As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WOW] I don't wanna [CHAT] I wanna tank LFD all day.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Got my drake of the westwind this morning. Yeah I probably should have got the epic trink first but I have 333 trinks and wanted something for me first. Woo!!! I feel like its neverending story except I don't have a mental illness.

Also helped a 4/5 guild run TotT last night, they had never done it and I was the instruction for all boss fights, we one shot the first two, had some difficulty on the third (I got taken out during his transition due to having low health and high aggro and since in the past I'd always seen the guy get dropped super fast didn't notice hes a fight that meele actually is better then casting ranged). Last boss was only hard until they got down the phases and then it was easy peasy. They thanked me for helping them through it and I got my vps without too much hair pulling.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    I plan on getting all the gear I can through rep grinds/etc. first before jumping into group content. So I haven't gemmed/enchanted yet because of that. Once I get ready to do group stuff, I'll gem/enchant everything I have.

But one of the best ways to grind the rep is to do the group content! What a dilemma! :P

It's gonna be a bit before you get the ilevel for heroics anyway, but running level 85 dungeons with a tabard will be one of your best ways to gear up at the moment. Both via the drops and the rep gain. I think I would have gone mad trying to max out my reps via the dailies alone.

Yeah seriously, normals you'll get HOO a lot, LCoT a couple times, and Grim batol occaisionally. GB depending on how good your group is at the drakes can really cut down on your rep gain, but most groups don't hit that many of that good. And normals are mostly face rolls, there is no reason not to run them as a fresh 85. I would recommend finishing all cata zones and quests, but I liked all of the cata questing so I'm odd like that.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, retadins are in a weird/bad place right now. Basically if you random into good procs you can pull perfectly solid DPS and if you don't random into any procs at all people are going to be questioning if you are worth having in the group. Hopefully the next patch will fix this up a good amount!

Worst comes to worst at least you can always tank or heal in the interim.

My DPS variance is insane.

Some fights, 7k, 8k, other fights, 12k.

Same. Exact. Rotation.

what.

Though it's one of the most frustrating things in the world, I refuse to give up on my retadin. I'll just weather the storm until the inevitable fix.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wavechaser wrote: »
    Though it's one of the most frustrating things in the world, I refuse to give up on my retadin. I'll just weather the storm until the inevitable fix.

Good on you. Sometime soon, they'll take the weights from your arms.
    Then you'll show them.

Rend on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rius wrote: »
    What I saw from 1-64 made me very sad. I'm told that things are different at 80-85, but there was essentially zero difficulty, and the consequence of that seems to be that people don't learn how to play their classes.

I hate to wipe the smudges off of your rose-tinted glasses a bit, but 1-60 in the original game didn't exactly teach you how to play your class either. I saw Mages who knew nothing but spamming Blizzard, because that's how you leveled as a Mage. I saw Warriors who were trying to tank Stratholme not knowing their taunt from their ass. I saw more than a few raid-aspiring Paladins quit the game in disgust when, after 59 levels of leveling as Ret (because everything else was shithouse for leveling), they suddenly come to find out that everything they may've learned in those 59 levels amounts to bupkis: they will either switch to Holy and heal, stick with Ret and PvP until they hit the high-rank politics game, or quit.

There's a reason people always said that the game started at level 60, and that's because the skillset required for raiding was completely different from what you saw leveling up, even when doing dungeons.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah sub cap leveling is always easy sauce. The game get tuned more around the end cap/leveling in the current expansion. With talents and such. 1-80 is a lay up, you might struggle in BC dungeons because enemies in there still have abilities that can wipe out a group (like in mana tombs and the fear mobs or the mana burners), and wrath dungeons are hard at 70 because of poor itemization/easier leveling lending to lower item level to start wrath out, but by the time you are 72 you've got wrath gear and tearing things up till cata.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    A smart DPS player will learn more from an hour of reading EJ and hitting a target dummy about how to DPS in a raid than they will from leveling from 1-85.

I can't really speak for learning to heal or tank though, never had a healer and haven't tanked since vanilla. I imagine target dummies are less useful for learning those roles though. :lol:

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wavechaser wrote: »
    Yeah, retadins are in a weird/bad place right now. Basically if you random into good procs you can pull perfectly solid DPS and if you don't random into any procs at all people are going to be questioning if you are worth having in the group. Hopefully the next patch will fix this up a good amount!

