As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xbox Live Update Preview Signups (Beta is live)

12346»

• Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think this dashboard update just makes everything look super generic. There is nothing stylized whatsoever. I liked seeing the isometric view (is that the right term to use?) of all the panels since it let you see what was further down the line.

Now it's boring and flat.

kriegs on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, it makes me feel kinda sick fast scrolling through the Netflix list now. Ugh.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Man what

the new start up splash is really nice

y'all crazy

I didn't say it's not nice

I'd be all for it on their next system

Don't fuck with your start-up screens, man. The 360 start-up was practically an institution at this point.

It'd be like seeing this awesome thing for years on end only to see they pointlessly changed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE_iCgBUacQ

Is it wrong that seeing and hearing the old PS startup makes me all warm and fuzzy inside?

chamberlain on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Man what

the new start up splash is really nice

y'all crazy

I didn't say it's not nice

I'd be all for it on their next system

Don't fuck with your start-up screens, man. The 360 start-up was practically an institution at this point.

It'd be like seeing this awesome thing for years on end only to see they pointlessly changed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE_iCgBUacQ

Is it wrong that seeing and hearing the old PS startup makes me all warm and fuzzy inside?

It'd be wrong if it didn't.

freakish light on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Agreed. That startup was amazing!

urahonky on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm glad I'm not the only one.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Also, I believe navigating with the bumpers scrolls through less panels, although I may be imagining that.

You're not crazy. I think... now I'm doubting myself. It may just move slower.

I think the tabs are closer together now.

I'm still not sold on the new dash, but I kinda felt that way when we originally moved to the NXE, so I'm hoping it will grow on me.

I don't mind the BIG WHITE OVERLAY, that part is alright, quite like it, but like others here I'm not sure about the;

horizontal scrolling for friends and games - kinda makes me wanna throw up.

I liked the isometric view. The new Avatars are growing on me though. And the intro movie is cool, I'm not especially attached to the old one. But my TV doesn't sync quick enough for me to even see it anyway!

Plan on trying the upgraded Party Chat tonight.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So, ESPN3

Do they broadcast MLB or NHL games on it or is it strictly NBA

tofu on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    tofu wrote: »
    So, ESPN3

They do some mlb, I saw it this summer.

Never seen any nhl...

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »
    scrolling through my friends list now gives me a headache. I liked it looking like I was looking down a street. Now everything just jumps out at me and pops back.

I only ever look at my friends with the Guide button, and I actually prefer the cleaner white look of that now

I never used the actual Friend tab on the dashboard

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Also, I believe navigating with the bumpers scrolls through less panels, although I may be imagining that.

You're not crazy. I think... now I'm doubting myself. It may just move slower.

I think the tabs are closer together now.

Well, with all the meta-tags I have I could previously just hit RB once and be right on my main profile, but now that's not the case. It still works better everywhere else though, since I thought it was kinda silly how many it cycled through at once.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So, ESPN3

They broadcast games from every league listed. There aren't any MLB games because the season is over, but you should be able to note any upcoming NHL games in the NHL section.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The only part I don't like is what most people have mentioned - things like the Friends list being arranged horizontally. It looks bizarre and almost dizzying, especially with the Halo Reach theme I have right now.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dashboard themes are kind of pointless now too. You can't really even see them anymore. Actually the themes have been useless since the extinction of blades.

I'm just sad that I don't get to see Sex Bob-Omb rocking out when I boot up my 360 now :-(

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just turned on my 360 for the first time last night and downloaded the new interface.

It's really quite ugly. It feels like they took a time machine into the past to unearth design elements from the early 90s.

Paradiso on
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ESPN doesn't carry NHL games at all. You'll be able to get highlights and analysis but they ditched the entire league when the NHL went on strike a few years ago.

Allforce on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    I only see Russian hockey on there.. didn't the NHL sign an exclusive broadcast agreement with Versus?

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, it kind of depends on ESPN having some rights to the games (or ABC, I guess).

Apparently they have the CFL on there, though. I'm going to use it for the football deadzone from Jan - Aug, just pick a team and follow it one game a week through the season. Considering here's jack all coverage of the CFL, it'll be like a whole other football season with wierd end zones and run-up receivers!

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    CFL games on ESPN means I'll be able to follow Husker players into their pro career!

BA DUM TISH

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Does anybody else use WMC on their 360? Is it me or does it run like total shit since the update?

