As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] SPOILER ALL ME3 DISCUSSION. EVERY SINGLE BIT. EVEN HINTS.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    finnith wrote: »
    Great. At least the fanfic we used to get was ironic.

I feel ill.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Did anyone else really like...
    Javik? He wasn't my bro Garrus, but I thought he was a great character. I especially like how realistic he was in context of how his life was. He was jaded and cynical and felt violence was the answer. His attitude really reflected how a lifetime of constant conflict would affect a species.

I also like how they drew a parallel between Javik and Shepard.

I also like how he interacted with the other characters, he was a dick, but it was very belivable. I took him and Garrus on the final mission. Garrus cause he's my bro (even supported me when I confessed what I did to Wrex and Mordin) and Javik cause he deserves revenge.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    Great. At least the fanfic we used to get was ironic.

When a story ends with a distinct lack of catharsis I think it's only natural people will start writing different endings

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Well, just lost a Bronze match because two idiot Novaguards kept dying. God, these guys are just sad.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    For the sake of keeping the normalcy we just got.

Might I suggest that if you don't want to see people's fanfic rewrites...just don't read them.

It's what I'm doing.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    [spo
    Javik? He wasn't my bro Garrus, but I thought he was a great character. I especially like how realistic he was in context of how his life was. He was jaded and cynical and felt violence was the answer. His attitude really reflected how a lifetime of constant conflict would affect a species.

I also like how he interacted with the other characters, he was a dick, but it was very belivable. I took him and Garrus on the final mission. Garrus cause he's my bro (even supported me when I confessed what I did to Wrex and Mordin) and Javik cause he deserves revenge.

I haven't been that impressed with him so far
    he just feels super disconnected from the story. It seems like he ought to be super-involved, what with his whole lifetime of fighting the reapers and building a prothean superweapon to save the galaxy... but he just isn't. His single-mindedness makes him sort of boring, and his interactions with the rest of the henchmen aren't that great.

I guess that makes sense to some extent (like, how would it feel if you were in his position), but in the context of the game, meh.

plus he doesn't have any useful/standpoint powers, particularly.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    What the fucking fuck.

Reaper fight...Designator
    How in the shitting butt hell do I make the final slo-mo shot? I do exactly what I did for the previous 3 but it never locks. ARRGGHH

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Don't post fanfic. Literally nobody cares about fanfic.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Mulletude wrote: »
    What the fucking fuck.

How in the shitting butt hell do I make the final slo-mo shot? I do exactly what I did for the previous 3 but it never locks. ARRGGHH
    Just hold down the button and don't let go. Skip trying to dodge since you can't move anyway.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Ok, so my brother saw me solo four Geth in a silver match and now he wants to roll a vanguard. So I figure I'll roll a human adept or sentinal so he can have sick biotic explosions. Thing is, I've never played anything else except a vanguard. Which one is best for support and how do I play/spec/equip it?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    What the fucking fuck.

Just hold down the button and don't let go. Skip trying to dodge since you can't move anyway.

Do I have to zoom in on the aim as well? Seemed like it worked better(faster) when I zoomed in for the first 3 shots.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Beat the game just now.
    Everything was absolutely awesome and perfect up until the point where Shepard was lifted up by the glowing lift inside the Citadel, after the TIM confrontation.
    Seriously, up until that moment, everything was AMAZING. Absolutely top notch.
    And then you get a huge pile of shit served as your "endings".
    Despicable, seriously. Like the writers suddenly decided "We will now shit up the entire game. Why? Cause we can, fuck you."

Apart from that, amazing game, best in the trilogy and a worthy GOTY contender.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    PitaParkerPitaParker Registered User regular
    I didn't hate the ending but it should of at least been as comprehensive as Fallout: New Vegas which in my opinion went above and beyond explaining the effects of your actions throughout the game.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    There was something odd about the entirety of the Earth section. I dunno. I mean, it worked, but something felt off.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Ok, so my brother saw me solo four Geth in a silver match and now he wants to roll a vanguard. So I figure I'll roll a human adept or sentinal so he can have sick biotic explosions. Thing is, I've never played anything else except a vanguard. Which one is best for support and how do I play/spec/equip it?

...I don't like Human Sentinel much but I can comment for Human Adept.

For human adept, you pretty much want your entire movelist set up around warp bombs.

Take all the power/force damage bonus in your spec tree.

Spec Warp for the detonations boosts, same with Shockwave. As for lasting damage vs. increased weapon damage for warp...that's a matter of preference. I like lasting damage myself. But increased weapon damage makes your entire team's attacks more effective.

