As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV] The Fantasy Finally Begins! (Go to Wutai.)

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm thinking of buying this, I just have a fear I'll hate it. I know Bri from WoW, tangentally, but anyone else from Dark Iron would know me as Hypacia, hopefully none of you hated me too bad. Anyhow, I really hated 11. Too slow, too washed out looking, awful UI that you needed a degree to figure out ... basically, it wasn't WoW. Weird thing is I got hooked on EVE for a while because I loved mining. Fucking loved it. No fighting, or crafting, just mining. So ... how is the crafting system in XIV, if anything will pull me in I would guess it would be that. If I could make billions of (insert currency here) crafting like a mo fo then I'll probably be happy.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Elin wrote: »
    I'm thinking of buying this, I just have a fear I'll hate it. I know Bri from WoW, tangentally, but anyone else from Dark Iron would know me as Hypacia, hopefully none of you hated me too bad. Anyhow, I really hated 11. Too slow, too washed out looking, awful UI that you needed a degree to figure out ... basically, it wasn't WoW. Weird thing is I got hooked on EVE for a while because I loved mining. Fucking loved it. No fighting, or crafting, just mining. So ... how is the crafting system in XIV, if anything will pull me in I would guess it would be that. If I could make billions of (insert currency here) crafting like a mo fo then I'll probably be happy.

Stay the fuck away. I'm serious.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    Elin wrote: »

Stay the fuck away. I'm serious.

Can you explain that sentiment?

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    KashiKashi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    He's telling you that if you already hated XI and your main complaint was that "FFXI wasn't WoW," then FFXIV is probably not for you.

Especially if you're married to WoW's UI. FFXIV's UI is made for a controller, and even then it's sort of a beast.

Kashi on
    dura1top.png
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tomorrow I'll be installing the game on my laptop while at work then jumping on for just a few minutes in hopes of getting a pearl in Uh'dal. I'd play through out the night but the stupid release date is the same day as the Muse concert im attending...

Maybe I should bring my laptop to the show!
    I'm not that big of a nerd
    or am i
    nah

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Kashi wrote: »
    He's telling you that if you already hated XI and your main complaint was that "FFXI wasn't WoW," then FFXIV is probably not for you.

Especially if you're married to WoW's UI. FFXIV's UI is made for a controller, and even then it's sort of a beast.

I played WoW first. Well, technically, I played Diablo 2 first :). But the magic is gone from WoW and I'm looking for a new game. The UI isn't really a deal breaker, I've dealt with some god awful ones before. I don't know, I guess I just had a very poor experience with XI, but I heard that you could pretty much just be a shopkeeper in XI and it always intrigued me. If that was something that carried over to XIV I would be interested.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, you can be a shopkeeper and major item crafter in FFXIV. I can't see you getting metric shit tons of enjoyment out of it, though.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    On a more depressing note, some things that I've been hoping for are not in the game from some accounts:

- NPCs don't just offer random quests... you have nothing but guildleves and the story missions, and that's it
    - NPCs not selling normal equipment, meaning you're stuck with starter and levequest gear for god knows how long (really hoping this guy's wrong)

On a more positive note:

- Hardware cursor on by default for those that use keyboard and mouse
    - More is done client-side now as opposed to server-side, which I had a feeling was going to happen anyhow
    - Onion Knight helm looks absolutely retarded, and it's going to be amazing seeing everyone wearing it

I'm picking the game up tomorrow. I have next to no time to devote to it, but I was buying it anyhow as a collector's item. Haven't decided if I'm going to be starting in Gridania or Whore City.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Crafting is sort of fun but you need to (at least in the beginning) fight to raise the funds to craft. Plus if you ONLY craft you will hit the EXP surplus, unless of course you do all the crafting jobs. Even then you will need funding.

It seems that unless you have generous friends it will be tough to ONLY craft.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    On a more depressing note, some things that I've been hoping for are not in the game from some accounts:

- NPCs don't just offer random quests... you have nothing but guildleves and the story missions, and that's it
    - NPCs not selling normal equipment, meaning you're stuck with starter and levequest gear for god knows how long (really hoping this guy's wrong)

Well, I am sure that more stuff will pop quest wise in a few months. Would be nice to have it now though.

I am OK with no NPC sold weapons and armor provided that there is a better way to shop in the future. Finding what you want is really a crap shoot and totally fucking sucks.

Edit. All set with the patches. Going to try to make my character with my WiFi hotspot on my phone tomorrow while at work.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    DeliasDelias Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Installing now, any of you fookers on? We waiting until the morning for Bri to make the LS?

Delias on
    darleysam wrote: »
    Wrex has no problem taking cover. Cover has a problem taking Wrex.

