Options

Mass Effect: Blue Öyster Cult was wrong.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I wouldn't mind some games in the Mass Effect universe that weren't saving the entire galaxy.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It seems to me that a cool follow up to ME3 would be an RPG in which you can pick from one of the many Mass effect races. Your just an average joe trying to get by in a galaxy that is drastically different depending on what Shepard did. The story would start out slow, but eventually your character would get swept up into a huge galaxy spanning plot, not a galaxy saving plot, but a galaxy spanning plot.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    -Tal wrote: »
    Nuzak wrote: »
    Pancake wrote: »
    I hope they take the opportunity post-ME3 to explore more of the more mundane and less grand aspects of the setting.

A lot of the setting seems really cool, but you never get to see it because it's not awesome enough for Shepard to sucker punch in the face with his or her protagonist super powers.

A lot of people hated DA2 for trying to do this. Maybe in the anime!

it was mishandled, but the idea was solid

I actually liked DA2 a lot, even more than ME2. But the overall response was more negative, so I don't know if Bioware would pull it again.

I actually liked DA2 more than ME2 too. But...well, my opinions on ME2 are well known

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It would be just plan stupid given the context of the game. It's a race against time. Earth is being harvested, every mission you waste on something frivolous means hundreds of thousands of people will die or face a fate worse than death.

If you want Volus Theme Park Manager, it might be better to wait for the (nearly garunteed) Mass Effect spin off games that will come after the 'trilogy' is complete.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    PopesnaxPopesnax Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    A noir spinoff where you play a C-sec detective, constantly getting tripped up by your loose-cannon Turian partner who unexpectedly fucks off entirely to chase space robots with a Spectre.

Popesnax on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Nuzak wrote: »
    I hope they take the opportunity post-ME3 to explore more of the more mundane and less grand aspects of the setting.

A lot of the setting seems really cool, but you never get to see it because it's not awesome enough for Shepard to sucker punch in the face with his or her protagonist super powers.

A lot of people hated DA2 for trying to do this. Maybe in the anime!

it was mishandled, but the idea was solid

I actually liked DA2 a lot, even more than ME2. But the overall response was more negative, so I don't know if Bioware would pull it again.

The general complaint was also not that the not-epic story was mishandled, but that it wasn't epic, as if that's bad in itself.

It is bad because BioWare can't write the mundane. Dragon Age 2 has more filler content than Mass Effect 1 to fill in the gaps between its main plot. And not only is this side content repetitive, but the main plot falls flat and is horribly disconnected.

As I said, Mass Effect is so fun because Shepard facilitates awesome. I'm sure there are people out there who give a fuck about Citadel politics and the specific trade negotiations between the Batarian hegemony and the Hanar. Or whatever. 95% of people don't, and trying to 'flesh out' a universe in that manner would alienate a lot of fans. Which is exactly what has happened with Dragon Age.

Just as there's nothing wrong with non-epic stories, there's nothing wrong with actually epic stories. And unless you get the tone just right, the former is going to divide the audience. Pulling a DA2 with Mass Effect would be shitty.

You're wrong.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    More screenshots have emerged over at GameFAQs.

Link to the original post: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/995452-mass-effect-3/58730036?page=30

Mostly shows what he claims are Cerberus troopers with some concept art and a shot of Anderson thrown in for good measure.

Hellbore on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hrrrm. My ME2 save appears to be lacking a face code in the editor. Somehow. How inconvenient :|

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh please have some Vanquish in my Mass Effect.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Meh, I don't think that DA2 was a case of Bioware not being able to write the mundane so much as gamers not being able to accept not being big damn heroes.

Just my humble opinion though. :whistle:

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Popesnax wrote: »
    A noir spinoff where you play a C-sec detective, constantly getting tripped up by your loose-cannon Turian partner who unexpectedly fucks off entirely to chase space robots with a Spectre.

Yes.

More seriously, as awesome as Shepard is (pretty darn), I would love to have a good bit of (comparative) average joe in the next one.

Conspiracies, ordinary military issues, aftermath of Shepard not giving half a fuck about things, whatever. It's a great universe to play around in. I want to see it when Shepard isn't punching everything to save the galaxy some time.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hellbore wrote: »
    More screenshots have emerged over at GameFAQs.

Link to the original post: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/995452-mass-effect-3/58730036?page=30

Mostly shows what he claims are Cerberus troopers with some concept art and a shot of Anderson thrown in for good measure.

Vanquish-troopers and Anderson looking badass?

Gonna be a loooong 6-7 months...

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g45/freedan_the_eternal/Snapshot_20110409_7.jpg

They added Bayonets...

It will be Vangod Shangri-la

Edit: Sorry about that double post.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Oh yeah.

