As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] New info. Beta gameplay and real money auction house.

SkabSkab Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Games and Technology
diablo3threadtest.png
Official Site
Twitter
Thanks to Henroid for the original op!

The Classes!
(portraits link to official info)
10mu6c5.jpg20ayki9.jpg2zeikuu.jpgwbxxfb.jpgsuu9gl.jpg

Newest Info

New official runestone page: http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/systems/runestones.xml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7AD8KlTLCo

The big list of what we know so far
  • Set 20 years after the events of Diablo 2.
  • Diablo will be returning. Belial confirmed to be present in Act 2.
  • Four Acts, three difficulty settings like Diablo 2. Dev team shooting for a longer game than Diablo 2.
  • Male and Female versions of each class.
  • Armor Dyes! 15 different colors, applies to certain sections of armor. Some rarer and harder to find than others.
  • Potion bar removed, replaced with small (1 - 5) hotkey bar. Can now also set 3 skills to mouse. RMB, LMB and a button switching between two RMB skills.
  • Mobs now drop Health orbs. Walking over one replenishes a fixed amount of health depending on which type/size (small/med/large etc) you collect. Bosses drop them at certain points during fights.
  • Potions still around but not chugable like in D2. They now have a cooldown (~8 secs currently)
  • Elixirs are back! Provide a 300 second bonus to that stat. Multiple ranks.
  • Inventory system is 1x1 or 1x2 per item; still working with a finite space.
  • Interactive environments!
  • A much larger world to explore! Here's a world map.
  • Town portal scrolls as they were in the past are gone, but apparently are currently around in some form or another. ID scrolls are still around, and we also get Scrolls of Wealth, which let you instantly sell items anywhere.
  • Multiple kills yield combos for bonus experience!
  • No manual stat allocation.
  • Level cap is 60.
  • Respecs!
  • Diablo 2 runes/runewords are gone. Runes are now skill runes, which you socket into your active skills to change their properties/behaviors.
  • Skill trees are gone. Active skills are now ranked into teirs which are simply unlocked by leveling, and you choose 7 active skills from your pool of available skills to use in your build. Passive skills are known as Traits and are a separate set of skills all together. You gain a Trait point ever other level, and Traits can have 1, 3, or 5 points put into them, depending on the Trait.
  • Shared Stash.
  • PVP is now done via the PVP Arenas system. See Here and video here
  • Gems now work similar to how runes did in D2, minus the Runewords. There are 14 gem levels - only the first 5 levels ever drop, anything else must be made by a Jeweler [ url]http://diablo.incgamers.com/gallery/data/570/gem_levels.png[/url]
  • Runes are now Skill Runes. See here.
  • Crafting is an actual crafting system now, which uses the Artisans. The Artisans are people (Blacksmith, Jeweler, and Mystic) who join you on your quest as you progress through the game, usually after saving/helping them. (Think how we got Cain in D2.) See spoiler below for more info and a vid.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlTu2yCdkCI
    Diablo III Caravan FAQ

Q: What is the caravan?
    A: The caravan is a persistent group that follows the heroes across Sanctuary, providing a centralized hub for players to find quest givers, crafters, and other important NPCs. As your character moves through the world so too will your loyal band, setting up in specific locations to remain close by should you need them.

Q: Who are the artisans?
    A: In order to access the professions in Diablo III, you’ll need to gain the loyalty of various artisans through your travels in Sanctuary. The blacksmith, mystic, and jeweler will each provide unique services over the course of the game.

Q: What do the artisans offer?
    A: Skilling up your artisans will unlock unique recipes, granting your character access to benefits that may not be found anywhere else in the world. The blacksmith crafts weapons and armor, and can add sockets to some items. The mystic creates scrolls, potions, magical weapons, spell runes, and charms, and can also enchant items. The jeweler crafts gems , amulets, and rings. The jeweler can also remove gems from socketed items and can combine gems to improve their quality.

Q: How do I find the artisans?
    A: Finding the artisans will be part of the main quest. Each artisan has been fleshed out to include their own story and quest line.

Q: How do I use the artisans?
    A: You’ll collect loot as a reward for slaughtering the forces of the Burning Hells. Unwanted items can be salvaged in your inventory, converting these goods into raw crafting materials—higher-level items are salvaged into higher-level materials. You’ll then take those raw materials and hand them over to the artisans, putting them to work crafting or enchanting for you. Upon returning to the caravan after a lengthy foray, you may also find that the artisans have been hard at work plying their trade for your benefit.

