As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Soy Un [Chat]edor

• Options
    FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Eddy wrote: »
    And you're saying that the blogger who took "offense" to the t-shirt and who made one of her own for financial gain and/or publicity wasn't arguing in bad faith?

I was never talking about her at all

you're really dedicated to opposing...something, here

not sure what

it isn't anything I've said

but keep on keepin' on until you find it, brother

Fartacus on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Not everything is black and white, as much as people from both sides want to believe

Yeah sometimes the issues are more mexican or asian, but no one ever says "Man stop thinking of this in math nerds and yard workers!"

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    72 minutes...

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I liked the dick wolf design and the joke, now I'm sad its no longer for sale. Am I engaged in phony outrage?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Not everything is black and white, as much as people from both sides want to believe

Way to offend completely color blind people and dogs, jerk.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    God damn it. The cat seems to have rejected all her food, which makes sense since she expects biscuits in the morning.

But now they've put a pile of wet cat food outside in 35-degree heat, which she can't possibly eat all of in the first place, and seems intent on not eating any of (and I don't blame her).

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I've always wanted to make a thread discussing phony outrage and feigned indignity and all that stuff. We don't care if random dude uses foul language in private but a politician uttering foul language in public? That politician needs to resign! The public is offended! ... not really, but the public thinks they're expected to be offended so they go along with it.

Fart, I figure more than a few posters jumping on your case were going through the same motions.

oh yeah I'm aware

also part of the reason I responded to Eddy's post the way I did

Fartacus on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Variable wrote: »
    I don't measure my success in terms of violence and domination

good for you?

when I'm playing a game of violence and domination I guess I do. and I don't feel bad about it.

and of course everyone is framing this in terms of some presumably jockish victor boorishly crowing over his opponent

when in fact it's perfectly natural for the loser to use language like that and feel mildly humiliated and dominated by a victor. "ouch, I got fucked right out of the spawn."

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    I liked the dick wolf design and the joke, now I'm sad its no longer for sale. Am I engaged in phony outrage?

I'm glad you're taking the news like an adult rather than some kind of hyper-idealistic crusader for free speech / rape victims.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    we fucking gassed those Jews, good job team

Nobody actually says that.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I like to say 'we rolled them' or 'we wrecked them'

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    Oh, man, are we back to shitting our pants over racism[chat] from the other day? Is that happening?

There are some very delicate little flowers in [chat]

they are easily bruised, like the petal of a lily

Fartacus on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

look can we stop using the term color blind

it's offensive to, you know, actual blind people

you're marginalizing their disability, you jerk

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    why would you want to say "I raped in Halo" or whatever

do you enjoy likening your experience to forcefully having sex with somebody else?

It could perhaps be argued that by having the word co-opted into the regular lexicon, its definition within that context would have increasingly less to do with the act of sexual rape, instead of a more generic, albeit still vulgar, term for besting someone decidedly.

Or I could just be blowing a shitload of smoke...

I don't care that some fucking retarded gamer decided it was fine to use it the way it is often used

I don't say it and I don't approve of anyone else using it that way

Well that's kind of my point I guess. You define the word in that context as a comparison to forcefully having sex with beating someone in a game. Perhaps the person using it does not? On the one hand I agree it's ok to point it out if it bothers you, but I think it's somewhat disengenuous to not at least understand why they might be using that word. I mean the gaming culture kind of reinforces these things, and we're not going to win any hearts over to being more politically correct with their language by calling them retards.....though they may very well be.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Honk wrote: »

maybe we should

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I'm glad you're taking the news like an adult rather than some kind of hyper-idealistic crusader for free speech / rape victims.

I'll admit there are few things I'd protest about, Uwe bolls consistently bad film making still getting financed, The existence of Kansas, the pittsburgh steelers, but a t shirt that I had not purchased no longer being purchaseable? Meh.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I don't even know what I say during gaming. Possibly bad things because apparently I am a really sore loser.

Honk on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    I believe those who both protested and defended the t-shirt are guilty of phony outrage. Reasonable people shouldn't give a shit, but this is the internet.

the idea that everyone who professes a strong feeling you don't share one way or the other must be conspiring to get your attention is kind of absurd.

I disagree with some of the extremes I've read from both sides but I don't doubt that their feelings are sincerely felt.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Fartacus wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I've always wanted to make a thread discussing phony outrage and feigned indignity and all that stuff. We don't care if random dude uses foul language in private but a politician uttering foul language in public? That politician needs to resign! The public is offended! ... not really, but the public thinks they're expected to be offended so they go along with it.

Fart, I figure more than a few posters jumping on your case were going through the same motions.

oh yeah I'm aware

also part of the reason I responded to Eddy's post the way I did

I'm just poking fun at how constantly outraged you appear about injustice and oppressive social structures. It's really, really funny seeing how you always harp on us for being racist and sexist and propagating the rape culture. Self-righteousness is just cute.

