As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo announces DS successor... IN 3D?!

• Options
    Mystic TerrapinMystic Terrapin Shelled Sorcerer Dark LandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Peewi wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Got an e-mail from my boss over at Amsterdam, he got the word straight from Nintendo that Samus is a playable character in DOA.

Kind of already figured that, but confirmation is confirmation.

Whoa whoa whoa, wait? Would Nintendo really allow this sort of thing? Wasn't Nintendo the one that tried to shut down Suicide Girls for having a Nintendo character or tatoo or something on one of the girls? I can't imagine them allowing Samus to get a DOA treatment..

It's not unprecedented for DOA, this is the series that previously had a Spartan in it. And Nintendo has had its characters in a few non-Nintendo games, including one of the snowboarding games.

I'm not saying I'm surprised the series is doing it, I'm surprised Nintendo is allowing it. If this were Soul Calibur or Street Fighter or something, no problem, but DOA has a 'reputation'.

When did you last look at Soul Calibur?

I guess they could have Samus be in armor at all times.

Yeah, back when Soul Calibur II came out, I had to make sure my parents weren't in the room for Taki or Ivy's super nipples. Woulda' been odd.

Mystic Terrapin on
    Nintendo Network ID: Ghostosaurus
    3DS FC: 0774-4319-6018
    PSN:GallantJay
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Link was in Soul Calibur..so I guess it's something that can happen.

If it's the case...then I'll end up buying it solely for Samus. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Whoa whoa whoa, wait? Would Nintendo really allow this sort of thing? Wasn't Nintendo the one that tried to shut down Suicide Girls for having a Nintendo character or tatoo or something on one of the girls? I can't imagine them allowing Samus to get a DOA treatment..

It's not unprecedented for DOA, this is the series that previously had a Spartan in it. And Nintendo has had its characters in a few non-Nintendo games, including one of the snowboarding games.

Plus Team Ninja did develop Metroid: Other M, so it's not that surprising.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    SeruleSerule Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Guek wrote: »
    with the 3DS priced as high as it is, i have no idea how sony is going to package a miniaturized ps3 into a portable and sell it at a reasonable price.

The high cost of the 3DS might have a lot to do with the 3D screen and the 3D cameras - drop those, and there might be budget for increased horsepower.
    1. The initial 4 mil shipment is going to sell out quick
    2. The 3DS will dominate the 2011 holiday season
    3. Developers have shown up in for force to support the device

I agree with #1 and #3, but #2 will only hold true if Nintendo can manufacture enough units.

Serule on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    skeldare wrote: »

Plus Team Ninja did develop Metroid: Other M, so it's not that surprising.

Yeah, and Samus in that was kind of... you know.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Augmented reality is a software solution, not hardware. It did not drive up the cost in any noticeable way. There's DSi games that do it.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I guess honestly I was just thinking of SCII with Link. Still, they didn't release a beach volleyball game. :P

It's funny, I'm not entirely interested in any of the launch games outside of Pilotwings, but I still want a 3DS at launch.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Augmented reality is a software solution, not hardware. It did not drive up the cost in any noticeable way. There's DSi games that do it.
    According to an Iwata Asks, it was quite expensive to precisely align the two cameras for capturing 3D images.

How much does it cost to license MP3 playback and potentially a video codec or two?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Serule wrote: »
    with the 3DS priced as high as it is, i have no idea how sony is going to package a miniaturized ps3 into a portable and sell it at a reasonable price.

The high cost of the 3DS might have a lot to do with the 3D screen and the 3D cameras - drop those, and there might be budget for increased horsepower.

Then again, Sony is never, EVER budget-minded. They've been that way throughout the company for decades. Sony prices high in order to give their products an air of high-quality luxury.

Or to put it another way: if Sony really wanted to compete on price, they wouldn't have priced the PSP Go, which almost assuredly cost less than the regular PSP to manufacture, 80 bucks higher than the regular PSP. And that was when the PSP had already been struggling for years.

If I had to guess, I'd say Sony will see Nintendo's $250 price tag as a mandate to price the PSP2 higher than that.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    According to an Iwata Asks, it was quite expensive to precisely align the two cameras for capturing 3D images.

How much does it cost to license MP3 playback and potentially a video codec or two?

http://mp3licensing.com/royalty/software.html

MP3 costs about 5$ per device. Depends on if the 3DS will be able to record in mp3 or just decode though.

I know the DVD spec still costs about 15-20$ per device to license, which is why Nintendo has yet to allow DVD playback on any of their consoles. Microsoft tried to get around it on the OXbox by charging 20$ for the required remote plugin to watch DVDs :P

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Well, more expensive than the cost of the two cameras by themselves, anyway.

Keep in mind that in the Iwata Asks for Mario Kart Wii, Miyamoto bitched about the added cost of the blue coloring of the Wii wheel. That can't have been more than a few pennies per wheel. Then again a few pennies x several million = significant costs.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The launch line-up coupled with the price means I'll be waiting a while before I pick the system up. Region-locking is a pretty big blow but not enough to completely deter me from the 3DS.

I really hope they bring over the Layton x Ace Attorney game. That's pretty much the main thing I want on the system.

CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Eteric wrote: »
    I think there's a reason Nintendo priced the 3DS at $250. Think about it, lets say the PSP2 comes out and matches/is a bit higher. Nintendo could easily drop the price and out maneuver the PSP2.

They have an advantage, but I still don't think they should count this as won yet. Not until a year or so after both release, anyway.

Nintendo's never going to drop the price until it suits them from a profit perspective. Most likely when another version of the hardware ships.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    On the Nintendo 3DS site the following note is made in regards to the VC
    A Nintendo 3DS system update may be required to access this feature.

It's horribly ambiguous but the note on the Internet browser helps a bit:
    A Nintendo 3DS system update will be required to access this feature.

Sounds like the VC will probably make launch with a chance of being built in or requiring an update. This would be similar to the Weather and News Wii channels which required an update at launch.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    foooosh

this is the sound of me saving all my pennies

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    foooosh

I'm sort of glad too - £230 is absurdly high. It's a full £50/$80 over what the Wii cost in the UK (£180), despite launching for exactly the same US price. And it's £40 over the actual cost in dollars, even with our 20% sales tax added on. It makes it very, very easy to wait for the inevitable hardware revisions and price drop, and along with the region-locking, could pave the way for my first ever import-only handheld.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bioptic wrote: »
    foooosh

I'm sort of glad too - £230 is absurdly high. It's a full £50/$80 over what the Wii cost in the UK (£180), despite launching for exactly the same US price. And it's £40 over the actual cost in dollars, even with our 20% sales tax added on. It makes it very, very easy to wait for the inevitable hardware revisions and price drop, and along with the region-locking, could pave the way for my first ever import-only handheld.
    LewieP wrote: »
    UKers:
    Nintendo 3DS + Super Monkey Ball 3D – £217.91 delivered

LewieP on
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bioptic wrote: »
    foooosh

UKers:
    Nintendo 3DS + Super Monkey Ball 3D – £217.91 delivered
    Yeah, it's too early to tell with the pricing. The various retailers will feel it out but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up under £199. That said, if it's supply constrained, we can also look at most retailers selling on a bundle-only basis...

Seol on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Better, but still too high for a handheld, same as it was for PSP.

At that price, rather have an iPod touch.

More than double the price of the original DS. :v:

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    chipmanchipman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    How will the region locking work in terms of old DS games anyway?

It hadn't occured to me to import till it was mentioned, but if it can't play my DS games then maybe not.

chipman on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    What I really need to know is how many pennies do I have to save each day to have enough by launch.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Regular DS games are not region locked.

DSi enhanced and DSi only games, and all 3DS games are region locked.

The only DSi enhanced game that anyone would likely own is Pokémon Black and White.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    chipman wrote: »

It hadn't occured to me to import till it was mentioned, but if it can't play my DS games then maybe not.

It won't affect them at all. DSi's already have region locking for DSi-only games (of which there are few), but original DS games all work fine.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Furthermore, region-locking is not compulsory. If publishers want to release un-region-locked games, they can.

Seol on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    What I really need to know is how many pennies do I have to save each day to have enough by launch.

Three hundred and seventy four, before tax.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Holy shiz my couch does not contain that much monies!

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Kotaku's 12 minute preview of the interface:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrI7uTMjGic

The notepad function is neat. It "minimizes" the game to the top screen so you can take notes regarding what you're seeing onscreen.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Seol wrote: »

Furthermore, region-locking is not compulsory. If publishers want to release un-region-locked games, they can.

A guy told me that VG247 (the site that was listed as the source in most news articles that featured the region lock news) is the same place that said the 3DS would be out in November and that Goldeneye would be released on XBLA, and that it shouldn't be trusted. I'm not sure if he's telling the truth, he acts like a very stubborn idiot whenever I say anything.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Actually, Goldeneye XBLA was confirmed as existing but died due to corporate politics

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The DS Lite was originally priced at £99 and €149. Now it's £229 and €249. That's more than twice as much in the UK.

The pound really tanked innit? It can't be the VAT increase alone. Now I see why Brits are so cross all over the Internet.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The fact that it was going to exist doesn't mean you can say "it will be available on XBLA" with certainty.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    RockinX wrote: »
    The fact that it was going to exist doesn't mean you can say "it will be available on XBLA" with certainty.

To be fair at the time, it was going to come out when they reported it. I doubted it at the same time too if you look at the thread on here, but various Rare fansites and other publications got all the juicy details and screens post-fallout.

- Rare had the game finished.
    - Rare had the blessing from Microsoft to develop a simultaneously releasing Wii version (!)

In the end, it came down to profit splitting. Nintendo of America had signed off on it, Iwata was so-so but would go for it if Nintendo was given a cut of the XBLA profits in addition to the WiiWare profits. Microsoft and Nintendo haggled over this part and this is where the project died.

Apparently before the Kinectization of Rare, it was still going to come as 'Bean', which would have been Goldeneye starring Joanna's dad (serving as a prequel to Perfect Dark) but with the same levels, locations, and so on. Basically Goldeneye minus the James Bond license.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    That AR stuff is snazzy

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah the price on this thing is mehh

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It has back compatibility with DS games right?

Yes it does, and you can transfer DSiware purchases over too (perhaps not immediately at launch).

How do you do that if you trade in your DSi towards a 3DS, which is the whole point of transferring?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Seol wrote: »

Japanese publishers... remember I love you.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Actually, Goldeneye XBLA was confirmed as existing but died due to corporate politics

Such as starting to make it before they actually had permission from Nintendo.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You know, I was gonna pass on the 3DS...but then Mega Man Legends 3 was confirmed for it, so I guess I have to get a 3DS now.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    plufim wrote: »

Such as starting to make it before they actually had permission from Nintendo.

Yeah, that really wasn't bright on Rare's part in hindsight.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The notepad function is neat. It "minimizes" the game to the top screen so you can take notes regarding what you're seeing onscreen.

Seriously? Does it auto-mark your notes with what you were playing at the time (and maybe a time and date? a screenshot, perhaps?)? (Can't watch / hear the video at the moment.)

Every damn game should have that functionality, and if they (Nintendo) do it right, the 3DS will just kludge it into everything? This thing gets cooler by the minute.

Elvenshae on