Q: How do I salvage my items?
    A: Players will find an item while progressing through the main quest that will allow them to convert unwanted gear into crafting materials from the inventory. This item will not take up any inventory space. This should be a more satisfying option for offloading unwanted loot than the alternative—dropping things on the ground or making frequent trips to a vendor.

Q: Why are you including crafting professions in an action game?
    A: Professions add depth to the item collection gameplay that drives the action of Diablo III. We want to provide players with an alternative way to acquire gear, potions, and other randomly found items. We also want to provide additional forms of customization for players—adding jewels, enchants, or sockets to existing gear allows players to further tailor their characters. Many rare crafting recipes and materials are only found as world drops, enhancing the item acquisition process by increasing the diversity of items dropped by monsters.

Media

Screens
25kugw4.png
barbarianleap.jpg
ss138-hires.jpg
ss136-hires.jpg
ss140-hires.jpg
ss143-hires.jpg
ss137-hires.jpg

Gameplay (Blizzcon '10)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmB140BKPII
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6553gm0mBw

Wizard, Monk, and Demon Hunter Trailers

(If I missed something, let me know.)

steam_sig.png
Skab on

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Call starting now!

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I can't listen to the call at work, keep us poor workers posted!

captaink on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Damn, between running off for errands and hitting the gym, I'm probably going to miss most of this.

... also, because of the stupid work PC speaker, the woman speaking right now sounds like she belongs in The Peanuts cartoons. "WAH WAH WAH WAH." ".... what?"

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Skab wrote: »
    Call starting now!

Call?

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, a link would be nice.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hmm, I just realized I never actually watched the Caravan preview video. I'll need to do that sometime, even though shit will probably be totally changed by retail.

forty on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Rakai wrote: »
    Call starting now!

Call?

Blizzard/Activision Conference Call

http://investor.activision.com/eventdetail.cfm?eventid=96008

Forar on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You don't wanna listen.

It's an activision/blizzard quarterly results conference call.

It is literally a business conference call.

When they get to the diablo 3 stuff you'll hear.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Forar wrote: »
    Damn, between running off for errands and hitting the gym, I'm probably going to miss most of this.

... also, because of the stupid work PC speaker, the woman speaking right now sounds like she belongs in The Peanuts cartoons. "WAH WAH WAH WAH." ".... what?"

Eh. It's mostly boring financial crap anyway, so you are really not missing much.

Edit:
    You don't wanna listen.

Pretty much this.

I'll post shit when its announced since I'm bored and listening anyway though. So just watch the thread if you don't want to listen.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SaphierSaphier Aka Errant Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Typos in the title. Unless thats some inside joke I don't understand, in which case, carry on.

Saphier on
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Want info so badly...

Toothy on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Saphier wrote: »
    Typos in the title. Unless thats some inside joke I don't understand, in which case, carry on.

No that's me being tired. Thanks :P

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You don't wanna listen.

Are they planning on talking about it? I mean, is it normal to talk about upcoming games in a quarterly results report call?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    They're targeting Q3 this year for the beta.

Edit: Also, some of the info in the OP is out of date. No item binding anymore, and the stat system is revamped.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    "Beggining internal companywide testing."

"targetting Q3 for external beta testing of D3."

"Do not have an official release date or window yet but still pushing for this year."

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    also "driving hard to launch this year"

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    BMfpO.png

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sooner than I had hoped for a beta. Probably the fastest reasonable timeline possible, really.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Won't a Q4 release compete with Heart of the Swarm? Would be nice though to see it in stores this year.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Was hoping they would pull something like they did with the Starcraft 2 beta announcement, but this is still good news none the less.

Q3 starts in July, right?

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    My money is on a july beta start.

My 0 dollars

Too bad blizzard q3 means november or december or beyond.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    My money is on a july beta start.

My 0 dollars

Too bad blizzard q3 means november or december or beyond.

Pretty sure it's no where near that late in the year. July - Sept, if I recall.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, it probably means fiscal Q3, hence my question relating to HotS.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    From the D3 forums
    Bashiok wrote:
    The 3rd quarter reference in the earning's call today was a calendar quarter, meaning that we're aiming to launch the Diablo III beta between July 1st and September 30th. Keep in mind that it's our current goal, and of course that can change as development continues.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Exciting news today! :D Hopefully Blizzard can get Diablo 3 out to retail stores this year but if not 2012 for sure.

kyleh613 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    From the D3 forums
    Bashiok wrote:
    The 3rd quarter reference in the earning's call today was a calendar quarter, meaning that we're aiming to launch the Diablo III beta between July 1st and September 30th. Keep in mind that it's our current goal, and of course that can change as development continues.