Husks?

I was ambivalent on Husks.

But these guys? This is what I want to be killing.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    We decided to give our cannon fodder er I mean brave, skilled operatives more advanced armor for Shepard to shoot through.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Anderson looks pretty badass I must say.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    -Tal summarizes most of what I was going to say, but I'd add...
    That the Reapers have probably been FTL'ing for at least a few hundred years as of ME1 - probably thousands. Vigil strongly implies that the invasion should have already happened, but the Prothean research team disabled the signal. I think the email you get from that Salarian implies the same.

So presumably, they've been hauling ass through dark space for a long time now - hence the showing up around the same time they clearly had activated "plan B" with the Collectors, which I'd say was a result of them realizing that there was a decent chance the Citadel might be able to be used to shutdown Mass Relays within the galaxy (ME1 notes this is what it does) and thus severely mess with the Reaper invasion plan.

Counterpoint: End of Me2 that shot implies the other Reapers are 'waking up', in that each lights up their 'eyes' one after another on Harbinger's command. Generally implying that at the end of Me2 they are no longer 'waiting' but are 'coming to get us'.
    Counter-counterpoint: It is possible to get to speed and simply shut off systems to conserve energy as you "coast" through space. I don't know if that's how FTL works in this universe, but it's the central caveat for the whole Newton joke in ME2.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Anderson looks like he's ready for battle in those screenshots, maybe he'll be a squadmate?

Ad astra on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Maybe a temporary one, but Captains aren't front line combatants.

In some of those scans I think we might have our first look at human Dreadnoughts. If so, their mountain naming scheme is apt, first thing I thought of when I looked at them.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    PopesnaxPopesnax Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Woah, Anderson looks balls different.

What the hell uniform is he wearing? They've never shown khaki Alliance fatigues before. It could be the Army Uniform (as opposed to Marines or Navy), but why's an Admiral wearing that? Based on the Hot Pink-and-White variant of MARPAT found on Eden Prime, camoflague alone isn't a high priority for the Alliance...

Popesnax on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    -Tal summarizes most of what I was going to say, but I'd add...
    That the Reapers have probably been FTL'ing for at least a few hundred years as of ME1 - probably thousands. Vigil strongly implies that the invasion should have already happened, but the Prothean research team disabled the signal. I think the email you get from that Salarian implies the same.

So presumably, they've been hauling ass through dark space for a long time now - hence the showing up around the same time they clearly had activated "plan B" with the Collectors, which I'd say was a result of them realizing that there was a decent chance the Citadel might be able to be used to shutdown Mass Relays within the galaxy (ME1 notes this is what it does) and thus severely mess with the Reaper invasion plan.

Counterpoint: End of Me2 that shot implies the other Reapers are 'waking up', in that each lights up their 'eyes' one after another on Harbinger's command. Generally implying that at the end of Me2 they are no longer 'waiting' but are 'coming to get us'.
    Counter-counterpoint: It is possible to get to speed and simply shut off systems to conserve energy as you "coast" through space. I don't know if that's how FTL works in this universe, but it's the central caveat for the whole Newton joke in ME2.

mass effect fields just allow almost unlimited acceleration, relays allow infinite acceleration. you can coast at a constant speed, but it's faster to just, you know, go as fast as you can and keep going. until you get halfway, at which point you turn around and start decelerating to avoid overshooting the target

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'm playing back through ME1 now to get a full canon save that I'm happy with going into ME3. I dialed back the difficulty from Insanity, not because it was hard but because it was tedious. I don't have three goddamn minutes to spend for every mook with Immunity. How did this not annoy me the first 4 times I did it?

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Just finished a new one myself, but yeah. Fighting Geth is infinitely more fun than mercs with immunity.

However, you can just shoot them into the stratosphere if you're outside. Liara managed to arc one over a mountain range on one uncharted world.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm playing back through ME1 now to get a full canon save that I'm happy with going into ME3. I dialed back the difficulty from Insanity, not because it was hard but because it was tedious. I don't have three goddamn minutes to spend for every mook with Immunity. How did this not annoy me the first 4 times I did it?

Because once you've seen ME combat done actually in a fun way - like ME2 - it is so hard to go back to the power spam of ME. I can't stand ME myself and I will never ever play it again. If I can't get a playthrough from ME2 that I want to carry into ME3, then too bad. I am not going to play ME again for it under any circumstances.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Just finished a new one myself, but yeah. Fighting Geth is infinitely more fun than mercs with immunity.

However, you can just shoot them into the stratosphere if you're outside. Liara managed to arc one over a mountain range on one uncharted world.
    I just finished the sequence with Fist, and the frickin' bartender had immunity.

