazBlue!

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    adesteradester Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    GET OUT OF HERE STALKER
    Patch1.jpg
    PatchStalker.jpg
    I'm finally finished with one week left to go till PAX. Time to finally get back to Shank and BlazBlue!

Should go out and roll in the dirt a few times. Just looks to fresh. :)

adester on
  • Options
    BozkoBozko Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'll just leave this here look for me at pax :D
    LEEEEEEROOOOOOY_JEEENKIIIINSSS_by_MitsukaiMizuAmaya.jpg?t=1282974758

Bozko on
    R.O.A.C.H. 's Aluminum Chef~
    SUPER VILLAINS UNITE!
    JOIN R.O.A.C.H. Today!
    The Destructive Kitchen
    R.O.A.C.H. Home Page
  • Options
    arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I decided on the lesser of two evils. I dyed my hair red to go with my codex costume. I figured more people would throw a fit about her not having red hair than a little sister to have red hair. Plus I think I can make my hair darker like I was told earlier with some gel and stuff so that it is not as red for little sister. I know I keep saying this but I really will post pictures. Last few weeks have been crazy! Will post as soon as I can! Less than a week to go!!! CAN'T WAIT!!!!

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • Options
    arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Bozko wrote: »

OMG!!! I love this by the way!!! I might feel the need to run up to you and give you a hug at PAX!!! I will be dressed up as a little sister from bioshock, codex from the guild, and one silly one where I will have clothing marked out with bonuses (like +5 dexterity shirt of covering)

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010

OMG!!! I love this by the way!!! I might feel the need to run up to you and give you a hug at PAX!!! I will be dressed up as a little sister from bioshock, codex from the guild, and one silly one where I will have clothing marked out with bonuses (like +5 dexterity shirt of covering)

i'll be expecting the glomping :P

i wore it last year and no one seemed interested so i was debating on bringing it back or not

Bozko on
    SUPER VILLAINS UNITE!
    JOIN R.O.A.C.H. Today!
    The Destructive Kitchen
    R.O.A.C.H. Home Page
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Wouldn't a shirt with less covering give more dexterity? D&D is confusing.

Heleor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Heleor wrote: »

Wouldn't a shirt with less covering give more dexterity? D&D is confusing.

XD so true

Bozko on
    SUPER VILLAINS UNITE!
    JOIN R.O.A.C.H. Today!
    The Destructive Kitchen
    R.O.A.C.H. Home Page
  • Options
    SvKSvK Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Option C: Jarate (just a jar of 'lemonade')
    This would be easiest and most useful.

SvK on
  • Options
    Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Plus you can drink it! It is lemonade right?

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    HeatherlingHeatherling Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

<3 I will be Tinkerballa on Saturday and Sunday!! I'll be at a booth all day though, so stop by the Tazti booth please! I'd love to snag a photo with Codex :)

Heatherling on
  • Options
    SarahstraszaSarahstrasza Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

i wore it last year and no one seemed interested so i was debating on bringing it back or not

I'm pretty sure people in general stopped caring for other human beings back in like the early 90's... If it makes you happy, do it anyway. Screw everybody else. LEEEEEEROOOOOOOOY JENKINS!

Sarahstrasza on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I'm pretty sure people in general stopped caring for other human beings back in like the early 90's... If it makes you happy, do it anyway. Screw everybody else. LEEEEEEROOOOOOOOY JENKINS!

lol so true ^^; maybe i will if i find time between the Pax Pokemon League and what not :3

Bozko on
    SUPER VILLAINS UNITE!
    JOIN R.O.A.C.H. Today!
    The Destructive Kitchen
    R.O.A.C.H. Home Page
  • Options
    ChurchesWifeChurchesWife Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is there a cosplay shoot planned?

I'm reprising my PAX East Harley and I didn't get nearly enough pictures. Would love to make up for it.

ChurchesWife on
    Call me Ze.

achievementhunter.com/ChurchsWife
    Twitter.com/ChurchesWife
  • Options
    MultraMultra Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I will be dressed as Anivia the Cryophoenix from League of Legends.

Multra on
  • Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is there a cosplay shoot planned?

I'm reprising my PAX East Harley and I didn't get nearly enough pictures. Would love to make up for it.

I dont' think they're planned ahead of time but I'm sure there will be. Or at least themed photoshoots...
    Team Fortress 2 one anybody?

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    adester wrote: »
    GET OUT OF HERE STALKER
    Patch1.jpg
    PatchStalker.jpg
    I'm finally finished with one week left to go till PAX. Time to finally get back to Shank and BlazBlue!

Should go out and roll in the dirt a few times. Just looks to fresh. :)

Is that a Steel Battalion controller?!

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    oh boy, better make sure that gun is marked fake or something or you're gonna run into some problems I would imagine... it looks pretty real in the picture. Or is it real? Should I be biting my tongue?

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    SeveconSevecon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    hell thats my plan ima have big white letters on the side that say fake

Sevecon on
    YOU DID WELL - HWGUY
  • Options
    KragNaroKKragNaroK Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    not sure if i should. is it a bad thing to come to the same con with the same costume?
    i am a Red Heavy Weapons Guy. Can't make a gun because i drive across the border.
    video related...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot3KiVctXfY

KragNaroK on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    you leave the PP forums holy crap...

and dude that sucks about the gun

BTW FUCKING EPIC HEAVY MAN FUCKING EPIC

Sevecon on
    YOU DID WELL - HWGUY
  • Options
    chrisstiechrisstie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wow that was flipping epic heavy!

chrisstie on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sevecon wrote: »
    hell thats my plan ima have big white letters on the side that say fake
    I'm rather positive that won't be sufficient. I don't know much about weapons but that looks realistic enough to me that it should be left at home.

Anything you do to a realistic-looking weapon-like object would just make it look like "real weapon with FAKE written on the side" or "real weapon with a tennis ball on the end of the barrel" or something similar.

I try to temper my advice with caution most of the time, but there's no mistake here. Do not under any circumstances bring an object that looks like that -- real, airsoft, plastic, wood, doesn't matter.

I DO wish I could offer some advice for what to bring instead, but I don't know. Sorry. :-(

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    adesteradester Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You think styrofoam thats been cut out with a crafting knife then painted black will work? Or a custom rubber balloon shaped as one will be a bad idea? I'm not cosplaying but I'm trying to draw ideas.
    (I might do something next year)

adester on
  • Options
    GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My Drowned/Dark Ophelia Brutal Legend costume is complete!!! I will have pictures up tonight or tomorrow! I also have almost everything for my Luigi costume xD

GamingGoddess on
    Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
  • Options
    retrolibrarianretrolibrarian Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    On Saturday, I will be coming in my full red-suit Dr. Horrible costume, complete with goggles.

retrolibrarian on
  • Options
    SassafrasSassafras Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    KragNaroK wrote: »
    not sure if i should. is it a bad thing to come to the same con with the same costume?
    i am a Red Heavy Weapons Guy. Can't make a gun because i drive across the border.
    That's great! It's too bad about the gun, but you've got the character down so well it more than makes up for it. There's some great TF2 costumes cropping up already.

Sassafras on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    video related...
    Canadian customs won't even let you cross with a completely fake prop that's not even based on an IRL gun?

What the fuckshit?

Oh well, you could run around with the KGBs instead. :D

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Trying to sew fun fur into a bikini type shape is harder than one would think.. GRR!

chrisstie on
  • Options
    Slipstream0Slipstream0 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

i LOVED your costume last year. Heavy Weapons Guy has plenty of uses besides a gun. Bring boxing gloves, or make sandvich!! NOM NOM NOM NOM :)

Also no, its not bad to go as the same thing. Im wearing my altair costume again, I put a lot of work into it, and the boots have streatched enough that it wont kill my feet this year.

Slipstream0 on
  • Options
    RoadBlockRoadBlock Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Some work in progress stuff for the Eyelander and Scrumpy Bottle. I'll have better pictures this evening.
    IMG01155-20100829-1138.jpg

RoadBlock on
  • Options
    polencepolence Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    chrisstie wrote: »
    Trying to sew fun fur into a bikini type shape is harder than one would think.. GRR!

what I suggest is strechout the bikini, on a stiff board and then sew on the fur

polence on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    polence wrote: »
    chrisstie wrote: »

what I suggest is strechout the bikini, on a stiff board and then sew on the fur

Thanks I think Im doing that for the top. I have decided to work smart and not hard on the bottom. I'll make a fur mini skirt and just get brown undies or bikini bottom - which will be on top of panty hose so no wardrobe malfunctions :) .. held up by a belt.

Dying my hair now.. from blonde to brown.. and its looking red, ruh oh :(

chrisstie on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    video related...
    Canadian customs won't even let you cross with a completely fake prop that's not even based on an IRL gun?

What the fuckshit?

Oh well, you could run around with the KGBs instead. :D

Well actually it would be United States customs on the way down and yeah in my experience they can be pretty picky... although it does seem kind of odd to stop someone for an obviously fake prop...

Crap, 4 days to finish my new medic gun and pack... better stop posting on here and go finish it...
    Will post pics here when it's done... (if?)

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    SarahstraszaSarahstrasza Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Does anyone know a place near the convention center in seattle that sells the health and mana energy potions? I dont so much need the actual energy drink inside, but the bottles for a halloween costume and next years costume. I know that sometimes spencers and some other places in malls sell them but I am looking for a place that will definently have them stocked. If all else fails, i'll buy a pack or two from thinkgeek but I'd like to find them locally if possible.

