As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4E Discussion] Staff Fighter and Pyromancer essentials builds released on time!

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I finally got a copy of the Dark Sun Creature Catalog. I can't help but notice the evolution of the psurlon.

Here's the psurlon from 3E's Monster Manual II:

88268_620_102.jpg

Unlike this version, the psurlon in the Dark Sun Creature Catalog doesn't looking godsdamned retarded.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    butbutbut, 4e is about making all the players awesome in roughly equal amounts, instead of making a few of them amazing and the rest boring and worthless.

That is communism.

Hachface on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    butbutbut, 4e is about making all the players awesome in roughly equal amounts, instead of making a few of them amazing and the rest boring and worthless.
    Or fielding entire parties of Wizards, Clerics and Druids because your players are smart enough to know that's where the bread is buttered.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hachface wrote: »

That is communism.

How dare you want everyone to be useful!

Now be a good fighter and stand in the way until we hit level six. If you're good I'll buy you a rubix cube so you have something interesting to do for the rest of the campaign.

Sipex on
  • Options
    SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Or fielding entire parties of Wizards, Clerics and Druids because your players are smart enough to know that's where the bread is buttered.

Mmmm, one of my favorite characters (god there were so many) was a Human Wizard/Druid in a FrostBurn campaign....He would Wildshape into a Dire ape and wielded a blue ice greatsword, had the feat for wildshape casting......where he didn't have to vocalize, or whatever it was.

He was a gish beast.

Snowdown on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey am I reading this right?
    At-Will Martial, Weapon
    Standard Action Melee or Ranged weapon

Requirement: You must be wielding a crossbow, a light blade, or a sling.

Target: One creature

Attack: Dexterity vs. AC

Hit: 1[W] damage.
    Level 21: 2[W] damage.

Effect: You shift a number of squares equal to your Intelligence modifier, and you can make a Stealth check to become hidden.

Does that mean you can become hidden without cover or total concealment?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    Someone on RPGnet referred to 4e as "Harrison Bergeron: the RPG" in reference to its design decision to make the power system across the various classes uniform.

I don't agree with the critique behind it, but I got a kick out of the rhetorical phrasing. That was a grognard with style.

Likewise, I disagree with his ideas (especially since the idea in the story was making all the really smart people more or less incompetent so no one stupid would feel bad), but the fact that he pulled that story for a reference does give points.

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    At-Will Martial, Weapon

Effect: You shift a number of squares equal to your Intelligence modifier, and you can make a Stealth check to become hidden.

I believe that this (and a few other rogue powers) are just not carefully worded. There are some rogue powers which state "can make a stealth check to become hidden if you have concealment or cover" which generally should be how the above should read. I say it's incorrect simply because while the power as written would be correct in that you can make a stealth check without being hidden...you would lose stealth immediately because you violate the "Keep Out of Sight" requirement of Stealth right from the start.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Terrendos wrote: »
    The real strength of the Artificer comes from Resistive Formula (I think... the one that gives oodles of THP) and the Paragon tier feat that lets y ou double the targets of it. That's a potent combo of sweet proactive healing.

Having resist 10 on a player until EOE or immunity until EONT is nice, yes, but the most amazing Artificer power is their Arcane Rejuvenation feature which grants Artificer Level + INT Mod temporary hit points to any person who uses a daily magic item power.

It's at this point where you tell the party "Alright, I'm making all of you magic items. I don't care if you can find a use for them, but you're still getting them because I'd like everyone to have THP all encounter long!"

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've got a good feeling I can kill at least one of my players this time. Woot. :P

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    At-Will Martial, Weapon

Nah, the advantage with this one is that you can move into cover and make a stealth check as part of that movement.

Then use this power, and with that effect, get back into cover after the use of it and try to hide again.

So you can move into hiding, attack with combat advantage, and hide again.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    I've got a good feeling I can kill at least one of my players this time. Woot. :P
    As long as it's the Rogue, we're cool.

Edit: I am a goddamn healing machine.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I knew we hauled Wil's ass around for something. And being the ass end of the initiative order sucks.

Fondor_Yards on
    Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ew, the D&D main page got a redesign.

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah... it's all... cartoonish

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I wish they would, like, make their archives searchable.

Having the art assets searchable would be nice.

smeej on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Now reading Oublivae's stats on DDI (late to the party I know).

"Perish Alone" is a very stylish power.

edit: She is in fact a stylish demon in general. A model of artfully blending fluff and crunch.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    smeej wrote: »
    I wish they would, like, make their archives searchable.

Having the art assets searchable would be nice.
    This is something that needs to happen months ago.

A searchable art database would triple the utility of that site.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Is it hard to add the word "dwarf" to a picture?

smeej on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I guess they've got everyone tied up working on the online gametable.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited September 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I guess they've got everyone tied up working on the online gametable.

And Duke Nukem Forever.

Hachface on
  • Options
    DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I made a Picassa album with all of the downloadable Art Galleries and have been going through them, tagging them.