Quoting myself since I got botp and this is worth knowing.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Squirrel RancherSquirrel Rancher Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This is great news, though now it seems I'll have to upgrade my computer sooner than planned. Everyone who hasn't yet should probably update their beta preferences at battle.net.

Squirrel Rancher on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Re: Hopeful Q3 Beta: *ColbertICalledIt.jpg*

Even more glad to hear that they're finally officially admitting to aim for a release this year. 8 months to go and I funding just became available due to ME3 being pushed to Q1 2012.

Forar on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That's practically them officially admitting it's 2012, though. Hard dates or bust!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, "pushing for a 2011 release" definitely means 2012.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Am I the only one who doesn't actually want to be in the beta? I mean, for Starcraft 2 it's not like playing the beta was spoiling anything. You knew prettymuch exactly what to expect, what it would play like, and there was no story in the beta.

For Diablo 3, I want my first time playing it to be on launch with the real deal, rather than a limited experience where I'm replaying act 1 over and over for 3 months or something.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

How so?

Say beta hits in July. It could only last 3 months, and the game could release in October.

D3 isn't going to need a very long beta. It isn't like, say, Starcraft 2 where it's going to require a huge amount of balance testing.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Q3 beta start really makes a 2011 release seem unlikely, unless we're talking about the shortest beta Blizzard has done in the past decade or so.

Edit: Maybe it would be possible if Q3 actually ended up meaning July, but I kind of doubt that.

forty on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

How so?

Say beta hits in July. It could only last 3 months, and the game could release in October.

D3 isn't going to need a very long beta. It isn't like, say, Starcraft 2 where it's going to require a huge amount of balance testing.

Sadly pretty much everything you just said is unlikely or wrong.

The beta will last longer than three months, I suspect. It partially depends on how big of a deal they want to make the whole arena thing, but that remains to be seen. I'd prefer it was just a side feature that didn't require any real balancing; but my experience with WoW tells me otherwise. I have no doubt that we'll see endless nerfs and buffs that effect the actual game, purely for the purpose of balancing the shitty arena thing. No, I suspect the beta will last much longer, and primarily due to this "feature". Gee, I wonder where I stand on that subject?

Will it require SC2 levels of testing, or even WoW patch/xpack levels of testing? Probably not. But I still don't expect it to be busted out that quickly.

On top of that, this is blizzard. If they're trying to start the beta in Q3 which is Jul-Sept, the chances of it starting before sept are inordinately low. The chances of it starting before Q4 are low. Particularly when it sounds like they've just now started company wide internal testing.

Granted, we live in the day of launch day major patches so the beta can keep going for a long time after the game goes gold, but that still only buys them a bit of time to push the game out faster.

Even when you take away the history of Blizzard and game releases, you have to realize that like it or not, no matter how independent they are from Activision; Activision is going to have some AAA titles coming out this holiday season and releasing a game as massive as Diablo 3 on top of those other games will play into the release date decision. Particularly when you consider the current economic situation and how that will play into already lagging game sales.

The secrecy still surrounding the game, and most of its features, and lack of any real hype other than the inherent hype given that it's Diablo and Blizzard, makes me think that a 2011 release is even less likely. Who knows, maybe they'll surprise us at E3, or Blizzcon and start pushing hard. I would love a 2011 release; particularly now that ME3 has been pushed to 2012. That and Deus Ex were my only real fall games I'm caring about atm (at least off the top of my head).

I just don't expect it. At all.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited May 2011

How so?

Sadly pretty much everything you just said is unlikely or wrong.

The beta will last longer than three months, I suspect. It partially depends on how big of a deal they want to make the whole arena thing, but that remains to be seen. I'd prefer it was just a side feature that didn't require any real balancing; but my experience with WoW tells me otherwise. I have no doubt that we'll see endless nerfs and buffs that effect the actual game, purely for the purpose of balancing the shitty arena thing. No, I suspect the beta will last much longer, and primarily due to this "feature". Gee, I wonder where I stand on that subject?

Will it require SC2 levels of testing, or even WoW patch/xpack levels of testing? Probably not. But I still don't expect it to be busted out that quickly.

On top of that, this is blizzard. If they're trying to start the beta in Q3 which is Jul-Sept, the chances of it starting before sept are inordinately low. The chances of it starting before Q4 are low. Particularly when it sounds like they've just now started company wide internal testing.

