As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Assistant Attorney General of Michigan Identifies Greatest Threat To America

124»

• mythagomythago Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That's simple enough to treat the way that co-ed halls were treated back in the day; you can apply to live there, but you won't get assigned to it if you don't want it.

I lived in an all-girls' dorm one year as well. We CONSTANTLY had harassment from guys and the doors had to be locked 24/7. There were two attempted rapes. In the co-ed hall nobody bothered to hook up - it didn't attract the assholes, and there's something about seeing your hallmate after an all-nighter that just kills romance.

mythago on
    Three lines of plaintext:
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    lazegamer wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »
    uh huh... so you don't have any problem with a f-m transgender individual who has undergone all the treatment for gender reassignment surgery except the final snip being forced to live with Freshman male who has never even met a gay person before, let alone a transgender one. You think that's perfectly fine? Really? Because to me it's the exact same as refusing them housing, because they don't have a damn choice.

If the 'freshman male who has never met a gay person' has a problem with it, he can appeal to the housing administration. It's not uncommon for people to appeal their assignments for all kinds of unsubstantial reasons, and there are bigots everywhere. This is what exemptions and single rooms are for.

What's with the scare quotes? You think they don't exist?

Don't be obtuse. Not every quote is a scare quote. It was an awkward turn of phrase that benefited from encapsulation.

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    uh huh... so you don't have any problem with a f-m transgender individual who has undergone all the treatment for gender reassignment surgery except the final snip being forced to live with Freshman male who has never even met a gay person before, let alone a transgender one. You think that's perfectly fine? Really? Because to me it's the exact same as refusing them housing, because they don't have a damn choice.

It's a fucked up situation, like forcing an 18 year old girl live with a m-f in the reverse. Then again, I thought this process took years to go from step A (Im a girl in a guys body) to step D (surgical) and housing aside, I don't think it's all that awesome for 16/17 year olds to be pumped up with estrogen/testosterone. That's a grown up decision to make. kids are fucking dumb.

Doogie Howser aside, kids generally aren't practicing medical doctors.

You are mistaken if you thought I was implying they were. Else, I do not understand your point.

Deebaser on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    mythago wrote: »
    That's simple enough to treat the way that co-ed halls were treated back in the day; you can apply to live there, but you won't get assigned to it if you don't want it.

I lived in an all-girls' dorm one year as well. We CONSTANTLY had harassment from guys and the doors had to be locked 24/7. There were two attempted rapes. In the co-ed hall nobody bothered to hook up - it didn't attract the assholes, and there's something about seeing your hallmate after an all-nighter that just kills romance.

I worked on a committee to try and get gender neutral housing at a medium sized state institution that I shant name. Suffice to say the entire process was demoralizing and fraught with political pitfalls... which is why those universities that do have gender neutral housing rarely publicize it. Regardless, the plan would have been a gender neutral floor students would have to self-select, apply, and be screened for before being allowed to live there.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I worked on a committee to try and get gender neutral housing at a medium sized state institution that I shant name. Suffice to say the entire process was demoralizing and fraught with political pitfalls... which is why those universities that do have gender neutral housing rarely publicize it. Regardless, the plan would have been a gender neutral floor students would have to self-select, apply, and be screened for before being allowed to live there.

How would screening work? "Have you ever raped or attempted to rape someone? No? Then you're cool."

emnmnme on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »

How would screening work? "Have you ever raped or attempted to rape someone? No? Then you're cool."

Yeah. It was actually just a box they checked.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Please tell me this is some sort of Joachim Phoenix hoax thing. Like, deep cover satire or something. PLEASE.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    How does one become Assistant Attorney General in Michigan? Is it through an election where the winner get the AG and the loser gets the AGA? Because that's the only way I see this guy getting to any prominent position, by losing.

Hoz on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mike Cox is a jackass. That's how.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hoz wrote: »
    How does one become Assistant Attorney General in Michigan? Is it through an election where the winner get the AG and the loser gets the AGA? Because that's the only way I see this guy getting to any prominent position, by losing.

Probably hired. The AG is elected. AAG's are employees that work as part of the AG's office. The AG is like the top prosecutor of the state and then he/she has assistant prosecutors. The office also handles fraud and consumer safety and other stuff.

So It Goes on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Woah I just watched the video. This dude is nuts. I'm sick that he's a fellow alum.

So It Goes on
  • MalaysianShrewMalaysianShrew Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mike Cox is a jackass. That's how.

This needs repeating.

MalaysianShrew on
    Never trust a big butt and a smile.
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Got a link that isn't behind a paywall?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Right here
    Armstrong is seeking a personal protection order against Shirvell, who has picketed locations frequented by Armstrong, including his residence and Ann Arbor bars. A spokeswoman for campus police, also confirmed to the Detroit News, Shirvell is a subject of an ongoing investigation of “harassing or stalking” and has been banned from the U-M campus. Shirvell was read a trespass warning on Sept. 14 that bars him from setting foot on campus.

Cox said earlier he hadn’t read all of Shirvell’s blog, “Chris Armstrong Watch,” which harasses the 21-year-old, openly gay president of U-M’s student government, accusing him of “anti-Christian behavior,” “mocking God,” promoting homosexuality and trying “to recruit your sons and daughters” into the gay lifestyle.

So apparently the AG finally got around to reading the blog and was like whoaa hold on this is hells of out of line

Arch on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    So apparently the AG finally got around to reading the blog and was like whoaa hold on this is hells of out of line

I would love to have been a fly on the wall for that conversation.

I imagine it went something like what the fucking fuck?