Worst comes to worst at least you can always tank or heal in the interim.

My DPS variance is insane.

Some fights, 7k, 8k, other fights, 12k.

Same. Exact. Rotation.

what.

This was how my Shaman was up to Wrath.
    I'd either be fighting the tank for DPS, or I'd be fighting the tank for threat. It's just procs. When you get lucky, you get really lucky. Otherwise you're just kinda a wash, wallowing around the wading pool to prove your worth. I need more words that start with 'w.'

And not to double-post, but I'm really like my Warlock at 74. But my lock is affliction. I notice that, if you go entirely by meters as a metric, I barely out-dps the healer, yet I'll have the most damage done by quite a bit. How the fuck does that work?

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I love the consistency of being a mutilate rogue, poisons +mutil are solid damage and well played its fun without feeling like I'm just hitting the same buttons over and over again. And we still have good aoe that helps other classes (fan of knives on adds putting crippling + deadly poison + 8% extra magic damage = dead fucking adds).

I can't wait till they fix combat's mastery so that its actually fucking worthwhile and I'd have two valid specs. Well that and the meta gem fix.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    korodullin wrote: »
    What I saw from 1-64 made me very sad. I'm told that things are different at 80-85, but there was essentially zero difficulty, and the consequence of that seems to be that people don't learn how to play their classes.

I hate to wipe the smudges off of your rose-tinted glasses a bit, but 1-60 in the original game didn't exactly teach you how to play your class either. I saw Mages who knew nothing but spamming Blizzard, because that's how you leveled as a Mage. I saw Warriors who were trying to tank Stratholme not knowing their taunt from their ass. I saw more than a few raid-aspiring Paladins quit the game in disgust when, after 59 levels of leveling as Ret (because everything else was shithouse for leveling), they suddenly come to find out that everything they may've learned in those 59 levels amounts to bupkis: they will either switch to Holy and heal, stick with Ret and PvP until they hit the high-rank politics game, or quit.

There's a reason people always said that the game started at level 60, and that's because the skillset required for raiding was completely different from what you saw leveling up, even when doing dungeons.

You're talking about bad Mages and Warriors; there was certainly enough time to learn all the things I talked about as a Classic Hunter from 1-60. Trapping extra mobs was definitely a useful skill to have by the time of, say, the Scarlet Monastery. And anything you didn't necessarily have to learn while leveling you had plenty of time to learn at 60, and not from raiding; Scholomance/Stratholme definitely benefited from a strong technical skillset.

If the game started at 60 back then, when 3 powers (Aimed Shot, Serpent Sting, Multishot, repeat) and standing still were all I needed to "learn", then how much worse are things now when the game starts at 80 and there's five times as many powers to learn about? Plus the evolution of 5-man dungeons to include things originally spawned in 40-mans? Rose-tinted glasses or not, the situation is much worse now than it ever was before.

At least back in the old days if you sucked then you died, a lot. Blundering into a second Drakkisath trash pack should mean guaranteed death for the entire party, not "just pop a few cooldowns and we'll be fine."

Rius on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You're talking about bad Mages and Warriors; there was certainly enough time to learn all the things I talked about as a Classic Hunter from 1-60. Trapping extra mobs was definitely a useful skill to have by the time of, say, the Scarlet Monastery. And anything you didn't necessarily have to learn while leveling you had plenty of time to learn at 60, and not from raiding; Scholomance/Stratholme definitely benefited from a strong technical skillset.

If the game started at 60 back then, when 3 powers (Aimed Shot, Serpent Sting, Multishot, repeat) and standing still were all I needed to "learn", then how much worse are things now when the game starts at 80 and there's five times as many powers to learn about? Plus the evolution of 5-man dungeons to include things originally spawned in 40-mans? Rose-tinted glasses or not, the situation is much worse now than it ever was before.

At least back in the old days if you sucked then you died, a lot. Blundering into a second Drakkisath trash pack should mean guaranteed death for the entire party, not "just pop a few cooldowns and we'll be fine."

TL;DR: Get off my damn lawn you whipper snappers. Back in my day, everything was better than it is now. Grumble, grumble.

(The 1-60 leveling content used to be god damn terrible, I don't care if it is easy now, at least it's not horrible, disjointed and without any sort of flow).

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah running a vanilla end game dungeon was pain. I mean who liked doing strat or scholo or any of the brs? No one. You were happy as fuck when the dungeon was over and you could go back to uhh sitting around? I mean you either ground or you rode around collecting mats, dailies weren't even existence.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    GnomeTank wrote: »

TL;DR: Get off my damn lawn you whipper snappers. Back in my day, everything was better than it is now. Grumble, grumble.

(The 1-60 leveling content used to be god damn terrible, I don't care if it is easy now, at least it's not horrible, disjointed and without any sort of flow).

Nice summation =P

I like the redesign of 1-60; there's a lot of fun questing to be done and it's certainly easier to group for instances (well, as a tank, anyway). I'm not saying everything used to be better back then; I'm just saying that being able to faceroll everything, including bosses, is not fun.

Clearing Scholomance in an hour instead of five hours? Awesome. Killing 3 of Darkmaster Gandling's minions at once instead of one at a time? Dumb. Tanking Drakkisath and his two adds at the same time? Ultra Silly Goose.

Rius on
  • Options
    Rikidou HyuugaRikidou Hyuuga Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm tanking my way up with instance loot only, refusing to use heirlooms, purely to make myself work harder since I'll be surrounded by reroll DPS in heirlooms with mayhem on their mind and overpowered level 10 abilities at their fingertips.

Rikidou Hyuuga on
  • Options
    exmelloexmello Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The biggest difference from then to now is that everyone has learned that they can whine in the forums and Blues will respond. Everything thinks they're game designers and they know how everything should be balanced. When you ran across something ridiculously hard in vanilla, you just looked at it and said "hmm this is crazy, what can I do with the tools I have available to me?", now it's "nerf that!", "buff this!".

In the beginning of TBC when moonkin was just starting to become viable but still had horrible mana problem, I went and did the math myself on every single spell, figured out the right spell rotations for the length of the right fights. I went to ridiculous ends to craft gear that covered whole in itemization and I loved it. I loved the attunement process, and the heroics that were initially impossible. If I couldn't beat something yet, it wasn't because it was unbalanced, it was because I just didn't have the gear or skill to do it yet, and it I would be able to eventually.

exmello on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm tanking my way up with instance loot only, refusing to use heirlooms, purely to make myself work harder since I'll be surrounded by reroll DPS in heirlooms with mayhem on their mind and overpowered level 10 abilities at their fingertips.

This is what I went through on my Prot Warrior; I found it to be really not much trouble at all because prot spec tanks do so much damage now. Which is another thing I didn't expect and really liked; that tanking specs now use damage for threat instead of +threat skills.

Rius on
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    reVerse wrote: »
    I don't see why you wouldn't trap everything in sight. Instant Lock n' Load proc!

I am a marksman ... not survival.

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    exmello wrote: »
    The biggest difference from then to now is that everyone has learned that they can whine in the forums and Blues will respond. Everything thinks they're game designers and they know how everything should be balanced. When you ran across something ridiculously hard in vanilla, you just looked at it and said "hmm this is crazy, what can I do with the tools I have available to me?", now it's "nerf that!", "buff this!".

In the beginning of TBC when moonkin was just starting to become viable but still had horrible mana problem, I went and did the math myself on every single spell, figured out the right spell rotations for the length of the right fights. I went to ridiculous ends to craft gear that covered whole in itemization and I loved it. I loved the attunement process, and the heroics that were initially impossible. If I couldn't beat something yet, it wasn't because it was unbalanced, it was because I just didn't have the gear or skill to do it yet, and it I would be able to eventually.

This man knows what I'm talking about.

If we could just get a guild together of people that think like this <3

Rius on
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    A smart DPS player will learn more from an hour of reading EJ and hitting a target dummy about how to DPS in a raid than they will from leveling from 1-85.

