As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

(Doodle) All Night Long (NSFW)

• Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    couch-1.jpg

First time really using pastels and oil paints. I'm friggin' light headed but I think they turned out nicely.

TheBog on
  • Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    0828.jpg

Brock Samson beat me up today ;_;

melting_doll on
  • Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    And Helper is totally cheering him on, the bastard.

I always just hear K.O. voiced a la the Scott Pilgrim game & movie, now.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    GurtPerkGurtPerk Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    squidbunny wrote: »

I like to think Helper is actually running in at the last minute, trying to save her.

Possible even help 'er.

Ah? Eh? 8-)

GurtPerk on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What are some good ways to learn to shade delicately? I do still lifes on the weekend (mainly objects i find around the kitchen) and that has helped in some ways, but i'm struggling with technique.

My process for shading is i start with single lines with an HB and 4B (for the darker areas) gradually building up the drawing getting darker as i go. when im done, i go over it with a 2H to try and get a 'smooth' look.

Starting with an HB is good - it's got great versatility. Bringing in something as dark as a 4B that early is a bad idea (and because it's a softer lead, it's much more likely to smear and make everything look like crap pretty quickly).

To be honest, try to get as much out of the HB as possible. Learn to use a light touch, and learn to build with it (i.e. layering) strokes, rather than trying to go for the exact value you need right away. Hell, in this piece, I used an HB for 95% of everything. The only time I introduced a 2h or 2B (which was the darkest I used) was at the end, to just push the values further...but the values were almost entirely there already, from careful use of the HB.

Plum'd the last sentence because it's a toss-up for me. Personally I just blur my vision and go over the lighter spots with a soft touch of the HB, because in order to achieve the same soft look with a 2H, you have to press down a little harder. The other method (with the HB) I also think is just more precise. Still, using that method can be nice, in some cases...if your shading isn't in need of "evening out" too much. If certain areas in your shading are too uneven, too mottled in values, using the 2H to smooth things out won't work.

Try to get as much out of the HB as you possibly can, without having to press down very hard (because going over the same spot with a medium-to-hard lead will give the paper a slick surface, and not allow the softer B leads to stick to the paper). Layer, and when you layer, use slightly different angles, so your strokes aren't all obviously following one direction, and/or obviously messy.

In other words, don't go for the screen door "little squares" look, go for the "small, elongated diamonds" look. Don't cross your earlier strokes at 90 degree angles.

A few examples for my process on that piece:
    Cake_Figure2.jpg
    Cake_Figure3.jpg
    In this 2nd one, above, I just blocked out my shadowed areas very loosely, somewhat suggesting where the darker parts might be. I do not emphasize the edges of these blocked-in areas, because I want them to fade later. I remember using a kneaded eraser a bit to soften the edges in the next step, if the edges were too strong. The lower half of the figure is one more step beyond what I've done on the top half.
    Cake_Figure4.jpg
    In this next one - still only using an HB - I make the edges of the blocked-out shadows softer, and work on more of the subtleties in the midranges. "Technically", you're not supposed to jump in steps like that (there should've actually been a couple of other steps between, and I should've progressed with the whole piece at the same time...but I think I understand the process well enough to start rendering further on one part, and make my way down, without it being obvious that I've done so).

It was only after this entire piece was done in HB that I took my 2B and went in to the darkest areas and pushed them. I used the 2H very, very minimally in that last step above, with the HB. I may've used the 2H in other areas at the tail-end of things to smooth a few of the darker areas out more, but both the 2H and 2B were only very slightly used at all.

My hatching wasn't ideal, and I thought I could get away with some radically-angled strokes in some places, but the places I did do that are pretty obvious. (Don't do that).

Thanks for taking the time for that post ND! The process shots you posted are helping me loads! IK'll post some as soon as i feel theyre ready.

Cake - I wish there where similar art schools here in South Australia like the ones over in the United States. Though from what i read they are very expensive.
    I cant disagree with what you have said. I do struggle simplifying objects into simple shapes. Though i can definately feel an improvement when drawing obects around the house, i still struggle with the human body.

Pretty keen on doing a Bargue study too

Oh, bought a awesome A3 size Michelangelo book today (on special for $5.00!) so i now have plents of statue references to work from.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    GurtPerk wrote: »
    squidbunny wrote: »

I like to think Helper is actually running in at the last minute, trying to save her.

Possible even help 'er.

Ah? Eh? 8-)

Haha, nah, HELPeR is just running around in the back beeping and wailing like a pansy.

Per usual

melting_doll on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    uhm, me and Muse among Men did a picture
    Xt5W4.png

Projeck on
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    oh dear D:

also: I was doodling in photoshop CS5 and a pirate happened. avast!

yarr.jpg

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    expanding on a character concept I came up with a while back,

drillman829copy02.jpg

this was the original link: http://www.gerrittperkins.com/images/2D/2d0.jpg

GurtPerk on
  • Options
    r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    a black shyguy with a floor sander as a leg?

r-jasper on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    r-jasper wrote: »
    a black shyguy with a floor sander as a leg?

Hmm... It does look a lot like shyguy, doesn't it?

