Options

Greg Giraldo memorial [chat]

• Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Very strange. I started off really liking Burn Notice, now I... I kind of really hate it.

I'm the same way about Chuck.

I wonder what happened?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    this sure is a long review I wonder who

oh

Elendil on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Haven't read Snow Crash either. Read the beginning of Quicksilver and didn't like it too much.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Haha, it's either $20 or $37 for the new item sets in TF2.

That's either as much, or more, than I paid for the actual game.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Elendil wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    Germans make the best music

this is a fact

Oooh, let me try!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNv7i9i02Uw

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    i really need to read more.

i used to read a lot when i was younger- especially before i really mastered english (or at least got comfortable with it).

i mean, people here recommended george rr martin and i read them. they were my first books in like... probably a year or two, at least. and i liked 'em a lot.

Organichu on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    OremLK wrote: »
    Haven't read Snow Crash either. Read the beginning of Quicksilver and didn't like it too much.

It seems the further you get into Neal Stephenson's career, the more dense his work becomes. Cryptonomicon was perfect for me, but I'd recommend most people actually go as far back as Snow Crash or The Diamond Age.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I wish that the tories would just kind of disappear

then there'd be a lib dem govt and labor would be out and everything would be roses

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Doc wrote: »
    TV Tropes would be better if you could hide the anime sections by default

I think some of them want to rename it to "manga and anime" instead of "anime and manga" just so it doesn't always come first

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Wait what is this now?

Nocturne on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Very strange. I started off really liking Burn Notice, now I... I kind of really hate it.

I wonder what happened?

I don't hate burn notice, but I definately feel like I'm being jerked around a bit. Like Nix doesn't know where he's going with it at all.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2010

that's over twice what I paid, almost 4 times for the second one

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Sadly once I started being able to afford all the video games I wanted, I stopped reading.

I think my critical thinking and creative skills have actually suffered as a result.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I kind of want to read Atlas Shrugged so my critique of it can be more informed but on the other hand, no.

"I kind of want to skydive without a parachute so my critique of it can be more informed but on the other hand, no."

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I am so godamn horny and it's all because of a dream

You have no idea. On the scale of horniness, you're probably like a tenth of where I am right now.

I do not believe you.

You would be doing other things right now if that were the case.

what makes you think she isn't?

huh?

Upon further reflection there's no way this line of conversation ends well :lol:

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

It seems the further you get into Neal Stephenson's career, the more dense his work becomes. Cryptonomicon was perfect for me, but I'd recommend most people actually go as far back as Snow Crash or The Diamond Age.

That's good to know because that was pretty much my problem with it. I'm just a dumb plebe, I like my fiction accessible.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I wish that the tories would just kind of disappear

then there'd be a lib dem govt and labor would be out and everything would be roses

I wish that the far right and the far left would go away leaving only the core behind

I've done some research and found out that the way to do this would be to poison all farmland and nuke the capital

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2010
    Arivia wrote: »
    Neal Stephenson writes a pretty good sex scene.

Have you read Neal Stephenson?

omg omg omg ilu <3<3<3

Is there anyone in D&D who hasn't read snow crash?

Yep.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

The Baroque Cycle, Cryptonomicon, and Anathem are really quite different from most of his other stuff. The Baroque Cycle, in particular, takes a while to get going, though this is perhaps semi-excusable in a work that comes in three housebrick sized volumes.

japan on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »

Wait what is this now?

there's a new store where you can buy in game items at ridiculous prices, and you can't trade them or craft them like normal items

you can also get the new items either by crafting or from a random drop like any other item

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

That's good to know because that was pretty much my problem with it. I'm just a dumb plebe, I like my fiction accessible.

Give it a shot, I think you'll see a huge difference. It's almost like different authors.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Sadly once I started being able to afford all the video games I wanted, I stopped reading.

I think my critical thinking and creative skills have actually suffered as a result.

