Options

[GoG.com] GoG's holding out for a hero 'till the end of the night

• Options
    BirdsWayBirdsWay Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey look, it's the game I never played that everyone said I should play because it's awesome but it's old so I have never played it!

Time to wish Civ 5 well and retreat to old school RPG time.

BirdsWay on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There is no way Planescape can live up to all the hype and acclaim I've heard it's fans pour on it. What if the loud elite few who played it back in the day have just been spreading horrible lies all these years? I smell conspiracy!

Frem on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Frem wrote: »
    There is no way Planescape can live up to all the hype and acclaim I've heard it's fans pour on it. What if the loud elite few who played it back in the day have just been spreading horrible lies all these years? I smell conspiracy!

Nah it's totally awesome. It's pretty much impossible to become that acclaimed without doing something right. It was the second most requested game on GoG.com and it has been spammed with 5 star ratings. It's safe to say it's good.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    TORMENT IS ON GOG!?

Wha!?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Frem wrote: »

Nah it's totally awesome. It's pretty much impossible to become that acclaimed without doing something right. It was the second most requested game on GoG.com and it has been spammed with 5 star ratings. It's safe to say it's good.

Yeah, the only game more requested was System Shock 2 and that's no big surprise there.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Unfortunately there seem to be some lingering issues with PST on Win 7, at least for me. Thought it was running like a champ aside from the rare crash when it loaded between levels. However as I got into the game I found the spells are really messed up graphically. Lots of big black and brown cubes and stuttering. Some are alright but others just turn into a random mess.

There look to be some fixes for it. I'll see what they do.

Apostate on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    spyduh wrote: »

Fair warning: Even the GOG version of Interstate `76 runs pretty shitty in Windows 7 and/or Vista. Haven't tried it in XP, but all my attempts to play the game were thwarted by myriad bugs and bizarre compatibility issues.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Apostate wrote: »
    Unfortunately there seem to be some lingering issues with PST on Win 7, at least for me. Thought it was running like a champ aside from the rare crash when it loaded between levels. However as I got into the game I found the spells are really messed up graphically. Lots of big black and brown cubes and stuttering. Some are alright but others just turn into a random mess.

I don't think that's a Win 7 problem, I think that's a problem with newer video cards.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Darmak wrote: »

I don't think that's a Win 7 problem, I think that's a problem with newer video cards.

No your right it's mainly an issue with the video cards but Win 7 does not make it easy to fix unlike XP. You have to download the DirectX SDK so that you can turn off hardware acceleration. That seemed to fix most of the issues for me. You do get a mouse cursor that leaves trails occasionally when paused. Otherwise it seems to be the best fix.

The other one was a program called D3D Windower. That worked as well but you had to play in windowed mode (which I hate).

Apostate on
  • Options
    SurfaceBeneathSurfaceBeneath regular
    edited September 2010
    The truly wonderful thing about PS:T coming to GOG is seeing all these new people who haven't gotten a chance to play it before finally stumble into it.

*sniffle* It brings a tear to my eye and makes me wish I could relive the game again for the first time. Post your experiences people! I must relive this game vicariously through you!

SurfaceBeneath on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just started playing Baldur's Gate soooo... This is gonna have to wait :P Maybe even leave it until the Christmas sales

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So who can walk me through which mods I need for Torment? I had some rerelease edition for a while, and I modded it up, but that broke compatability with my saves, and the game kind of sucked anyway. Do I need to mod it at all if I get it from gog? Is it worth playing if I'm not using a walkthrough?

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    GAH! First I discover my only full of money card is back in seattle and now the laptop I have jagged Alliance 2 on is unable to keep a charge, whats next? SS2 ????

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So who can walk me through which mods I need for Torment? I had some rerelease edition for a while, and I modded it up, but that broke compatability with my saves, and the game kind of sucked anyway. Do I need to mod it at all if I get it from gog? Is it worth playing if I'm not using a walkthrough?

This is what I used.

Kelor on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The truly wonderful thing about PS:T coming to GOG is seeing all these new people who haven't gotten a chance to play it before finally stumble into it.

*sniffle* It brings a tear to my eye and makes me wish I could relive the game again for the first time. Post your experiences people! I must relive this game vicariously through you!

Well, as you probably realize from having played the game, there's another way to experience things anew.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh, hey, I loved the Baldur's gate games (still have those around somewhere) but I never did Torment because I never got into Planescape when it was around.

Guess I might have to look into this now.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Kelor wrote: »

This is what I used.

And if you're using the GoG version, start from step 3.

Renzo on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So having P:T made me check out GoG.

Man what, they have Patrician 3? :lol:

I probably should get the new one before getting P3 again.

Also anybody know how VtM:R is compared to Bloodlines?

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    So having P:T made me check out GoG.

Man what, they have Patrician 3? :lol:

I probably should get the new one before getting P3 again.

Also anybody know how VtM:R is compared to Bloodlines?

Redemption isn't as good, but it's still fun if you're into V:tM as a setting.

P4 has been pretty awesome so far, but it changed a good bit from P3.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    How different is it? It does look pretty awesome.