As for Singularity. Usually, I take hold more enemies, 20pts of damage/sec(because it has low cooldown anyway), and I like expand more than implosion. I don't keep my warps around for long so I rarely get it anyway.

Also...if you want a bit more durability you could forego putting the last point in shockwave or the spec class for a minor shield boost. That being said going glass cannon is cool as long as you play your support role well.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    What the fucking fuck.

Do I have to zoom in on the aim as well? Seemed like it worked better(faster) when I zoomed in for the first 3 shots.

Yeah. I zoomed in.

Also...I'm not sure if that would matter...but you could try moving back as close to the wall as you can.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Kai Leng
    "That was for Thane, you son of a bitch."

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Best cutscene ever

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    [spo

he just feels super disconnected from the story. It seems like he ought to be super-involved, what with his whole lifetime of fighting the reapers and building a prothean superweapon to save the galaxy... but he just isn't. His single-mindedness makes him sort of boring, and his interactions with the rest of the henchmen aren't that great.

I guess that makes sense to some extent (like, how would it feel if you were in his position), but in the context of the game, meh.

I can respect that. I disagreed with him on a lot of things, especially when it came to his reactions to EDI and Legion. He told me to toss him out the airlock. But I still think he was true to his experiances of a lifetime of fighting a losing war, knowing his species went extinct, and finding out that the rest were turned into the Collectors.

He was pretty useful with a vanguard in terms of mechanics. Dark channel ability spreads nicely, so constant charge and nova explosions.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    It's too bad Bioware never attempted scenes in which you have large numbers on your side as well.
    It would be really nice to see Krogan, Geth and Quarians fighting with you rather than just the one Mako or soldier that gets killed shortly after you arrive.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Dashui wrote: »
    Kai Leng

Best cutscene ever

It was wasn't it.

The only problem I have with that scene is I feel
    Vanguard should have got a special variation where they punch a hole right through his fucking chest.

It's too bad Bioware never attempted scenes in which you have large numbers on your side as well.
    It would be really nice to see Krogan, Geth and Quarians fighting with you rather than just the one Mako or soldier that gets killed shortly after you arrive.

That's probably hardware limitations more than anything.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    a
    Dashui wrote: »
    Kai Leng

Best cutscene ever

Probably one of my most hated video game characters ever.
    Didn't help that he had magical plot armor :/

But it was super awesome to shank him.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    Beat the game just now.
    Everything was absolutely awesome and perfect up until the point where Shepard was lifted up by the glowing lift inside the Citadel, after the TIM confrontation.
    Despicable, seriously. Like the writers suddenly decided "We will now shit up the entire game. Why? Cause we can, fuck you."

I'm glad there's (mostly) consensus on the fact that everything prior to the elevator and the godkid was great. I certainly think it was.

• Options

...I don't like Human Sentinel much but I can comment for Human Adept.

For human adept, you pretty much want your entire movelist set up around warp bombs.

Take all the power/force damage bonus in your spec tree.

Spec Warp for the detonations boosts, same with Shockwave. As for lasting damage vs. increased weapon damage for warp...that's a matter of preference. I like lasting damage myself. But increased weapon damage makes your entire team's attacks more effective.

As for Singularity. Usually, I take hold more enemies, 20pts of damage/sec(because it has low cooldown anyway), and I like expand more than implosion. I don't keep my warps around for long so I rarely get it anyway.

Also...if you want a bit more durability you could forego putting the last point in shockwave or the spec class for a minor shield boost. That being said going glass cannon is cool as long as you play your support role well.

Ok, I'll give a shot. Thanks.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Yeah. The only problem with Human adept is that the only move it has to detonate warp is shockwave. So you have to get a little close.

Human Adept is more of a mid-range fighter than Asari or Drell.

But that's only with Geth or Reapers(who have a lot of armor), Cerberus don't have armor only so you can Sing -> Warp most of them.

Also...remember that Warp reduces armor effectiveness. Making Altas and Banshees soft so your team can pound on them.
    Klyka wrote: »
    Beat the game just now.

I'm glad there's (mostly) consensus on the fact that everything prior to the elevator and the godkid was great. I certainly think it was.

