As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2010 Midterm Elections, or: Barnum Was Right

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I guess NPR didn't like the rights comments about the Juan firing

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130845545?

yikes

I don't get what that has to do with the Juan Williams story.

I heard a story from NPR about the Chamber of Commerce a few weeks ago. They've been on this to some extent since the Supreme Court made their decision.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    2012: Return of the "Guy who brought you Willie Horton race-baiting." This time, we will call on scary Chinese people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTSQozWP-rM&feature=player_embedded

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    2012: Return of the "Guy who brought you Willie Horton race-baiting." This time, we will call on scary Chinese people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTSQozWP-rM&feature=player_embedded

Oh, for FUCK'S sake. I can't tell you how unbelievably insulted I am right now. :x

Edit: Not to mention that the reason why China's anti-recession policies worked so well was precisely because they really went all-in with stimulus spending. *facepalm*

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    And I felt the need to drop these here. Because honestly, who doesn't agree with these. (well other than MM and nstf, and dragonsama....)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCSMyFWTjRc&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVdz985HTJk[url][/url]

I actually kind of went off on a person I was talking to last night while campaigning in the style of video 1 except much less eloquent and verbose.
    Young sounding person answers phone so I do my regular spiel "Hi I'm with the colorado democratic party"
    Him *in a very very snide tone*: why should I support democrats?
    Me: because dems actually care about people and have passed good bills like HCR and wall street reform. You should only support the GOP if you make over 250k a year, hate gay people, women, or hispanics.
    Him: Ok sounds good. I will vote for them when I turn 18, right now I'm 14
    Me: *sigh* are your parents home?
    Him: nope

At least it was some kid that I kinda went off on and not a current voter. I shouldn't have done it but at least it was one call out of weeks and weeks of calls that I've made.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The President, in two separate interviews (one with bloggers from Daily Kos, America Blog, Crooks and Liars, Duncan Black, and one other who I don't remember, it's linked up above; and the other on The Daily Show) said that some of the things that is hampering his problems are structural. The two he pointed out in particular were the abuse of the filibuster and the way that a lot of districts (I'd guess about 300 of the 425) are so gerrymandered one party or the other absolutely cannot lose them.
    *sigh*

Yes, let's change the rules of the Senate after we've lost it. That sounds like a good plan.
    Alright, I still don't think the Senate will be lost but it looks horrible doing it this way.

As you said, I don't think the Republicans will take over the Senate. But what's more preferable - changing the rules for the better (and if you do it now, it will be all but forgotten by the time the next major election comes around), or an even further increase of this:

filibuster3.jpg

Oh, and we're at 123 for this current Congress.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I was about to say that Plat

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh my god. :lol:

Saw this at RPGFan.com :

ellen.jpg

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    YodaTuna wrote: »

I also feel obliged to share this story about an O'Donnell interview gone wrong.

http://www.wdel.com/story.php?id=427813076639
    The Christine O'Donnell campaign is apologizing to WDEL after it demanded that video of an O'Donnell appearance on "The Rick Jensen Show" be destroyed and threatened a lawsuit if it wasn't.

"Freedom of the Press is in the 1st Amendment?"

So tempted to report this for awesome. Even if I put the context in there, though, political jokes don't do so well in Awesome Posts?.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    To add to that initial story, this is why O'Donnell was so upset:

http://blogs.delawareonline.com/dialoguedelaware/2010/10/27/wdel-reports-odonnell-campaign-threatened-to-sue-over-interview-video/
    In the interview, O’Donnell criticized Democrat Chris Coons management of the county, including raising property taxes and using a discretionary fund to buy tickets to fundraisers.

Jensen, a conservative talk show host, pressed O’Donnell about what she would have done differently and said the discretionary fund wouldn’t have amounted to enough to make a difference in the budget.

“I’m running for U.S. Senate,” O’Donnell said. “I don’t have the budget in front of me and nor should I because I’m not running for county executive, I’m running for U.S. Senate.”

Jensen continued to press her, saying if she’s going to criticize Coons for the county’s management, she should be able to offer alternatives.

“I’m not going to debate you on whether I’m running for county council, I’m running for the U.S. Senate,” O’Donnell said. “If you would like to talk about what I would do there than we can continue but if not bring on whoever is running for the county council.”

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If by some miracle she wins, I think my hand might cave in from the weight of the facepalm.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Is she wins I'll attempt to steal and eat a 5-star general's hat.

Malkor on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well, a new poll came out today that increases Coons lead from +17 to +21. This increase is isolated to this specific polling organization, though, and I don't think we'll see any more polling here. I think the large gap has cause pollsters to move on to other races.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Looks like Joe Miller is going to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory:
    A new poll conducted by Hays Research confirms what we already intuitively know. Alaska U.S. Senate candidate Joe Miller's candidacy is in big trouble.

The percentage of Alaskans who feel either "somewhat negative" or "very negative" about Miller has skyrocketed in recent weeks to an astronomical 68 percent. Only 8 percent feel "somewhat negative" and the remainder, a jaw-dropping 60 percent, feel "very negative" about Miller as a candidate.

Hays asked the question (replicating the experience of the voter going in to the booth in which they will not see the name of write-in candidate Lisa Murkowski on the ballot), "If the election for U.S. Senate were held today, and the candidates were Joe Miller, Scott McAdams, Frederick Haase, Tim Carter, Ted Gianoutsos, or another candidate you have to write in, for whom would you vote, or are you undecided?

The result? Scott McAdams surging ahead of Joe Miller with 29 percent, Joe Miller with 23 percent, and the write-in candidate (most of which are presumably Lisa Murkowski) with a small gain bringing her to 34 percent, and undecided voters still at 13 percent. This is the first time that McAdams has polled better than Miller, and he did it by six points, comfortably outside the margin of error of 4.8 percent -- a watershed moment for the McAdams campaign.

More news from that race: the Alaska Supreme Court has ruled that voters can be shown the list of certified write-in candidates (which includes Murkowski) if the voter says they need help and ask to be shown the list.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Did any of the other tea baggers endorse the witch?

Because otherwise, efforts would probably be better focused elsewhere.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    How is Conway losing to Rand fucking Paul?

Deebaser on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »

It's Kentucky. Jesus could have a (D) by his name and still lose.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man, Rand Paul. I don't know how I feel about that. On the one hand, he's batshit nuts. On the other unlike most of the Tea Party candidates he's not parroting the 'deficit reduction is all that matters!' line while simultaneously screeching against any reduction in Medicare or military budgets and howling for lower taxes. He's a nutter, but at least his nuttiness is somewhat consistent rather than simply insane or opportunistic.

[Edit]
    And no hispanic dude names Jesus is winning an election in the deep south anytime soon, D or not. Texas and the southwest, sure.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »

Of course he'd lose, we don't want any of them Mexican's around stealin' our jobs! He probably isn't even American. Show us your birth certificate Hey-zeus.!
    "What, this birth certificate doesn't even list a father! gotta be a fake."

Tomanta on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Do I have to repost my "Kentucky is not an unassailable Republican stronghold" rant?

Kilroy on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Nah, I'll take back my words if Paul doesn't win.

I don't think I'll be taking my words back.

Also, another "random" incident that in no way demonstrates escalating tendency to violence from the right: http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/10/washington-man-arrested-for-assaulting-anti-rossi-protester.php

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Also, another "random" incident that in no way demonstrates escalating tendency to violence from the right: http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/10/washington-man-arrested-for-assaulting-anti-rossi-protester.php

Oh shit. She's cute and blond, how did this not gain traction?

edit: Well. Probably 'cause it was just a slapping and that ain't news.

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Conway's problem is that he didn't start campaigning soon enough. He's been steadily gaining on Paul for the past month. If he'd had another month or two, he'd probably be in the lead right now.

As it is, he's within 5 points and is about to start his final advertising push. It's going to be close either way.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Malkor wrote: »

Oh shit. She's cute and blond, how did this not gain traction?

edit: Well. Probably 'cause it was just a slapping and that ain't news.

Also nobody got a video clip of it.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Another one of his supporters was arrested outside of their first debate for driving around promising to murder murray supporters if I remember right.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Welp... I Voted.

Hooray for Washington State and its by-mail voting.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Kilroy wrote: »

Do I have to repost my "Kentucky is not an unassailable Republican stronghold" rant?

It's increasingly becoming one, like most of Appalachia.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Conway's problem is that he didn't start campaigning soon enough. He's been steadily gaining on Paul for the past month. If he'd had another month or two, he'd probably be in the lead right now.

As it is, he's within 5 points and is about to start his final advertising push. It's going to be close either way.

Money is why he didn't, just as a guess. You don't try to spend as much as the infinite money wurlitzer because then you're broke in the last two weeks.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Money is why he didn't, just as a guess. You don't try to spend as much as the infinite money wurlitzer because then you're broke in the last two weeks.

Even so, he could have done something to let people know that he existed.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PiqXQeOl_w

I hear "freedom of the press" isn't in the Constitution either.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    She's a nutter, but ultimately a distraction and irrelevant.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I just hope she doesn't turn into another Sarah Palin

ronzo on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    She's a nutter, but ultimately a distraction and hilarious.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ronzo wrote: »

She was Sarah Palin before Sarah Palin was Sarah Palin. This woman runs for office for a living. On an alternate universe she has already won the election, then quit to feast on some hearty wingnut welfare.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ronzo wrote: »

Probably will. A stupid, pretty face that says dumb things the news can report on? It's like a political reality TV-series. Like Palin, she'll lose and election and hang around Fox News saying retarded things for a few years.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So one of my friends keeps getting her signs stolen.

Anyone have suggestions for something to coat it with, along the lines of super glue or paint, that won't dry quickly?

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Anyone have suggestions for something to coat it with, along the lines of super glue or paint, that won't dry quickly?

Healthy dose of irritant.

Mace or concentrated cinnamon oil.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

You don't really want to invite republicans to sue you. A lot of them, especially crazy preacher types, use it as a revenue stream.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2010
    Or how about getting one of those paintball grenades and rigging it so it blows when the stake is pulled out of the ground?

Worst thing that happens is you give the clothes of the assailant a fresh coat of glorious paint.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Wrap it in wire mesh and hook it up to an electrical source. I'm semi-serious about this suggestion.

EDIT: Paintball grenade sounds good too. Actually, hmm, I wonder if I could design some contraptions for thwarting sign stealers...

wwtMask on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh god Movon this is just so odd, but, hey, it has olivia wilde

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfXNVhU2EfM&feature=player_embedded

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
This discussion has been closed.