As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] The Confines || Game Over! Mafia Victory!

1151617181921»

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd say this was worth four Farangus.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    But the mafia won...

Darian on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd say this was worth four Farangus.

Wait...what?

I dunno fi I should feel proud or insulted?

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yes.
    A game may be considered a Farangu Phalla if it satisfies two constraints:

1. The mafia is underpowered
    2. A bucketload of villagers with special powers.

If you have more villagers with powers than villagers without a power and the mafia seems to be missing standard powers like choosing a kill, your game might be a Farangu Phalla.

Farangu phallas are measured in units of Farangus

Darian on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Okay, I'm exaggerating. It wasn't massively unbalanced. And it helped that all the wrong people were specials and all the right people were mafia.

But by all rights, the village should've won this game.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There was equal chance to win for both sides.

The matter of it came down to, who played the game correctly.

The mafia played better than the Village.

is the Redirect powerful? Potentially, yes, but it requires an awful lot of assuming on the part of the person with that power.

The mafia outplayed the village. It really is just that simple, and if that's not a game with enough balance for you, then I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it and that it didn't meet your approval. But, can't please everybody.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hey now. I never said I didn't enjoy it.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I take it as a compliment that he feels the Mafia was stacked against and we still won.

Some thoughts I had along the way:

Day 1 - I had no clue what was going on, and voted for Romanqwerty as I could see he was coming in as number 2. I didn't want to draw attention to myself, yet.

Day 2 - I was surprised by how late in the day Kellie's Epic Reveal was. Phyphor sacrificing himself at this point to try and insure we could get Kellie was a great move on his part, although ultimately it wasn't needed.

Day 3 - I was thoroughly confused by Garrik's story swapping. Ultimately, I had to vote for Phyphor because of his actions on Day 2. I hated voting for a fellow Mafia, but I wanted to win. I was concerned because several Mafia exposed themselves to save Phyphor for a day.

Day 4 - The obvious vote to not arrouse suspicion was Phyphor. He went out in a landslide. I really could see the village was turning on Garrick. I made a misinterpretation at this point, that I thought we had caught the Village Vig that wasn't Garrik's pet, and he had sent his pet onto Romanqwerty. Looking back, I can see instead it was a sign of how much the village felt he couldn't be trusted that they tried to vig him, and unintentionally took out Roman instead.

Day 5 - Garick's, quite frankly, incompetance at putting together a network nearly got me toasted. It would have been much worse off for the Mafia had I gone down, as it would have drawn suspicion on several other mafia members.

Day 6 - Schuss had to be sacrificed as we couldn't have derailed the bandwagon on him. But this was used to setup Skarsol.

Day 7 - Skarsol vote and win.

I have to give a lot of credit to my fellow mafia members. I, for the most part, stayed out of the selecting of targets, and the more experienced players such as Sir Fab, Schuss, and Nodgarb, really knew what to look for in order to catch a special.

Garick, you were easily in position to be a great network head. If you had been more honest up front, you easily could have positioned yourself to lead the village. However, that's part of why I kept pushing against you, was to try and discredit you and put you in a mood where you didn't want to work with people but instead just wanted them to follow orders. Ultimately, I think it worked pretty well.

When Cleo's Vig was redirected to Roman, that was basically it for the village.

It was a great game and a ton of fun.

Heffling on
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah 3-5 kills per night on the village seems like adequate time to get a feel for who the mafia is and build networks. After all that's at least 3 days before the mafia is in a serious position to control the vote, unless everyone acts like dingbats and lets them.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Honestly, I think this was probably balanced very close to perfectly even. The mafia probably had slightly below standard numbers but the village also had slightly reduced special numbers (only 1 guard/seer rather than 2). Also I think you're underestimating the power of having 2 mafia kills in a low power game.

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think switching the redirect to a standard busdriver was all that was needed to balance it. That could have been SO powerful.

schuss on