Yeah. Honestly...now that I look back on it I thought most people were complaining about the stuff before that happens. Why I disagreed so strongly.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    oh man sur'kesh
    the dialouge is really great, brought garrus and javik so good. the bromance going with wrex and garrus warms my cockles.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    spoiler regarding mordin:
    holy shit :(

you have to be really cold to do this ..
    renegading the krogan cure:

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Z0re wrote: »
    Visserian wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    We should all post our fan ending rewrites. Mine would be something like (I went totally overboard putting on my fake dime-store sci-fi writer cap):
    The Catalyst is basically the same, though in addition to looking like the little kid, it should switch between various people that have died as a result of the player's actions as it talks (Virmire sacrifice/Wrex/Mordin/Rachni queen/etc). The Catalyst will admit to controlling the reapers.

It was using the reapers and organics as a means to create the Crucible. It seeded the organic life with the very basic outline for the Crucible and was relying upon the cycle of reapers harvesting organic life in order to force the organics to attempt to develop it further towards completion, like a selective pressure. Each time the reapers would succeed and whatever was left of the plans for a weapon against the reapers would be left over for the next generation. Basically it had been using the galaxy as a selective algorithm to build something so complex that nothing in the universe could understand how it really worked, even the Catalyst. At the same time, the reapers would incorporate the best aspects of the organics they harvested into themselves so that they could continue to have an advantage over the next cycle of organic life. When they reached a cycle of organic life in which the organics were able to dock the weapon to the Catalyst before the Reapers wiped them out, then they would know the Crucible was finally complete.

The purpose of the Crucible is to re-collapse the universe. As it is, the universe would eventually succumb to heat death. The Crucible would reset the universe to prevent this from happening. The Catalyst implies that while it's impossible to know, the universe has probably been restarted this way many times. It also implies that when the universe is restarted, things are likely to happen very similarly to the way they have this time around but with some differences so it's possible that in the next universe Shepard would not have lost all those people (a nod to all the different ways that someone can play through the game), and there is some possibility that the next universe created won't be terminally doomed.

Shepard then has a choice: she can allow the Catalyst to activate the Crucible and restart the universe thereby killing everyone but preventing heat death, or she can back-fire the Crucible to destroy the Catalyst and doom the entire universe to one day succumb to entropy.

If Shepard chooses to destroy the Catalyst, then she destroys the network that connects all the Reapers, making them vulnerable in the same way the Geth were made vulnerable when their connection to the Reaper was destroyed. Your fleet fights against the Reapers and based on your war asset score the galaxy will either be left still strong or almost totally destroyed, and Shepard might die or be rescued.

If Shepard chooses to activate the Catalyst then the ending will change based off the idea that the Crucible took damage if the fleet wasn't big enough. It will show a scene that is implied to take place in the next universe. For low scores it'll imply that the same cycle of reapers will happen over again; for higher scores it will hint at a universe that isn't plagued by the reapers.

For me I would do...
    Only two Options I would like.

1 - Keep everything the same up until Hackett contacts Shepard saying the Catalyst isn't working. Shep pushes some buttons and dies just as he sets off the catalyst. It wipes out the reapers. The characters mourn Shep. With a nice epilogue for the characters, ending with Shep's love interest giving a VO eulogy at his grave, and saluting him.

2 - Keep it all the same, up to and including the Star Child. After the Star Child gives him his 3 options, Shepard turns to him and says no. He would say something like "Synthetics and Organics can hate each other and try to kill each other, or they can grew to be more than that. EDI is a crew member and a fully realized person in her own right. And I would lay down my life for her as she would for me. The Geth and Quarians have hated each other for centuries, but they have moved past that, and are trying to build a stronger future. Sure the road may be bumpy but its our choice, our successes and our failures, that should determine who we are and what we do. Not you. You have murdered trillions or more over the course of history. I won't play your game."

Shepard would then contact the Hackett, he would tell Hackett something like "Admiral, I figured it out. Pull all your forces off their attack on the Reapers and destroy the Citadel. Its the central hub that controls the Reapers (similar but grander in scope to the Geth one). Its the key to everything. The Crucible was just a Reaper trap."

Then have the forces assault and destroy the citadel.

Depending on your EMS.
    Too low, Reapers overpower the fleet and win the war.
    Moderate, Fleet wins but takes massive casualties, including the Normandy.
    High, Fleet wins, Shepard dies, Normandy survives.
    VERY high, fleet wins, Shepard escapes, Normandy survives.

Enter Epilogue.
    Eh, while 1 is okay I guess 2 is godawful and totally undermines the entire point of the game and every sacrifice of every character.