I can't really speak for learning to heal or tank though, never had a healer and haven't tanked since vanilla. I imagine target dummies are less useful for learning those roles though. :lol:

Tanking and Healing most definately have to be learned from experience. There is a certain feel you get after a while where you know exactly how much you can handle. But you can learn a lot from watching over the shoulder of someone playing a Tank or Healer, I don't think the same is for DPS.

Buddies on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Maybe you guys could name yourselves <Rose-tinted Glasses>

It would be rather apt.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    exmelloexmello Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I quit at the beginning of WOTLK and have been just following my class patch notes ever since. I'm waiting for a good time to come back, but I bought so many steam games over the holidays it might be a while.

exmello on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Maybe you guys could name yourselves <Rose-tinted Glasses>

It would be rather apt.

Pfft, I just want to be able to stand on the Ironforge bridge between the AH and the Bank in my 5/5 t2.5 and get whispers asking me where the fuck my crazy looking gear came from. If that's rose-tinted glasses then I am a smug pink sunglasses motherfucker.

Rius on
  • Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    I don't see why you wouldn't trap everything in sight. Instant Lock n' Load proc!

I am a marksman ... not survival.

There's your first problem. :rotate:

Emporium on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Pfft, I just want to be able to stand on the Ironforge bridge between the AH and the Bank in my 5/5 t2.5 and get whispers asking me where the fuck my crazy looking gear came from. If that's rose-tinted glasses then I am a smug pink sunglasses motherfucker.

So the whispers that half of my guildies get for the mounts they got from getting all the heroic cata dungeon achievements? Got ya.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I was so pissed when they took out attunements in TBC, especially for Tempest Keep. My guild had worked really hard getting all of our people attuned to that place, we get in there for 1-2 weeks and then they just let everyone in for no work. I can understand why they would remove the attunements (kind of), but it was still a metaphorical slap to the face.

Zomro on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Attunements are fake "difficulty." The content behind the locked door is still the same, and getting attuned was never hard, just time consuming. It's like if they made it so before every time you raid you had to hand in 100 of each cata herb, 50 pyrium bars, 50 savage leather and 1,000 embersilk cloth. It wouldn't make the raid any harder to do, its just one more logistical bullshit hoop to jump through. It's the same reason why you don't need 40 people to raid anymore. Its fake "difficulty."

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Attunements are fake "difficulty." The content behind the locked door is still the same, and getting attuned was never hard, just time consuming. It's like if they made it so before every time you raid you had to hand in 100 of each cata herb, 50 pyrium bars, 50 savage leather and 1,000 embersilk cloth. It wouldn't make the raid any harder to do, its just one more logistical bullshit hoop to jump through. It's the same reason why you don't need 40 people to raid anymore. Its fake "difficulty."

You're a bitter person, aren't you?

And in any event, the whole game is hoops to jump through. Attunements weren't fake difficulty, they were simply a way of prolonging end-game content and thusly generating more revenue.

They removed attunements (are there anything like them now at all?) for the same reason they switched from 40-man to 25-man raiding; more and more people were starting to play WoW and less and less people were experiencing end game content. What's the percentage of players who fought the original Kel'Thuzad, 1%? 3%?

Content that's easier to access = more players able to participate in that content = more happy customers = more money for Blizzard; that's all anything is ever about. None of it has to do with "fake difficulty", whatever that means.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah attunements are faker than item level for gate keeping.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

You're a bitter person, aren't you?

And in any event, the whole game is hoops to jump through. Attunements weren't fake difficulty, they were simply a way of prolonging end-game content and thusly generating more revenue.

They removed attunements (are there anything like them now at all?) for the same reason they switched from 40-man to 25-man raiding; more and more people were starting to play WoW and less and less people were experiencing end game content. What's the percentage of players who fought the original Kel'Thuzad, 1%? 3%?

Content that's easier to access = more players able to participate in that content = more happy customers = more money for Blizzard; that's all anything is ever about. None of it has to do with "fake difficulty", whatever that means.

Original KT is a bad example because that content came out very close to an expac.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'd say the % of people killing Kelt was twofold. One being that naxx dropped like I swear 6 months prior to BC, and the other was that raids back then were accumalitive with no way to catch up if you were "beind" to raid BWL you had to do MC, to raid AQ you had to have run BWL, and to do naxx you had to have either full BWL or AQ (a reason AQ got marginalized it was easier to just run naxx since the AQ gear wasn't that much better outside of meele weapons).

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Leveling now as a tank may not teach you as much about staying alive as it used to, but it definately teaches you WAY more about holding aggro from idiots than it ever did :D

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    I'd say the % of people killing Kelt was twofold. One being that Naxx dropped like I swear 6 months prior to BC, and the other was that raids back then were accumulative with no way to catch up if you were "behind." To raid BWL you had to do MC, to raid AQ you had to have run BWL, and to do Naxx you had to have either full BWL or AQ (a reason AQ got marginalized it was easier to just run Naxx since the AQ gear wasn't that much better outside of melee weapons).

What was wrong with that?

And any guild that skipped AQ40 made the wrong call. C'Thun was just too cool.

Rius on
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Some could be considered that way, I suppose. I was mainly referring to the Tempest Keep attunement where you had to run certain Heroics (i.e. speed HSH). I think, at the time, it was to test people to make sure they had at competence in their role (at that time, before HSH was tuned down, you needed a party that knew their stuff to make it to the executioner). Your example is no where near what the TK attunement was, but I agree that your example is a really bad attunement idea (i.e. opening the gates of AQ, where it was reliant on a whole server to get a bunch of mats harvested, so a lot of servers were very slow in opening it due to low population).

Zomro on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd say the % of people killing Kelt was twofold. One being that naxx dropped like I swear 6 months prior to BC, and the other was that raids back then were accumalitive with no way to catch up if you were "beind" to raid BWL you had to do MC, to raid AQ you had to have run BWL, and to do naxx you had to have either full BWL or AQ (a reason AQ got marginalized it was easier to just run naxx since the AQ gear wasn't that much better outside of meele weapons).
    Well, y'know, that and needing 8 fucking 4/9 dreadnaught warriors for horsemen.

JAEF on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Still a bad idea, for the sake of alts.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Buddies wrote: »

Tanking and Healing most definately have to be learned from experience. There is a certain feel you get after a while where you know exactly how much you can handle. But you can learn a lot from watching over the shoulder of someone playing a Tank or Healer, I don't think the same is for DPS.

Can't speak for tanking, but healing definitely. You don't get a good feel for the flow of damage without watching it. There's no target dummy that takes raid damage, etc.

Rend on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    If you were a new guild, or new to raiding, you had to basically raid for months on content not everyone wanted to run just to be able to get to the new tier (gearing up 40 people was difficult prior to badges and such, you needed your tanks and healers to get gear and if the RNG hated you that might just not be happening). Add to this needing to keep a 40 man raid group together this whole time and all the drama around loot and other bullshit it gate keepered a lot of people out of content they would have otherwise been able to enjoy.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RakeethRakeeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    JAEF wrote: »
    Well, y'know, that and needing 8 fucking hit-capped warriors for horsemen.

Horseman was six with proper tank switching. But yea that was still too many.

Rakeeth on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There should really be a way to shut off digsites if you have ALL the rares and commons. Done with Fossil and NE and farming Tol'Vir is gonna be brutal.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Much like healing, tanking is something that you have to learn by doing. Sure I can tell you what abilities I'm using, but that will only give you the bare basics of a class.

One of my coworkers recently switched from his shaman to leveling a warrior. (He also switched from Horde to Alliance for which I give him no small amount of shit :D) Every day at work he's got a new set of questions. How do I do this? How do I do that? What do I do when this happens? He recounts his previous evenings exploits, explains how he handled it, and asks for suggestions of things he might have missed. Every day there's new questions he didn't even fathom the day before.

Too bad there's not a target dummy that can teach you how to pick up two mobs spawning on the other side of the room 50 feet away while holding aggro on the three mobs you're already holding, as well the one that just spawned next to you and pulling them all to a small area to be burned down at a specific time. Or a dummy that trains you to accurately pull a group consisting of 4 melee mobs and one caster from a position next to a group of pathing mobs in a tight tunnel when only two of the melee mobs are CCable. These are the types of things you can only learn by doing.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
This discussion has been closed.