Options

Latex [Chat]

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    Arch wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    Can I wear a suit with sneakers, Will?

oh yeah i also don't own anything but my trail running sneakers (i posted em in the sneaker thread) and a buncha skate shoes

why?

finding shoes that are nice and fit is a horrible horrible chore

dudes i can go to goodwill and not find a single nice piece of clothing that fits me

i can go for weeks

did you wear your sneakers and zooma pants to your grad school interviews?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    RUNNING SHOOZ

TELL ME, SEDENTARY MINIONS
    what are you running from

Elendil on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Winky wrote: »
    I want to redo my wardrobe.

Dudes link me some pictures of dudes in snazzy casual outfits.

Can do.
    NO!.jpg

I'm already wearing that.

Winky on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    I wonder if I still have a tie.

check your last dead hooker

I wouldn't kill my coworkers.

Cinders on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    RUNNING SHOOZ

YOU A BITCH

MikeMan on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The most amusing clothing-related thing to me right now is I need a tux for my wedding. I will be making one of the most important, everlasting commitments of my life in rented pants.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Elendil wrote: »
    RUNNING SHOOZ

I love you

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Irond Will wrote: »
    i am saying that a sport coat at a thrift store will run someone $5 or so

and it's something that, really. you should own anyways

if anyone really honestly is so hard up that they can't scrimp and save for a $5 sport coat then i am happy to spot you that money

So you're just talking business casual, right? Not formalwear?

i don't really like the term "business casual" because it can imply things that aren't appropriate to a nice dinner out.

i mean

it would be nice if people were able and willing to wear suits. it would be a fun, classy night out. i realize that it's not really possible or practical for everyone to wear a suit, and so i basically am just asking people to dress as respectfully as possible for a decent restaurant.

but apparently this bounces into barriers of "classism" and appeals to poverty from people who spend hundreds of dollars on figurines of cartoon characters.

dogg you literally called people who were resistant to this idea "slovenly" and made some crazy hyperbole
    If you are a dude, wear a fucking jacket and tie at least, preferably a suit as well

i am here telling you that equating people who don't want to wear a jacket and tie to people who wear cat ears and naruto tees is not cool

Arch on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I want to redo my wardrobe.

Dudes link me some pictures of dudes in snazzy casual outfits.

Can do.
    NO!.jpg

I'm already wearing that.

Me, too. High five.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Where is a good store to buy running shoes, relatively cheaply and without a bunch of shit shoes

and how do I know if the shoes are good for me without running in them

I ended up buying Nike Shox, and they work fine for me. I was doing 10 mile sessions in them before Winter Break (I'm down to 6 now, though, because I couldn't get to a gym for a while and regressed a bit).

Everyone tells me Shox are crap, though, and that the best place to buy shoes is at New Balance.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The most amusing clothing-related thing to me right now is I need a tux for my wedding. I will be making one of the most important, everlasting commitments of my life in rented pants.

That's much funnier to read if you're English.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    poshniallo wrote: »

if anyone really honestly is so hard up that they can't scrimp and save for a $5 sport coat then i am happy to spot you that money

i don't really like the term "business casual" because it can imply things that aren't appropriate to a nice dinner out.

i mean

it would be nice if people were able and willing to wear suits. it would be a fun, classy night out. i realize that it's not really possible or practical for everyone to wear a suit, and so i basically am just asking people to dress as respectfully as possible for a decent restaurant.

but apparently this bounces into barriers of "classism" and appeals to poverty from people who spend hundreds of dollars on figurines of cartoon characters.

Your point could be made more effectively with less snark, young man.

particularly when some of those people are part of the discussion you are currently having. Poor form in my book

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    I'd be more annoyed that someone told me how to dress and that I had to limit myself to a suit.

this is mostly what i'm running into here i think

by asking people to dress a certain way, it's squelching their unique identity

only it's being masqueraded as a lot of other bullshit

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Can I wear a suit with sneakers, Will?

oh yeah i also don't own anything but my trail running sneakers (i posted em in the sneaker thread) and a buncha skate shoes

why?

finding shoes that are nice and fit is a horrible horrible chore

dudes i can go to goodwill and not find a single nice piece of clothing that fits me

i can go for weeks

did you wear your sneakers and zooma pants to your grad school interviews?

yes!

i got accepted

i was wearing cargo pants will

cargo pants

Arch on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    guys Will is the voice for middle america usually
    this isn't a new phenomenon

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't see how people can go without owning a suit for at least occaisional formal outings. Nor do I understand the pushback on wanting people to leave t-shirts and jeans behind for a single evening.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MikeMan wrote: »
    RUNNING SHOOZ

YOU A BITCH

D:! YOU ARE THE BITCH HERE

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

i mean

dogg you literally called people who were resistant to this idea "slovenly" and made some crazy hyperbole
    If you are a dude, wear a fucking jacket and tie at least, preferably a suit as well

i am here telling you that equating people who don't want to wear a jacket and tie to people who wear cat ears and naruto tees is not cool

I mean it is fine as a joke but when called on it one should say "yeah I don't actually equate those things I was being hyperbolic because my experience with this crowd has been so frustrating in the past," not STOP SPENDING ALL YOUR MONEY ON ACTION FIGURES.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    what is the deal with nerds and refusing to dress up?

what is the problem?

what is the rationale for making the keystone of one's personal identity "slovenly"?

why?

Seriously, Will? You're going to get all catty on me? You ate lunch with me when I was wearing a suit and we had this discussion last year.

I pack light. I don't want to pack my suit because it's bulky, it'll take it's own bag and it's also the only suit I own. I don't want it to get ruined if some drunk bumps into me with their drink. Putting a button down shirt, a pair of khakis and some black socks into my bag is a lot fucking easier than carrying that god damn suit around for 3 days when I'm going to be wearing it for 4-6 hours.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    MikeMan wrote: »
    RUNNING SHOOZ

YOU A BITCH

D:! YOU ARE THE BITCH HERE

amusingly my last really expensive article of clothing was my running shoes

saloman makes a nice shoe, but they are fucking

expensive

Arch on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'd be more annoyed that someone told me how to dress and that I had to limit myself to a suit.

I tend to wear argyle sweater vests and button ups with slacks and nice shoes more than I ever wear suits. I think the only jacket I own is a tweed-elbow corduroy that I wear for hilarity.

• Options
    edited February 2011
    I guess I could get a sports coat at a thrift store, but I wouldn't know how to pick the right one. Honestly, the idea of shopping for proper clothes petrifies me.

let me know when you have some time and i'd be happy to go with you

also: you planning on coming to the dinner? i don't think i've seen you sign up yet

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Srsly guys.

What kind of clothes should I go out and buy?

Need pix.

Winky on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    Not enough restaurants hand you a bucket as you enter. "Take enough to fill your bucket, then retire to one of the beanbags and begin eating."

that place would do huge business at PAX

I know. I feel I should email Khoo about it and see if he'll kick me 5% of the profits.

"EAT AT NERD BUCKET! BOOK A 4-MAN TROUGH NOW! FREE BIB WITH EVERY 4 GALLOON TUBE OF CHOCOLATE PASTE!"

Bogart on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2011

i'd be incredibly fascinated to hear what you know about middle america

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This guy didn't wear a tie all week.

s-fashions.jpg

Where'd he get his fashion? The ... toilet ... store?

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

i mean

I wore a sport coat and tie every day to class in high school. Even buying shit new for everyday wear is easily within reach of the lower middle class. It's not much more expensive than casual clothing, unless all you wear is fallapart shit from Old Navy.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dude Will people are flying across the country for this and sometimes it's just not practical to neatly fold and shove in a nice suit with and extra pair of nice shoes

I know if I was able to go I would be taking the bus and I would want to pack as lightly as possible

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    edited February 2011

A lot of what you are running into is not that

Your policy seems to ignore legitimate views as an outlier and keep ranting about the other crap you have to deal with. Which I would say is reasonable except you should probably take more care to differentiate between "yeah I don't own nice clothes and I do actually check out thrift stores" and cat ears, naruto tees, and action figures

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    ronaldo your post made me laugh

Arch on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    Eww, pinkish-white shirts.

Echo on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    All I know is Will's presence made me very self-conscious about that dinner in NYC.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    This guy didn't wear a tie all week.

s-fashions.jpg

Where'd he get his fashion? The ... toilet ... store?

Tuesday is the day he is full of disdain

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    A lot of my upper-body garments are from JC Penneys, from excursions made in Florida and New York. (Chicago's stuff had terrible colours)

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Will is cruel, but fair.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    First page of GIS for "sport coat": nothing but hideousness.

Echo on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think Will just likes to troll people about this.

It's his mod thing and he enjoys it.

You're better off just ignoring him because he won't address what you say, he'll just go on about Naruto and manchildren until you find yourself forgetting all his many other good points.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »

i'd be incredibly fascinated to hear what you know about middle america
    generally repeated truisms that really have no identifiable origin but are constantly mimicked by straight culture and straight people over and over and over until they are driven insane

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Winky, the fashion thread has some good advice

and some fashion people that wear things that would primarily be appreciated by other fashion people, but that's OK too.

TL DR on
This discussion has been closed.