As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Greg Giraldo memorial [chat]

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Pizza's here! That was fast and the tracker appeared accurate.

What did you get?

A pepperoni and grated parmesan cheese thin crust medium pizza and another medium pizza. Six bucks for each!

It tasted pretty good. The thin crust was really thin, I'd like to try the hand tossed next time.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Anyone here read Headcrash? It's one of my favorites.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cryptonomicon was pretty much it for me. I loved it, but the Baroque Cycle and Anathem are just too much.

I started to read Anathem, but I have become completely bogged down in it. There's too much there to get away with reading it in spurts. I'll probably put it to one side and come back to it.

I've been thinking that I would really like to re-read the Baroque Cycle, actually, but I lent them to someone.

japan on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rammus is a lot of fun it seems. Really different than Mord as a tank. Mostly since he gets tons of assist not as many kills. That and taunting people near turrets is the best thing.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm pissed off at the huge number of "green tea" beverages that might as well be Mountain Dew for the amount of sugar in them.

I mean I shouldn't have to look at the nutrition labels for four different green tea drinks before I find one that doesn't have 200 calories.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Wait you can pay $17 and make headshots impossible?

Sarksus on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cryptonomicon was pretty much it for me. I loved it, but the Baroque Cycle and Anathem are just too much.

I own all four of the latter in hardcover, and yes, I have read all of the Baroque Cycle. It is really good.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    I found Rammus to be way too hard.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

What did you get?

A pepperoni and grated parmesan cheese thin crust medium pizza and another medium pizza. Six bucks for each!

It tasted pretty good. The thin crust was really thin, I'd like to try the hand tossed next time.

fuck homie i want some pizza but

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Rammus is a lot of fun it seems. Really different than Mord as a tank. Mostly since he gets tons of assist not as many kills. That and taunting people near turrets is the best thing.

I need to try him. I've played practice matches with most of this week's heroes... wanted to get through all of them before jumping online.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    And I pretty much loved the Baroque Cycle.

Some of the tension was taken out of it since you knew that certain people would need to survive at least long enough to pass on their genes to make Cryptonomicon possible.

And the final act was a bit weak.

But other than that, one of my favorite books.

Also, Roots speach re: Athena in cryptonimicon is pretty much the best thing ever.

Galahad on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    I still haven't managed to get past that one part in The Diamond Age

Which one part?

The part with the gang rape, ritual murder and cannibalism

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »

His taunt is great in team fights. Hold them in place and lower all their defenses? SURE!

I want to try a hybrid Yi. I've seen no guides for this, I've only seen AP or AD Yi's. I wonder if I can make it work.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

What did you get?

Hand Tossed to quote one of my favorite pie eaters "Sooo goood." The garlic crust thing is likely going to kill you, but its like they baked their dough in the papa johns garlic butter sauce.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    OremLK wrote: »
    Haven't read Snow Crash either. Read the beginning of Quicksilver and didn't like it too much.

It seems the further you get into Neal Stephenson's career, the more dense his work becomes. Cryptonomicon was perfect for me, but I'd recommend most people actually go as far back as Snow Crash or The Diamond Age.

Ugh. Snow Crash was quite good but Diamond Age and Crypto are classic Stephenson: total crash and burn at the end. Especially Diamond Age but the ending of Crypto is like at least "the last page of Dune" levels of ah to hell with the last hundred pages I'm just gonna end it now.

About halfway through a book that guy needs to have an editor just sitting behind him with a tazer, ready to strike as soon as he starts to lose it.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arivia wrote: »

I own all four of the latter in hardcover, and yes, I have read all of the Baroque Cycle. It is really good.

Hi5 for good taste.

Galahad on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Very strange. I started off really liking Burn Notice, now I... I kind of really hate it.

I'm the same way about Chuck.

I wonder what happened?

I don't hate burn notice, but I definately feel like I'm being jerked around a bit. Like Nix doesn't know where he's going with it at all.

I just finished off season 3 and while I still really like the characters and am still not tired of the mystery of the week formula, I am getting fed up with
    the endless parade of master manipulators trying to get Michael to work for them. Every time he kills one another shows up and is like "I WAS THE REAL BOSS ALL ALONG" and it's getting into the realm of self-parody.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    also I am going to go eat my leftover veal and read Chaucer so I can shoot mans tonight

see you later, folks

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010

no

there is a new item set for the sniper

this set includes a hat, a sniper rifle, and a shield

if you wear all three, you can't be headshot

the sniper rifle apparently really sucks and can't headshot

you can get all these items without paying for them, the hat is just rare

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    I'm pissed off at the huge number of "green tea" beverages that might as well be Mountain Dew for the amount of sugar in them.

I mean I shouldn't have to look at the nutrition labels for four different green tea drinks before I find one that doesn't have 200 calories.

It's funny a sparkling water the wife and I like claims "2 calories", but thats per serving, in the bottle 3 servings. I guess 6 calories is way way too much to advertise on.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2010

If you wear the four item set, yes. To be fair, an item of this set also makes it so your sniper rifle can't do headshots, but rather applies the jarate effect when it hits people. But, it still makes you immune to standard countersniping, especially because another item in the set gives you +25 hit points.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

ditto

I need to talk to Zen about learning Warwick

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    OremLK wrote: »
    Haven't read Snow Crash either. Read the beginning of Quicksilver and didn't like it too much.

