As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Soy Un [Chat]edor

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    I liked the dick wolf design and the joke, now I'm sad its no longer for sale. Am I engaged in phony outrage?

Oh, shit, yeah. I'm with Preach here.

That outrage at the joke and the shirt were... I don't really know how to phrase it. I guess it seemed like somebody was looking for something to be pissed off about.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Gooey wrote: »
    Also, saying "we beat the other team" marginalizes abuse victims

you people sure are insensitive

you sure are ridiculous

How so? He's using the exact same logic as you are with the word rape near as I can tell.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    I liked the dick wolf design and the joke, now I'm sad its no longer for sale. Am I engaged in phony outrage?

That outrage at the joke and the shirt were... I don't really know how to phrase it. I guess it seemed like somebody was looking for something to be pissed off about.

You're just propagating the rape culture with your casual misogyny

you're bad and you should feel bad!!!!!

etc etc

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Eddy wrote: »
    I'm just poking fun at how constantly outraged you appear about injustice and oppressive social structures. It's really, really funny seeing how you always harp on us for being racist and sexist and propagating the rape culture. Self-righteousness is just cute.

yeah sorry forgive me for giving a shit

sometimes you will meet people who are not indifferent to some of the shitty things in the world

in fact most people having something shitty in the world that they are passionate about, because it matters to them personally

sometimes this will be different from the thing that bothers you

that is life

you should probably learn to accept this and not immediately impugn someone's sincerity

I hope this isn't just a convenient way for you to rationalize away unpleasant arguments that have implications you don't care to think about (I think "white guilt" is a term used mainly for this purpose).

Fartacus on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dark_Side wrote: »

you sure are ridiculous

How so? He's using the exact same logic as you are with the word rape near as I can tell.

'Beat' has more than one meaning and context

'Rape' is pretty straightforward

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    I like women I like women
    I like the concept of a woman
    I like to take that concept
    and reduce it to an object
    and put those objects in my videos
    and make them shake they jiggly bits
    so that they looks like hoes

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

you sure are ridiculous

Language evolves though zombie, rape also means in a gaming context to lose or win by a large margin.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011

you sure are ridiculous

O'rly?

tait_rapeseed_450x338.jpg

Honk on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Internet just seems to find the word 'rape' hilarious. I guess when you're far removed enough from it it's just this absurd thing, almost ridiculous. I guess that changes when it happens to you or someone you know.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Lawndart wrote: »
    This depends on if you view a predominantly gender-based social and cultural construct as being "perfectly natural". If a culture repeatedly articulates sexuality in terms of conquest and dominance then of course other examples of conquest and/or dominance will be sexualized by people. It really doesn't matter that much how blatantly that's expressed.

it doesn't, eh? Can I look forward to being reminded of this the next time I gripe about my bank fucking me?

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm feeling comfortably tired. A personal feast will do this to a person.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    figurative - the wanton destruction or spoiling of a place or area

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    why would you want to say "I raped in Halo" or whatever

do you enjoy likening your experience to forcefully having sex with somebody else?

It could perhaps be argued that by having the word co-opted into the regular lexicon, its definition within that context would have increasingly less to do with the act of sexual rape, instead of a more generic, albeit still vulgar, term for besting someone decidedly.

Or I could just be blowing a shitload of smoke...

I don't care that some fucking retarded gamer decided it was fine to use it the way it is often used

I don't say it and I don't approve of anyone else using it that way

Well that's kind of my point I guess. You define the word in that context as a comparison to forcefully having sex with beating someone in a game. Perhaps the person using it does not? On the one hand I agree it's ok to point it out if it bothers you, but I think it's somewhat disengenuous to not at least understand why they might be using that word. I mean the gaming culture kind of reinforces these things, and we're not going to win any hearts over to being more politically correct with their language by calling them retards.....though they may very well be.