I'm literally pounding fire into this guy with my Spectre X AR with two Scram Rail Xs and his bar isn't moving.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    anyone else think ME3 will involve another
    timed 'get your shit in order' NOW scenario like the collector attack on the normandy in ME2? i'm pretty sure there's going to be several different levels of destruction that earth can experience due to your choices. plus, we know from Vigil that reapers take all the time in the world to actually harvest a planet. earth may be attacked, but it won't be 'taken' completely for a longgggg time.

and you know what i want for ME3?

i want to uncover a secret krogan biotic project. we all think jack and liara and samara are powerful, but when you make a krogan super-biotic, they tend to crush entire worlds.

now that's a vanguard i'd want to play with.

alternately, lock grunt in a room with aforementioned jack and liara and samara and don't let anyone out until grunt can break asteroids with his mind

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited April 2011

I just finished the sequence with Fist, and the frickin' bartender had immunity.

I'm literally pounding fire into this guy with my Spectre X AR with two Scram Rail Xs and his bar isn't moving.

Clearly a drunken master. Makes sense to me.

Also, probably relevant for the OP:

221858705_5BFXM-L-2.jpg

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I'm wondering. Based on those scans, it seems like Cerberus is REALLY pulling out the strings to get Shepard.

I thought they'd be more concerned with, y'know, stopping the Reapers from annihilating the entire known galaxy as we know it, instead of trying to kill a guy they spent a FORTUNE resurrecting.

And where were all these awesome exo-suit soldiers in Mass Effect 2? Cerberus really must be terrible at managing things.

"Hurr, okay after failing at ninety or so experiments in the last month, I believe we can off-set this all by using what little budget we have left to arm some green rookies with state of the art suits that will put this organization into a financial gutter, but fuck at least they can't go and die to some wacky experimental hijinx. Oh, looks like our first live run with these puppies is against Shepard. Might as well throw more money down the drain!"

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i find that comic much more approximates my experiences with the witcher than with mass effect.

the number of quests you can simple NOT KNOW ARE THERE is immense. by contrast, in bioware games you talk to everyone and boom you've covered your bases

in the witcher if you don't talk to person X at 5:00 PM while it's raining while wearing a special signet ring and hiding flowers behind your back YOU DON'T GET THE QUEST.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Steel-LionSteel-Lion Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I get the feeling Cerberus is a dig at the real world economic problems.

Steel-Lion on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    This is speculation, but it could be that...
    TIM has succumed to indoctrination. His implants are Reaper technology.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    TracerBulletTracerBullet Spaceman Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I'm wondering. Based on those scans, it seems like Cerberus is REALLY pulling out the strings to get Shepard.

I thought they'd be more concerned with, y'know, stopping the Reapers from annihilating the entire known galaxy as we know it, instead of trying to kill a guy they spent a FORTUNE resurrecting.

And where were all these awesome exo-suit soldiers in Mass Effect 2? Cerberus really must be terrible at managing things.

"Hurr, okay after failing at ninety or so experiments in the last month, I believe we can off-set this all by using what little budget we have left to arm some green rookies with state of the art suits that will put this organization into a financial gutter, but fuck at least they can't go and die to some wacky experimental hijinx. Oh, looks like our first live run with these puppies is against Shepard. Might as well throw more money down the drain!"

I ,honestly, find the idea that Cerberus becomes indoctrinated by hanging out on the collector ship completely viable.

TracerBullet on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Steel-Lion wrote: »
    I get the feeling Cerberus is a dig at the real world economic problems.

or the council. :lol:

Ah yes, "Social Security reform". We have dismissed such claims.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It's lame that Cerberus is now hostile towards you no matter what, it makes the base choice utterly meaningless.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's not Mass Effect if it's not pink mohawk.

Bigity on
  • Options
    Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I ,honestly, find the idea that Cerberus becomes indoctrinated by hanging out on the collector ship completely viable.

At this point it's one of the few explanations that make good sense. I mean from a gameplay standpoint, they make for cool humanoid adversaries that aren't related to the Reaper threat. But really, if they aren't being influenced at all by indoctrination then they've reached a whole new level of stupid. Previously, I sort of just shook my head at their silliness, muttering "Cerberus" and then going about cleaning their mess up.

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Cerberus could also be "hunting" Shepard to give him/her political cover for the trial.

The "they took me prisoner, implanted a tiny bomb in my skull and made me do their bidding" defense works a lot better if you're currently on the run from them.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ad astra wrote: »
    It's lame that Cerberus is now hostile towards you no matter what, it makes the base choice utterly meaningless.

Unlike all those choices you made in ME1 that were pretty meaningful.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg