As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Offensive Game Ads And You

123457»

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    @KalTorak: True enough. Children want what they can't have. But they're likely to be more receptive to "No, you can't have that" if the reasoning is given by a calm parent than a mob of sensationalist people.

I'm under no illusions that children can be 100% protected from "bad" things. I just think there are much better ways for people to go about the situation that are less inflammatory and more effective.

I agree completely. I think parents who feel the limits of their control over their kids will often overcompensate by taking the inflammatory measures we're talking about.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Gamefly has a pretty offensive ad concerning why we play games; Oneupmanship apparently. Cause I want to find out whose a man and whose a whiny little bitch...right gamefly?

mrt144 on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »
    Gamefly has a pretty offensive ad concerning why we play games; Oneupmanship apparently. Cause I want to find out whose a man and whose a whiny little bitch...right gamefly?
    Well, to be fair, if you listen to gamers talking online in your average FPS, a lot of them agree.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited December 2010
    Modern Man wrote: »
    Well, to be fair, if you listen to gamers talking online in your average FPS, a lot of them agree.

Yeah, true enough but I find the ad to be walking on the line between reflection of the culture and an endorsement of the culture, which I don't appreciate.

It's like those awful Daikatana ads where one Mr. Romero was gonna make me his bitch.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Almost anything will offend somebody.

/thread?

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    There's one ad I've heard about for a PC game called Battlecruiser 3000. A supermodel is holding the Battlecruiser box between her legs and the caption reads, "She really wants it."

emnmnme on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Doc wrote: »
    I'm quite a bit more concerned about the UK banning a piece of media because 8 people complained than I am about the mildly violent content.

US can top that.

Rakolta boycott

In 1989, Terry Rakolta, a conservative homemaker from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, led a boycott[5] against Married... with Children after viewing the episode Her Cups Runneth Over – 0306.[6] Offended by the images of an old man wearing a woman's garter and stockings, the scene where Steve touches the panties of a mannequin dressed in S&M gear, a homosexual man wearing a tiara on his head (and Al's line "...and they wonder why we call them 'queens'"), and a half-nude woman who takes off her bra in front of Al (and is shown with her arms covering her bare chest in the next shot), Rakolta began a letter-writing campaign to advertisers, demanding they boycott the show.

After advertisers began dropping their support for the show and while Rakolta made several appearances on television talk shows demanding the show's cancellation, Fox executives refused to air the episode titled I'll See You In Court – 0310.[7] This episode would become known as the "Lost Episode" and was aired on Fox on June 18, 2002, with some parts cut. The episode was packaged with the rest of the third season in the January 2005 DVD release (and in the first volume of the Married...With Children Most Outrageous episode DVD set) with the parts cut from syndication restored.

Despite the boycott, the ratings for Married... with Children actually increased due to rising interest in the show caused by Rakolta's crusade to have the show cancelled (a non-Internet example of the Streisand effect). The increased number of viewers brought most of the advertisers back, and it kept the show on the air until 1997.

Rakolta has been referenced twice on the show: Rock and Roll Girl – 0414,[8] when a newscaster mentioned the city Bloomfield Hills, and No Pot To Pease In – 0909,[9] when a television show was made about the Bundy family and then was canceled because (according to Marcy) "some woman in Michigan didn't like it".

In a bit of an offshoot of this, don't people realize that getting angry about things and protesting them only makes them more popular? If you protest the crap out of something that you hate and it gets any kind of news coverage, that only means that more people are going to find out about it and have a chance to see it/purchase it.

It amazes me that people have completely missed this idea after years and years of protests about various things.

Examples include: Eminem's (almost) entire career, Harry Potter, violent and/or edgy videogames such as GTA and Mortal Kombat, etc.

It's pretty simple...if you want something to go away and you really dislike it, you should ignore it as much as you possibly can.

This was before the internet. And she came very, very close to pulling Married with Children off the air entirely.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Link?

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Link?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVT2sh7SzhM

mrt144 on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, I wouldn't call that ad offensive, but it's definitely not a good representation of why "gaming is good". It seems to highlight the most bro-y, obnoxious aspects of the hobby.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, I wouldn't call that ad offensive, but it's definitely not a good representation of why "gaming is good". It seems to highlight the most bro-y, obnoxious aspects of the hobby.

Its somewhat offensive because of the pigeon holing and the appeal to asshattery.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Keeping it away from your kid is tough though too, b/c you might get a similar effect in that the kid wants it because it's forbidden.

Yes well this is where the skill in parenting comes in - you can forbid something, and explain why this is a reasonable thing to do. Much of the appeal of the forbidden fruit stems from the appeal of the unknown.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Link?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVT2sh7SzhM

I don't see how anyone could be even mildly offended by this.

The whole "whiny bitch" thing was 4-5 seconds of a 30 second commercial. Most of the ad was talking about the Gamefly service itself and how games are awesome because we get to be all kinds of awesome characters in the comfort of our own homes.

That's pretty much exactly why I play games, strangely enough.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think XBL conduct is a pretty good measure of someone's character - if someone wins and loses graciously behind the mask of anonymity, then they're probably a good person.

Robman on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Robman wrote: »
    I think XBL conduct is a pretty good measure of someone's character - if someone wins and loses graciously behind the mask of anonymity, then they're probably a good person.

So if I just unplug my headset, everybody's a nice guy! :wink:

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Samir Duran DuranSamir Duran Duran Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Bursar wrote: »
    Robman wrote: »

So if I just unplug my headset, everybody's a nice guy! :wink:

Yeah but then you get kicked out of L4D lobbies, which is dumb.

Samir Duran Duran on
    Ani121OD.pngSpr_3e_121.gifAni121OD.png
  • Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    There's one ad I've heard about for a PC game called Battlecruiser 3000. A supermodel is holding the Battlecruiser box between her legs and the caption reads, "She really wants it."
    I do believe this is the one you mean
    NSFW
    http://theodor.lauppert.ws/games/girls.htm, scroll to the bottom. I thought I'd kept the magazine with that ad, it appears I've thrown it out dammit. You can't tell in that picture, but the vertical shaft on the stool has a screw thread, just in case anyone wasn't getting the joke presumably.

Evermourn on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Evermourn wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I do believe this is the one you mean
    NSFW
    http://theodor.lauppert.ws/games/girls.htm, scroll to the bottom. I thought I'd kept the magazine with that ad, it appears I've thrown it out dammit. You can't tell in that picture, but the vertical shaft on the stool has a screw thread, just in case anyone wasn't getting the joke presumably.

Yeah...that one is pretty bad.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    myownsummermyownsummer Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ha! Now that's marketing!

I'm a jerk by nature, so when somebody tells me to do something I always feel inclined to do the opposite. Especially with anti-tobacco or anti-drinking ads (you just can't make that hip!).

I think I'll go out and buy one of every product in this thread that offended people (starting with PlayStation Move, Hitman, and everything Sega put out on the Saturn).

myownsummer on
    rosievp6.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    isnt that a shadow?

mrt144 on