Options

2010 Midterm Elections, or: Barnum Was Right

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It took them a while but they did eventually suspend/fire the guy or something.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Holy shit. I just got a phone call invite to a Christine O'Donnell teleconference "town hall". I think she got a hold of Mike Castle's call list. :P

I'm listening in now...
    Currently, misinformation about [strike]HCR[/strike] ObamaCare. "No dialogue, doesn't address cost." Attributes currently rising costs to HCR. Businesses are dropping employee coverage because non-compliance fees are cheaper. Full repeal, start over!

She currently sees Hillary Clinton for president ads on TV! Still more misinformation on HCR. Death panels!

Portability, access across state lines, tort reform. Those items that Republicans might have helped pass had they participated in the process.

2,000 callers on the line. Some one is sort of leading her discussion. Seems scripted (hear what sounds like a paper shuffle when she is transitioning topic.) More misinformation on [strike]HCR[/strike] ObamaCare before moving onto veteran health care.

Says veterans should be able to access private care, say for regular checkups, through a certified network of private care providers instead of traveling to VA facilities.

Moving on to debt, paying $1b/day in interest. When debt matches GDP our economy will collapse. Debt to China! Oh noes! #1 foreign policy concern is Iran obtaining nuclear weapons? Quite an abrupt transition.

Iran says they will give weapons to terrorist to detonate on our shores. US Allies cut off gasoline to Iran, but China takes advantage of those sanctions. China smirks because of our debt to them.

"America should not be on their knees begging to China." We need to be #1 superpower. China-North Korea. China won't cooperate because of our debt.

13,000 listeners over the course of the call. Apparently they are asking the callers who they are voting for. Callers asking questions are not on the air.

She's trying to make a case for why people should trust her. She knows enough about Washington, but not influenced or something like that. inflating stories about her past, avoiding negative stories and spinning the story about selling her house. Once elected, Friday Forums to explain her actions in Washington.

Goes back to Kennedy, cut taxes so low there was public outcry, but we prospered. Reagan! Cut taxes! Coupled with cutting spending. Disregarded his corrections. Regardless of party, we prosper when taxes cut. Says Bush cut taxes but increased spending.

Cancel unspent stimulus. Cut millions to ineffective programs. Millions! Prosperity will fund NPO's to pick up slack on programs like fighting drug usage?

Fight massive tax increases! Top 2% of earners are small business owners! They can't afford tax increases, doors closing, jobs lost! Seniors can;t afford $100 increase, I guess assuming the majority of tax cuts are extended? Cap and trade will cost DE 6,000 jobs!

Death Tax repeal will save us 1 million jobs! I don't know if I can endure much more of this. So much misinformation.

$2.5m of stimulus going to China to teach Chinese prostitutes to drink responsibly? Stimulus dollars going to give cigarette smokers smartphones? Federal hiring freeze on non security workers. Balance budget and stick to it! Hold her to it at Friday Forums!

Future of Social Security. Bankrupt in 30 years. Enact reforms to keep promises to future seniors. Reforms should not affect current dependents of SS. First, discuss right course of action. Immediately, move SS contributions out of general funds. Its "raided" in general fund. Not talking about privatizing.

In favor of term limits; self limiting herself to 2 terms.

Improve schools for everyone. "Race to the Top" will not do that. It throws more money on broken system. Liberal democrats teachers support her (LOL) because of Race to the Top, due to mandates on teaching programs. Teachers still forced to pay for supplies out of pockets. One size does not fit all (i.e. southern vs northern DE), stifles creativity in curriculum. Federal gov't should not dictate what is taught in schools.

Moves into attacking Coons. Will mandate that gov't has final say in classrooms (pretty sure this is false). Raised taxes, and fees! Taxes increasing in January!(?) Balanced county budget by raising taxes! (How horrible that he cut spending too!) Now she is making things up, saying he created a slush fund and used it to pay a private investigator to follow his opponents.

We're in the situation we are in because our elected officials listen to lobbyists. She promises to continue to listen to "you" (assuming you don't work for The News Journal.)

She's told she's within single digits of Coons. LOL Spread the word, Call your friends, call your church group. Tax increases coming in January! Implies she would be Independent. Won't support Republican agenda (ha), definitely won't support Democrat agenda.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Putting your boot heel to BP after BP dumps 70,000 barrels of oil into the gulf coast every single day: Un-American.

Putting your boot heel to a 5' woman for carrying a cardboard sign you don't like: Patriot.

The latest nutcase talking point is that not only did Obama cause the spill, but he personally kept BP from fixing it for months to hammer home his anti-drilling agenda

I know this because it's one of the things I've been designated a lunatic for not believing

You should make a point of condescendingly referring to these people as idiots and mouth-breathers. I'm sure they'll love it when they're on the receiving end of snide comments about their mental faculties.

Where the hell do you go to school? Glenn Beck "university"?