Eddy on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey Jacob my mother is taking me out for dinner so I might be late for M&M, but I will be there.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

maybe we should

I mean good job team, nobody ever admits that it takes a team effort.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »

good for you?

when I'm playing a game of violence and domination I guess I do. and I don't feel bad about it.

and of course everyone is framing this in terms of some presumably jockish victor boorishly crowing over his opponent

when in fact it's perfectly natural for the loser to use language like that and feel mildly humiliated and dominated by a victor. "ouch, I got fucked right out of the spawn."

Yeah I normally say that when I lose badly "Jesus I'm getting raped in here, its like an all you can fuck buffet with my ass being the main course."

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I believe those who both protested and defended the t-shirt are guilty of phony outrage. Reasonable people shouldn't give a shit, but this is the internet.

the idea that everyone who professes a strong feeling you don't share one way or the other must be conspiring to get your attention is kind of absurd.

I disagree with some of the extremes I've read from both sides but I don't doubt that their feelings are sincerely felt.

I wrote that badly. There are those on both sides who have phony outrage, but not everyone is guilty of that.

Eddy on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

Aww, what's wrong? <3

League and Legends and [chat] combine to be ridiculous

I'm pretty sure nobody was bothered in a lasting way, I would not stress over it.

I recognize that the scale of it was small but it was after losing at League of Legends for like six hours

in increasingly ridiculous ways

like 0/13/2 Bandito Fidldesticks

so I am just at a fever pitch of annoyance

Tonight we shall solve problems through the applied use of violence and buildings.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I don't think I expressed outrage

I said I found the responses in the thread to be gross and depressing

and I found Mike and Jerry's behavior on the subject (especially Mike's) to be sort of tasteless and unbecoming

clearly I am still posting on their forum though, so

Fartacus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I don't even know what I say during gaming. Possibly bad things because apparently I am a really sore loser.

Next time ask them to use lube and go slow at first until you have gotten used to their girth.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    why would you want to say "I raped in Halo" or whatever

do you enjoy likening your experience to forcefully having sex with somebody else?

It could perhaps be argued that by having the word co-opted into the regular lexicon, its definition within that context would have increasingly less to do with the act of sexual rape, instead of a more generic, albeit still vulgar, term for besting someone decidedly.

Or I could just be blowing a shitload of smoke...

I don't care that some fucking retarded gamer decided it was fine to use it the way it is often used

I don't say it and I don't approve of anyone else using it that way

Well that's kind of my point I guess. You define the word in that context as a comparison to forcefully having sex with beating someone in a game. Perhaps the person using it does not? On the one hand I agree it's ok to point it out if it bothers you, but I think it's somewhat disengenuous to not at least understand why they might be using that word. I mean the gaming culture kind of reinforces these things, and we're not going to win any hearts over to being more politically correct with their language by calling them retards.....though they may very well be.

They can pretend to use it however they want but in the end the word has certain connotations and somebody, somewhere, wanted to translate them into gaming lexicon and somebody else, somewhere else, thought it was a good idea

Words have meaning and you can't just change them because you feel like it

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Next time ask them to use lube and go slow at first until you have gotten used to their girth.

I tell them not to sink the whole shaft in there. But they keep coming.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Gooey wrote: »

haha, this has probably been written sincerely on shakesville at least once

Fartacus on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I like to say 'we rolled them' or 'we wrecked them'

OMG, you're a demolitionist...buildings have rights too you know! You ever lost a buddy to the wrecking ball?

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

good for you?

This depends on if you view a predominantly gender-based social and cultural construct as being "perfectly natural". If a culture repeatedly articulates sexuality in terms of conquest and dominance then of course other examples of conquest and/or dominance will be sexualized by people. It really doesn't matter that much how blatantly that's expressed.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hey Jacob my mother is taking me out for dinner so I might be late for M&M, but I will be there.

:^: that works for me, Cass

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

The phoniest!

No, not really.

desc on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Charging at windmills is admirable, but when it becomes the defining trait of your persona, like Don Quixote, you just become a two-dimensional joke.

Eddy on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The cat seems to have rejected all her food, which makes sense since she expects biscuits in the morning.

This is a wonderful mental image. Thank you.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fartacus wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »

haha, this has probably been written sincerely on shakesville at least once

Now you're offending ... sincere people and uhhh shakers.

Yami: Driving jokes into the ground so you don't have to.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also, saying "we beat the other team" marginalizes abuse victims

you people sure are insensitive

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I didn't even know there was a shop. Almost.

And I never even saw a design for that shirt.

Whatever.

Honk on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

I would totally say that.

Winky on
  • Options