They can pretend to use it however they want but in the end the word has certain connotations and somebody, somewhere, wanted to translate them into gaming lexicon and somebody else, somewhere else, thought it was a good idea

Words have meaning and you can't just change them because you feel like it

i dunno about that, this type of hyperbole has been around since people started competing with each other for things its not just in gaming, everything from sports to school exams, i dont think anyone is changing is meaning of the word but the contextual usage of it in hyperbole is not a new one

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just want the damn shirt and now I can't buy it without spending ridiculous money.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm glad you give a shit, Fartacus. You really do make the world a better place, and I'm not just saying that flippantly.

It's just that when your entire persona is "giving a shit", and you're constantly charging at whatever windmill you decide is the biggest that day, it comes off as just some kind of psychological compulsion to make sure the world is as politically correct as it can possibly be, rather than you holding the actual beliefs that you profess. That's admirable, but naive to the point of ridicule to me.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

you sure are ridiculous

rape?

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Don't come at me and steal my joke Gooey I swear to GOD

Honk on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    DANG IT HONK

COME AT ME BRO

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I AM HERE BRO

Honk on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Yeah, I'm pretty sure "Rape the countryside" has been around longer than gaming culture.

And it doesn't necessarily mean they went out and raped every person in the country.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Gonna go to the store, buy a big old jug of rape oil.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    metal-folding-chair-blue_large1.jpg

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

you could say 'defeat' but then you'd be mocking the french

heyoooo

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Nobody gives a damn about the French.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure "Rape the countryside" has been around longer than gaming culture.

And it doesn't necessarily mean they went out and raped every person in the country.

I dunno man romans loved their rape, they even had rapeatoriums right next to the vomitoriums!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Lawndart wrote: »
    This depends on if you view a predominantly gender-based social and cultural construct as being "perfectly natural". If a culture repeatedly articulates sexuality in terms of conquest and dominance then of course other examples of conquest and/or dominance will be sexualized by people. It really doesn't matter that much how blatantly that's expressed.

it doesn't, eh? Can I look forward to being reminded of this the next time I gripe about my bank fucking me?

Well, actually, using the word "fucking" to describe a a negative, often violent non-sexual action or occurrence has the same root cultural cause as using "rape", but I can not remind you of that if it makes you feel any better.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Honk wrote: »
    Nobody gives a damn about the French.

screw the french

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Internet just seems to find the word 'rape' hilarious. I guess when you're far removed enough from it it's just this absurd thing, almost ridiculous. I guess that changes when it happens to you or someone you know.

I feel that this is the case with pretty much any terrible thing used in a context of hyperbole. You are far enough removed from it so when you say something like "I'm starving" or "we murdered that team" or you make holocaust jokes or something it continues to be funny because there is a significant element of unreality to those concepts. If someone has actually experienced one of those things then they become a reality to them and the hyperbole isn't funny anymore.

I don't think that there is anything fundamentally wrong with that sort of humor, only that you have to be very aware of people for who these sort of things are a reality and how they will react to your joking about something. When you're just joking amongst friends you can account for the experiences of the people around you, but in different contexts you could be seriously upsetting someone.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Seriously, when you are in the French alps you fear the Gendarmerie like you would the Gestapo. And the locals like you would their informants.

It is ever so clear that both parties actively hate that you are there.

Honk on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I dunno man romans loved their rape, they even had rapeatoriums right next to the vomitoriums!

but a vomitorium is just an exit corridor. EG: the hallways under the tiered seats in an ampitheatre....

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

You'd be amazed how many people have been raped, and still use the word under this context.

Well... maybe it's only the one.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

you sure are ridiculous

Though I hate being this guy......I count at least 3 separate definitions here. And admittedly I'm being rather particular, you do make a good point.
    –noun
    an act of sexual intercourse that is forced upon a person.
    the unlawful compelling of a person through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse.
    statutory rape.
    an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside.
    Archaic . the act of seizing and carrying off by force.

Regardless, it all comes back to my original point, is that the language of society changes over time, and words can come to take multiple or differing meanings, that even if you choose not accept, doesn't mean you get to judge everyone who may use it.

A good example is the use of funner and funnest...which is now basically excepted in most circles as ok. I struggled with that one for awhile.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

There are plenty of like this outside of the internet, I assure you. I had a supervisor who made a Jewish oven joke once.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

but a vomitorium is just an exit corridor. EG: the hallways under the tiered seats in an ampitheatre....

Hi riemann thats the joke...

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Eddy wrote: »
    FroThulhu wrote: »

You're just propagating the rape culture with your casual misogyny

you're bad and you should feel bad!!!!!

etc etc

listen it's not a hard concept to grasp

mike and jerry made a comic

I found the comic funny, as did many of us, but apparently a number of people significant enough to surprise mike and jerry felt surprisingly offended by it

mike and jerry responded by ridiculing those people, essentially telling them that their offense was irrational and they could fuck right off, and that they didn't deserve empathy or respect

personally, I found that to be very much in poor taste. I found the original comic perfectly within the bounds of staple PA humor, and not significantly misogynistic, but also people are perfectly entitled to be offended by it, especially if (gasp) their life experiences might differ from mine

then, to drive the point home, they made a shirt whose sole purpose was to demonstrate solidarity as a group, against people who might have been offended by the comic, including a lot of sexual assault victims, women, and feminists

not only "you don't deserve empathy; I will make no effort to understand you" but also "in fact, double-fuck you for having the audacity to try to tell me what to do. I'm gonna get a bunch of my friends together and we're going to make a point of showing you how much we won't do the things you tell us to do."

Which seemed even more tasteless

and then thankfully after calming down a bit, they took down the shirt, which was a nice and decent thing to do (though it could have been handled with a little less whining and passive-aggressiveness). I was happy about this, as were many people

this caused outrage and hate from a bunch of people who...what, exactly? At least mike and jerry's response, while inappropriate, is sort of understandable on a human level, right? No one likes being told they're racist, sexist, or a jerk, or mean, or from Pittsburgh, or any other serious allegation. And sometimes the first response when we are told those things is to lash out to discredit our critics, both for others and for our own benefit.

But...who the fuck are these onlookers? No one called them sexist. No one was offended by their comic.

And yet they're the ones -- not Mike and Jerry! -- expressing grave outrage at the fact that mike and jerry decided to show a little empathy for the people they offended, including a feeling of betrayal many fans who are also victims of sexual assault expressed when the second strip came out.

These hangers-on felt anger and hatred (if their words are any indication) at the fact that some basic respect and empathy had been extended

that's gross

Fartacus on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    I frequently make note of the English language's cursing having plenty of roots in bodily functions.

Swedish has religious roots in tons of its cursing.

Echo on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Winky wrote: »

I feel that this is the case with pretty much any terrible thing used in a context of hyperbole. You are far enough removed from it so when you say something like "I'm starving" or "we murdered that team" or you make holocaust jokes or something it continues to be funny because there is a significant element of unreality to those concepts. If someone has actually experienced one of those things then they become a reality to them and the hyperbole isn't funny anymore.

I don't think that there is anything fundamentally wrong with that sort of humor, only that you have to be very aware of people for who these sort of things are a reality and how they will react to your joking about something. When you're just joking amongst friends you can account for the experiences of the people around you, but in different contexts you could be seriously upsetting someone.

I mean this is where 'privilege' comes in. It's been so overused in the feminist blogosphere that its basically lost all meaning, but I mean

it's a privilege to be able to use the term 'rape' without being reminded, even a little, of your own rape.

Of course, as Fro reminds us, rape survivors are not a monolith. But this is from my perspective.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

The etymology is the other way around, in fact.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    $5 on the anteater!

Who's betting, let's get this going people

desc on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I make jewish jokes all the time, like at the store I said "I was afraid of Juice." and the checker looked at me kind of funny and I said "Juice you know like you drink, not jews, though I am scared about them taking over the media with their mind rays."

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.