I'm sure I'll get a good grade referring to a professor as an idiot and a mouth breather

he did give my speech about Ronald Reagan a perfect score and said it was the best he'd ever heard

I wanted to wipe my mouth off after verbally fellating a president I despise so hard (we were not allowed to criticize reagan in the assignment, it had to be all praise for him)

override367 on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Putting your boot heel to BP after BP dumps 70,000 barrels of oil into the gulf coast every single day: Un-American.

Putting your boot heel to a 5' woman for carrying a cardboard sign you don't like: Patriot.

The latest nutcase talking point is that not only did Obama cause the spill, but he personally kept BP from fixing it for months to hammer home his anti-drilling agenda

I know this because it's one of the things I've been designated a lunatic for not believing

You should make a point of condescendingly referring to these people as idiots and mouth-breathers. I'm sure they'll love it when they're on the receiving end of snide comments about their mental faculties.

I'm sure I'll get a good grade referring to a professor as an idiot and a mouth breather

he did give my speech about Ronald Reagan a perfect score and said it was the best he'd ever heard

I wanted to wipe my mouth off after verbally fellating a president I despise so hard (we were not allowed to criticize reagan in the assignment, it had to be all praise for him)

Wow. I hope you're not going to a public university. That's all I can say without expletives.

anable on
  • Options
    JudgementJudgement Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Was this the same guy who wanted you to review the "Wall" Speech?

Also, maybe its just me, but I can't find anything that makes Reagan the worst president. I mean, he's no political God, but he isn't the worst.

His "followers", on the other hand...

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    I finally watched the curb-stomping video.

I just... I probably shouldn't speak words right now.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Judgement wrote: »

Also, maybe its just me, but I can't find anything that makes Reagan the worst president. I mean, he's no political God, but he isn't the worst.

That Reagan wasn't the worst President speaks more to the poor quality of our leaders than anything else.
    But seriously fuck Reagan. Fuck him for being a backstabbing prick, fuck him for Iran-Contra, and fuck him for being an idiot who didn't know the first thing about policy. And fuck the cultists that he inspired.

Brian Krakow on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Headline says that police are considering more arrests, though it's hard to tell from the quote in the article.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    NailbunnyPD, you deserve a stiff drink for sitting through all of that.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My respect for Lungren has dipped to record lows.

One of mailers I got today was super-saturated in order to make Bera's skin look darker. Racist ass.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I guess NPR didn't like the rights comments about the Juan firing

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130845545?

yikes

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Headline says that police are considering more arrests, though it's hard to tell from the quote in the article.

Sounds like ABC news isn't as well-informed on the story as most of the people reading this forum -- no one has or will be arrested because the charges are misdemeanors. Also the guy who pushed her to the ground has been identified.

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    pslong9 wrote: »
    NailbunnyPD, you deserve a stiff drink for sitting through all of that.

I will take you up on your recommendation.

I also feel obliged to share this story about an O'Donnell interview gone wrong.

http://www.wdel.com/story.php?id=427813076639
    The Christine O'Donnell campaign is apologizing to WDEL after it demanded that video of an O'Donnell appearance on "The Rick Jensen Show" be destroyed and threatened a lawsuit if it wasn't.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

KalTorak on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I also feel obliged to share this story about an O'Donnell interview gone wrong.

http://www.wdel.com/story.php?id=427813076639
    The Christine O'Donnell campaign is apologizing to WDEL after it demanded that video of an O'Donnell appearance on "The Rick Jensen Show" be destroyed and threatened a lawsuit if it wasn't.

"Freedom of the Press is in the 1st Amendment?"

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well played, sir.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    OHMYGOD

Nailbunny

Have you seen the new ad against Chris Coons?

Just played on Rachel Maddow.

From the National Right to Work Committee.

It's horrible horrible ohmygod biased Anti-union ad. But the payoff, the best thing in the world, comes at the end. Where they suggest/insist that you call Senator Chris Coons at This number (302)xxx-xxxx to complain and tell him he's useless.

Please notice the words there.

My father and I were both laughing. So hard.

Got it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGlLRb4VYdk

the funny happens around 0:44

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

yikes

Page not found.

Edit: And then it suddenly was. Nm.

anable on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It's horrible horrible ohmygod biased Anti-union ad. But the payoff, the best thing in the world, comes at the end. Where they suggest/insist that you call Senator Chris Coons at This number (302)xxx-xxxx to complain and tell him he's useless.

I've seen it in passing. That is pretty great. Did you catch my post last page?

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Judgement wrote: »

That Reagan wasn't the worst President speaks more to the poor quality of our leaders than anything else.
    But seriously fuck Reagan. Fuck him for being a backstabbing prick, fuck him for Iran-Contra, and fuck him for being an idiot who didn't know the first thing about policy. And fuck the cultists that he inspired.

Fuck him for killing the Metric system in the US as well.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

I've seen it in passing. That is pretty great. Did you catch my post last page?

I did.

