Options

[RIFT] of the Fortress (Out Now, Guild Info in OP)

• Options
    ZaruelZaruel Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Zaruel wrote: »
    Astale wrote: »
    Okay, just saw my first Rift tv commercial. Wtf? Seriously?

They're going with the "we're not in Azeroth anymore" tagline for the general audience? Cause ripping on WoW has gone so well for other games. Gods.

And mind you I hate WoW, but trying to campaign directly against them is pretty suicidal.

"We're not in Azeroth anymore"

"We're not in Kansas anymore Toto"
    And this negates his point how?

There's no ripping, there is no hostility. It's actually a clever advertisement simply saying that you'll be in a familiar but strange new place.

Zaruel on
  • Options
    VampireCactusVampireCactus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    know what sucks? I picked Saboteur as my favorite class as soon as I heard about just because it sounded cool and different and I love the steampunky/engineery/trickstery feel of it. Now I get the feeling that everyone that sees me in PVP (or anywhere else, I guess) assumes I picked it because it's so good.

NERF SABOTEUR SO I CAN BE SPECIAL

the same thing to a lesser extent with Bard.

VampireCactus on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

They're going with the "we're not in Azeroth anymore" tagline for the general audience? Cause ripping on WoW has gone so well for other games. Gods.

And mind you I hate WoW, but trying to campaign directly against them is pretty suicidal.

There's no ripping, there is no hostility. It's actually a clever advertisement simply saying that you'll be in a familiar but strange new place.

And I just fucking realized my buddy didn't log himself the hell out prior to me getting on. Fucking hell.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Oh I know. It's just that "not in Kansas anymore" would have been a VASTLY better idea. Because to the general audience such a commercial looks the same as a new burger chain going "move away from the golden arches!". It's really tacky and usually repels people more than it draws in sometimes.

Plus the commercial was like a few attacks and GUY RIDING A HORSE. It was a terrible showcase of what the game has to offer, and smacks of a marketer who hasn't even played the game he's pitching.

Basically I think their advertising team sucks.

Astale on
  • Options
    sanddemonsanddemon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So been trying to play around with mage souls and getting the most powerful single hit (all while staying under level 31 since I am 31 heh). What I have so far...

Dominator 17, Chloro 8, Pyromancer 16

Instant Sheep for Controlled Opportunity (+50% damage for one hit)
    Entropic Veil buff (+19%)
    Ground of Power buff (+10%)
    Burning Bright passive (+3%)
    Fire Armor buff (+5%)
    Internalize Charge buff (+20%)
    Cinder Burst (205 damage, 6 sec cast)

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zsRI.MsmzVz.x0h.ebz0uo

Got any better ideas?

sanddemon on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Oh I know. It's just that "not in Kansas anymore" would have been a VASTLY better idea. Because to the general audience such a commercial looks the same as a new burger chain going "move away from the golden arches!". It's really tacky and usually repels people more than it draws in sometimes.

Plus the commercial was like a few attacks and GUY RIDING A HORSE. It was a terrible showcase of what the game has to offer, and smacks of a marketer who hasn't even played the game he's pitching.

It comes across as "Here, you'll have more fun with us than WoW." Considering at this point every game attempting to market itself as directly competing with WoW has fallen flat for me, this was enough for me to decide I'd rather not bother if that's their angle. Luckily I was really bored last night and digged around, changed my mind.

The point is, maybe hype your game in other ways than "This is gonna be a whole lot better than that other one."

Docshifty on
  • Options
    HiravaxisHiravaxis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So this game is good, right?
    Or do I come back in a month and ask again?

Hiravaxis on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Docshifty wrote: »

It comes across as "Here, you'll have more fun with us than WoW." Considering at this point every game attempting to market itself as directly competing with WoW has fallen flat for me, this was enough for me to decide I'd rather not bother if that's their angle. Luckily I was really bored last night and digged around, changed my mind.

The point is, maybe hype your game in other ways than "This is gonna be a whole lot better than that other one."

Doc, where ARE you? (What server/faction)

Also, ECHO... Re: no one saving healers....

I did Black Garden as a Bard, and I had one warrior on me for literally 75% of the match, and I was using him to heal my team, and he was getting heals....

It was this massive bullshit deadlock that honestly benefitted me a lot more than it did him. I didn't die at all in that match, and I topped the healing charts by a fair amount.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    know what sucks? I picked Saboteur as my favorite class as soon as I heard about just because it sounded cool and different and I love the steampunky/engineery/trickstery feel of it. Now I get the feeling that everyone that sees me in PVP (or anywhere else, I guess) assumes I picked it because it's so good.

It seems like Sabs are only great because people aren't paying attention and no one's healing. They're still pretty damn good, though.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hiravaxis wrote: »
    So this game is good, right?
    Or do I come back in a month and ask again?