Sarahstrasza on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm not sure what to do but i need a hand working around the lambda symbol.... the thing im using atm is a 6 buck shinguard i can ether put it on my shoulder or forearm or take another quick look around town to find something cheap that would look better
    th_Needshelp.gif?t=1283118086
    th_needshelp2.gif?t=1283118340

Sevecon on
    YOU DID WELL - HWGUY
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Does anyone know a place near the convention center in seattle that sells the health and mana energy potions? I dont so much need the actual energy drink inside, but the bottles for a halloween costume and next years costume. I know that sometimes spencers and some other places in malls sell them but I am looking for a place that will definently have them stocked. If all else fails, i'll buy a pack or two from thinkgeek but I'd like to find them locally if possible.

I've seen them in bookstores (theres one in westlake.. barnes and noble I think) as well as in Frys electronics which is quite a bit further away. Also there's a Hot Topic in Westlake mall which I think carries them as well. Its just like 2-3 blocks from the convention center.

chrisstie on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sevecon wrote: »
    I'm not sure what to do but i need a hand working around the lambda symbol.... the thing im using atm is a 6 buck shinguard i can ether put it on my shoulder or forearm or take another quick look around town to find something cheap that would look better
    th_Needshelp.gif?t=1283118086
    th_needshelp2.gif?t=1283118340
    Those pictures are awful tiny. Do you have bigger ones so that we can see what you're trying to do?

There was a booth selling them last year at PAX if I remember correctly. You may wanna check the expo map first.
    Serenity wrote: »
    Well actually it would be United States customs on the way down and yeah in my experience they can be pretty picky... although

Yeah, that'd seem really bizarre. I'd honestly call and ask and be very clear about what exactly you're bringing. "It's a prop based on an item from a video game and looks absolutely nothing like a real gun. It doesn't shoot anything at all."

And since I got a PM about it, I'd just like to state the following:
    That rifle in my picture was just to make the picture more awesome. I'm not bringing any obviously fake rifles with me because I'd rather have nothing at all than an ugly prop. Besides, there are pretty stringent rules about walking around with real semi-automatic rifles in public. :3

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    EnaylaEnayla Wing Addict New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Enayla wrote: »
    I've had to get quite creative with this over the years, although occasionally I have a willing friend who helps out (: This year, my Vanille has a small pouch already, and I'm sewing a bag to the inside of my SSBB Peach hoop skirt (in addition to a thigh holster for smaller items - there's a lot of room under there!). Try to figure out how you can either conceal a small bag or incorporate it into the costume.

Yeah, it kinda depends on what your costume is. Like mine is easy, I can stuff everything into the ammo bags attached to my vest (turns out that they work GREAT as PSP carriers), and I'll also have a costume appropriate backpack.

For costumes that cannot come up with some way to have bags/backpacks, you may want to sew pockets to the inside of a jacket liner, or concealed within a shirt/pants. If you can't put it inside, you may be able to put the access to it outside and conceal it with a flap. Depending on your costume, you may want to consider putting snaps/a zipper on your concealed pockets. This can help you from losing stuff/getting things stolen.

EDIT: Looking at the design of Vanille, it doesn't look like you've got a whole lot of room to work with for concealing a bag. I'm not sure just exactly how much stuff you're wanting to carry, or how heavy it is, but you could sew pouches into the fur skirt thingy. Also, a small leather backpack wouldn't look out of place. It may not be accurate, but it'd still look good. (Did you go last year as Peach? If so, I remember that half monkey/half pony you gave Joco, that was awesome. :D)
    I'm still baffled on how I should make dark/drowned ophelias neck piece :(
    What did you make the rest of the costume out of? Have you thought of using decently stiff wire as a skeleton and sewing fabric over that? If you used a filler fabric like some cheap muslin it'd help to disguise the wire. And give the tendrils a bit more shape. Depending on how heavy the material is, you could also sew folded foil directly into the tendrils, that may work to hold them up and be less of a hassle than wire, cause with wire, you'll need to extend it down to provide a framework for the tendrils so that they don't just flop.

Very luckily, I have a friend who's willing to carry some of my swag around that day for Vanille (: He's also conveniently staying at a hotel wayy closer to the con than I am, so we can probably drop things off there as well. He's cosplaying with me the second day, though, so that's why Peach had to figure out a lot more carry space!

This is my first time at PAX, so it must have been someone else last year.

Enayla on
    Facebook: Enayla Cosplay | Steam: Elliria | DeviantArt: Elliria | Twitter: EnaylaCosplay
This discussion has been closed.