Friends, it is a bitch.

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yes, but what if you were say, 5 people paid to do it?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well you are an enterprising fan doing it for free! They have webmasters and shit who probably get paid for this.

And fans who would do it for free, but their business timetable is constantly one year behind.

smeej on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I have considered your question and devised an experiment to find the solution.

Result: No, not hard at all I've found.

61194064.jpg

hippofant on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm freaking out.

smeej on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I finally have tested my revisions to my solo and elite resilience houserules that I am fully happy with them. I wanted to ensure solos protected their action economy appropriately, while not double dipping when they already had something in place (The Young Black Dragon would be an example).

Solo Resilience thus became a simple rule depending on if the solo had one or multiple initiatives. A single initiative solo simply saves daze, dominate and stun effects at the beginning of its turn (even if these would not ordinarily permit a saving throw). Multiple initiative solos make the save at the end of any of their turns (but not at the start).

This means a single initiative solo protects its action economy pretty efficiently and a multiple initiative solo doesn't "double dip" as much. Actual text became:
    Single Initiative Solos: Make saves at the beginning of their turn against the daze, dominate and stunned conditions, even if these effects would not ordinarily permit a saving throw. Their end of turn save can also save against daze, dominate and stunned conditions, even if these effects wouldn't permit a saving throw.

Multiple Initiative Solos: Make saves at the end of any of their turns in a round against the daze, dominate and stunned conditions, even if these effects would not ordinarily permit a saving throw.

Elites: Elites follow the above rules as well, except only against the daze and stun conditions.

Note that where monsters have specific powers, their text always overrides this general rule if applicable (EG Hydra's many headed power). For clarity elites and solos will indicate their save mechanics whenever they actually make a saving throw.

Noting that certain monsters override or even negate the rule. I would not use this on a Young Black Dragon (DDI comic) for example. He can end stun/dominate effects before his turn and he automatically ends a bunch of stuff at the end of his turns anyway. Adding a further action economy protection power onto this monster is just being excessive. The goal here was to add a simple, easy to remember general rule that applied to most solos so that many pre-MM3 solos didn't need excessive modification to be effective (which they did previously). Simply allowing them to save against the main action denial conditions to either recover their turn (single initiative) or their next turn (multiple initiative) works very well and is pretty balanced given they are 5 monsters (or 2).

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    That's basically how I run solos anyway, except I apply those rules to every status effect ever.

Because I want to fuck up some PC's lives.

smeej on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I originally tried it to all status effects, but it is already a major detriment to controller classes and just universally crippling their ability to do anything to a solo was excessive. So I stuck to things that prevent action economy and it works out really well. Saving everything also led to odd situations and questions, like if it could save against being marked and similar.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Why do you hate us controllers, Aegeri?

hippofant on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I am an all devouring monster.

With tentacles.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    He isn't that bad if he thinks you shouldnt be able to discard blindness and marks whenever you want.

The Dragon denies your stupid controllerness three times a round. Die.

smeej on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Quick Rules Question:

A flaming weapon used to convert damage to fire doesn't give the weapon power the [Fire] keyword, right?

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It does actually and it will remove any previous damage keywords that were there.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Alright, do you know where it says that? I checked in the Flaming description and saw nothing of the sort.

Looking for a way to trigger Stirring Song of Baator often. I want to make a hellfire preacher bard.

Edit: Dur, in the beginning of the magic item section, under Power. Though it looks like it changed since mine was made. Which makes sense as adding damage types is way better than replacing.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Alright, do you know where it says that?

The errata, which using the specific example of a flaming staff actually.
    If the damage types in a power change, the power both loses the keywords for any damage types that are removed and gains the keywords for any damage types that are added (the poison keyword is removed from a power only if that power neither deals poison damage nor has any nondamaging effects). For example, if a wizard casts ray of frost through a flaming staff and uses the staff ’s ability to change the damage to fire, ray of frost gains the fire keyword and loses the cold keyword for that use, since the power is dealing fire damage instead of cold damage. That use of the power can therefore benefit from effects, like feats, that affect fire powers, but not from effects that affect cold powers.”

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So if I took Arcane Implement Proficiency (Heavy Blades) I could have a bard who dramatically waves a sword about while his insults burn people to death?

I think I'm going to have to do that.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    That is precisely what you could do, roaming around the world setting people on fire with your sick burns.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I demand Sick Burns be put into the OP.

We need our own D&D wiki.

smeej on
  • Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Alright, do you know where it says that? I checked in the Flaming description and saw nothing of the sort.

Looking for a way to trigger Stirring Song of Baator often. I want to make a hellfire preacher bard.

Edit: Dur, in the beginning of the magic item section, under Power. Though it looks like it changed since mine was made. Which makes sense as adding damage types is way better than replacing.

If you found a way to add a small amount of damage, let's say through malek-keth janissary or the feat "shocking flame" to your attacks, the attack gains the keyword without losing any of it's keywords, as well.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif