Options

[STEAM] Summer Sale is in full swing. Current Contests now featured in OP (λ)

• Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    The fact that Steam put it on sale and made me buy it!

emot-argh.gif

Hah, I did the same thing when it first came out. It's certainly a guilty pleasure. Sadly, 2 more expansion are on the docket I'll have to consider, Pets and Town Life.

Decoy on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    King Arthur runs like crap so eh. At least it was only $4.50. :?

Rizzi on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Aaaaand SAFE!

Nothing for me today. :D

Drake on
  • Options
    PheacePheace Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Vegan wrote: »
    Alegis wrote: »
    if game_you_want is not on_daily_sale
    wait until game_is_on_daily_sale OR last_day

ensures you get the lowest price for the games you want

It IS on daily sale.

Ohhhh, I thought you were angry because you bought it yesterday or something. I see.

Complete pack is still the exact same price, but today invidivuals are also on sale.

Pheace on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    In Guild Wars, what Campaign should I start with?

Does it matter?

From what I understand, not really. But there is an overarching plot to the whole thing. The order is Prophecies -> Factions -> Nightfall.

At certain points in each game you can move your character to the other stories, so it doesn't 'really' matter, but in the end, play Nightfall first. You'll net yourself Heroes, which are like Henchmen but 120474x better. You can then take these AI supermen/women into the other campaigns and wreck them like a boss.

Nightfall has heroes, Factions has the easiest leveling/cash and Prophecies floods you with the most skills, I think is how the breakdown goes.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Anyone still interested in Frozen Synapse?

My friend bailed on me when I was going to gift it to him (didn't want it).

But I'll happily trade anyone a copy of Jamestown for it :)

(essentially making it cheaper then half the cost of the daily)

Just add me on Steam.

:EDIT: Claimed :o

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    In Guild Wars, what Campaign should I start with?

Does it matter?

From what I understand, not really. But there is an overarching plot to the whole thing. The order is Prophecies -> Factions -> Nightfall.

At certain points in each game you can move your character to the other stories, so it doesn't 'really' matter, but in the end, play Nightfall first. You'll net yourself Heroes, which are like Henchmen but 120474x better. You can then take these AI supermen/women into the other campaigns and wreck them like a boss.

Nightfall has heroes, Factions has the easiest leveling/cash and Prophecies floods you with the most skills, I think is how the breakdown goes.

Good call, I'll go down this path once I start playing this weekend.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'll have to pick up the Zombie one, I was told it was pretty fun (and hell, $3 is nothing :P).

Side note - I bought Darksiders earlier when it was $5. Man that game is fun. I'm not sure I care for the PC controls though - I'm going to have to get my 360 controller hooked up I think.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If anybody is feeling like santa, Jamestown has been on dream list for awhile :P

Inkyblots on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    GOD DAMN IT I JUST BOUGHT THE SIMS 3 PACK

FUCK YOU STEAM

Why is this "fuck you" worthy? The pack cost $80 before Sim 3 went up as a daily, and it's still $80 now.

If you just meant The Sims 3 itself then I'd understand, but the full pack hasn't budged a cent.

Edit: apparently this has been addressed, and Magic Pink has perhaps learned a lesson about giving context?

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Don't suppose the OP could stay updated with current running contests from members? I realize it might be challenging, but it would be good to keep people in the loop. By my count we've got two contests running now.

Anyway, it was late so I only tried Alpha Protocol for about 15 minutes last night.

Let's get the negatives out of the way: the animations are awful. Like Deadly Premonition bad, only without the charm to it.

Also, first guy I had to engage in melee combat got stuck between a table and a couch, and ran in circles. Second guy literally merged with a table. I was told the game had glitches, but I didn't think they were this consistent.

And just like Oblivion, the game has issues with my 360 controller where nudging the analog to the left will have the character permanently walk in that direction, even when I'm not pressing on it. I don't suppose the game can work with other controllers, like PS3?

Those out of the way, I can see why the conversation system is so praised, because of what I saw it was excellent.

If this game was just dialog trees followed by Heavy Rain-inspired QTE, it would be amazing.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    PsiberianPsiberian Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I'll have to pick up the Zombie one, I was told it was pretty fun (and hell, $3 is nothing :P).

Side note - I bought Darksiders earlier when it was $5. Man that game is fun. I'm not sure I care for the PC controls though - I'm going to have to get my 360 controller hooked up I think.

i actually bought this game twice. the first time on my xbox loved it, then bought it on my computer *I serve the newel* I actually preferred the kbam controls to the xbox by a large margin.

Psiberian on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Corpekata check your game library, my steam client says ai war went through. To the guys who won thibis's giveaway I will send those when I get home from work.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Well, that's GTA 4 and both Eschalon games bought, leaving me with a grand total of $1.78 in my steam wallet. Maybe I'll be able to buy something with that. Maybe.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    You know, it seems like GTA4 is the game that steam taunts me with the most. It's kinda common to see it at 10 bucks, but EVERY TIME, my wallet tells me "Nope. You don't get to have nice things" Well...maybe one of the next times.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It's around this time during a sale when people are less shy about flat out asking people to give them games for free. Come on guys, more class.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Batman...temptation is high, but so is the Telltale pack, still haven't pulled the trigger on it.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Don't suppose the OP could stay updated with current running contests from members? I realize it might be challenging, but it would be good to keep people in the loop. By my count we've got two contests running now.

Anyway, it was late so I only tried Alpha Protocol for about 15 minutes last night.

Let's get the negatives out of the way: the animations are awful. Like Deadly Premonition bad, only without the charm to it.

Also, first guy I had to engage in melee combat got stuck between a table and a couch, and ran in circles. Second guy literally merged with a table. I was told the game had glitches, but I didn't think they were this consistent.

And just like Oblivion, the game has issues with my 360 controller where nudging the analog to the left will have the character permanently walk in that direction, even when I'm not pressing on it. I don't suppose the game can work with other controllers, like PS3?

Those out of the way, I can see why the conversation system is so praised, because of what I saw it was excellent.

If this game was just dialog trees followed by Heavy Rain-inspired QTE, it would be amazing.

Keep going AT LEAST past Saudi Arabia. The Saudi section is a little too combat-heavy, the rest of the game is where it shines. Alpha Protocol is like homosexuality - it gets better.

big l on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Forar is a classy classy gent for gifting me Atom Zombie Smasher. What a champ! Thanks buddy.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Forar wrote: »
    GOD DAMN IT I JUST BOUGHT THE SIMS 3 PACK

FUCK YOU STEAM

Why is this "fuck you" worthy? The pack cost $80 before Sim 3 went up as a daily, and it's still $80 now.

If you just meant The Sims 3 itself then I'd understand, but the full pack hasn't budged a cent.

Edit: apparently this has been addressed, and Magic Pink has perhaps learned a lesson about giving context?

Maybe you should learn not to be condescending and to not jump to being insulted for stupid reasons.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Alpha protocol's sneaking animation really is awful

Fuga on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Anyone have opinions on the Gothic games? Do the older ones, which seem to have the higher metacritic scores, have issues running on current computers?

Last Son on
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    Corpekata check your game library, my steam client says ai war went through. To the guys who won thibis's giveaway I will send those when I get home from work.

Not there, if you check my steam profile it should show that it's not in my games list. Weird.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Fuga wrote: »

It's like he's trying to be sneaky, but at the same time really needs the toilet.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    All the sactum talk on the other thread:

Game is fun, they are supposed to be adding 4 player coop in the next day or 2. Can't wait. The news says its out but the in game stuff says today.

It's a fun game.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    SvKSvK Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Cormac wrote: »
    Any opinions on King's Bounty? I really like the visual style of the game, but I've never heard of it or anything about it.
    I am in the same position, so I'm trying out the demo!

Before he knew it, six hours had passed and he was $7 poorer.

I was waiting for King's Bounty to go on sale, but I already bought the Heroes of Might and Magic 5 pack. What to do?

SvK on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Psiberian wrote: »

i actually bought this game twice. the first time on my xbox loved it, then bought it on my computer *I serve the newel* I actually preferred the kbam controls to the xbox by a large margin.

I don't know, it just feels so weird to me. Especially mouse clicking to attack when attacking involves a lot of button mashing :P I'm much more used to a gamepad for that kind of gameplay.

Also the whole "Hold CAPS LOCK and press a number key" thing feels clunky as hell :)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    savooipeerdsavooipeerd Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So I was thinking about buying GTA IV: Complete Edition just to get the episodes (since I already own GTA IV), but when I visit the store page it says "You already own Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition"

Is the Steam store confused or did they upgrade my edition of GTA IV somewhere along the way, unlikely as that sounds? I'd prefer not downloading 15 GB just to find out.

savooipeerd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    a puddlea puddle Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    What's the verdict on this Graxia game? I skimmed the thread(s) but didn't really see anything.

It looks kind of goofy in a nice way, but at this point in the sale I have flushed a lot of money down the Steam toilet and am starting to enact triage.

a puddle on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    big l wrote: »

Keep going AT LEAST past Saudi Arabia. The Saudi section is a little too combat-heavy, the rest of the game is where it shines. Alpha Protocol is like homosexuality - it gets better.

Well the criticisms I posted aren't enough to make me stop playing; a game would have to hit a serious downward slope to make me do that.

The controller issue is something I want to rectify though; Oblivion worked fine with a logitech controller, so I'm wondering if this game will let me do the same.
    Figgy wrote: »
    It's around this time during a sale when people are less shy about flat out asking people to give them games for free. Come on guys, more class.

I have to confess that I'm somewhat guilty of this. I never flat out asked people to gift me, but I did strongly hint at times about how I particularly wanted a game in the hopes someone would get the message. I tried to alleviate my guilt by gifting my own here and there, but the ratio of receiving to giving isn't even close.

