Options

Mass Effect: Blue Öyster Cult was wrong.

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    evilthecat wrote: »
    Auberon wrote: »
    sooo did anyone else think arrival sorta "broke" the me story so far?
    ignoring the minor plot holes for a second .. if the reapers can simply FTL into the milky way, what was the point of me1 and me2. Furthermore, from me3 previews we know that the reapers have husked several other races. It's not a stretch to assume that there are loads of reaper relics about indoctrinating people. The collectors are basically irrelevant as the reapers can apparently easily create new foot soldiers.

why is this all so poorly constructed/explained?!
    The galaxy is big: FTL drives are only used for getting around systems; relays are for zipping around the galaxy. ME1 was to prevent the reapers from accessing the citadel, where they could have knocked out a lot of government and military forces, and then carved up the rest of the galaxy at their leisure. The collectors were producing a new reaper, not husks. Even the geth can make husks. Why the reapers have the collectors make reapers, how they made reapers before turning protheans into the collectors, or if they can make reapers themselves, I don't think has been made clear.
    you .. don't seem to have read what I wrote.
    The reapers can still take out the citadel, as they've simply FTL'ed to the milkyway over the course of 2 years instead of being reverse-mass-relay'ed there by the citadel. Your efforts in me1 were for naught.
    The reaper in me2 makes even less sense now. Imo it was originally being built to go retake the citadel, but the reaper fleet was imminently arriving anyway. I ask myself what was the point of all of this.
    My husk statement refers to the fact that the reapers need some sort of foot solder/manual labour to load organics into goo pods. The collectors are dead but who cares, they have relics all over the place and can simply churn out husks.

I suppose me1 isn't broken as much by arrival as me2 is.

@scarab:

I can appreciate the delaying tactics but as I've said, considering the reapers were going to arrive earlier that the collector's could build the replacement sov., what was the point of that exercise. And still, there's nothing stopping them from FTLing from the atlas system to the citadel. The council still doesn't believe shepard about the reapers, it's not like they're going to react in a timely manner to a huge reaper ball.

Probably has something to do with their mysterious and unknown motives. We know they harvest stuff. For what reason? Maybe we'll never know. But what we do know is that their Plan A is more efficient and effective at doing so, giving them more slave races, more intact worlds to plunder.

Conflagrating the entire galaxy in an unwinnable resistance war probably ruins their lunch. I dunno. When you're outside of time, outside of space you have no need to rush. The inevitable can wait. Clearly they have decided enough is enough, hence why they attack Earth first, seeing as it was humans that destroyed Sovereign, humans who stopped the Collectors, and humans who are uniting the races under their banner.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I have lost track of how many good dlcs there are for this game.

Which are they, and how many MS funbucks would be required?

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I have lost track of how many good dlcs there are for this game.

Which are they, and how many MS funbucks would be required?

Overlord, Kasumi, Shadow Broker, Arrival. All worth the price of admission.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think we have to give the series some slack on the whole Reapers thing. When Sovereign was destroyed, they were less threatened than they were intrigued by Shepard and yoomanity, hence the
    human-reaper larva. They're pulling a Borg and attempting to add our uniqueness- because for no real reason at all, we're special- to their own. So when Shep comes back from the dead and ruins that shit, only at that point do they feel it's necessary to invade in earnest.
    I still don't get the impression that they're threatened by Shepard. But he's totally ruined their plans, and they're fed up toying with him.

If they were perfectly rational, they probably would have initiated a harvest as soon as Sovereign bit it, to minimize the risk. But up to the end of ME2, they were pursuing secondary goals, which would be creating new reapers and fucking with us.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What's a word to describe fan art that is less talimaniac's wet dream and more of a Michael Bay hard on with explosions, gunfire, and a lot of dirty faces caught in mid yell?

Because I want to see more of the latter.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What's a word to describe fan art that is less talimaniac's wet dream and more of a Michael Bay hard on with explosions, gunfire, and a lot of dirty faces caught in mid yell?

Because I want to see more of the latter.