It's already really good

Has been since pretty early Beta, actually

Maddoc on
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Shadowfire wrote: »

It seems like Sabs are only great because people aren't paying attention and no one's healing. They're still pretty damn good, though.

Sabs are only great because burst is really great in pvp. If it takes you a while to set up thats fine if 2 of you can burst down a cleric before they can cast a single thing to counter it. :p

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Dunno, where would everyone be!? I made a defiant on Faeblight but I'm not sure which server everyones playing on most so.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Depends on what you want, Doc. Do /join PennyArcade and have someone invite you into the guild.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Damn it, I went to start my download again after closing it out to do other things on the internet and it started all the way over :(

M.D. on
  • Options
    sanddemonsanddemon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Take that back, found a better build:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zs_I.McV0V..ebzbuus0o

950 damage in a single hit, non-crit on a sheeped target :)

sanddemon on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bullhead wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »
    Hey, I can see Gloamwood from here!

<snip>

We heard you like seafood, so we sent you a giant shrimp.
    (Also, my new UI)
    <snip>

Very nice - do you just have the pet bar hidden entirely?

Also did you rebind 1-0 to another bar to hide the big frame around action bar 1?

The pet bar actually hides itself when you are on a mount, but I'm thinking of actually hiding the pet bar and just putting the few commands I need to use on a regular bar. No reason for more clutter.

And yes, the main bar is actually mostly off the screen in the bottom right, so just the XP bar is showing. I've rebound all the main keys to a regular ability bar instead. I have all 10 possible ability bars used up there.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Went exploring yesterday. Took some decent screens I think:
    Click the thumbnails to enlarge.
    th_rift2011-03-0501-04-21-11.jpg
    We went to the top of the world.

th_rift2011-03-0501-06-38-25.jpg
    Group photo!

th_rift2011-03-0502-26-29-76.jpg
    Difficult to tell from the picture here, but we're like half a mile below the surface of the Lake of Solace. Thank god for water breathing.

th_rift2011-03-0501-35-45-65.jpg
    Here we are in lovely Silverwood! Just outside some settlement. Keep in mind, the people in my party are all Eth.

More shenanigans from yesterday.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Black Garden really does revolve almost entirely around how many healers you have.

I'd be more bothered by this if I didn't play Chloromancer and Bard.

I tried out straight dominator for the first time and the anti-cleric abilities are splendid

Now what to do about those damned bards

override367 on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Dunno, where would everyone be!? I made a defiant on Faeblight but I'm not sure which server everyones playing on most so.

That's where I'm at, Brodawg.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    edited March 2011

That's where I'm at, Brodawg.

Well then it appears my precognitive abilities still work!

I'm gonna make another person though. Saboteur just sounds too awesome to not try.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    RP is serious shit.

PokeRP.jpg

Morvidus on
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I've been playing for a day or so on and off, and maybe it's just Defiant side but I'm really not impressed with the zone progression so far.

The only trainers for skills are in the first few outposts, and not all the crafting tables are in the same outpost, so you have to run back and forth to craft in the beginning. Then, for the next 4-5 outposts there are no trainers to be found. I was really struggling by the time I got to Meridian, at which point I found out I was as many as 2 ranks behind in my skills, simply because the game didn't provide me with any trainers. There also weren't any crafting stations outside of the third outpost (on the coast) so my bags had been filling with crafting materials.

It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to either have a taxi system to the capital, so you can do important things like crafting or training when necessary, or at least have a basic trainer + worktables at every other outpost. Stuff like that should just be a no-brainer these days, and the constant running back and forth just feels tedious.

Also, I didn't get to check before the server kicked me off, but are you able to take multiple quests for new souls at once? It would be a huge pain if I have to go out of meridian, hunt down a rift and run all the way back 5 times, rather than just doing it in one fell swoop.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    ChronocideChronocide Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm downloading this as we speak, thinking about rolling a Rogue with first soul as Marksman. Is this a good idea and what are good backup souls?

Chronocide on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's just Freemarch. It's a bit weirdly and non-sensical in it's design.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Everything is much better once you get out of Freemarch. You can only have one soul quest at a time, but that's just a nitpick. Once you enter a new zone, you'll gain maybe one level before running into the zone's porticulum, and there are class trainers at the outposts. If yours isn't at one, it will probably be at the next. I usually got so wrapped up in the quests that I forgot I even leveled.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Silverwood is much better designed with a centralized hub in Argent Glade. They have high level north, low level south, and mid levels to the east and north east. Freemarch on the otherhand is goddamn terribly designed with everything you want at the north, all the progression going from low levels near the town to high levels all the way at the south end of the zone. I guess they figured having Meridian in the center would somewhat make up for it, but without a goddamn Port anywhere else in Freemarch, Meridian being centralized just puts every other hub in the zone a good run away no matter where you need to quest. Its very very poorly designed in comparison to Guardian's first zone.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Morvidus wrote: »
    Everything is much better once you get out of Freemarch. You can only have one soul quest at a time, but that's just a nitpick. Once you enter a new zone, you'll gain maybe one level before running into the zone's porticulum, and there are class trainers at the outposts. If yours isn't at one, it will probably be at the next. I usually got so wrapped up in the quests that I forgot I even leveled.

I dunno, that's a pretty damn big nitpick in my eyes. That means it's going to take me several hours of running around just so I can fill out my souls and get another role, depending on how easily I'm able to find rifts. Not to mention the constant running without a taxi system.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm getting terrible flashbacks of vanilla WoW and spending 50% of my game time running in a straight line so I could actually do something.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I have never once felt that I was "running around too much" outside of Freemarch. And even that was trivialized once I got my mount.
    The zones are really well made and everywhere you turn you find something to do/collect/kill.
    The ONLY traveling problem I have is the aggro range on low level mobs and how easy you get dismounted.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just bought this! I'll be making my Defiant character on Argent! In beta I played a several different specs but I still can't decide! Too much choice!

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Riale wrote: »
    So I've been playing for a day or so on and off, and maybe it's just Defiant side but I'm really not impressed with the zone progression so far.

The only trainers for skills are in the first few outposts, and not all the crafting tables are in the same outpost, so you have to run back and forth to craft in the beginning. Then, for the next 4-5 outposts there are no trainers to be found. I was really struggling by the time I got to Meridian, at which point I found out I was as many as 2 ranks behind in my skills, simply because the game didn't provide me with any trainers. There also weren't any crafting stations outside of the third outpost (on the coast) so my bags had been filling with crafting materials.

It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to either have a taxi system to the capital, so you can do important things like crafting or training when necessary, or at least have a basic trainer + worktables at every other outpost. Stuff like that should just be a no-brainer these days, and the constant running back and forth just feels tedious.

Also, I didn't get to check before the server kicked me off, but are you able to take multiple quests for new souls at once? It would be a huge pain if I have to go out of meridian, hunt down a rift and run all the way back 5 times, rather than just doing it in one fell swoop.

Freemarch is stupid like that. It gets better

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Just bought this! I'll be making my Defiant character on Argent! In beta I played a several different specs but I still can't decide! Too much choice!

Are you looking to join our guild? :D

If so, I won't be online today, but you can do a /who Planary Arcadia and whisper whoever is online since I gave all of them invite permission :D

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    My warrior is fun. I have decided this is who I shall play. Strange.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am playing a cleric. I have no goddamn idea what I'm doing. However, I'm having fun.

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Smoldering Blades doesn't seem to proc off fiery spike. If it is proccing off fiery spike, it's doing an awful job of it. I don't think I've ever gotten up to 5 stacks.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Im defying people on sunrest, noob area doesn't seem that bad but then again I am neutral to the whole realistic art style anyway.

I am actively looking for dudes who can make me have six mouths. My name is Twilyght, because 3 other versions of the name were taken -_-

Kai_San on
  • Options
    SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Riale wrote: »
    Morvidus wrote: »

I dunno, that's a pretty damn big nitpick in my eyes. That means it's going to take me several hours of running around just so I can fill out my souls and get another role, depending on how easily I'm able to find rifts. Not to mention the constant running without a taxi system.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm getting terrible flashbacks of vanilla WoW and spending 50% of my game time running in a straight line so I could actually do something.
    For reference, when I did mine, it took me maybe half an hour to get all the souls (not counting time actually on the rifts, which would double the time I suspect). Some of the rifts I got to in time to just barely make copper in the last stage, but that's enough to you the quest item.

Other zones are also much better laid out than freemarch. Complete with the port for the zone being roughly in the center of the zone.

Syrdon on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It shouldn't take you more than five minutes per soul you want to unlock. But it's not designed with people in mind who want to straight up unlock every single soul. Decide what you want to try and unlock that, instead, if a few minutes per soul is really that tedious. There is almost always a rift or two within a 30 second run from the Meridian stairs.

I actually kind of wish each soul unlock was a unique quest. Like, for Ranger you had to go find a rare wolf in the woods or some silly shit. For sab, you have to go drown yourself in the lake and then log off.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    poor sabriel, he gets no love.

Angry on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Sabriel gets plenty of love, from people trying to log into his account from remote sessions.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Im defying people on sunrest, noob area doesn't seem that bad but then again I am neutral to the whole realistic art style anyway.

I am actively looking for dudes who can make me have six mouths. My name is Twilyght, because 3 other versions of the name were taken -_-

Try /join pennyarcade and ask to be invited!

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
This discussion has been closed.