Also, looking at more game like the longest journey and Giants: CK and...

Fuuuuuuuuuuu.

I probably should get Civ 5 and P4 first. :( So cheap though.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well for one, businesses are more financially viable now, which is nice. Ship combat was simplified a bit, as you only control one ship, and couple of other things, and you can also only capture one ship per combat. There's a lot of other stuff, but those are the big ones that stand out to me. Automated trade routes were improved. A lot of people on the official forums are complaining about the changes, but I like them.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well, it's been 5 years since I've played P3, so I think I'll be okay with the changes. :lol:

Ship combat was already pretty simple from what I've remembered.

Also, just thought fuck it and bought The longest journey. Wanted to replay that game again.

Gotta say I like the shelf interface.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Renzo wrote: »

This is what I used.

In reading that, those are the same mods I already used. Is there any reason to get the gog version if I already have discs? Beyond my crippling dd addiction?

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

This is what I used.

In reading that, those are the same mods I already used. Is there any reason to get the gog version if I already have discs? Beyond my crippling dd addiction?

It comes with some neat extras, but you can probably find those online.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

This is what I used.

It comes with some neat extras, but you can probably find those online.

And if you have the CD version, you have to switch discs. No discs with the GoG version.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    And if you have the CD version, you have to switch discs. No discs with the GoG version.

You can copy the CDs to the hard drive and edit the ini to use them.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There's probably no pressing need to buy it, other than to a) not have to worry about your discs getting lost, damaged, or stolen and b) support this awesome site so that they can get even more cool shit that you might not have sitting around.

freakish light on
  • Options
    InexactQuotientInexactQuotient Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I'm definitely getting into Planescape now. I was a little bored after getting out of the mortuary, and the city didn't look all that compelling to me at first. But like you guys said, a few more hours in, exploring the city, trying to pawn off cursed packages, stabbing worthless fork-theives -- yeah I'm having a great time!
    I've got the handful of junk, and I'm ready to go through to portal. Gonna hit up Pharod with the old axe to the head trick.

InexactQuotient on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There's probably no pressing need to buy it, other than to a) not have to worry about your discs getting lost, damaged, or stolen and b) support this awesome site so that they can get even more cool shit that you might not have sitting around.

Or if you are like me:

3) play it on your cd-rom-less eeepc without hassle.

muninn on
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Eeeeeeeeeee!
    Sorry, that wasn't very productive. But that's what I think every time I see that.
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Or any netbook, in fact. Super useful, it turns out.

Xaviar on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, with the combined powers of Baldur's Gate and Planescape, it would seem that Gog's entire "We shut down... NOT!" stunt has been forgiven just as was foretold.

Now, if you'll excuse me, there's something I must do involving a sarcastic floating skull.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Planescape: The Nameless One keeps doing the moonwalk. Anyone else having this problem?

Renzo on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Planescape: The Nameless One keeps doing the moonwalk. Anyone else having this problem?

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/planescape_torment/moonwalking

august on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Xaviar wrote: »
    Eeeeeeeeeee!
    Sorry, that wasn't very productive. But that's what I think every time I see that.
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Or any netbook, in fact. Super useful, it turns out.

My wife does the same thing. "EeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeePC!" :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I love how there is one single sword in the entirety of Planescape.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Is there any way to bring a non-modded save into compatibility with a modded game? I got kind of far and I don't want to have to redo everything. Or do the magic effects work right in the gog-edition?

And I'm confused on the name. Isn't it just called Torment? You wouldn't say Forgotten Realms: Baldur's Gate, right?

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    august wrote: »

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/planescape_torment/moonwalking

Awesome, thanks.

Renzo on
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Darmak wrote: »

No your right it's mainly an issue with the video cards but Win 7 does not make it easy to fix unlike XP. You have to download the DirectX SDK so that you can turn off hardware acceleration. That seemed to fix most of the issues for me. You do get a mouse cursor that leaves trails occasionally when paused. Otherwise it seems to be the best fix.
    The Application Compatibility Toolkit can also fix it, and is more user friendly (and versatile) than the DirectX SDK. However, for the Infinity Engine games you don't have to rely on either of them and you don't have to watch the annoying mouse trail either:

http://github.com/jlanger/nvidia_ddraw_fix/downloads
    Is there any way to bring a non-modded save into compatibility with a modded game? I got kind of far and I don't want to have to redo everything. Or do the magic effects work right in the gog-edition?
    Disable directdraw hardware acceleration and they work as well as they ever will in either edition (I really doubt the GoG edition is any different from the retail DVD release).
    There's a DVD edition, plus since it has no CD protection you're not breaking any laws by copying it to your HDD and running the game from it.

Zell on
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Jeez. Seeing that link with all the mods and fixes makes me want to play this again. But I have The Witcher on my hard drive and I never played it . . . Which one should I play?

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    warder808 wrote: »
    Jeez. Seeing that link with all the mods and fixes makes me want to play this again. But I have The Witcher on my hard drive and I never played it . . . Which one should I play?

Unless I have reason to believe it is terrible, I will almost always go with the game I haven't played before.

Taramoor on