"I have to go" by Rubber Ducky:

__I_have_to_go_____by_Rub_a_Duckie.jpg

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If Reapers
    reproduce
    through what was found in ME2, then that might be the cause of these cullings....but they aren't wraith and they aren't Daleks.....needs more information....can Batman interrogate a reaper.

also. YEeeesssssss! More!!!

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Auberon wrote: »
    sooo did anyone else think arrival sorta "broke" the me story so far?
    ignoring the minor plot holes for a second .. if the reapers can simply FTL into the milky way, what was the point of me1 and me2. Furthermore, from me3 previews we know that the reapers have husked several other races. It's not a stretch to assume that there are loads of reaper relics about indoctrinating people. The collectors are basically irrelevant as the reapers can apparently easily create new foot soldiers.

why is this all so poorly constructed/explained?!
    The galaxy is big: FTL drives are only used for getting around systems; relays are for zipping around the galaxy. ME1 was to prevent the reapers from accessing the citadel, where they could have knocked out a lot of government and military forces, and then carved up the rest of the galaxy at their leisure. The collectors were producing a new reaper, not husks. Even the geth can make husks. Why the reapers have the collectors make reapers, how they made reapers before turning protheans into the collectors, or if they can make reapers themselves, I don't think has been made clear.
    you .. don't seem to have read what I wrote.
    The reapers can still take out the citadel, as they've simply FTL'ed to the milkyway over the course of 2 years instead of being reverse-mass-relay'ed there by the citadel. Your efforts in me1 were for naught.
    The reaper in me2 makes even less sense now. Imo it was originally being built to go retake the citadel, but the reaper fleet was imminently arriving anyway. I ask myself what was the point of all of this.
    My husk statement refers to the fact that the reapers need some sort of foot solder/manual labour to load organics into goo pods. The collectors are dead but who cares, they have relics all over the place and can simply churn out husks.

I suppose me1 isn't broken as much by arrival as me2 is.

@scarab:

I can appreciate the delaying tactics but as I've said, considering the reapers were going to arrive earlier that the collector's could build the replacement sov., what was the point of that exercise. And still, there's nothing stopping them from FTLing from the atlas system to the citadel. The council still doesn't believe shepard about the reapers, it's not like they're going to react in a timely manner to a huge reaper ball.

Probably has something to do with their mysterious and unknown motives. We know they harvest stuff. For what reason? Maybe we'll never know. But what we do know is that their Plan A is more efficient and effective at doing so, giving them more slave races, more intact worlds to plunder.

Conflagrating the entire galaxy in an unwinnable resistance war probably ruins their lunch. I dunno. When you're outside of time, outside of space you have no need to rush. The inevitable can wait. Clearly they have decided enough is enough, hence why they attack Earth first, seeing as it was humans that destroyed Sovereign, humans who stopped the Collectors, and humans who are uniting the races under their banner.

I don't think earth is going to be "first", I'm assuming they'll spread their numbers out and hit everyone. I can't remember if it was vergil but someone states that the reapers are billions of years old, if they harvest every 50000 years then they number in the 10000s, no fleet is going to be able to stand up to that noise.

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I think it was mentioned that the Reaper invasion begins with Earth.

Plus, to Commander Shepard there's no such thing as an unwinnable battle. Just battles he hasn't fought yet.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Plus, to Commander Shepard there's no such thing as an unwinnable battle. Just battles he hasn't fought yet.

Because he has protagonist powers?

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Because he has protagonist powers?

Pretty much. And his/her powers only grow with every new game/DLC

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Reaper plans explanations!
    The Citadel portal is their most efficient way of doing things. Pop in with absolutely no warning, immediately take out the central government, control the hub of the relay network, cripple communications, and gain information about every inhabited world.

The Collectors were originally just there to research genetic anomalies and judge species' potential, and were never any kind of military force. After Sovereign's failure, they began pre-emptively gathering humans to build another reaper. This reaper could potentially be a second vanguard. However, the reapers operated two back-up plans at once. They started FTLing into the edge of the galaxy right after Sovereign's failure, and just got to the Viper nebula after 2-3 years. The Alpha Relay could zip them across the galaxy, but it's not nearly as effective as the Citadel Portal.