So I made a vow to only express my interest in a game without overemphasizing it.

In the case of GTAIV, I want to buy it, but not only does that mod seem to not work period with the Steam version, one GAF poster said my PC setting wouldn't be able to handle it very well.
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F5, 7/16/2008
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
    Available Physical Memory 2.22 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 8.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 5.67 GB
    Adapter Description ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

Primary Adapter
    Graphics Card Manufacturer Powered by ATI
    Graphics Chipset ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
    Device ID 68B8
    Vendor 1002

Subsystem ID 2990
    Subsystem Vendor ID 1682

Graphics Bus Capability PCI Express 2.0
    Maximum Bus Setting PCI Express 2.0 x16

BIOS Version 012.013.000.000
    BIOS Part Number 113-HD577AZNF91-113-C01301-007
    BIOS Date 2009/12/04

Memory Size 1024 MB
    Memory Type GDDR5

Core Clock in MHz 850 MHz
    Memory Clock in MHz 1200 MHz
    Total Memory Bandwidth in GByte/s 76.8 GByte/s

Even though I've got Witcher 2 on high settings and it runs perfectly.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Last Son wrote: »
    Anyone have opinions on the Gothic games? Do the older ones, which seem to have the higher metacritic scores, have issues running on current computers?

Gothic games are great. 1 and 2 are a high point. 3 seems a very YMMV game. 4 sucks. But its a polished kind of suck so I guess if you go in not expecting Fallout 3 level of gold, it might not be terrible. At that price, its hard to say no to the whole set though. If you like those kind of games then there is no real reason to warn you away from any of them. Just know that 4 seems to really lose the general feel of the first 3.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Last Son wrote: »

I like them. They're all good, well, except 4, I haven't played it. Risen (the "real" Gothic 4) is good, though. I'd probably go with that. The first three are all story related, but you can play them in any order really. Your experience would be better starting with the first. I'd probably get them off of GoG, though, personally.

Get Risen, though. Or put it on your wishlist and wait for it to go on sale again.
    SvK wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Cormac wrote: »
    Any opinions on King's Bounty? I really like the visual style of the game, but I've never heard of it or anything about it.
    I am in the same position, so I'm trying out the demo!

Before he knew it, six hours had passed and he was $7 poorer.

I was waiting for King's Bounty to go on sale, but I already bought the Heroes of Might and Magic 5 pack. What to do?

I'm still very thankful for chocobolicious buying me King's Bounty Platinum out of the blue during the last big sale. Just want to say that.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    PsiberianPsiberian Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Psiberian wrote: »

I don't know, it just feels so weird to me. Especially mouse clicking to attack when attacking involves a lot of button mashing :P I'm much more used to a gamepad for that kind of gameplay.

Also the whole "Hold CAPS LOCK and press a number key" thing feels clunky as hell :)

understandable, the xbox controls for me were the same way for me awkward key presses to do stuff. I wish you luck, i never could get my xbox controller to play on my pc lol

Psiberian on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Has Capsized been cheaper than 4.99?

Inkyblots on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Fuga wrote: »

It's like he's trying to be sneaky, but at the same time really needs the toilet.

I have bigger issues with his running animation. All I can think of when I see it is "Herp Derp".

At least DP's wackiness matched its visual style. This game is all high res and polished, so stuff like that is more distracting.

• Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    For all those considering kings bounty, keep in mind the original has a few technical issues that are pretty much 100% fixed in armored princess and beyond, namely the game stuttering during battles even on modern systems.

They are awesome games and you should get them if heroes of might and magic type games interest you.

You don't take turn against an AI in the overworld or anything. Its basically roam around beating up random wandering monster armies, sometimes with npcs and recruiting knights/giant snakes/vampires/robots/dragons/whatever to help you beat on random armies. Oh all while leveling up yourself with talents and your summons (the legend)/ personal dragon(armored princess and beyond).

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    So! Who wants the Penny Arcade games?
    First person to PM me the "secret" word and has been a member for more than six months gets them.
    It starts with a "W"

Rizzi on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So I was thinking about buying GTA IV: Complete Edition just to get the episodes (since I already own GTA IV), but when I visit the store page it says "You already own Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition"

Is the Steam store confused or did they upgrade my edition of GTA IV somewhere along the way, unlikely as that sounds? I'd prefer not downloading 15 GB just to find out.

They are seperate games, you dont need to buy one to buy the other. That is what steam is telling you. Just buy episodes, to buy complete there is no point.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    wombat

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

They are seperate games, you dont need to buy one to buy the other. That is what steam is telling you. Just buy episodes, to buy complete there is no point.

On the other hand, I was gifted Borderlands and went to check out the GOTY edition to see if I could buy that for the DLC, and it told me I already owned the GOTY edition. I did not.

Steam is confusing sometimes. Luckily, the DLC pack went on sale :o

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment