As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallout] Super Mutants and Deathclaws and Geckos OH MY

• Options
    DraperDraper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    I want to drive with a guy or two to the Mojave desert with someone bringing a replica ranger armor suit and then just film the guy wearing it and walking around and make like a fan film out of it with my T2i. I bet someone somewhere is going to make a real set of ranger armor soon enough.

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    People keep talking about vehicles, but the engine can't really handle it. Using the speed mod to make it so that walking is the speed that running defaults to, you can already see the cells straining to load with your movement

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Flatlanders are so cute.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    DraperDraper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Made a little photo-fanfic kind of thing on my blog just for fun. A journal entry of a wanderer, day in the life sort of thing. Anyone who's interested, check it out: http://fathom216.blogspot.com/

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Finished my Speech/Repair/Guns playthrough. Sided with House the whole way.

Next up is Melee/Unarmed/Stealth. No more talking. Not sure if I should go independent or side with NCR or with Legion.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Derrick wrote: »
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Wasn't someone looking for Remnant Armor?

If so, there is some on a dead prospector, along with his dead T-51b power armor wearing girlfriend. They're dead because they thought they could kill 16 Deathclaws and their 2 Mother Deathclaws. Man were they wrong.

Anyway, the location is really odd. Due East of Ranger Station Echo, across lake mead. Venture at your own risk.

Hmm well I went to the plateau and one shotted all the deathclaws but can't find the people you're talking about?

[edit] Okay I looked up a video and the people just aren't there. But a laser gun is where they should be, so... Looks like Obsidian did their normal thing again and it's bugged.

That was a strange spot too. It almost looked like something else would be there, but nope. Just some sweet gear.

Also, it provides easy kills towards the Abomination Perk. Death Claws will only come so close to the water. When they get to close, just back into the water. It's like they can't see you.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    OdjnOdjn Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Like how lakelurks can't actually attack you in the water, which wasn't much of a relief when one gave me a heart attack.

Odjn on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Derrick wrote: »
    Wasn't someone looking for Remnant Armor?

If so, there is some on a dead prospector, along with his dead T-51b power armor wearing girlfriend. They're dead because they thought they could kill 16 Deathclaws and their 2 Mother Deathclaws. Man were they wrong.

Anyway, the location is really odd. Due East of Ranger Station Echo, across lake mead. Venture at your own risk.

Hmm well I went to the plateau and one shotted all the deathclaws but can't find the people you're talking about?

[edit] Okay I looked up a video and the people just aren't there. But a laser gun is where they should be, so... Looks like Obsidian did their normal thing again and it's bugged.

That was a strange spot too. It almost looked like something else would be there, but nope. Just some sweet gear.

Also, it provides easy kills towards the Abomination Perk. Death Claws will only come so close to the water. When they get to close, just back into the water. It's like they can't see you.

Maybe they're different depending on whether Wild Wasteland is on or not?

Speaking of, in my playthrough, I only got Wild Wasteland stuff a total of four times. One time was during
    The big final fight at Hoover Dam
    but I have no idea why or what was so "wacky" about it.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Hmm... ever since Vault 22 there's been intermittent "slow motion" periods where everyone moves like they're trying to run through water or something. And it's even effecting things like reloading or bringing up the pipboy, which normally comes up so so fast I can barely even see the animation, is occasionally taking almost 2 seconds.

Anyone have any idea how to fix it?

That happened to me too. Rebooting the 360 gets it to act right for a good hour or so.
    I grew up in the California Mojave. If I had to describe it, I would say its generally flat with mountains interspersed so as to define different largish valleys, and the occasional mountain or hill rising out in between.

Which is basically why the area is called the Basin and Range Province. On a good day with a bit of elevation you can see maybe fifty miles...

You forgot the Joshua trees and jumping cacti. D:

I do not miss the mojave.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think I'm going to start calling my service rifle "Jessie". Feeling a bit goddamn waxing nostalgic over it. Must have killed a thousand geckos with that rifle. Never jammed on me once until today. Was killing a powder ganger when she just gave up the ghost and I ended up having to punch his face in with the rifle but.
    Ah, I'd trade in every weapon in my possession for just one more mission with that shitty old rifle... (or I'd repair it I guess. :P)

On a more serious note the weapon progression, at least with small guns is SPOT ON fallout. As is the fact that you can randomly run into supermutans at level 5 and get your ass handed to you. And that certain enemies are just not worth it to kill.

CuddlyCuteKitten on
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow - Felicia, SPFT2:T
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Behemoth wrote: »
    I really think the Mojave should have been more desert-y, like the dry lakes. Those actually look really good.

