DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I has bubble wrap.

Me happy. :3

Daxon on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The only reason I'm in favour of tips is because tipping is essential in a way to keeping restaurants like mine afloat. Get rid of tipping and servers, as well as any other job there such as busser, host, bartender, and in some places kitchen staff which receive a percentage of the tips are going to require pay increases. To facilitate this, price of meals increases.

Now you're probably thinking, what's the big deal, the guest is already paying the difference with their tip, right? Well yeah, sure, sometimes they are but tips are up to the guest to decide so that really depends on how the guest values his/her dining experience and his/her opinion of their server, but when you start to raises prices you lose business. Would anyone go to the Olive Garden if a steak dinner cost you $35?

And say what you will about the correlation between server performance and actual tip is, there are places where servers will bust their ass because one misstep with a table and they lose a good tip or the shot at a return guest. You want to create regulars, you want them to come back and you want them to request you and build up a report, but that drive starts to weaken when you remove that one big incentive.

Excellent post! Here is a tip of $100 internet dollars!

James on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fuck you guys, there were only 3 Indiana Jones movies, Henry and Marcus are still alive, riding off into the sunset with Sallah, and laughing about how Indie was the dog's name.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Daxon wrote: »
    I has bubble wrap.

Envious :x

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    James wrote: »
    The only reason I'm in favour of tips is because tipping is essential in a way to keeping restaurants like mine afloat. Get rid of tipping and servers, as well as any other job there such as busser, host, bartender, and in some places kitchen staff which receive a percentage of the tips are going to require pay increases. To facilitate this, price of meals increases.

Now you're probably thinking, what's the big deal, the guest is already paying the difference with their tip, right? Well yeah, sure, sometimes they are but tips are up to the guest to decide so that really depends on how the guest values his/her dining experience and his/her opinion of their server, but when you start to raises prices you lose business. Would anyone go to the Olive Garden if a steak dinner cost you $35?

And say what you will about the correlation between server performance and actual tip is, there are places where servers will bust their ass because one misstep with a table and they lose a good tip or the shot at a return guest. You want to create regulars, you want them to come back and you want them to request you and build up a report, but that drive starts to weaken when you remove that one big incentive.

Excellent post! Here is a tip of $100 internet dollars!

Fluffy only takes tips in NetBeanz and Flooz.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    By the way: I love you, [chat]. I was expecting to get some bullshit for ranting about this, but I had to vent anyway. Thanks for not being all sarcastic and shitty at a Froth.

Why would you get bullshit for being a victim of what I see to be a broken system of wage payment?

Because the internet is the place where people come to anonymously cut off their nose to spite their face.

Mostly because people get pretty nasty on the intarwebs. Also because I can be kind of a douch around here. And lastly because I just today realized I need to start medicating again, and I sort of expected somebody to say "life is hard. nobody understands."

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The UK Office is heartbreaking no matter how many times you watch it.

God I love Ricky Gervais so much it hurts me.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Fuck you guys, there were only 3 Indiana Jones movies, Henry and Marcus are still alive, riding off into the sunset with Sallah, and laughing about how Indie was the dog's name.

They've been doing that for 72 years.

They must be tired.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I has bubble wrap.

You're like a Scandinavian kitten playing in a sheet of wax paper, rolling around on the floor all content-like with your golden sun and your bubble poppin

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010

They must be tired.

JONESES DON'T GET TIRED THEY DRANK FROM THE CUP OF CHRIST

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tooooo much minecraft. Ughhhhhhhhhhh

Sleepy.

Still haven't finished the damn foundation of my project. Bah.

Progress though. Progresssssss.

Galahad on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

They must be tired.

i was always scared of that scene as a kid, when the nazi dude drinks from the wrong cup

James on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I has bubble wrap.

You're like a Scandinavian kitten playing in a sheet of wax paper, rolling around on the floor all content-like with your golden sun and your bubble poppin

I am skipping lectures today purely so I can do this all day.

I am extremely content now.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

They must be tired.

i was always scared of that scene as a kid, when the nazi dude drinks from the wrong cup

He had chosen... poorly.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010

They must be tired.

I watched it again recently, and I only just realised the German lady probably deliberately chose the wrong cup so as to get him out of the way.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I was born the day after my mom saw Last Crusade in theaters

Years later when I watched the film for the first time I recognized the score

It is my favourite film of all time

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gettin' Grails is easy.

Galahad on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Canada's pretty great

our dollars are called Loonies

our two-dollars are called Toonies

we are just a delightful people

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have Green Day's "I Walk Alone" stuck in my head - no idea why. More annoyingly, I keep changing the lyrics. Most recent variation:

I am an angry fish
    An angry little fish who is a fish

I mean, WHAT.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If all places did that, yes.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Canada's pretty great

our dollars are called Loonies

our two-dollars are called Toonies

we are just a delightful people

We have the Queen on our money!

She was attractive like a hundred years ago.

America is still catching up with us in that regard.

James on
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Olive Garden charges a mandatory gratuity

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just won a free ipod touch

of course it refuses to acknowledge my wireless

tech-lology

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Usually, if I'm really disappointed in my service, I'll still tip, but it'll be ridiculously small, and although I almost always put tips on my card, in those case I prefer to use change, so I'm like, enjoy your 6 pennies and a nickel, try not to be so awful at your job next time. I remember I went to this sports bar place one night with some friends, and they were packed, but it was literally over a half an hour between the time we asked for our check and got them, and it's not like our server ever stopped by and just forgot to bring them or anything, we were just sitting there waiting. I think my food and whatnot was like, 11.94 and I tipped 6 cents to round it to the dollar.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I am totally for people paying the actual cost of things directly rather than doing so through taxes/subsidizes. I would kill farm subsidies, oil subsidies, and the mileage exemption. That $35 Olive Garden steak should be $200 under the way its currently produced.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Eddy wrote: »
    Just won a free ipod touch

of course it refuses to acknowledge my wireless

tech-lology

Sell it for monies!

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    But it's so beautiful, so clean

so virgin

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Usually, if I'm really disappointed in my service, I'll still tip, but it'll be ridiculously small, and although I almost always put tips on my card, in those case I prefer to use change, so I'm like, enjoy your 6 pennies and a nickel, try not to be so awful at your job next time. I remember I went to this sports bar place one night with some friends, and they were packed, but it was literally over a half an hour between the time we asked for our check and got them, and it's not like our server ever stopped by and just forgot to bring them or anything, we were just sitting there waiting. I think my food and whatnot was like, 11.94 and I tipped 6 cents to round it to the dollar.

I once left a frowny face in pennies.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

be a man and just leave nothing, sheesh

make a statement with your tipping. six cents is just passive aggressive. nothing is like 'fuck you'

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    OH MY GOD I FINALLY GOT LOL WORKING

I HAD TO RESTART AFTER UPDATING MY DRIVERS

I HAVEN'T PLAYED IN LIKE THREE WEEKS BECAUSE OF THIS

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• Options
    edited November 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »

make a statement with your tipping. six cents is just passive aggressive. nothing is like 'fuck you'

As someone who worked in the food industry, if you want to make a 'fuck you' with your tip, leave a very small amount of change (preferably a penny) because the server can rationalize no tip as 'oh they just forgot'

a penny is like 'no I didn't forget and FUCK YOU'

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

I once left a frowny face in pennies.

This is seriously the best thing I've ever heard. I'm going to start carrying enough pennies to do this just in case.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I am totally for people paying the actual cost of things directly rather than doing so through taxes/subsidizes. I would kill farm subsidies, oil subsidies, and the mileage exemption. That $35 Olive Garden steak should be $200 under the way its currently produced.

Yes, because that is the world I'm sure we all wish to live in, a world where a meal at a franchise pseudo-Italian restaurant costs as much as a high-end blu-ray player.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »

As someone who worked in the food industry, if you want to make a 'fuck you' with your tip, leave a very small amount of change (preferably a penny) because the server can rationalize no tip as 'oh they just forgot'

a penny is like 'no I didn't forget and FUCK YOU'

I guess a penny is a little worse than nothing yeah

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    young-queen-elizabeth-ii.jpg

James on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    oh hey if we're killing subsidies

why not kill housing subsidies and child care subsidies while we're at it! less taxes, small government, blah blah blah

James on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Why would you want to say fuck you to a server?

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    what i want is an option to flip off the cooks

after they have given me my food

they're all lazy sons of bitches around here

extremely talented. but lazy.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have Green Day's "I Walk Alone" stuck in my head - no idea why. More annoyingly, I keep changing the lyrics. Most recent variation:

I am an angry fish
    An angry little fish who is a fish

I mean, WHAT.

Isn't that song called Boulevard of Broken Dreams?

Also this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/107712/Boulevard%20of%20Broken%20Machines%20%28feat.%20Fred%29.mp3

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Why would you want to say fuck you to a server?

Server was awful to me and my brother. Brought us the wrong drinks repeatedly, rolled her eyes when we asked for them to be exchanged, put ice in no-ice drinks, refused to replace them, got our orders wrong, food was cold, we asked her to replace them and we saw her talking outside on her cellphone while we waited for our new meals.

So she got a frowny face in pennies.

This discussion has been closed.