As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Falkland Islands: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Tell Argentina to STFU

• Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    Since when is sinking enemy ships to be condemned? Killing enemy soldiers isn't murder, it's the business of war.

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Sargasso wrote: »
    In all honesty, I regret expressing my opinion at all. I should have known better than to formulate unbiased conclusions on an anglo-centic website. Winners write history, I guess.

Feel free to present some actual history. Post-colonialism is an important intellectual movement, which you are cheapening.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    In all honesty, I regret expressing my opinion at all. I should have known better than to formulate unbiased conclusions on an anglo-centic website. Winners write history, I guess.
    Oh, shut up. That's not what you did at all.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

I don't think you have a firm grasp on the concept of bias.

• Options
    Elldren wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    Again, do you seriously want people to accept that a dozen guys on a barren rock in the middle of the Atlantic is the same as an entire country like Tibet getting invaded and having its culture systematically dismantled? Your comparison amply demonstrates the thundering lack of understanding of the situation.

Hell, why not say the British are the Nazis, and those dozen guys were like Czechkoslovakia?

Like I said, it's a difference of scale. The theft of land and the destruction of culture was common in those days, and just because it concerns less people in the argentinian case doesn't make it any less wrong than say, the french in maghreb or the british in india.

These are completely different things

completely and utterly

1. People in the area were removed
    2. Culture was destroyed
    3. ???
    4. Profit

It just happens that in Tibet, etc. there were millions of people and a huge amount of culture. But it's fundamentally similar, even on a micro-scale.

Flame_Shot.gif Light a fire for a man and he'll be warm for a year. Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    It's easier to throw around accusations of race- and ethnocentrism than admit one's argument holds no water.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    There are multitudes of actual victims of oppression by white northerners. Literally billions of people adversely affected by colonialism. And all of them, upon reading this thread, would want to slap you.

poshniallo on
  • Options

1. People in the area were removed
    2. Culture was destroyed
    3. ???
    4. Profit

It just happens that in Tibet, etc. there were millions of people and a huge amount of culture. But it's fundamentally similar, even on a micro-scale.

There was no one removed, and no culture was destroyed. Unless you are granting penguins sentience.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    None of that happened

no, not even the profit

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    adytum wrote: »
    It wasn't a difference of scale. There was no theft of land or destruction of culture. Period, the end.

Do you have magical powers that modify facts just by saying so? That's pretty cool.

Flame_Shot.gif Light a fire for a man and he'll be warm for a year. Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    None of that happened

no, not even the profit

Yet, muahaha.

• Options
    It wasn't a difference of scale. There was no theft of land or destruction of culture. Period, the end.

Do you have magical powers that modify facts just by saying so? That's pretty cool.

He isn't modifying facts

he is stating them

Apparently you can just make up facts though

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular

What facts do you have that the rest of the world isn't privy to?

• Options
    It's easier to throw around accusations of race- and ethnocentrism than admit one's argument holds no water.

I'd like to see you trying to reply to new hostile comments every 2 seconds with a 500kb/s connection :P

• Options
    poshniallo wrote: »
    There are multitudes of actual victims of oppression by white northerners. Literally billions of people adversely affected by colonialism. And all of them, upon reading this thread, would want to slap you.

Wow, great, so now you're threatening me with violence, the same violence with which your govt wrenched lands from the defenseless natives all those years. History repeats itself.

• Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    I see you took option one: refuse to knowledge any facts which destroy my argument and belligerently play the martyr.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

Wow, great, so now you're threatening me with violence, the same violence with which your govt wrenched lands from the defenseless natives all those years. History repeats itself.

I feel like your reasoning is because Britain was at fault in Africa and India, they must be at fault here.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

You have spent almost zero effort in replying to any of the factual points raised by those with whom you are arguing. Your claim to be unbiased given your absolute refusal to acknowledge the facts with which you have been presented is frankly laughable.

But go on thinking this is you being victimised because you dare speaking truth to power if it makes you happy.

• Options

I feel like your reasoning is because Britain was at fault in Africa and India, they must be at fault here.
    It's like having a bad credit history, didn't you know?!

• Options
    Sargasso:

Are you actively denying the fact that Britain had a territorial claim to the island before Argentina was a country? There were no "Argentineans" on the island to be displaced. That would have required Argentina to exist at the time.