And I thought it would be more flat, but that's probably an engine restriction too.

You thought wrong, both times. This place is anything but flat, and doesn't resemble a dry lake bed. Except for Lake Mead, which - at this rate - will be exactly that in 3-5 months. Vegas and the surrounding area is brown and rocky. Especially as you head north. Or west. (Or east or south.)
    800px-Mojave_Desert.jpg

403px-Mojave_Kelso.jpg

JT17M.jpg

:?

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Doctor FinkDoctor Fink Bishounen Chewbacca Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think I'm going to start calling my service rifle "Jessie". Feeling a bit goddamn waxing nostalgic over it. Must have killed a thousand geckos with that rifle. Never jammed on me once until today. Was killing a powder ganger when she just gave up the ghost and I ended up having to punch his face in with the rifle but.
    Ah, I'd trade in every weapon in my possession for just one more mission with that shitty old rifle... (or I'd repair it I guess. :P)

I'm totally going to do a Zaeed run now.

Doctor Fink on
    PSN: Doctor_Fink / Xbox Live:LieutenantDef / Steam: Doctor Fink
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My gun for the longest time was my varmint rifle... with all the mods. It was lovely.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I hit the level cap and took explorer with my last perk. I feel kinda bad about that in retrospect because i had already discovered about 2/3rds of locations. I haven't even talked to Benny yet. This game has sooooooo much to do.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm trying to get Arcade Gannon's quest,
    Is there a minimum level for it? I've already chosen a side (Caesar) and I've gotten a bunch of his special dialogue (at the Silver Rush, the crashed Vertibird, etc) but I'm only level 14. Do I have to do more quests before I can get that sweet, sweet Remnant Power Armor?

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    mwoodymwoody Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Maybe they're different depending on whether Wild Wasteland is on or not?

Speaking of, in my playthrough, I only got Wild Wasteland stuff a total of four times. One time was during
    The big final fight at Hoover Dam
    but I have no idea why or what was so "wacky" about it.
    I _think_ it had to do with the NCR radio. Some guy saying "game over man! Game over!" or something.

But yeah, Wild Wasteland ended up being sort of a bust. There were very few silly things, and those that were there weren't that silly and would have been infinitely better without a little "LOOK THERE'S SILLY STUFF" icon popping up. They should have left the silly stuff in and not given the player the choice.

EDIT: the vault wiki has a partial list of the wild wasteland stuff.

mwoody on
    Steam: mwoody450
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Quickly, mod it so that Wild Wasteland is automatically on always.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I can't get Old School Ghoul to trigger. I think I may learned Ranger Takedown a long time ago, when I first started out. However, there was an option to convince Ranger Andy he is still a good dude, and he taught me it again. Raul won't talk about him though, so the quest won't trigger. I've tried waiting around for a few hours. Do you have to wait so many days?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Y'know, I just had a realization while I was contemplating my next move for vendor decrapification.

You know what we've been missing from Fallout ever since the old games?

DWARVES.

Where've all the dwarves gone? I know they weren't exactly abundent in number, but they were there as yet anothre reminder of what weird shit being born in a post-nuclear wasteland can do to you. But in FO3 and New Vegas? Not a single one.

EDIT: Really? Despite the fact that in many cases the games referred to them as, y'know, dwarves?

They were Dwarves as in Little People.

not dwarves as in bad scottish accents and a fondness for ale and axes.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    dj.subversivedj.subversive Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I can't get Old School Ghoul to trigger. I think I may learned Ranger Takedown a long time ago, when I first started out. However, there was an option to convince Ranger Andy he is still a good dude, and he taught me it again. Raul won't talk about him though, so the quest won't trigger. I've tried waiting around for a few hours. Do you have to wait so many days?

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Raul_Tejada
    under "Bugs":
    In order to complete his side quest and get his vaquero outfit you have to recruit him as a companion before you meet Ranger Andy for the first time or you will never be able to complete his side quest, or get the new outfit, or bonus perk. Speaking to Loyal in the Nellis Air Force Base hangar may trigger Raul to talk.

Seems like Ranger Andy is just a fountain of script-breaking.

dj.subversive on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Make sure you play on Hardcore and get every one of your companions killed.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Make sure you play on Hardcore and get every one of your companions killed.

After massacring Forlorn Hope last night with a service rifle, I can get behind this.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010

under "Bugs":
    In order to complete his side quest and get his vaquero outfit you have to recruit him as a companion before you meet Ranger Andy for the first time or you will never be able to complete his side quest, or get the new outfit, or bonus perk. Speaking to Loyal in the Nellis Air Force Base hangar may trigger Raul to talk.

I will try talking to Loyal (i haven't been to Nellis yet) and try talking to Sterling. If that doesn't work, I will use Raul when I do a new character.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Trying to figure out what to do with the Brotherhood.

I am an energy weapons and science guy, but do everything pretty well now. I am trying to get as positive of an ending as I can, particularly for the NCR.
    Consequently, I imagine the BoS could be a problem.
    Should I let the new guy take over? What will he do?

Should I complete the quests for the old guy?
    Or should they all die? If I complete the quests and THEN kill them all, does it make it seem like they all just died anyway?

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Machismo wrote: »
    Trying to figure out what to do with the Brotherhood.

I am an energy weapons and science guy, but do everything pretty well now. I am trying to get as positive of an ending as I can, particularly for the NCR.
    Consequently, I imagine the BoS could be a problem.
    Should I let the new guy take over? What will he do?

Should I complete the quests for the old guy?
    Or should they all die? If I complete the quests and THEN kill them all, does it make it seem like they all just died anyway?

I've heard that you can get different groups to be allies, but I haven't done much in the way of the story stuff. I just took care of Benny, and I am level 17.

Here are all of the quests SPOILERS of course.
    New Vegas Quests

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

under "Bugs":

I will try talking to Loyal (i haven't been to Nellis yet) and try talking to Sterling. If that doesn't work, I will use Raul when I do a new character.

Yeah that quest is buggy as hell to get it to start. I had to use the console to get it going.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    stfuadstfuad Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »
    ...This game has sooooooo much to do.

I can't really agree here. it seems like it at first but it's basicslly, main quest and companion quests, maybe a few side quests. I've played through several times and the game feels short. And now that I know there are multiple quest items in the same area I just grab stuff all at once. Vault 22 is a good example of this, keely, data, hepa filters and mantis eggs.

Also about how many locations there are. outside of the main quest locations most places are... well there isn't jack there. Maybe a skill book or some ammo. nothing that makes you say, "that's awesome".

stfuad on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Funny Veronica Spoiler

I did all of Veronica's quests, let her ultimately decided that she was going to continue to support them.

I did all the Brotherhood Quests, and they loved me.

House wanted me to blow the place up. So I did.

It bugged Veronica out when it happened. Now she apparently hates me, but there's nothing scripted for her to do except aggro and start to talk to me. There's no new conversation about it, so I end the conversation and it throws her into an endless loop of automatically talking to me while she has her weapon armed and scowling at me.

Only thing I could do was tell her to go back to the Lucky 38. Which she did, but if I ever ask her to travel with me, she starts the infinite loop aggro talking thing.

Also, The Thorn
    Red Lucy gets all hot and bothered by me bringing her Deathclaw eggs. It was funny and sad all at the same time.

Also, also, why are there no dialogues for sex? All I ever get is a black screen.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    kowikowi Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    LockeCole wrote: »

under "Bugs":

Yeah that quest is buggy as hell to get it to start. I had to use the console to get it going.

It is very buggy. It took me a couple of hours to get started.

kowi on
    PSN: kowi - WiiU: kowi - XBL: KoWi - twitch.tv/kowi profile.png - "Yes, Kowi is the King of All" - smilie.png Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/08/falout-new-vegas-ships-5-million-more-patches-incoming/
    Bethesda has announced that the Fallout: New Vegas launch garnered "record sales" last month. While the company didn't disclose precisely what those sales were, it did note that 5 million units were shipped to retailers worldwide. Combined with "a heavy volume" of digital downloads, the game has generated over $300 million in sales.

Meanwhile, war keeps changing as the Bethesda Blog has posted an update on the upcoming updates for Fallout: New Vegas. The company notes that it has "come up with solutions" for the Xbox 360 save issues (amongst other issues) and that "a comprehensive patch" for the PS3, Xbox and PC versions of the game is currently in the final testing and certification phase. Further details should arrive "in the coming weeks."

Furthermore, a patch should be issued for the PC version within the next week. Said patch should correct some save corruption issues and problems with companions. It will also improve performance for users with NVIDIA graphics cards and clear up some (presumably chaotic) Havok problems.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    captaink wrote: »
    http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/08/falout-new-vegas-ships-5-million-more-patches-incoming/
    Bethesda has announced that the Fallout: New Vegas launch garnered "record sales" last month. While the company didn't disclose precisely what those sales were, it did note that 5 million units were shipped to retailers worldwide. Combined with "a heavy volume" of digital downloads, the game has generated over $300 million in sales.