And trust me, if you weren't an hour or so away, I'd buy you whatever drink you wanted.

only call I got today was a robocall from Chip Flowers, and the DelDems called asking who i was voting for. and I gave him some time back by telling him , "Me and both my parents are voting straight dem ticket."

he thanked me nicely and moved on to the next person on his list. I feel that I helped in quite a nice way.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I am so fucking sick of union bashing. It is so goddamn tiresome.

I just need to say that.

Brian Krakow on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I am so fucking sick of union bashing. It is so goddamn tiresome.

I just need to say that.

Agreed. completely.

But enjoy the 16 seconds wherein they admit they've already lost the election.

Just bask in that glorious knowledge.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

yikes

I don't get what that has to do with the Juan Williams story.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I think.

I think I just heard the president suggest a change to the Senate Filibuster Rules for next session.

That was.

Highly Amazing.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think.

I think I just heard the president suggest a change to the Senate Filibuster Rules for next session.

That was.

Highly Amazing.

It is literally the only way anything is going to get done in the next two years.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    well yes.

but hearing it from President Obama? On The Daily Show?

Intriguing.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The redistricting thing is almost as important, but the federal government has less authority in that realm. I wish every state would adopt I believe Iowa's system. Which just lets a computer do it without considering partisanship, just geographic and population integrity.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What exactly would it take to change the Filibuster rules?

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    1) 67 votes if in the middle of the term.
    2) 50 votes + Biden at the beginning of a term and a willingness of Senators to give up their ability to bring the entire Senate to a halt to grandstand and get whatever pet project they want but no one else cares about. Like the Lincoln History of Corn Museum.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    A Cincinnati Catholic school sent a letter of apology to parents after Rep. Jean Schmidt (R-OH) got a little off-topic in a speech given to elementary school students from first through eighth grade: she began talking about how abortion is killing a child in the womb.

Brian Krakow on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    ...fantastic.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Obama's endorsement of the idea isn't going to change a single Senator's mind, and we wouldn't be able to get a majority vote for changing the rules even with the current Senate. It's not going to happen.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, we'll probably have to wait for a Republican Congress to change it to overcome a Democratic filibuster of kitten-punching legislation.

Brian Krakow on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Today appears to be "President Obama talks to the base" day. That's a transcript of the President talking to five liberal bloggers on a variety of issues. One of the guys from Crooks and Liars, Atrios/Duncan Black, one from America Blog and two I'm not entirely sure of.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    And I felt the need to drop these here. Because honestly, who doesn't agree with these. (well other than MM and nstf, and dragonsama....)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCSMyFWTjRc&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVdz985HTJk

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think.

That was.

Highly Amazing.

What happened?

shryke on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The President, in two separate interviews (one with bloggers from Daily Kos, America Blog, Crooks and Liars, Duncan Black, and one other who I don't remember, it's linked up above; and the other on The Daily Show) said that some of the things that is hampering his problems are structural. The two he pointed out in particular were the abuse of the filibuster and the way that a lot of districts (I'd guess about 300 of the 425) are so gerrymandered one party or the other absolutely cannot lose them.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Jack Conway, the Democratic Senate candidate in Kentucky, at a Democratic rally in Louisville, condemned the men caught stomping on the head of a liberal activist.

The encounter, between supporters of Conway’s opponent, Republican Rand Paul, and the activist, who was dressed as a Paul supporter, was captured on video outside a debate this week in Lexington and went viral on the Internet.

Conway accused Paul’s camp Wednesday night of a “half-hearted, sort-of apology.”

Conway also tried to push the incident as a women’s issue and said the election presents a “clear choice ... for the women of the commonwealth.”

“If you’re a woman in the commonwealth, you have a clear choice," Conway said. "Let me step back here for a second. I saw the video of what happened outside of our debate Monday night, and I was horrified.”

“Never -– I don’t care if you’re in politics, I don’t care what you’re in -- but NEVER is it appropriate for a man to drag a woman to the ground and use physical violence against her, EVER.”

Later, at a Q&A, Conway told reporters that Paul needs to give back a reported $1,950 donation from Tim Proffit, the man who admitted to stomping on the woman’s head. The Louisville Courier-Journal is reporting that Paul is reneging on a promise to return the money.

Interesting.

Any other politician would have donated the money to a battered woman's shelter.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The President, in two separate interviews (one with bloggers from Daily Kos, America Blog, Crooks and Liars, Duncan Black, and one other who I don't remember, it's linked up above; and the other on The Daily Show) said that some of the things that is hampering his problems are structural. The two he pointed out in particular were the abuse of the filibuster and the way that a lot of districts (I'd guess about 300 of the 425) are so gerrymandered one party or the other absolutely cannot lose them.
    *sigh*

Yes, let's change the rules of the Senate after we've lost it. That sounds like a good plan.
    Alright, I still don't think the Senate will be lost but it looks horrible doing it this way.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
This discussion has been closed.