I hardly ever read new books

my preferred way of reading is just opening to a page then reading a bit then dozing off

I think I've read through hitchhiker's and dune tens of times this way

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

You do just fine <3

Also, have you read Anathem yet? That could be a bedtime story for like the next year.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Doc wrote: »
    TV Tropes would be better if you could hide the anime sections by default

I think some of them want to rename it to "manga and anime" instead of "anime and manga" just so it doesn't always come first

but having it come first means that I can always skip the first one

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

I wonder what happened?

I don't hate burn notice, but I definately feel like I'm being jerked around a bit. Like Nix doesn't know where he's going with it at all.

I got to the end of season... 3? Where he meets the guy he got blamed for and Management shows up again?

Yeah, it's not that they don't know where it's going, it's just that it's not going anywhere and there never was a plan for it to go anywhere.

It's just boring.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Wait what is this now?

They added a bunch of new items to the game but also added a store so you can buy them. You can also earn items the normal way.

But! Also in this patch they added item sets, these item sets contain hats! These hats, as we all know, are very rare drops.

Take the sniper set for example, the bonus? You can't be headshot. The cost of the hat for this set? $17.

Well played, Valve, well played.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Cryptonomicon was pretty much it for me. I loved it, but the Baroque Cycle and Anathem are just too much.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Give it a shot, I think you'll see a huge difference. It's almost like different authors.

I'll do that. Been meaning to revisit Stephenson anyway, as a big SF reader.

OremLK on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    What time is it? If you guessed International Black Film Festival time then you get a cookie! All my cookies! So.. you'll have to wait until I bake some.

Wait, where is this?

The KIFF (Kansas Int'l Film Festival) starts tonight as well, with a documentary about Stieg Larsson that I wish I could see.

Here in Nashville. Tonight they're showing the winner of the Jury Prize at Cannes.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tv Tropes is ridiculous, because it makes discussing entertainment with people FUCKING OBNOXIOUS!

I use Aliens Tropes and its much more fun.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I always feel that convincing someone to read snow crash is just a little meta.

Galahad on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    What time is it? If you guessed International Black Film Festival time then you get a cookie! All my cookies! So.. you'll have to wait until I bake some.

Wait, where is this?

The KIFF (Kansas Int'l Film Festival) starts tonight as well, with a documentary about Stieg Larsson that I wish I could see.

Oh hey since you two are here...

I had an idea to do a PA Film series. Each week we bring in a forumer who is an expert on various types of film. They select a movie off of instant watch and we discuss it's significance. Do you think there would be interest in this. Do you think it would last more then a week?

I would like to do this but I'm not an expert on anything, nor do I have netflix

Netflix is an amazing value if you like movies. Even if you only get the 1 disk plan, instant watch is an excellent value.
    I think it's worth a shot, at least, as long as we're scrupulous about picking movies that people can find on Instant. In fact, maybe mention the instant thing in the title of the thread. It seems like a lot of forumers have netflix but are kind of paralyzed by choice and would welcome some direction.

Yeah, I'd definitely make that clear to the person selecting each week.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey [chat].

Looking for jobs sucks.

=(

I also need new speakers on this computer, SNSD sounds terrible through them.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Wait what is this now?

They added a bunch of new items to the game but also added a store so you can buy them. You can also earn items the normal way.

But! Also in this patch they added item sets, these item sets contain hats! These hats, as we all know, are very rare drops.

Take the sniper set for example, the bonus? You can't be headshot. The cost of the hat for this set? $17.

yeah, that's kind of ridiculous.

On the other hand, the sniper rifle for that set really sucks, apparently. It's not as good as it sounds.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh so they introduced free-to-play mechanics in a game that costs money. Welp I am done with TF2

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I still haven't managed to get past that one part in The Diamond Age

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Wait what is this now?

Wow.

That's pretty dumb.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I still haven't managed to get past that one part in The Diamond Age

Which one part?

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oh so they introduced free-to-play mechanics in a game that costs money. Welp I am done with TF2

you don't have to buy the items to get them, and the prices are so prohibitive that buying probably isn't even the best option.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I like Netflix too. Watched a lot of movies on Watch Instantly, and my wife uses the disc rental too.

OremLK on
This discussion has been closed.