I might change that around. The mask has been kind of difficult to come up with a right one. As for the leg, It's a mash of a different factory equipment put together. Still pretty rough.

GurtPerk on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Optimus Prime on a birthday card for my cuz.

prime.jpg

NibCrom on
  • Options
    ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Tam...that ROCKS! :D

Obilex on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    nice drawing tam

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    truly_outrageous_by_thanekats-d2xkvag.jpg

Jem, because i am fueled by nostalgia

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hahahahah Jem! Oh man, Jem.

I like that muchly, though a few of the figures seem to be stitched in for different images, because of the variations in line weight, from character to character.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    foolin around with a doodle I did, waiting for the ferry.

harbor.jpg

Obilex on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That dock scene has style.

loveyou.jpg

wakkawa on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wow, I think that one is one of your best things ever wak. The colours are fuggin spectacular.

Mustang on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    reminds me of the red head from scott pilgrim movie

Prohass on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    thank you to ken and obi

bel, the house is on sale for $Texas

wakkawa, I've run out of ways to kiss your ass

20ur9sj.jpg

Tam on
  • Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Cuz BOTPed and awesome:

Obilex wrote: »
    harbor.jpg

I love this.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    oh hey that is awesome
    verr' nice, Obi

nh111j.jpg

Tam on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Wow, Wak, I also really like that last picture.

GurtPerk on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    J5fSZ.png

self portrait, don't know where i'm going to take the bg

e: for diff colors

Projeck on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    For some reason Wak that picture reminds me of Blade Runner.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Testing some new brushes I made...and fooling around with all the Photoshop brush modes :P

BrushTesting.jpg

NightDragon on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That JEM drawing is truly truly truly outrageous.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    don't know if this is chat or doodle. but yaaaaaaaaaay.

IMG_2434.jpg

r-jasper on
  • Options
    the_monarch23the_monarch23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    OH MAN, tam. The 2 drawings on tis page cracked me up. I laughed out loud at the hand, thinking about it walking around, fingers splayed, for balance, then slapping down on the page and rooting around for the pencil. That is awesome.

the_monarch23 on
    "Gott in himmel! Fritz, vee haff named our car after ein lady-garten."
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I love this entire thread. Thank you guys.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    projeck - nice colours on the portrait.
    i think a bit more deeper blues would look nice against the background orange

sketch of Johnny Ramone ive been working 'on and off' since last thursday. Forced myself to only use HB pencil

scanner is cheap and nasty, so had to digitally edit the values and contrasts in photoshop - resulting in the harsh rough look

johnny-ramone-sml.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'll just leave this here:
    44688_662156331626_38500097_36627564_867341_n.jpg

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    WCK Dude...

Why didn't you, at the early stages, figure that you'd better fix up that fucking monstrous melty candle zombie face before spending god Knows how much time and energy on filling in all the black space and getting the fucking wood grain right?

Because its pretty good.... Except for .. You know... The subject of the drawing.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think you need to stop doing illustrations in pencil and charcoal. It is by far the most process intensive medium I have ever seen, and you really need to learn a little bit more on it.

One of my teachers did crazy pencil illustrations. You have to be a certain kind of OCD to do that shit.

EDIT: For example, she worked at 24"x36" or larger. This is important for detailed illustrations
    Sharpened her pencil by hand every 5 or so strokes
    Never pressing too hard to indent the board
    Held the pencil at an exact angle the whole time.
    The science behind that is how the tooth of the paper or board takes the charcoal.
    Wearing gloves so your skin grease doesn't affect the charcoal
    Having like 10 different kind of erasers.

Hell, even the initial toning of the board used an involved process of crushing charcoal
    and using certain chemicals to help with the smearing.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    I think I learned more about form painting than I ever did trying to get it with drawing, but wck, I think you tend to "draw" when you paint too. Honestly, I would suggest watching some process videos of people you admire, and scaling down the amount of time you're spending on learning everything at once, and just do works that will help you learn a few things at a time. Simplify.

Iruka on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This all reminds me, the most meticulous artist I have ever met is an illustrator named Allen Williams (you may have heard of him as LA Williams). Besides being a really cool guy, check this out. Stipplings. He did that at the Illustration Master Class I went to back in June.

Unfortunately, what that image doesn't convey is the gritty sparkle (literally sparkling) that his originals have. I love it. In fact...I need to buy one.

rts on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    damn. thats crazy shit cake.

The three drawing majors at my school were also crazy meticulous.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    sweet brushes ND! Textures make me happy as an artist.

Obilex on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Thanks for the comments folks.

Desperate Robots - Love your description of the face. honestly, the way i drew it was what i was wanting. so it never crossed my mind that it needed fixing.

Wakkawa - Your teacher sounds like a nut! Crazy. I dont mind penci as it forces me to work slower because theres only so many times you can erase the lines. I find when i paint in oils (even more digital) i find that I rush things because i feel i have less control.

Iruka - I'm guessing by simplify, you mean more simple content?
    Im still working on some studies of detailed drawings of male/female anatomy in reference to NDragons posted work.

In the city today so hopefully get around to going to the art gallery to draw some statues!

winter_combat_knight on
This discussion has been closed.