You can't beat the Reapers conventionally, you barely wipe out a dozen out of millions through extreme sacrifice and effort. To have that all thrown out at the end of the game makes the entire game fucking pointless and completely contradicts the fact that at least two fleets were wiped out to a man just getting you to the Crucible.

Seriously, the Reapers are not defeatable by conventional methods. Thats why they threw so much at the crucible in the first place. If its not their only hope the game doesn't work at all and you have to throw out a hell of a lot more.

I mean shit, it took the entire Quarian Fleet several volleys to take down one Destroyer class Reaper while hitting its weak spot while it wasn't firing back at them. Reversing that at the end of the game is absolute shit writing for the sake of having a happy ending.

It also means Mordin, Thane and such died for absolutely nothing because we could have just beaten up the Reapers from day 1.

Congrats, here your choices are so pointless that literally the only thing you can do is make everything worse!

It amazes me that people who hate the ending always write out alternatives that exacerbate the problems they identify with the original.

Um. But
    If blowing up the Citadel destroyed the Reapers (or took out their central server or whatever) then they weren't defeated through conventional means. They easily could have said that the crucible hooks into the servers making them vulnerable and having that slowly dawn on Shep as he talks to Star Kid. Then he realizes it and goes with the "Except I don't have to choose your options and I can break the cycle by doing THIS." and they blow the fuck out of the citadel, which could still destroy the relays, still destroy the reapers, but improve the ending a bit. Then a nice little credit roll with small screens of your remaining living party members rebuilding things. Thus the crucible is still useful, the citadel is shown to be very important, Shep still dies, and everyone is hunky doory. Just give the option for the other crappy endings AND this new one.

I don't see how that's any worse than what we got.

And who wrote fan fiction?

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »

I couldn't watch the whole thing. After he said the line on the splash screen, I just closed the tab.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Nope not watching nope. Never watching that everrrrrrr.

Because I am a sissy.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    There was something odd about the entirety of the Earth section. I dunno. I mean, it worked, but something felt off.

One thing I really liked about that section at the end
    Running down a hill towards the conduit felt exactly like racing toward the conduit in ME1.

• Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »

Because I am a sissy.

you should
    it's really well done

• Options
    I will say...that's some ME1 Shepard right there.

...I'm glad I watched it though...because I will never see it personally.

• Options
    Dox the PI wrote: »

Because I am a sissy.

you should
    it's really well done

That along with Rannoch.

Fuuuuuuck.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Entire team of Quarian infilitrators + Geth + Gold Mission = Spectre Pack Pain Train

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    [spo

I can respect that. I disagreed with him on a lot of things, especially when it came to his reactions to EDI and Legion. He told me to toss him out the airlock. But I still think he was true to his experiances of a lifetime of fighting a losing war, knowing his species went extinct, and finding out that the rest were turned into the Collectors.

He was pretty useful with a vanguard in terms of mechanics. Dark channel ability spreads nicely, so constant charge and nova explosions.

I liked him a lot, but I wish he wasn't in the game.
    It makes the whole reveal on Thessia and Liara's complete inability to believe it so weird. You already know that the Protheans interfered in pre-spaceflight civilizations. That they were guiding their progress. You know it because this dude has been sitting in your cargo bay the whole damn game talking about it. But then you see this Prothean VI which should be a seriously big deal since you don't even know what real Protheans (since the collectors were corrupted) would look or sound like, but having Javik on the ship with you the whole time really sucks all the excitement out of that moment. At least it did for me.

While I do like his story and interactions, I think the overall story would have been stronger without him.

• Options
    Orca wrote: »

Because I am a sissy.

you should
    it's really well done

That along with Rannoch.

Fuuuuuuck.

Questions about Rannoch...is it true that.
    If you let the Quarian Fleet get destoryed Tali commits suicide?

• Options
    Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular

Okay.
    I am never playing full Renegade. :(

• Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular

The sad part is you make this really horrific decision but then there ultimately isn't much benefit to you---unless, of course you think it's that important to keep the krogan from breeding.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Because I am a sissy.

you should
    it's really well done

That along with Rannoch.

Fuuuuuuck.

Yes. She sobs, takes off her mask, and then swan dives off the cliffs.

There's a paragon interrupt to try to save her.

You still fail. :(

• Options

Because I am a sissy.

you should
    it's really well done

That along with Rannoch.

Fuuuuuuck.

Yes. She sobs, takes off her mask, and then swan dives off the cliffs.

There's a paragon interrupt to try to save her.

You still fail. :(

Goodness...they really aren't pulling any punches this time around.

This discussion has been closed.