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I noticed that under storage devices there is an option to clear cache now, if thats new. What happens if i do that? Will bad things happen?

And no, im not a fan of not seeing what menus are available when trying to scroll vertically. Taking that away seems kind of pointless.

Finally, since the update none of my discs have loaded upon start-up, even though the settings are the same. Is this happening to everyone?

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Clear Cache is just a front facing option for the old code to clear it. It will just clear all downloaded title updates and any cached files games have put on the drive, it's near impossible for it to ever hurt anything.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So with each interface update, it gets worse? I liked the original GUI. Clean and it worked.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    VeeVee Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ew I don't like it. It's ugly.

I really don't like the white backgrounds. I like the grey color they used to be. Also the scrolling sucks now

Vee on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So with each interface update, it gets worse? I liked the original GUI. Clean and it worked.
    The blades were anything but clean. They also made it nigh impossible to tell what menu item you'd be highlighting in some places.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Makershot wrote: »
    So, ESPN3

They broadcast games from every league listed. There aren't any MLB games because the season is over, but you should be able to note any upcoming NHL games in the NHL section.

So even though it says NHL they won't be broadcasting games because none are listed?

tofu on
  • Options
    ShadowoftheKatamariShadowoftheKatamari Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They didn't even bother to fix the biggest issue with the old dashboard: the fact that it takes 40 seconds to show the contents of your hard drive, either when you first start up, or right after you exit a game or application. Why the hell does it still do that? (Or is this a problem that only I've been having for some reason?)

Also, another thing they made worse, was you used to be able to go straight into Netflix from the pop-up menu. Just go to "Video Marketplace" and then select "Netflix." Now, when you select "Video Marketplace" from the pop-up menu, it just takes you to the Video Marketpalce tab on the dashboard, which takes longer. Fun.

But other than those things, I don't know, it kind of looks nice I guess.

ShadowoftheKatamari on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Makershot wrote: »
    So, ESPN3

So even though it says NHL they won't be broadcasting games because none are listed?

ESPN does not have the national TV contract. They used to have it, but decided not to renew it a few years ago. So, nationally televised games are on Versus and NBC. So, no NHL games on ESPN3. Hell, they barely mention the NHL at all on Sportscenter.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Witchsight wrote: »
    I noticed that under storage devices there is an option to clear cache now, if thats new. What happens if i do that? Will bad things happen?

And no, im not a fan of not seeing what menus are available when trying to scroll vertically. Taking that away seems kind of pointless.

Finally, since the update none of my discs have loaded upon start-up, even though the settings are the same. Is this happening to everyone?

They broke it for everybody. I guess every single developer and tester doesn't actually use their xbox for games.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/02/xbox-360-start-disc-boot-up-setting-to-be-fixed-in-future-upda/

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Everyday, the "customize avatar" section makes me load some new clothes (watch the clothing cat for a few seconds).... and everytime I'm disappointed that it won't let me switch to my awesome Pinball FX2 t-shirt avatar award.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Vee wrote: »

I really don't like the white backgrounds. I like the grey color they used to be. Also the scrolling sucks now

Is there a way to change this?

It's bright, so very bright, and not..I don't like it.

Urrrrrrrgh..

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My only problem with the new dashboard is that scrolling between the windows gives an odd effect that makes it difficult to concentrate on any given one. There's a weird 'blur' effect, and it bothers me.

Other than that, it doesn't even seem that different.

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't like the look of the new dashboard. It feels like a step back; like this should have been the version before the previous one.
    It looks unfinished, if that makes any sense. It's ugly.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Vee wrote: »

Is there a way to change this?

yeah the all white is killing me. I just got eye surgery so its even more intense then it would be.

The first dashboard let you customize colors I think or are least designs.

It's bright, so very bright, and not..I don't like it.

Urrrrrrrgh..

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowoftheKatamariShadowoftheKatamari Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Being able to customize the window color should have occurred to them immediately before they considered picking one for us (twice).

ShadowoftheKatamari on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i remember the days when we could turn our guide to any hideous shade we wanted! *shakes fist*

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Or when the color matched your theme. And the guide didn't block fucking everything when you brought it up.

Ahh, the good old days.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Damn, I'd totally forgotten about the old customisation.

And the old Live Vision Cam dashboard effects, for that matter.

The new dash sucks.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    C'mon guys. It's gotta be family friendly for the 4 people that bought Kinect.

urahonky on