SWTOR - Elysium
    League of Legends Handle - Siegfreid
    WoW - Siegfreid
    FFXIV - Maxim
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Delias wrote: »
    Installing now, any of you fookers on? We waiting until the morning for Bri to make the LS?

90% of us dont have it yet. Bri is making the shell so it wont be up till tomorrow.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    For anyone who has the ability to display their PC on a big TV, please let me know if the text size has increased for higher resolutions (1920x1080).

It was my biggest complaint with the beta, and if it's been fixed I may damn well purchase it right away.

Also, is there more voice acting? Some of the NPC story quests looked like it would have voice acting, as dialog would cut off before I could advance.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    For anyone who has the ability to display their PC on a big TV, please let me know if the text size has increased for higher resolutions (1920x1080).

It was my biggest complaint with the beta, and if it's been fixed I may damn well purchase it right away.

Also, is there more voice acting? Some of the NPC story quests looked like it would have voice acting, as dialog would cut off before I could advance.

If there is more go work I hope its not pirate speak.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm in, Character Name - Siegfried Maxim (yes spelled it Siegfried instead of Siegfreid this time). Look forward to running into all of you again.

Edit: The hardware mouse is fantastic, and the interface has been vastly more responsive than beta.

Delias on

SWTOR - Elysium
    WoW - Siegfreid
    FFXIV - Maxim
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    As for quests, at each of the Aether stones there would occasionally spawn a battle warden that ran his own kind of public quest. It's not much, but it's in addition to leves and story line quests.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Should I get that linked eu client or wait for a NA one, since I'm getting the NA version?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    They're being pretty freaking strict about what clients you can register to your account. Whether or not you cannot log in to the clients for other regions is yet to be seen.

Kashi on
    dura1top.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So perusing the Level 10 leve's, and none of them have equipment rewards. They may have reduced/removed a bunch of those armor rewards to make us focus on crafted goods.

Edit: They also switched up a lot of the stuff the vendors sell. I see bronze and higher gladius for sale in Ul'dah, but no worm eaten shield. Some of the craft goods sellers have changed their wares too. Time to relearn where to buy stuff.

Delias on

SWTOR - Elysium
    WoW - Siegfreid
    FFXIV - Maxim
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I expected some of the NPC things to change. Square does seem pretty set on having gear come from players and pretty much only players.

I'm interested to see how well this does or doesn't work, really. Will items be horrendously overpriced forever? They were getting pretty crazy on the beta.

A lot of people are going to grind to the 20's on their level 1 gear. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be more beneficial to just take everything to 10 and by then that level of gear should be fairly available.

Or is powerleveling better where you can get higher level items to hawk to crafters?

Only time will tell. I'm installing the JP client now. Happy to say the code I got with the JP copy of XIII that I got so cheap worked, so I'mma gettin' mah bonus itamz.

Kashi on
    dura1top.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    You will be missed:cry:

Delias on

SWTOR - Elysium
    WoW - Siegfreid
    FFXIV - Maxim
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    A Beef Supreme by any other name would still smell as... Galka?

Downloading the update through the normal updater at like 2.5 MB/s, which means they did finally steal some real torrent client code. Why the hell did they not do this with FFXI?

I get the feeling I'll be asking that a lot.

The thing I will probably enjoy the least: Translating stat and class names. Oh yeah, this'll be fun.

Kashi on
    dura1top.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    FFXI is seven years old, and started development several years before that.

Torrenting hadn't caught on back then.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    "Beef Supreme" is lost, in spite of attempting to cancel my service on the NA account and then deleting the entire account permenantly.

"Heavy Metal" was taken, so I am temporarily named "Hard Rock."

I suspect I will be remaking my character several times, however, so this may change.

Kashi on
    dura1top.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    When you getting on today Bri? Just a heads up, the crest we had for beta is already in use and all over Ul'dah. D:

Delias on

SWTOR - Elysium
    WoW - Siegfreid
    FFXIV - Maxim
  • Options
    DefenestratorDefenestrator Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Kashi wrote: »
    "Beef Supreme" is lost, in spite of attempting to cancel my service on the NA account and then deleting the entire account permenantly.

"Heavy Metal" was taken, so I am temporarily named "Hard Rock."

I suspect I will be remaking my character several times, however, so this may change.

Macho Flexmore

Defenestrator on
  • Options
    IndieGirlIndieGirl Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    When you getting on today Bri? Just a heads up, the crest we had for beta is already in use and all over Ul'dah. D:

There was someone else using it during Beta too. It wasn't a huge LS, but there were a couple of times where I thought it was some new person only to realize they weren't in Claw Shrimp at all. You would think crests were unique, but I guess not.