Even with that relay destroyed, the reapers can still FTL to other relays. This is slow as shit, and now the Collectors can't even operate the other backup plan while they move. If the Council wasn't dumb, this would give us a lot of time to prepare. But they are, so we're fucked.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    -Tal summarizes most of what I was going to say, but I'd add...
    That the Reapers have probably been FTL'ing for at least a few hundred years as of ME1 - probably thousands. Vigil strongly implies that the invasion should have already happened, but the Prothean research team disabled the signal. I think the email you get from that Salarian implies the same.

So presumably, they've been hauling ass through dark space for a long time now - hence the showing up around the same time they clearly had activated "plan B" with the Collectors, which I'd say was a result of them realizing that there was a decent chance the Citadel might be able to be used to shutdown Mass Relays within the galaxy (ME1 notes this is what it does) and thus severely mess with the Reaper invasion plan.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well, that's a bummer. Starting a Female Shepard from scratch means that Wrex is dead. Are there still a bunch of ME1 saves out on the intertron somewhere ?

Fairchild on
  • Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Well, that's a bummer. Starting a Female Shepard from scratch means that Wrex is dead. Are there still a bunch of ME1 saves out on the intertron somewhere ?

www.masseffectsaves.com

Emporium on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    http://www.masseffectsaves.com/

Enjoy!

edit:

Because I am too slow, I will discuss how much of a badass my level 20 Insanity Vanguard is.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Oh, where do I save that save so ME2 can find it ?

EDIT- Note that you need to download BOTH the Save and Character files for ME2 to import the saved game.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Oh, where do I save that save so ME2 can find it ?

It has been a while since I've done this, but I believe that the save is supposed to go in your Mass Effect 1 saves file, then use the ME2 launcher tool to import it into ME2.

Emporium on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What level can i expect to realistically hit in me1?
    If you import into 2, do you continue from there or are you back to lvl 1?

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Back to Level 1, altho you may start the game at Level 2 if you've finished ME2 already and have a bunch of bonus XP.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you import an ME1 save, your level will vary depending on the level you reached in ME1 (I think the low end is level 3, and if you hit level 60 in ME1 you start at level 5).

One run in ME1 should net you into the mid-50s if you do everything; if you're doing a quick run through, maybe the high 40s low 50s.

Dunno if you're just doing the 15 hour "I want to finish as quickly as possible" run though.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    That the Reapers have probably been FTL'ing for at least a few hundred years as of ME1 - probably thousands. Vigil strongly implies that the invasion should have already happened, but the Prothean research team disabled the signal. I think the email you get from that Salarian implies the same.

So presumably, they've been hauling ass through dark space for a long time now - hence the showing up around the same time they clearly had activated "plan B" with the Collectors, which I'd say was a result of them realizing that there was a decent chance the Citadel might be able to be used to shutdown Mass Relays within the galaxy (ME1 notes this is what it does) and thus severely mess with the Reaper invasion plan.

Counterpoint: End of Me2 that shot implies the other Reapers are 'waking up', in that each lights up their 'eyes' one after another on Harbinger's command. Generally implying that at the end of Me2 they are no longer 'waiting' but are 'coming to get us'.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Orca wrote: »
    Dunno if you're just doing the 15 hour "I want to finish as quickly as possible" run though.

It can be done in 4 hours. :D

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    moocow wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »

It can be done in 4 hours. :D

Most people don't.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That game informer article says that
    the Reapers invade during the middle off the trial, and Shepad escapes to the Normandy,
    but I hope we get to see quite a bit of the trial before that happens , because I think it could be comedy gold.

Judge: "Commander Shepard, you are charged with conspiring with a known terrorist organization. unlawful use of an A.I. Numerous counts of murder. Torture. Assaulting a member of the press, twice. And wanton destruction of property. How do you plead?"

Shepard: "I don't plead, I tell."

