As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Everybody post in the new [STEAM] thread.

• Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So what is everyone grabbing that didn't make a daily sale?

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hmm. What games is STALKER like? It's awfully damn cheap, but I don't want to buy a game I'd suck at or not like.

First person open world survival horror is what STALKER is.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Buying Grotesque right now, let me check it out.

desc on
  • Options
    SajemSajem Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So what non-daily deals have you been waiting until the last day to pick up?

I'm getting Mafia 1 ($5), thinking about Cryostasis ($6.50) and Republic Commando ($5). Also maybe the Commandos collection ($3), but probably not.

Sajem on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    I'm a hairsbreadth from picking up LEGO Star Wars Complete. Any compelling reasons not to?

It's awesome, but more fun co-op than by yourself.

I'll be finding out in a minute, but I assume co-op is not over the internet, correct?

Tamin on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Got Borderlands Claptrap DLC
    Zuma's Revenge (it kept the wife happy)
    and Battlefield Bad Company 2

I have a birthday coming up too :)

Bigity on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I'm a hairsbreadth from picking up LEGO Star Wars Complete. Any compelling reasons not to?

It's garbage?

Also, I could never get it to run without framerate hitches, except by turning the graphics down to a point where I might as well play it on a Wii.

I had the Lego Original Trilogy for Laptop which ran perfectly on top end 2005 hardware. We used to play two player while underway stopping teh druglords. It was fun times and its a cute game.

Yeah, on both my Radeon X1300 (old computer) and my current Radeon 4850 (new computer) I'd get hitches. The framerate wasn't bad, actually...it was silky smooth. Except every other second or so, when it would just drop like a half-dozen frames.

Lucas's support pretty much just said "lulz."

I had the exact same problem in Lego Indiana Jones, too, so I don't think I'm just crazy.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I want amnesia! Some one gift me amnesia!
    please?

related gifting note: My grandma sent us gourmet dog treats for my parents dogs, but they looked better than the cookies she also sent us, so my father and I started munching on the dog treats. They were delicious and exotic.....the dogs got some too eventually.

Shade on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I need some convincing on whether I should get Need For Speed. Maybe I should just go for it. I hear it's really good and I loved Burnout Paradise, even without the DLC being released for PC.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I would gift a few copies of Amnesia but I am currently broke.

And the only other thing I'm getting is Garrys Mod cause it looks fun to dick around in.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Woa woa woa. Where have I been?

Half Life SOURCE? Wtf? They re-did it? And it's on sale?

edit: And it came out 6 years ago?!

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, nothing that I regret passing on, but I might grab Winterbottom, a few Indie Packs (Kids, Smarts, Fantasy, Brain), and anything else that hits the price/interest sweet spot.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hmm. What games is STALKER like? It's awfully damn cheap, but I don't want to buy a game I'd suck at or not like.

It's an irradiated sandbox game where you talk to dudes in ponchos to bargain for medicine and ammo and everything is decrepit. It's equally aimless and awesome, and one of those games I am determined to finish ... eventually.

Combat is straightforward FPS stuff, the meat of the game is more the general exploration of the world than anything.

Wikipedia has a brief thing on the "zone of alienation" concept that underlies the game, although there's a much better essay online specifically discussing it in light of this game, but I'm not finding it yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_of_alienation

desc on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Sajem wrote: »
    So what non-daily deals have you been waiting until the last day to pick up?

I've been praying the LEGO games would go on sale (except Batman, which, irony).

Tamin on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am getting Republic Commando, Top Gun and Chrome SpecForce. Maybe some others.

I mean this is it for me till September so

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    anoffday wrote: »

No. It's not what you're thinking.

It's technically on the source engine instead.

Tamin on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Its not what you think. It just has nicer water and ragdoll dead bodies. Everything else looks the same.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    hey so Mafia II is super linear, right? It's not, like, Goodfellas meets Saint's Row 2 or anything?

desc on
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Umwhat? The final day of sales stuff just completely disappeared from my Steam page.

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hmm, Monkey Island, Civ IV, and Lego Star Wars. Iunno, I already have a bunch of games that I haven't played . . . But not Jade Empire :(

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What the hell Steam? I paid 8.24€ for Killing Floor Bundle two weeks ago and now it's 4.49€?

I guess it just goes to show that you should never think that something can't get cheaper on Steam.

Peewi on
  • Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Quick question, did they fix the skirmish AI in Napoleon:TW? I remember the one in Empire being horribly inept. Also, does it run any better than Empire?
    The game runs better than Empire, and the AI has been slightly improved (fewer suicidal general & line infantry wandering aimlessly into a field of musket fire)

I wouldn't recommend a purchase though, as CA's reputation for releasing broken and glitchy games on launch, and going back on their promises is despicable.

Prisca on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Catalase wrote: »
    Umwhat? The final day of sales stuff just completely disappeared from my Steam page.

They may be fixing it.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Uhhh, my sale page is gone now

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

when the hell is the black mesa mod going to be finished?

Shade on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Prices are still their sale prices the sales page just disappeared, probably to fix that region error. Don't panic!

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm not seeing sales?

Hawk on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Anyone tried Grotesque Tactics (today's indie deal)? It looks pretty good, but I'd like to hear some opinions first.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Maybe they're redoing that front page because those were some really horrible last day sales for me.

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hospital Tycoon is not on daily special, but it's $3.30 anyway, and looks worth it.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Its not what you think. It just has nicer water and ragdoll dead bodies. Everything else looks the same.
    Oh ok. Whatever happened to that Black Mesa mod that was suppose to come out too? This reminded me of that.

If I already own HL1 is source worth the 2.50?

anoffday on
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Maybe they're redoing that front page because those were some really horrible last day sales for me.

Likewise. :(

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sale is "gone" here. The sale prices seem to still be in place, but I only get the regular front page. Shortest recap day I can remember... :)

Edit: ...and it's back. I think the Newell may be toying with the internets.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Shade wrote: »

It's... not?

I mean, the game isn't that big. Or that complicated. If it were going to be released, it would have been by now.

The tram ride could have been released within a month of HL2 coming out. Unforeseen Consequences 2 months later. And so on.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Anyone tried Grotesque Tactics (today's indie deal)? It looks pretty good, but I'd like to hear some opinions first.

Downloading it right now, should only take me a couple of minutes to fire it up.

desc on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Shade wrote: »

It's... not?

I mean, the game isn't that big. Or that complicated. If it were going to be released, it would have been by now.

The tram ride could have been released within a month of HL2 coming out. Unforeseen Consequences 2 months later. And so on.
    Yeah, sadly it's probably dead. Their last twitter update was almost a year ago.

anoffday on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeeeurgh Monkey Island remains tempting but the 3 gig processor is far more than I have, and Back to the Future, while a reasonable price, is just too much. Again, :(

and if I whine enough in this thread, the venting will help me restrain myself from popping them in my cart anyway :P

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Why when i press the image of mafia 2 it goes to medal of honor on the sale page? o.o

AdditionalPylons on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Roshin wrote: »
    Sale is "gone" here. The sale prices seem to still be in place, but I only get the regular front page. Shortest recap day I can remember... :)

FLASH SALE 20 MINUTES ONLY!!1!

Seriously, though, if Steam ever started doing that I'd probably lose my job.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    everyone buy Killing Floor

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
This discussion has been closed.