Granted, we live in the day of launch day major patches so the beta can keep going for a long time after the game goes gold, but that still only buys them a bit of time to push the game out faster.

Even when you take away the history of Blizzard and game releases, you have to realize that like it or not, no matter how independent they are from Activision; Activision is going to have some AAA titles coming out this holiday season and releasing a game as massive as Diablo 3 on top of those other games will play into the release date decision. Particularly when you consider the current economic situation and how that will play into already lagging game sales.

The secrecy still surrounding the game, and most of its features, and lack of any real hype other than the inherent hype given that it's Diablo and Blizzard, makes me think that a 2011 release is even less likely. Who knows, maybe they'll surprise us at E3, or Blizzcon and start pushing hard. I would love a 2011 release; particularly now that ME3 has been pushed to 2012. That and Deus Ex were my only real fall games I'm caring about atm (at least off the top of my head).

I just don't expect it. At all.

What exactly did I say that was wrong? Obviously, yes, it depends on when the beta starts, but if theyre already internally testing then the game is more or less complete as far as content go. From here out its tweaks, bug testing, balance, and polish. I doubt they would need 6 months of internal testing at this point before going to beta, especially considering they've been play testing plenty as development has progressed.

They have already said, and I quote, "PvP balance is not an integral goal to releasing the game." and that any changes/tweaks made to any skills for PvP will not affect that skill in PvM. They want the two game modes to be separate and do not want it to be an e-sport. Will it be in beta? Probably. But it isn't going to be something they will have to extend the beta over.

And most of the features HAVE been revealed, with the remaining handful being shown before beta launches.

While obviously not the same game, both D2 betas only lasted 3 months. Considering the type of game, I don't see how D3 would need much longer than that.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Spring 2012 seems like a more plausible release-date, and I'd be elated, as I was sure they would wait until December 2012 to go along with the whole 'end of the world' calender stuff :lol:

Kami on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Between D3 just being more complex (D2's betas were 6 quests and ~10 or so zones) and B.net 2.0, I'm sure D3's beta will be longer than 3 months.

forty on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    While to be taken with a HUGE grain of salt, they've already said that they expect the game to release approximately 6 months after the beta begins, which give or take a few weeks makes them firing it up in July or August allow for a January'ish release (or even earlier, but as hopeful as I am, I do recognize that this is Blizzard I'm talking about here).

Now, maybe they'll find that one rune combination wipes their entire server cluster out. Or maybe it'll go smoothly. It's all speculation on speculation at this point, but you have to admit this is closer to something vaguely resembling a timeline than we've been yet.

I get trying to remain realistic and grounded and not get swept away in expectation building, frustrating growing hype, but let's not shit over everyone's parade too harshly either folks. :-D
    forty wrote: »
    Between D3 just being more complex (D2's betas were 6 quests and ~10 or so zones) and B.net 2.0, I'm sure D3's beta will be longer than 3 months.

I'm pretty sure the cut down D2 beta you're referring to was the server stress test that they allowed piles of people in on. I could swear that this was done after a fairly lengthy closed beta period, which included all of the classes annnnd I want to say all of Act 1, but I wasn't in it so if someone has a cite or better recollection feel free to update/correct me on that.

Forar on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, the skill data is separate between PvP and PvE modes, so that shouldn't slow things down much by itself. If they want to rebalance PvP they can do that on the fly separately as they see what happens.

Savant on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Forar wrote: »
    While to be taken with a HUGE grain of salt, they've already said that they expect the game to release approximately 6 months after the beta begins, which give or take a few weeks makes them firing it up in July or August allow for a January'ish release (or even earlier, but as hopeful as I am, I do recognize that this is Blizzard I'm talking about here).

Now, maybe they'll find that one rune combination wipes their entire server cluster out. Or maybe it'll go smoothly. It's all speculation on speculation at this point, but you have to admit this is closer to something vaguely resembling a timeline than we've been yet.

I get trying to remain realistic and grounded and not get swept away in expectation building, frustrating growing hype, but let's not shit over everyone's parade too harshly either folks. :-D
    forty wrote: »

I'm pretty sure the cut down D2 beta you're referring to was the server stress test that they allowed piles of people in on. I could swear that this was done after a fairly lengthy closed beta period, which included all of the classes annnnd I want to say all of Act 1, but I wasn't in it so if someone has a cite or better recollection feel free to update/correct me on that.

D2 beta had 2 parts. The closed beta, which was all of act 1 and all classes, and then an open stress test which was just part of act one and just the Barb. The whole thing lasted from April till June. Stress test part started around the end of May/start of June.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png