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    More like:

"Man, this is bringing waaay to much negative attention to the AG's office now. You'd better pack up for the next week or so until this blows over. And keep your mouth shut."

Tach on
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Forar wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »

I would love to have been a fly on the wall for that conversation.

I imagine it went something like what the fucking fuck?

Cox is a big enough jackass that the conversation probably went more like this: "What's on that blog of yours that everybody's so worked up about? Actually, nevermind. Shut up, don't tell me, I don't care. It's an election year and people are yelling at me. Bye."

I don't think he's any more aware today than he was last week about Shivrell's little hobby (that is to say, he was fully aware of it before and didn't just magically discover the double extra crazy last night). He's just getting yelled at a lot more now.

Hevach on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cue Shivrell claiming that Cox has been infected with El Homo Loco.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    edited October 2010
    Got a link that isn't behind a paywall?
    Sorry about that. It was available this morning before I went to class. Thanks for picking up my slack, Arch. :lol:

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• takyristakyris Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    "Due to the "actions", not unlike the disgusting homosexual action he so regularly "gets", of Chris Armstrong, I have been "suspended" from my job. This shows Armstrong's "strong-arm" gay tactics in attempting to manfully force me into submission, thrusting his agenda at me repeatedly until I have no choice but to accept this unwelcome penetration deep into my professional life. Being suspended is like being hung from a high place, and while I am hung now, I will not rest until I know that Chris Armstrong is very well hung. He's trying to blow up anything that gets in the way of his homosexual agenda, but if he thinks he can blow me, he's got another thing "coming"."

takyris on
    edited October 2010
    If this was facebook, I would click like.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wanted to see what the fallout was on the blog, and it's invite only now.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Google cache!

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Aww. I guess he thinks shaming and pointing fingers is only supposed to work one way.

Phoenix-D on
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Aww. I guess he thinks shaming and pointing fingers is only supposed to work one way.

Hetero-normative privilege in action.

Well, that, and the rest of the story.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So would it also be acceptable in your view to force all freshmen to live in dorms coed by room, lazegamer?

Sammich: 'are totally going to get', no. 'may well have a decent chance', sure.

I have heard of co-ed room dorms at university. I have heard that some do it in all their dorms. You have to sign up for it though, they wouldn't randomly assign you with an opposite sex person.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Crosspoast from the Gay rights thread, for tangential relevance:
    The Education Secretary released this statement yesterday.
    "This week, we sadly lost two young men who took their own lives for one unacceptable reason: they were being bullied and harassed because they were openly gay or believed to be gay. These unnecessary tragedies come on the heels of at least three other young people taking their own lives because the trauma of being bullied and harassed for their actual or perceived sexual orientation was too much to bear.

"This is a moment where every one of us - parents, teachers, students, elected officials, and all people of conscience - needs to stand up and speak out against intolerance in all its forms. Whether it's students harassing other students because of ethnicity, disability or religion; or an adult, public official harassing the President of the University of Michigan student body because he is gay, it is time we as a country said enough. No more. This must stop."

Bolded for fuck yeah

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Resurrecting this thread for the happy ending. As soon as the election was over, AG Cox fired Shirvell.
    Gay-bashing Michigan assistant attorney general Andrew Shirvell is fired
    Published: Monday, November 08, 2010, 3:26 PM

University of Michigan alumnus and assistant attorney general Andrew Shirvell speaks about the University of Michigan's student assembly president Chris Armstrong at a Michigan Student Assembly meeting in Ann Arbor.
    Andrew Shirvell, a Michigan assistant attorney general who became internationally known after an appearance on CNN's Anderson Cooper 360 where he defended his attacks on a University of Michigan gay student government leader, has been fired.
    In a statement this afternoon, Attorney General Mike Cox said Shirvell was not being fired for exercising his First Amendment rights, but for lying to investigators during a disciplinary hearing and for posting attacks online during work hours.
    The Detroit Free Press quotes Shirvell's attorney as saying his client was fired after he showed up at a hearing to look into the allegations.
    "They said essentially that as a result of Andrew's conduct, it's become impossible for him to carry out his duties as an attorney general," Freep.com reports attorney Philip Thomas, as saying.

In a September video interview with CNN's Anderson Cooper, Shirvell defended as free speech blogs he posted online attacking Chris Armstrong, the president of the Michigan Student Assembly, as a "radical homosexual." Shirvell also referred to Armstrong as a Nazi and Satan's representative on the assembly.
    "I'm a Christian citizen exercising my First Amendment rights," Shirvell told Cooper.
    Later, Mike Cox, who lost a GOP primary bid for governor in August, that Shirvell's behavior was offensive but he would not be fired because of it.
    In today's statement, Cox cited a number of reasons for his latest decision, saying Shirvell:
    • Showed up at the home of a private citizen three separate times, including once at 1:30 a.m. That incident is especially telling because it clearly was about harassing Mr. Armstrong, not engaging in free speech;
    • Further engaged in behavior that, while not perhaps sufficient to charge criminal stalking, was harassing, uninvited and showed a pattern that was in the everyday sense, stalking.
    This included:
    • Harassing Armstrong's friends as they were socializing in Ann Arbor;
    • Numerous calls to Speaker Pelosi's office, Armstrong's employer, in an attempt to slander Armstrong - and ultimately attempting to cause Pelosi to fire Armstrong;
    • Attempting to "out" Armstrong's friends as homosexual,- several of whom were not gay.

enc0re on
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That good ending is depressing - the election calculus showed it would be a net loss of votes to fire the homophobic dickbag before the election?

Michigan, you make me sad.

JihadJesus on