It seems the further you get into Neal Stephenson's career, the more dense his work becomes. Cryptonomicon was perfect for me, but I'd recommend most people actually go as far back as Snow Crash or The Diamond Age.

Ugh. Snow Crash was quite good but Diamond Age and Crypto are classic Stephenson: total crash and burn at the end. Especially Diamond Age but the ending of Crypto is like at least "the last page of Dune" levels of ah to hell with the last hundred pages I'm just gonna end it now.

About halfway through a book that guy needs to have an editor just sitting behind him with a tazer, ready to strike as soon as he starts to lose it.

I remember that much about Diamond Age. I guess Cryptonomicon was like that a little.

I think mostly these books serve as vehicles for Neal Stephenson to geek out about stuff Neal Stephenson likes. Once he's done geeking out, there probably isn't much interest left for him. Thankfully the bulk of the books I've read were enjoyable enough that I can ignore the rushed endings.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I still haven't managed to get past that one part in The Diamond Age

Which one part?

The part with the gang rape, ritual murder and cannibalism

You haven't missed anything.

Basically once Stephenson completely threw out everything he had built up about his main character and had her move to China for absolutely no fucking reason to take a job she didn't need and generally act in a way that was completely out of character for her just so he could pull a Joss Whedon the book turns to shit.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Haha, it's either $20 or $37 for the new item sets in TF2.

That's either as much, or more, than I paid for the actual game.

Wait what is this now?

They added a bunch of new items to the game but also added a store so you can buy them. You can also earn items the normal way.

But! Also in this patch they added item sets, these item sets contain hats! These hats, as we all know, are very rare drops.

Take the sniper set for example, the bonus? You can't be headshot. The cost of the hat for this set? $17.

Well played, Valve, well played.

Wow.

That's pretty dumb.

everyone laughed at me when I got TF2 for the 360 instead of PC

now who is laughing

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Next TF2 update:

HOMING STICKIES

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

What did you get?

Hand Tossed to quote one of my favorite pie eaters "Sooo goood." The garlic crust thing is likely going to kill you, but its like they baked their dough in the papa johns garlic butter sauce.

Well, the other medium had hand tossed and I tried some of the crust and it was okay but I've had much better. It was too soft.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My cousin has a nine year old son, and she told me he was playing Halo on XBox Live. I proceeded to tell her about game ratings and parental controls, and taught her about teabagging online as well.

I'm pretty sure her son is going to hate me for a long time now. She also said she thinks she just figured out why her house is so popular among the neighborhood kids.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Haha, it's either $20 or $37 for the new item sets in TF2.

That's either as much, or more, than I paid for the actual game.

Wait what is this now?

They added a bunch of new items to the game but also added a store so you can buy them. You can also earn items the normal way.

But! Also in this patch they added item sets, these item sets contain hats! These hats, as we all know, are very rare drops.

Take the sniper set for example, the bonus? You can't be headshot. The cost of the hat for this set? $17.

Well played, Valve, well played.

Wow.

That's pretty dumb.

now who is laughing

No one, since no one plays 360 TF2 at all?

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

ditto

I need to talk to Zen about learning Warwick

You should read/watch some guides on jungling. You should be able to out pace the dual laners in leveling. You should also be watching the minimap so you can be aware of when you can jump out of the jungle for some easy ganks. I believe once warwick gets enough gold he can blue pill home, grab madreds and solo dragon.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

now who is laughing

Still us

You silly fool

I mean at least we have other people to not play the game with

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Next TF2 update:

HOMING STICKIES

that's not very comparable

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I just finished off season 3 and while I still really like the characters and am still not tired of the mystery of the week formula, I am getting fed up with
    the endless parade of master manipulators trying to get Michael to work for them. Every time he kills one another shows up and is like "I WAS THE REAL BOSS ALL ALONG" and it's getting into the realm of self-parody.

Yeah thats bugging me also the episode of the week is getting too housish for forumla and I don't feel the characters are evolving.

Like supernatural has been on for 5 going on 6 seasons and even bit characters have evolved past their original selves. I mean fucking Law and Order has had more characterization.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2010

now who is laughing

Not me.

TF2 got better and better with every patch for a while, I think it has sailed past its sweet spot, however.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    fuck sarks

you almost make me want dominos delivery now when i could walk 1 block and get better pizza

but there is something about dominos... despite its low quality... something

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah I am just kinda uncomfortable with the notion that yo can buy items in TF2

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2010
    omg, jacob you're gonna have to come here. Now. Well, before Saturday. Because Infernal Affairs is playing here Saturday night. And if you get here by tomorrow night we could also catch a viewing of Big Trouble in Little China.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    fuck sarks

you almost make me want dominos delivery now when i could walk 1 block and get better pizza

but there is something about dominos... despite its low quality... something

Walk the block.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    langfor6 wrote: »
    My cousin has a nine year old son, and she told me he was playing Halo on XBox Live. I proceeded to tell her about game ratings and parental controls, and taught her about teabagging online as well.

I'm pretty sure her son is going to hate me for a long time now. She also said she thinks she just figured out why her house is so popular among the neighborhood kids.

Well it also helps your cousin has large breasts and her shower has a window... not that'd know or anything...

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Corbius wrote: »

now who is laughing

No one, since no one plays 360 TF2 at all?

I can still find games.

I mean, it doesn't really matter to me if 800 or 800,000 people play a game as long as I can find fifteen who aren't me.

Jacobkosh on
This discussion has been closed.