• Options
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    I see you took option one: refuse to knowledge any facts which destroy my argument and belligerently play the martyr.

I see you took option 0: hurling abuse at a specific user without contributing to the discussion in any way.

• Options

I see you took option 0: hurling abuse at a specific user without contributing to the discussion in any way.

All right, this guy has to be a bored Onion writer or something.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    I was under the impression that the Argentine authorities and the captain of the General Belgrano both conceded that the sinking was a legitimate wartime action?

It was a legitimate action, and yes, Bonzo (as you might expect from a decent captain) felt that his ship was fair game.

It was still morally reprehensible. The Belgrando's primary armaments were vintage cannons. In an era of missile & aircraft warfare. She did not pose a legitimate threat to the Royal Navy, was not 'manoeuvring into a pincer action' as Thatcher later alleged, and could've been easily repelled without loss of life by a single British surface ship firing a warning shot her way while out of her gun range. But Thatcher had it blown out of the water because hey don't fuck with me buddy!
    Aside from sinking the Belgrano, what other British actions during the war were strikingly awful?

About 1,000 men were taken prisoner at Goose Green after the surrender of the Argentinian forces. Again, most of these men were conscripts working in the army against their will. About 900 of the prisoners made it back to Argentina.

Sort-of disgustingly ironic that the British navy decided to engage in the same sort of punitive 'disappearing' actions favoured by the Argentinian fascist state after taking PoWs.

With Love and Courage
  • Options

I can't help it, the screams of Europe's faceless victims haunts me in my dreams. The kilometers of unmarked graves, were coolies simply dropped from exhaustion and humiliation. The sound of western machines drilling into the earth, taking all that is valuable.

• Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

I have been contributing to this thread for a while, I quoted facts to you in my first response, you ignored them.

Venkman90 on
  • Options

Yes, that is what his post is. It's Imperialism all over again.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »

You have spent almost zero effort in replying to any of the factual points raised by those with whom you are arguing. Your claim to be unbiased given your absolute refusal to acknowledge the facts with which you have been presented is frankly laughable.

But go on thinking this is you being victimised because you dare speaking truth to power if it makes you happy.

The "facts" you put forward were all from the english version of wikipedia, the encyclopedia anyone can edit. How else am I supposed to react?

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

2) Argentina is very poor and very run down for a country of it's size. What little wealth that hasn't been tapped by a variety of multinational organizations has been stolen by the government, leaving the public with decaying infrastructure and brutal police forces (they used to openly engage in 'disappearing' people; apparently this has stopped, and we're supposed to be impressed that law enforcement officials are no longer paid to kidnap & murder dissidents).

I'd have more sympathy for them if they weren't attempting to intimidate a nation with less then 1% of their population into submission in order to gain access to their oil, and hadn't previously engaged in imperialistic dick waving against the same islands a few decades ago.
    Obviously that's not any reason to support the actions of Agentina, but it's why a lot of people sympathize with that country instead of the wealthy & monolithic UK.
    Except it isn't the UK that is being confronted, it's ~again~ a comparativley tiny nation that happens to be part of the commonwealth.

• Options

That is not abuse

Nor does any of this contribute to the discussion

I do have some questions: why do you claim to be unbiased? Why the fixation on Tibet? What are your thoughts on the current inhabitants of the islands? What should be done with them should Argentina gain sovereignty over the islands?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

I can't help it, the screams of Europe's faceless victims haunts me in my dreams. The kilometers of unmarked graves, were coolies simply dropped from exhaustion and humiliation. The sound of western machines drilling into the earth, taking all that is valuable.

Wow, I didn't know that Europe is the sole origin of conquest, plunder, massacre, colonialism and general round jerkness. Oh, wait, no it isn't.

There have always been humans that attack and conquer other humans. It's only really in the last 150 years that we've realised how wrong that is. But to hold us responsible for the sins of our ancestors and demand that we are punished is pointless.

• Options
    About 1,000 men were taken prisoner at Goose Green after the surrender of the Argentinian forces. Again, most of these men were conscripts working in the army against their will. About 900 of the prisoners made it back to Argentina.

Sort-of disgustingly ironic that the British navy decided to engage in the same sort of punitive 'disappearing' actions favoured by the Argentinian fascist state after taking PoWs.

Wait, what? You're accusing Britain of murdering 100 Argentine POWs?

And yes, they were conscripts. When you're fighting against conscripts are you not supposed to fight back? What bearing on the war does the Argentine army being mostly conscripts make?

And hey, looking at the armament of the Belgrano it seems that they had some Sea Cat missiles and anti aircraft guns. Hardly antique cannon.

• Options
    The "facts" you put forward were all from the english version of wikipedia, the encyclopedia anyone can edit. How else am I supposed to react?

With facts culled from sources of your own. Do you have any? If not, how did you come by your opinions in the first place, given you can cite no sources from which they might have been originally informed?

• Options

I have been contributing to this thread for a while, I quoted facts to you in my first response, you ignored them.

If it makes you feel any better, no matter what I say in this thread, no matter how hard I try to make you guys see the truth, the UK will still keep its ill-gotten plunder.
    Nothing will change at all. So yeah feel free to be as sarcastic as you want, I will be crushed under the imperial boot whatever happens.

• Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular

Facts and sources of your own would be the usual way. Or does 'reason' amount to Western Imperialism™ now as well?

• Options
    I think we should accept how pointless further interaction with Sargasso will be and move on.

Ender - is it your contention that the UK should not have defended the Falklands during the first war?

• Options

Wow, I didn't know that Europe is the sole origin of conquest, plunder, massacre, colonialism and general round jerkness. Oh, wait, no it isn't.

There have always been humans that attack and conquer other humans. It's only really in the last 150 years that we've realised how wrong that is. But to hold us responsible for the sins of our ancestors and demand that we are punished is pointless.

While all countries have had their traditions of massacre, Europeans take the cake. Never have nations been so thoroughly controlled. Never has genocide been so thoroughly carried out. For example, of the native north americans, 2% percent remain. Europeans are master of their craft and make other countries look like peacekeepers in comparison

• Options
    was not 'manoeuvring into a pincer action' as Thatcher later alleged
    To this day intelligence analysts from the UK assert that it was, from signal intercept evidence.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I think we should accept how pointless further interaction with Sargasso will be and move on.

Ender - is it your contention that the UK should not have defended the Falklands during the first war?

Thatcher should have defended it, but on equal terms! Nothing but conscripted service and antiquated weaponary. It's hardly fair to fight a war where you're technologically and tactically superior to your opponents. Bloody unsportsmanlike, is what it is.

• Options
    Gaddez wrote: »

2) Argentina is very poor and very run down for a country of it's size. What little wealth that hasn't been tapped by a variety of multinational organizations has been stolen by the government, leaving the public with decaying infrastructure and brutal police forces (they used to openly engage in 'disappearing' people; apparently this has stopped, and we're supposed to be impressed that law enforcement officials are no longer paid to kidnap & murder dissidents).

I'd have more sympathy for them if they weren't attempting to intimidate a nation with less then 1% of their population into submission in order to gain access to their oil, and hadn't previously engaged in imperialistic dick waving against the same islands a few decades ago.
    Obviously that's not any reason to support the actions of Agentina, but it's why a lot of people sympathize with that country instead of the wealthy & monolithic UK.
    Except it isn't the UK that is being confronted, it's ~again~ a comparativley tiny nation that happens to be part of the commonwealth.

... a tiny nation that happens to have the full support of the UK, including a full garnison. They are also still under UK jurisdiction, even if they are not part of the UK itself. Don't try to use semantic ploys to reverse the order of victims.

• Options

If it makes you feel any better, no matter what I say in this thread, no matter how hard I try to make you guys see the truth, the UK will still keep its ill-gotten plunder.
    Nothing will change at all. So yeah feel free to be as sarcastic as you want, I will be crushed under the imperial boot whatever happens.

Even if we were to agree that Britain shouldn't have taken the islands, why should 3000 people be punished for the crimes of long-dead people by being removed from their home? Should all the Protestants in Northern Ireland be kicked out because of English colonisation attempts 400 years ago even though nearly every one of them was born here, as was their parents and grandparents? Should my Polish work colleague and his parents be evicted from their home in Elblag because 70 years ago it was the German town of Elbing? Should thousands of Russian inhabitants of the Karelian Isthmus be relocated or forcibly made part of Finland?

After a point you can't just turn back the clock on these things.

This discussion has been closed.