50 First [chat]s

• Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Res wrote: »
    facebook chat sucks my cock

That is an upgrade I can get behind.
    But KBR is so much better at that than the government is

When the government has actual government employees in charge of this, they just end up hiring random ass Indians to do it. So it still ends up being outsourced, but with a much lower budget.

.....?

I'm not kidding. In most of Iraq and the biggest bases in Afghanistan the dining halls are run by KBR. At the base I'm at now, they're run by a few government workers overseeing Indian workers they hired with their government budget cooking food they bought with the same government budget.

If they had just started by contracting to KBR or some other private company from the top instead of giving the responsibility to government workers for them to contract it out, we'd have a higher quality service for the same amount of money.

bull shit

That has absolutely nothing to do with what I just said.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm really torn on feminism and fat acceptance and a lot of similar things lately. I feel like I'm struggling with what used to be an enormous part of my identity. :(

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    http://www.justin.tv/cj_iwakura

If anyone can volunteer to help me test out a livestream, I'd greatly appreciate it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm really torn on feminism and fat acceptance and a lot of similar things lately. I feel like I'm struggling with what used to be an enormous part of my identity. :(

what do you mean?

I am interested in hearing your thoughts, if you don't want to make poast about it, i would like to hear em Pm wise

Arch on
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    i definitely don't like this new thing going around about a "liberal gene"...i kind of take a PZ meyers view to it....

There is some early 1900's level poisonous thinking going on here...

Galahad on
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat

Man, truth really is stranger than fiction

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i definitely don't like this new thing going around about a "liberal gene"...i kind of take a PZ meyers view to it....
    20090830.gif

Cinders on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This is how screwed up rail travel in the UK is.

I have booked: Birmingham New Street -> Manchester -> Preston -> Glasgow Central for £31.50. A direct train is £59.00 and only about 30 minutes quicker.

Then I booked: Glasgow Queen Street -> Edinburgh Waverley -> Birmingham New Street for £15.50. A direct train from Glasgow Central is £89.00.

japan on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

I figure it shouldn't be too tough to both feel like body image, especially in the media, is a pretty harsh subject for women while at the same time not advocating unhealthy habits, if that's what you mean.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

This just got sent to me in the office. My knee jerk reaction is who cares?

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

The worst trick fat acceptance advocates have ever pulled is tying FA to feminism, anti-anorexia and other perfectly legitimate causes.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    katherine heigl is absurdly beautiful

people on the internets seem really down on her

what did she do to raise the scorn of the interenets?

She admitted that "Knocked Up" was a pretty sexist movie in a long line of movies about crappy schlubs who somehow wind up with beautiful women, when movies about the reverse happening are nonexistent.

Hollywood doesn't like being called out on its sexism/conservatism.

but but accidentally impregnating a beautiful, accomplished woman is the only way to get a guy like seth rogan to grow up

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

When the government has actual government employees in charge of this, they just end up hiring random ass Indians to do it. So it still ends up being outsourced, but with a much lower budget.

.....?

I'm not kidding. In most of Iraq and the biggest bases in Afghanistan the dining halls are run by KBR. At the base I'm at now, they're run by a few government workers overseeing Indian workers they hired with their government budget cooking food they bought with the same government budget.

If they had just started by contracting to KBR or some other private company from the top instead of giving the responsibility to government workers for them to contract it out, we'd have a higher quality service for the same amount of money.

bull shit

It has a lot to do with private contractors being hired to do the military's work for them.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Galahad wrote: »

yeah....I am sick of the whole "SCIENTISTS FIND GENE FOR X BEHAVIOR"

guys chill out please

Arch on
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cinders wrote: »
    20090830.gif

Hee,

I have a printed copy of this posted at my desk.

Galahad on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Man why would you listen to a podcast about a thing you haven't finished watching?

I mean, sucks that it got spoiled for you but it ain't exactly a shocker.

it was a small preview. I thought maybe Lain was on iTunes so I clicked it and it was too late!

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2010

She admitted that "Knocked Up" was a pretty sexist movie in a long line of movies about crappy schlubs who somehow wind up with beautiful women, when movies about the reverse happening are nonexistent.

Isn't that basically what Bridget Jones is about?

i wouldn't know because i'm a guy

and only two guys worldwide ever saw that movie

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

yeah....I am sick of the whole "SCIENTISTS FIND GENE FOR X BEHAVIOR"

guys chill out please

Beware of The Caveat In Paragraph 19.

japan on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

:?:

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    A young man, who as a teenager file-shared two music tracks, has finally discovered his fate. After rightsholders demanded damages of 600 euros ($828) the case dragged through the legal system. After nearly five years a court in Germany has just published its decision. It ruled that the damages demands of the rightsholders were excessive and instead ordered the defendant to pay 30 euros ($41.00) damages.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    20090830.gif

Hee,

I have a printed copy of this posted at my desk.

this is one of the reasons you are awesome

Arch on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

Isn't that basically what Bridget Jones is about?

i wouldn't know because i'm a guy

and only two guys worldwide ever saw that movie

one was gay

the other went there because he thought he would score some brownie points with his girlfriend and get laid

(he didn't)

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    League

of

Legends

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Heigl's beef with Knocked Up wasn't that it was sexist because shlubs get hot chicks, but that the female characters were portrayed as lame while the male characters were cute and funny.

Which is a STUPID way to view the characters. Meanwhile she continues to play that same trope in that shitty movie where her stuck up liberated character is taught that chauvinists are a-OK in that one film she did with Gerard Butler.

And then she keeps fucking doing ROM COMS.

FUCK YOU HEIGL YOU ARE YOUR OWN WORST ENEMY.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    League

of

Legends

No.

No.

I have to go pick up lunch for the office. If there's League of Legends chat in here when I get back, I SWEAR...

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Kagera wrote: »
    Heigl's beef with Knocked Up wasn't that it was sexist because shlubs get hot chicks, but that the female characters were portrayed as lame while the male characters were cute and funny.

Which is a STUPID way to view the characters. Meanwhile she continues to play that same trope in that shitty movie where her stuck up liberated character is taught that chauvinists are a-OK in that one film she did with Gerard Butler.

What brought this up?

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

What brought this up?

Irond Will asked why people were down on her.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    cass write [strike]me[/strike] us LoL fanfiction involving kog maw and chogath please

Arch on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010

Especially since it basically reinforces her character.

Sheep on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    "I made out with a thirty year old woman before she became a potential politician."

Ooooo. Scandalous.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    gay guys wouldn't watch bridget jones

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Is it really a one night stand if you didn't have sex?

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Is it really a one night stand if you didn't have sex?

No. Not at all.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    cass write [strike]me[/strike] us LoL fanfiction involving kog maw and chogath please

Please do this for Novel Writing Month

A 50, 000 word Lol fanfic

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    "I made out with a thirty year old woman before she became a potential politician."

Ooooo. Scandalous.

I don't really think pointing out how hairy her vagina was was completely necessary

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Now I am pretty excited for Novel Writing Month, at first I was daunted but it seems like a lot of people don't finish anyway and everyone on PA is doing absurd fantasy/sci-fi stuff, so i'm in good company.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010

.....?

bull shit

It has a lot to do with private contractors being hired to do the military's work for them.

I don't even know what you're arguing at this point. First you were trying to imply that hiring private contractors to do things for the government is inherently bad, as you literally made a comparison between having private companies to supply deployed troops and private prisons which are pretty fucking unethical; I think most of us can agree giving a private corporation a financial interest in a high prison population, or even a low one as the case sometimes is, is not a very good idea.

Now you're saying the problem with private contractors is that, according to you, the military is supposed to be doing these things. The fact that you're changing the matter at hand to some random standard out of nowhere (Unless you're trying to argue that there are certain things which should always be done by the government for some reason, which would be kind of silly) aside, this is not the military's job. Last I checked, the purpose of an armed force was to protect the nation's security and interests. That should not include cooking food and fixing plumbing unless completely necessary.

Do you know why we have private companies produce rations for the DOD? Because even if it was possible for soldiers to grow and/or hunt their own food, it isn't a soldier's job to do that. It also isn't a soldier's job to cook that food, or to sew uniforms, or fix pipes, or circuits, or change light-bulbs, or mop floors. Soldiers do all these things to one degree or another for various reasons, usually because it's easier and cheaper to have the nearest joe mop the hall instead of hiring a janitor to do it, but you've got this backwards. These things are not the military's job. The military's job is to deter wars and fight wars.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2010

yes, the successful, beautiful, intelligent, and fairly reasonable woman came across as a shrill and controlling bitch, same with the woman married to paul rudd. I enjoyed the movie overall but found that aspect of it pretty frustrating

Casual Eddy on
This discussion has been closed.