Ad astra on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Counterpoint: End of Me2 that shot implies the other Reapers are 'waking up', in that each lights up their 'eyes' one after another on Harbinger's command. Generally implying that at the end of Me2 they are no longer 'waiting' but are 'coming to get us'.

Except that you can do Arrival before the ending, and it would probably take the reapers more than a few weeks/months to get to the Viper Nebula. Even 2-3 years is a little fast, I think, depending on how far out they were. The reapers were still in motion even as they lit up, maybe they were just taking a nap or something.

I don't think they've been FTLing for thousands of years though, because they still expected Sovereign to open the portal.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'm actually kinda annoyed/worried Earth is getting attacked. It provides an emotional impact more than some random fictional alien world being bombed.

Already I can feel a sense of urgency to the game.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jazz wrote: »
    Anyone heard anything about a collectors edition (hah! see wut i did thar?) of ME3 yet?

Fun fact:

ME1 had a Collector's Edition.

ME2 had a Collectors' Edition.

Note the subtle difference. Bioware's way ahead of you. ;-)
    Whats Cryo ammo good for? I never found myself using it. (In ME2)

I found it pretty useful playing Infiltrator. Disruptor for synthetics, cryo for organics. Shattering krogan is fun.

Well blow me down, kill me in 40 years and call me a Salarian! I did not notice that! Those scallywags at bioware shall feel the wrath of my vengeance!

TerminatorShepard.jpg

Ok I lied, bioware you have my wallet. :( Do not tease meh....

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    -Tal wrote: »

Except that you can do Arrival before the ending, and it would probably take the reapers more than a few weeks/months to get to the Viper Nebula. Even 2-3 years is a little fast, I think, depending on how far out they were. The reapers were still in motion even as they lit up, maybe they were just taking a nap or something.

I don't think they've been FTLing for thousands of years though, because they still expected Sovereign to open the portal.

the reapers made the mass relays. i'm guessing they can use some kind of superFTL or something that allows them to go really really fast. we're all still thinking within the paradigms the reapers made!

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Didn't the Reapers go out to the ass-end of Dark Space just so they wouldn't be bothered while sleeping?

I'm guessing they probably didn't built to many mass relays around that area because of that.

That being said...yeah, I wonder how fast they can go regular speed.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm actually kinda annoyed/worried Earth is getting attacked. It provides an emotional impact more than some random fictional alien world being bombed.

the game OPENS with earth getting wrecked. that's even more motivation than saren smugging around after eden prime. either the earth blows up in the first few hours of the game, or the earth is repurposed into a reaper base of sorts and you have to invade it at the end. that's balls, bioware.

Nuzak on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So, how good is arrival?

I mean I'm going to pick it up anyway, but are we talking Shadowbroker or Pinnacle Station?

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Leitner wrote: »
    So, how good is arrival?

I mean I'm going to pick it up anyway, but are we talking Shadowbroker or Pinnacle Station?

I'd put it around Overlord.

Not great, not bad, but solid.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Nuzak wrote: »

the game OPENS with earth getting wrecked. that's even more motivation than saren smugging around after eden prime. either the earth blows up in the first few hours of the game, or the earth is repurposed into a reaper base of sorts and you have to invade it at the end. that's balls, bioware.

Exactly. It's like Halo 2 except done right.

Flee Earth in the first act. Second act is finding the MacGuffin, third act has you returning to find it in ruins and fuck yeah! we get to take it back, bitches!

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    DarisDaris Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You would be safe reading about the events of arrival. It's nothing special. Top to bottom.

Daris on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ivan Shepard does not approve of capitalist Reapers invading mother Russia.

Many, many field executions will be required.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    ForumiteForumite Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    I want to be able to talk at least one reaper into suicide

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    How long would it take to bring ME up to ME2 standards?

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    TALI CAN'T HAVE A NICKNAME IN ME1 BECAUSE SHE DOESN'T HAVE A PERSONALITY

"Listen, I'm going to explain a lot of shit about Quarians that doesn't make any sense, so I guess you should skip this part or something."

manwiththemachinegun on