Meanwhile, war keeps changing as the Bethesda Blog has posted an update on the upcoming updates for Fallout: New Vegas. The company notes that it has "come up with solutions" for the Xbox 360 save issues (amongst other issues) and that "a comprehensive patch" for the PS3, Xbox and PC versions of the game is currently in the final testing and certification phase. Further details should arrive "in the coming weeks."

Furthermore, a patch should be issued for the PC version within the next week. Said patch should correct some save corruption issues and problems with companions. It will also improve performance for users with NVIDIA graphics cards and clear up some (presumably chaotic) Havok problems.

Edit - Hurry Up!

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    captaink wrote: »

Edit - Hurry Up!

So no mention of scripting problems? Unfortunate. It seems like quest problems are the biggest issue. Unless Havok is what is causing the CTDs, but I doubt that.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So talking to Sterling got Raul to talk about his past. I guess this is moot, since I can't get anything to trigger with Andy, since I met him before I picked up Raul. I think you have to talk to the three badass old dudes to complete the quest and get Raul to put his sombrero on.

I guess I could go back to Boone. Cass hates me for some reason (I think she might dislike kleptomaniacs, even if there are nice people), what'shername Brotherhood melee girl doesn't interest me, I don't know about Lily, hmm.

My character is sort of a cowboy without a robohorse, so I have been looking forward to rolling with Raul for weeks. Dammit.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Apparently the dialogue that trigger's Ranger Andy's part of Raul's quest is the speech challenge, which you can trigger before you ever meet Raul, breaking the quest.

There's a mod that fixes it: http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=36357

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    dj.subversivedj.subversive Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So talking to Sterling got Raul to talk about his past. I guess this is moot, since I can't get anything to trigger with Andy, since I met him before I picked up Raul. I think you have to talk to the three badass old dudes to complete the quest and get Raul to put his sombrero on.

I guess I could go back to Boone. Cass hates me for some reason (I think she might dislike kleptomaniacs, even if there are nice people), what'shername Brotherhood melee girl doesn't interest me, I don't know about Lily, hmm.

My character is sort of a cowboy without a robohorse, so I have been looking forward to rolling with Raul for weeks. Dammit.

Lily seems like an awesome sneaky-gunner companion to cover your back (she seems to hit pretty hard with that sword, and can carry a lot o' gear, plus she's got a silenced assault rifle as her default ranged weapon), but I couldn't get over that damn sneak line being repeated CONSTANTLY. see most of my other posts in this thread. :)

Personally, I like Raul too, so I'm trying to do everything I can to not break his quest this time.

Oh! I've been wondering: is there a way to get Raul and keep Black Mountain Radio on the air? I've
    busted him out first and had to fight Tabitha. I've found and repaired Rhonda and gotten a peaceful resolution to Crazy, Crazy, Crazy
    (Tabitha and Rhonda's adventures become a series of children's tales!)
    , and as I was looting the place, the station stayed on for a while, but died out when I entered a building (I think it was Tabitha's room). On the plus side, going back there later for the Brotherhood, I was greeted by friendly super mutants and Neil hanging out in the shanty town, who thanked me and told me he was able to send a few more super mutants out to Jacobstown.

I just really get a kick out of "True-Eyes Seeing Time" every time it happens.

dj.subversive on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Apparently the dialogue that trigger's Ranger Andy's part of Raul's quest is the speech challenge, which you can trigger before you ever meet Raul, breaking the quest.

There's a mod that fixes it: http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=36357

I'm playing on ps3.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    CuntyCunty Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So can you have more than one companion at a time?

Cunty on
    gameintownk.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Cunty wrote: »
    So can you have more than one companion at a time?

you can have one human and one non-humanoid companion.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You know, I think of all the times I've driven into and out of Vegas, and all I see is mountains in every direction. But I guess it's easy to forget how much flat, empty land there is between the mountains on each side. Okay, the Mojave Wasteland is flat and barren. In between the parts that are mountainous (hilly). Also Red Rock Canyon is a totally sweet place.

:P

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Kind of bummed, my Veronica quest is bugged. She and McNamara just stand blankly at each other, and I can't finish the quest in any of the 3 ways it seems. I consoled myself by taking Boone on a field trip to the Fort instead. He seemed to have fun!

I also started an unarmed/melee complete psychopath run. Slaughtered half of Goodspring without anyone knowing (apparently, the town can be alerted if the bighorns see you killing people. Go figure.), then sided with the Powder Gangers who finished the rest of them up. After it was done, Joe Cobb and the remaining gang were chilling in the bar, when they mysteriously started losing limbs. Weirdest thing!

Sadly, level 4 is a bit away, and all this potential food is going to waste.....

Elderlycrawfish on