As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ATTACK OF THE THIRD DIMENSION - IN 3D!!!

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Jimothy wrote: »

This has been out there for a couple days now, but not mentioned here.

I believe it.

Kind of depressing.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    The LuggageThe Luggage Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Jimothy wrote: »

This has been out there for a couple days now, but not mentioned here.

I believe it.

Kind of depressing.

I just don't care anymore.

The Luggage on
    Interminable
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That's why unlike many, I was wary of Nolan being involved with Superman. If any character should not be grounded in reality it's Superman.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't see anything inherently bad about this. I'll judge the product when it comes out.

MastaP on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Has anyone mentioned David E. Kelley developing a Wonder Woman TV show?

Although, personally, a law show with a truth lasso sounds kind of boring....

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    MastaP wrote: »
    I don't see anything inherently bad about this. I'll judge the product when it comes out.

Now we don't know if this going to be the for sure direction of the film, but when you hear that a Superman film is being made, and it is going to focus on the character being unsure if he should become Superman, that doesn't strike you as bad?

Really, who wants to see a whinny, mopey, Superman?

Silver_Mage on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My god, that is such a stupid trailer. It's a voice-over with a bunch of silhouettes, only they used a gimmick to reveal the silhouettes. The screen zooms into this guy's armpit and it turns into another guy. Who came up with this shit? Was there a meeting? Someone in authority actually gave it the thumbs up and allowed it to be created and released.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Why would WB lose the Superman license anyways? Doesn't WB own DC?

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Maybe it has to do with the legal battle going on about Superman that will seemingly never end.

Just like his battle for truth, justice, and the American Way.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    When I found out that lawsuit has been going on since the mid 90s (and only in its current incarnation), I was kind of blown away.

I think that by getting the movie out by 2012 they get sequel rights or something to do two more, and if they don't, then they'll probably have to renegotiate the rights entirely with the creators families.

Edit: That is the worse teaser I've seen for anything in ages. Even the voice over was horrible.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    but when you hear that a Superman film is being made, and it is going to focus on the character being unsure if he should become Superman, that doesn't strike you as bad?

No, not at all. There have been several good stories that used a similar approach, such as Birthright, Action Comics 800 and even Superman for all seasons.

Plus it's a good way to have an origin story and start a new series without retreading Superman: The Movie

MastaP on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Introspection is fine, but not with Snyder at the helm.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    One of my biggest fears about Superman is that in one of his endless origin retoolings, they introduce the idea Pa Kent would be a drunk or abuse Clark as a kid, in order to make Superman not seem so bright and cheery and have a troubled past. Hell, they might have done this in Smallville.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Bo Duke would never do such a thing

MastaP on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    One of my biggest fears about Superman is that in one of his endless origin retoolings, they introduce the idea Pa Kent would be a drunk or abuse Clark as a kid, in order to make Superman not seem so bright and cheery and have a troubled past. Hell, they might have done this in Smallville.

what? no!

Furu on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I don't know if they did or not, I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me.

You know, Clark clears the field so quickly as an 8 year old, Pa has nothing else to do but drink all day and be jealous over his adopted son. And then he gets upset that the field wasn't cleared fast enough, and takes it out on Clark. He only sobers up for fear of Martha taking Clark and going to Keystone City (see? it's a twist!)

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    How would you not know that?

I'm pretty sure you would have heard someone talking about it if it had happened

Furu on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I really don't think we need an origin story at all for Superman. I mean really, who really doesn't know Superman's origin?

Silver_Mage on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I really don't think we need an origin story at all for Superman. I mean really, who really doesn't know Superman's origin?

Exactly. All-Star Superman has this down pat. Honestly you only need to portray an early Superman if you want to tell stories about early Superman, unlike with msot heroes where the origin is entirely needed when you make a film or whatever.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Also, blame my hatred of mopey Superman on Smallville. That show has made me hate emotional Superman so much.

Silver_Mage on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Also, blame my hatred of mopey Superman on Smallville. That show has made me hate emotional Superman so much.

Primary plot element of season 1, episode 1 of Smallville = Lana and Clark like each other but don't want to do anything about it.

Primary plot element of season 3, episode 22 of Smallville = Lana and Clark like each other but don't want to do anything about it.

Never really watched further than that. For God's sake stop fucking about, and start fucking about.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Primary plot element of every episode of Smallville's final season: insanity

Furu on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Smallville is terrible. It is so bad. I ccan usually forgive geek related TV for being bad but Smallville is off the bottom of the scale. I mean, it is a TV show about a teenager with superpowers how do you fuck that up so terribly.

The Cap game looks pretty cool. The combat look good, similar to Arkham Asylum in that there is a definate grace, crunch and connection to Cap's moves.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Have you watched any of season 10?

it is completely insane

I mean jesus Deadshot is a recurring villain now

Furu on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Furu wrote: »

it is completely insane

This is a terrible thing and as such does not suprise me that it has been used in Smallville.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I actually want to watch season 10 because of all the guest stars. My favorite part about Smallville is when other comic heroes and villains show up.

Oh, and Solar, you must of missed the season of Smallville when Lana gets powers and spends the day having super sex with Clark.

Silver_Mage on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I actually want to watch season 10 because of all the guest stars. My favorite part about Smallville is when other comic heroes and villains show up.

Oh, and Solar, you must of missed the season of Smallville when Lana gets powers and spends the day having super sex with Clark.

I did, but I bet that afterwards they weren't dating or anything like that and they went back to the same awkward "I can never go out with you if you won't suffer my neurotic obsession with knowing everything about you Clark," "I will always be there for you but miss every social event we we could go to Lana" type thing.

I don't want to talk about Smallville any more. Zack Snyder please make a really good Superman film that would be great thanks.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Actually, she has a Kryptonite infused aura or some shit now, but your right, lets get off that.

Anyone else enjoying No Ordinary Family? I really like that show so far. It caused me to ponder, has anyone ever just tripped the flash?

Silver_Mage on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think it has happened before, but the fact that he exists on a plane where he moves faster than anything else lets him see it coming literally from a mile away.

But you can do it to Julie Benze all you want because she's Julie Benze.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    edited October 2010

sp6c.jpg

And I like No Ordinary Family too. And Wally was injured in Morrison's Flash run, where he fell at super speed through a subdivision and broke his leg and everything, and was out a few weeks even with super fast healing.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

so you've seen the movie then? how is it.

Angry on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2010
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    My god, that is such a stupid trailer. It's a voice-over with a bunch of silhouettes, only they used a gimmick to reveal the silhouettes. The screen zooms into this guy's armpit and it turns into another guy. Who came up with this shit? Was there a meeting? Someone in authority actually gave it the thumbs up and allowed it to be created and released.

it's an announcement teaser

that's what they do

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Furu wrote: »

it is completely insane

except that Deadshot is now a steampunk cowboy

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Jim West, desperado?

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Angry wrote: »

Since when is it inappropriate to make preliminary judgments based on a director's prior work?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Angry wrote: »

Since when is it inappropriate to make preliminary judgments based on a director's prior work?

Some of us already made that mistake with The Last Airbender.

"Shyamalan's proven to be at the very least a competent director, surely TLA won't be the worst movie to come out in the last 5 years?" I'm almost positive Snyder's Superman will be better than TLA though so I'm not comparing the two.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Snyder seems like a good guy who means well, at least that's the vibe I got from his interviews when Watchmen was coming out. He's not as full of himself as Shyamalan comes off in interviews.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm not saying he's utterly incompetent, but rather that dialing down the action and portraying a Superman plagued by self-doubt doesn't play to Snyder's strengths.

Robos A Go Go on