Our CEs are out for delivery, so see you tonight!

IndieGirl on
    zle3Y.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    IndieGirl wrote: »

There was someone else using it during Beta too. It wasn't a huge LS, but there were a couple of times where I thought it was some new person only to realize they weren't in Claw Shrimp at all. You would think crests were unique, but I guess not.

Our CEs are out for delivery, so see you tonight!

I look forward to yours and Blm's zany antics. :winky:

Delias on

SWTOR - Elysium
    WoW - Siegfreid
    FFXIV - Maxim
  • Options
    stormcstormc Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The patcher is not moving for me. Are there any ports i need to open or something?

stormc on
    Too big sig. 500x80 plzkthx.
    <3, Echo
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    stormc wrote: »
    The patcher is not moving for me. Are there any ports i need to open or something?

Try downloading the patches from here.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, when do the servers open?

Sigtyr on
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sigtyr wrote: »
    So, when do the servers open?

They should already be up, from what I hear. My box is "out for delivery", so I'm just going on what I've heard.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    There were only about 16 to 20 crests with 8 color picks for each in beta.

I will be home and installing in a little over 5 hours.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ugh, im trying to fill my head with info while working and waiting till 5PM so I can zoom back to my house so I can install the thing.

When it says for players to make a SE account beforehand are they talking about the same account info that was used for FFXI? If thats the case, then my XI account I had 3 years ago during a trial should still be there.

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Register an account at member.square-enix.com/na/

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Alright cool, I already have an account with the members area. I should be good to go then.

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Question - I'm trying to get the code for the Asuran Armguards. My brother was the one who bought FF13 for the ps3, and he told me that he created a SE account and typed in the code. However, from what a few of you have said they are supposed to either e-mail you a key or somehow give you another key to put in to unlock the item. Maybe linking the code to his account unlocked it, I don't really know.
    I'd appreciate any insight on this!

Fryhole on
  • Options
    simsim Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have done so little homework on this game. I just noticed that the starting stats pretty wildly different between different clans of the same races. In the long term, it's a relatively minor complaint, but for right now all of these choices are a little annoying. Lalafell or Miquote, Dunesfolk Plainsfolk Keeper or Seeker, days/moons, all the starting jobs, starter town...I have until this evening to choose between little dude with a cool beard or cat girl. The stat differences I hope won't scale and should be minor in the long term...I really hope.

Since I do plan on leveling all jobs to 10ish first off before committing to one battle and one craft class...are starter weapons/gear easily available for different disciplines, or is there a particular starter gear set that would be best to use long term? When you start at a particular town, does that lock you into a mission storyline and/or housing for that town, or are you free to pick up quest-lines between them?

sim on
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fryhole wrote: »
    Question - I'm trying to get the code for the Asuran Armguards. My brother was the one who bought FF13 for the ps3, and he told me that he created a SE account and typed in the code. However, from what a few of you have said they are supposed to either e-mail you a key or somehow give you another key to put in to unlock the item. Maybe linking the code to his account unlocked it, I don't really know.
    I'd appreciate any insight on this!

log in to his members account at member.square-enix.com and navigate to the FFXIII game. In there there is a link to "Bonus" content, you'll find the key in there, that's the key you need to plug in to "services" in account.square-enix.com

Also for those still waiting to play there is an interesting interview on http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/18897-komoto-regarding-the-future/

@sim the stat difference don't scale, or change in any way. You are in control of where you allocate stats. So it is a relatively minor difference in the beginning that equates to almost no difference at all in the long run.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    sim wrote: »
    I have done so little homework on this game. I just noticed that the starting stats pretty wildly different between different clans of the same races. In the long term, it's a relatively minor complaint, but for right now all of these choices are a little annoying. Lalafell or Miquote, Dunesfolk Plainsfolk Keeper or Seeker, days/moons, all the starting jobs, starter town...I have until this evening to choose between little dude with a cool beard or cat girl. The stat differences I hope won't scale and should be minor in the long term...I really hope.

Since I do plan on leveling all jobs to 10ish first off before committing to one battle and one craft class...are starter weapons/gear easily available for different disciplines, or is there a particular starter gear set that would be best to use long term? When you start at a particular town, does that lock you into a mission storyline and/or housing for that town, or are you free to pick up quest-lines between them?

I thought the same way about the stats, but considering for each physical level you get +5 points to put into stats, it doesn't seem to be as big of a deal as it was in FFXI. Granted there becomes a point where it's no longer 1/1 but even so, it's definitely a min/max scenario and only a small difference.

Fryhole on
This discussion has been closed.