As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

a

• Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »
    Sharp10r wrote: »
    Got my iPad from Best Buy today. But restoring from the cloud takes forever! It's still downloading all my aps from my configuratuion.
    Now, how do you all handle his and her iPads? I'm thinking same apple is so she can access all apps and music- but does that mean we can't use find my friend and we have to share the documents in iWork? Can she have her own game center Id?

For music you can adjust your playlists by mass editing your music to a year, and hers to another, then make two separate playlists based upon year, then set it to sync selected music only.

Might be able to do a game centre thing I'll stick an @vivixenne in here as she managed to desync her phone from getting all my iMessages (which never was a problem until I had an iPad)

@Sharp10r

I solved the his/her iDevice thing by opening up Settings -> Mail/Contacts and then creating a new iCloud account... activate it and link it to the apps that can use it that she'd like to keep separate from yours, and voila there you go

you can still use the "joint" Apple ID to buy apps and such, but this one is specifically for apps that are using iCloud, like iMessages, E-mails, etc

not sure about Game Centre as I've always had an account separate to Blake's - my impression was that I just made a new one via Game Centre and iClouds and Apple IDs didn't have anything to do with it

Thanks! That is perfect. Also.... As said above... I just can't believe how this text looks. Am I just forgetting regular pc monitors or is this objectively better? Maybe I've never owned high quality monitors (but I do have a 28" iMac.) anyway- wow. Just- wow.
    Not to mention dictation,

• Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    I just purchased my first Apple device ever, a white third generation iPad. All of my co-workers were incredibly surprised because I've always been an Android guy, but after owning three different android tablets (including the Transformer Prime, the best out of the lot) I'm kind of liking this thing. I miss widgets and how easy it was to do certain things like transfer files over WiFi, but I'm assuming there are applications that will do the same on this.

Does anyone have a particular comic book reader they like for iOS? I'm using Stanza now and it's pretty great (especially on this screen) but it takes a while to open up files. More importantly would be an easy way to transfer .cbr/cbz files to the Pad, as Dropbox tends to take a while. Are there any apps that will let me transfer any file-type over WiFi or through the USB cable?

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    I just purchased my first Apple device ever, a white third generation iPad. All of my co-workers were incredibly surprised because I've always been an Android guy, but after owning three different android tablets (including the Transformer Prime, the best out of the lot) I'm kind of liking this thing. I miss widgets and how easy it was to do certain things like transfer files over WiFi, but I'm assuming there are applications that will do the same on this.

Does anyone have a particular comic book reader they like for iOS? I'm using Stanza now and it's pretty great (especially on this screen) but it takes a while to open up files. More importantly would be an easy way to transfer .cbr/cbz files to the Pad, as Dropbox tends to take a while. Are there any apps that will let me transfer any file-type over WiFi or through the USB cable?

I installed ComicBookLover since it's free because I just wanted to play around with reading comics on the iPad and because I didn't know which features I'd want out of a paid app. I'm honestly not sure if I'm even going to bother with a paid one at this point as it's pretty nice. Syncing comics to it is easy and includes instructions on how to do it within the app. Give it a try and then decide from there if you need one that's more feature rich.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    @Mai-Kero I bought Comic Zeal last night, and so far I really like it. I was trying to decide between Comic Zeal and Comic Glass, and while Comic Glass is a little cheaper I prefer Comic Zeal's layout and visual design.

To transfer files to it you select your device in iTunes, goto the Apps section, scroll down to File Sharing, and from there you can upload files to your iPad. You can sync over WiFi or through USB.

I've been having a hard time getting iTunes to WiFi sync at all with my iPad but it does it fine with my iPhone and iPod Touch. Do I have to plug it in whenever I want to WiFi sync?

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Having to plug in to sync over wifi might be the worst thing I've ever heard.

• Options

It's bugging the hell out of me. If I plug it in to the wall charger it wont sync, but if I plug it in to the USB on my computer it syncs fine which completely defeats the point of WiFi sync.

• Options
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Fyi, if you are super concerned about damaging your iPad, then forget a case and just cough up the cash for Applecare+.

Even the best case will probably not survive a fall unscathed, so might as well get the service that lets you set the thing on fire in front of the Apple Store clerk and get a replacement for fifty bones.
    Disclosure: I work for Best Buy.
    Alt option: Get it from Best Buy with BTP for the same price as Applecare+, with no deductible. Applecare+ costs $99 for a 16gb iPad, Best Buy's accidental plan does too. Applecare+ gives you up to two instances of breakage, and you have to pay an extra $50 each time. Best Buy's accidental has no extra payment, but is used up after one event. When you turn your iPad in after a break, you get a gift card for what you paid. At Apple, you can only do an exchange for the same model (unless they no longer stock it, I would imagine.)
    I feel like Best Buy's is better in most scenarios, as if you break it you've paid $100 for a replacement instead of $150, and you can swap it out more than twice. If you break your iPad twice, Applecare's is cheaper by $100, but if you break it three times, you're out of luck, whereas with Best Buy you can keep getting the plan. The real benefit to Best Buy's is that if you break it after a new iPad comes out, you can get an upgrade to the new generation for the cost of the plan.

• Options
    On a side note, having an iPad makes me want a Macbook for my next notebook. Right now, I've got a Windows 7 notebook, a Windows 7 desktop, an android phone, and an iOS tablet. I want to replace my Asus Ul50 (which has served me well) with a Macbook, so I'll have a good portfolio of every important OS.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Another warranty option to consider is SquareTrade, which should be cheaper than both AppleCare and Best Buy.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

Good job you don't have to do that then.
    Yes it happens automatically when you do, but that doesn't make that the only way; there's a manual sync button in the wifi sync settings page on the iPad and on the "<name>'s iPad" page of iTunes.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Good job you don't have to do that then.
    Yes it happens automatically when you do, but that doesn't make that the only way; there's a manual sync button in the wifi sync settings page on the iPad and on the "<name>'s iPad" page of iTunes.

For whatever reason mine will never show in iTunes unless it is plugged in even thought have wifi sync enabled. Both my iPhone and iPod touch sync wirelessly without issues buy mt iPad will not.

Nevermind, when I turned my PC on today my iPad connected wirelessly to iTunes.

Cormac on
  • Options
    technicaltechnical Registered User regular
    So this is my first iPad(white bezel and love it) and could not be happier. The 3rd gen's screen is incredible and I love that it's such a joy to look at.

Using a smart cover and I'm pretty happy with it. Thinking of getting a sleeve for it though for transporting it. I don't feel comfortable throwing it in my bag naked. Any good suggestions?

3DS FC: 3050-8986-0512

PSN: technical_ta
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Asked this in the other thread but I'll see if you dudes have any ideas, anyone know a good doodle app? What specifically I want is for it to sync to Dropbox, or another way to share online. And preferably it to copy the new URL into my clipboard.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Haven't tried it myself but what about penultimate? Saw that in the store..

poo
  • Options
    Anyone with an iCade test it on the new iPad? Also, are you all getting a burning sensation on your left hand? (bottom left of iPad)

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    burning...sensation?

it gets a little warm if i'm playing a game

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it occasionally gets pretty warm when I'm playing a graphically intensive game or something, but it isn't bad. I've heard reports of some people saying theirs is getting too hot to hold on to, but I have a feeling that people may be exaggerating a bit. Mine is a wifi only model though. Maybe the LTE models get warmer? I dunno, my iPhone 4 can get pretty warm sometimes when it's searching for a good signal.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Mine gets a little warm but it doesn't particularly bother me. It feels about the same, but not nearly as warm, as a cellphone when I've been having a long conversation on it.

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Asked this in the other thread but I'll see if you dudes have any ideas, anyone know a good doodle app? What specifically I want is for it to sync to Dropbox, or another way to share online. And preferably it to copy the new URL into my clipboard.

Sketchbook Pro seems to be the popular choice. It also syncs to Dropbox.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    it's funny how, using the 99 dollar touchpad i had, i used it for a bit and was like, i will get bored with this

but the ipad actively makes me want to use it forever because of how great it is and awesome for using the internet, and that's not even considering the many many useful apps and games

poo
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Guys, I bought an iPhone 4s. Make me feel one of the group! The whole iPhone cult thing.

Also, I need gamecenter buddies. Add me, I'm Stormwatcher33

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    it's funny how, using the 99 dollar touchpad i had, i used it for a bit and was like, i will get bored with this

but the ipad actively makes me want to use it forever because of how great it is and awesome for using the internet, and that's not even considering the many many useful apps and games
    Now you see.

There really isn't any competition on the tablet front right now. Android has some of the closest options, but there really isn't anything out there that can match the usability experience of the iPad. Shit just works.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Yeah, my wife has an iPad 2, and it's a joy to use. I love the four and five finger commands. Make sure to turn them on. It feels like Minority Report on my lap. Ok, that sounded weird. But it does.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    syndalis wrote:

Now you see.

There really isn't any competition on the tablet front right now. Android has some of the closest options, but there really isn't anything out there that can match the usability experience of the iPad. Shit just works.

i always knew, having used my friends one and being an iPhone person. i just didn't really want it bad enough until this retina screen coinciding with me getting a raise. and now i am so happy.

it's not that it just works. it's that it works so beautifully and smoothly that it makes you want to use it.

poo
  • Options
    syndalis wrote:

Now you see.

i always knew, having used my friends one and being an iPhone person. i just didn't really want it bad enough until this retina screen coinciding with me getting a raise. and now i am so happy.

it's not that it just works. it's that it works so beautifully and smoothly that it makes you want to use it.

I spent far more time doing internet things in my iPad than my PC this weekend. It's just such an enjoyable device to use.

I also switched from a Droid X to a 4S last week, and so far I like it a lot. It's a big change but so far I like pretty much everything about the 4S more. Much like the iPad, it's just such a pleasure to use. I don't play too many games yet, but my gamecenter name is Gridlynk.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Since I got my iPad2 last year, I basically stopped using my desktop for internet things, or anything not gaming related really.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    i like verbs as a chat client except that it doesnt support buddy groups :(

poo
  • Options
    IM+ pro is good except i dont like the look so much

poo
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I've been using IMO for Google Talk and it's been sufficient. It's free, has push notifications, no adds as far as I can tell, and looks halfway decent.

Cormac on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I like Beejive

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Can I ask about jailbreaking here? I just got a 4s. It's still on 5.0.1. Is there an untethered jailbreak available for that? Or for 5.1? Or should I hold off on updating?

• Options
    Fun new iPad feature? When I install an app on my new iPad it also installs the app on my wife's iPad which is my old iPad.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    @sharp10r Yep, that's an iCloud/App Store feature that rolled out not too long ago. You can have it auto-download any purchases you make on all your devices. Apps, movies, music, etc.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Got my jailbreak working. Question: I want an invisible status bar when I'm in the lockscreen and looking at apps, but not when I'm actually in an app. I'm using "invisible status bar" right now and it works great except it also makes it invisible in apps, which causes the time/date/battery percentage to invert and look weird. Any ideas?

edit: Fixed that too. Used a different transparent app, worked great.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    Fun new iPad feature? When I install an app on my new iPad it also installs the app on my wife's iPad which is my old iPad.

you can fix it by turning off the auto icloud sync on settings

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular

you can fix it by turning off the auto icloud sync on settings

No, it's in Settings->Store. It isn't an iCloud feature at all, really, and predates iCloud by a year or so.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    oh, i thought i saw it in icloud settings
    never had it happen to me though

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    I've been having a weird problem lately, and I'm not sure if it's iOS 5.1 related. I haven't yet enabled iTunes Match on my iPhone, and I'm still manually (wirelessly) syncing songs over from iTunes. For some reason, it's not copying over album artwork, even though the art is there in iTunes. This is very recent, and I think it started after I upgraded to 5.1. I have to go in to iTunes and select the tracks that are on my phone, go to Get Info, and copy artwork that I've saved to my hard drive. But this won't take the first time so I usually have to do it twice. It's a huge pain. Has anyone else noticed this?

• Options
    Is there a podcast downloader/iphone sync program I can use other than iTunes? Because iTunes on Win7 is a slow piece of crap, and I am tired of it.

• Options
    I really like Pocket Casts. I've read Instacast is also supposed to be quite good, but to me it's kind of ugly looking compared to Pocket Casts.