Options

Take My [Chat] Away!

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    My ass is killing me. Damn you squats and lunges.

DAMN YOU TO HELL

I've been doing a ton of those for a while and I have no pain.

And therefore no gain.

I was doing this with a 9lb bar on my shoulders. Then we dropped low and did small ...I forgot what it's called but I want to say vibrations.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Everyone was clearly not considered part of the militia. Are you really so resistant to the idea that we should solve the healthcare problem without allowing the government to regulate a decision not to act and force me to buy a product from a private entity?

If the only repercussion of your refusal was a tax penalty, I'm fine with it.

Not if the act carried criminal repercussions, as Sotomayor mused.

If you believe there will be no financial, legal, and criminal repercussions for failing to pay a penalty to the IRS, I have some prime oceanfront property in Kansas for sale very cheap! I can let you in on the ground floor here, one time opportunity.

What I'm saying is that you're asking me to trust that the government that just ordered me to buy insurance because failing to do so would mean dire consequences for this amazing law will continue to just let it slide forever if I refuse.

Pull the other one!

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Getting the average Price of a Playstation 1 console and a Blu Ray player as dictated by eBay, I calculate the minimum value of a Playstation 3 to be £55, or approximately $80.

You don't understand Ludious pricing.

I value a tablet, any tablet at 99.99

Ludious pricing is the "price ludious is willing to pay"

and as such the rule of the land

• Options
    Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular
    Yeah actually, I worked out to the point of near vomit yesterday and nothing hurts.

The hell.

yGxvf.png
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    On the west, it's kinda interesting how the country is blue and the cities red.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    If we keep the good shit everyone can agree on in the ACA (eliminating pre-existing conditions), but don't accept the mandates, the shiftless free riders will either be taking money out of the pockets of the responsibly insured or the entire health insurance system will collapse.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Reps?

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Ahh, isn't the general welfare part in the preamble? I didn't think that was actually part of the Constitution. Also no one is arguing it before the SCOTUS today,so I don't think it really is a factor regardless.

The Obama administration's interpretation does seem to grant it extremely broad regulatory power, in effect saying "all the things you cannot avoid doing? we can control how you do them".
    The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

Article 1, Section 8. It is also in the preamble.

Ok. The government, I assume, isn't arguing from this clause because they say the mandate penalty isn't a tax, so they can't say they're levying the tax for the general welfare of the people.

Neat!

I was merely pointing out that the general welfare clause does exist beyond the preamble. I believe the ACA falls comfortably within the interstate commerce clause.

"I didn't think the preamble was actually part of the Constitution" may be one of the dumber things I've read on this forum.

The preamble sets out what the government is for, i.e. the sorts of laws and actions that the constitution is supposed to support. The rest is all just limitation on government power to protect the rights espoused within the preamble.

There aren't any rights espoused in the preamble! WTF man? And I meant a binding part of the Constitution.

We, the People, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, ensure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty, to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

There are no rights in the Preamble. I think you are confused here, dude.

(I wrote that out from memory!)

@Spool32 Yeah, saying rights was a slip up, I mean ideas or concepts espoused.

But all you strict construtctionists love to go after the "meaning of the founders" which is exactly what the preamble is for. Guildelines for interpretation of what follows.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

DAMN YOU TO HELL

I love squats!

But then the bulk of my mass and like 98% of my strength is in my legs.

Most of me strength is in my legs as well, but it's been since December since I worked out. So getting back into the swing of things is hell on my body. But the pain feels good. I just wish I could sit on the toilet without going "NNnNNnnNGGHHHHH"

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Eliminate pre-existing conditions? That's one of the main things that is fucking so many people up in this country. How can you eliminate one of the most important parts?

• Options
    I need to do some pilates movements tonight for missing pilates class today. Good thing I can make it to the one tomorrow.

Pain all up in my abs.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Hey PAX goers, Curse is having a party with Open bar

curse.com/news/curse/44622-rsvp-now-to-curses-pax-east-party-for-your

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    bought some mega millions tickets

totally gonna win.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    (3:22:58 PM) Dan: why is it so friggin hard to buy a good pair of cleats
    (3:23:28 PM) Matt: i know, i was just saying the other day, it's friggin hard to buy a good pair of cleats
    (3:23:50 PM) Dan: dang straight
    (3:23:52 PM) Matt: (i didn't actually say that)
    (3:23:52 PM) Dan: ya feel me
    (3:24:17 PM) Dan: well, you probably said something like "I like a nicely shaped penis" but i get what you meant
    (3:24:25 PM) Matt: every time i look down, yes.
    (3:24:35 PM) Dan: TIL...
    (3:24:42 PM) Matt: oh right, "today".

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

totally gonna win.

Tax on hope all up ins.

• Options
    If watching TV at home vs watching it in a bar or something was 1/6th of the economy and you not doing so costs the government and taxpayers a ton of money, I would definitely consider regulating this.

"It's really expensive not to" is not a Constitutional justification for regulating something.

9 out of every 10 pro-mandate arguments devolve to "but we really want to do it! A lot!"

that is total disengenious bullshit spool. Seriously, this is full on partisan-shill slobbering Rupert Murdocks shriveled impotent cock.

Good to see you back in the prime of health, Riemann!

Indeed. And aparently the worst of my judgements of your intellect and character are well founded.

Because you don't like the ACA you immediately jump to "9 out of every 10 pro-mandate arguments devolve to "but we really want to do it! A lot!"".

That is utter bullshit and just shows that you are unwilling (incapable? possibly) to even approach this subject in anything but dishonest asshatery.

If, by some huge chance, you are willing to retract your post and actually think about this issue I would urge you to take a look at this (and the massive number of links contained within): http://balkin.blogspot.com/2012/03/understanding-affordable-care-act.html

edit: especially this one: http://volokh.com/2012/03/09/understanding-justice-scalias-concurring-opinion-in-raich/

I've been discussing it sensibly and reasonably for like 10 pages now. Stand down, dude. Fucking hell.
    Your scorched-earth bullshit and superior attitude is tiring as fuck.

• Options
    Hey PAX goers, Curse is having a party with Open bar

curse.com/news/curse/44622-rsvp-now-to-curses-pax-east-party-for-your

truly, TRULY nothing sounds more fun than getting drunk with a bunch of wow players who are totally into plugins.

• Options
    The slippery slope argument is an interesting one.

Since I literally never see it outside american politics.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

DAMN YOU TO HELL

And therefore no gain.

I was doing this with a 9lb bar on my shoulders. Then we dropped low and did small ...I forgot what it's called but I want to say vibrations.

Oh that's different. What kind of training are you doing?

yGxvf.png
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

DAMN YOU TO HELL

I love squats!

But then the bulk of my mass and like 98% of my strength is in my legs.

Most of me strength is in my legs as well, but it's been since December since I worked out. So getting back into the swing of things is hell on my body. But the pain feels good. I just wish I could sit on the toilet without going "NNnNNnnNGGHHHHH"

Ah fair enough :P

I only got back in the gym again in January, so I know that pain very well.

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

If you started seeing it outside American politics, then all arguments would be based on the slippery slope! D:

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Abdhyius wrote: »

slip n slides are an american made product and as such slippery slopes do not exist outside of the purview of murica

Ludious on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular

totally gonna win.

Tax on hope all up ins.

certainty is tax free.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    If the only repercussion of your refusal was a tax penalty, I'm fine with it.

Not if the act carried criminal repercussions, as Sotomayor mused.

If you believe there will be no financial, legal, and criminal repercussions for failing to pay a penalty to the IRS, I have some prime oceanfront property in Kansas for sale very cheap! I can let you in on the ground floor here, one time opportunity.

Oh, hi there, Ayn Rand.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    If watching TV at home vs watching it in a bar or something was 1/6th of the economy and you not doing so costs the government and taxpayers a ton of money, I would definitely consider regulating this.

"It's really expensive not to" is not a Constitutional justification for regulating something.

9 out of every 10 pro-mandate arguments devolve to "but we really want to do it! A lot!"

that is total disengenious bullshit spool. Seriously, this is full on partisan-shill slobbering Rupert Murdocks shriveled impotent cock.

Good to see you back in the prime of health, Riemann!

Indeed. And aparently the worst of my judgements of your intellect and character are well founded.

Because you don't like the ACA you immediately jump to "9 out of every 10 pro-mandate arguments devolve to "but we really want to do it! A lot!"".

That is utter bullshit and just shows that you are unwilling (incapable? possibly) to even approach this subject in anything but dishonest asshatery.

If, by some huge chance, you are willing to retract your post and actually think about this issue I would urge you to take a look at this (and the massive number of links contained within): http://balkin.blogspot.com/2012/03/understanding-affordable-care-act.html

edit: especially this one: http://volokh.com/2012/03/09/understanding-justice-scalias-concurring-opinion-in-raich/

I've been discussing it sensibly and reasonably for like 10 pages now. Stand down, dude. Fucking hell.
    Your scorched-earth bullshit and superior attitude is tiring as fuck.

If characterising the arguments for the legality of the ACA as "9 out of every 10 pro-mandate arguments devolve to "but we really want to do it! A lot!"" is your idea of "sensibly and reasonably" then you are nearly as insane as Scalia.

edit: especially since your posts on this page have made clear that you were never interested in the actual constitution or legal issues here. Your arguments are (they do not even need to devolve) purely anti-government paranoia.

If you want to argue the abstract ethics of government power that's fine. But don't pretend you are basing your position on the constitution and case law of the USA.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular

totally gonna win.

Tax on hope all up ins.

That's the polite way to put it.

My dad always called it "a tax on idiots".

Didn't stop me from buying the occasional ticket :D

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    spool, honest question here: why do you believe government should be small?

• Options

DAMN YOU TO HELL

And therefore no gain.

Well it's called TN'T, but I think it's really strength training. I do that, pilates and yoga. I'm hoping to fit in some cardio but I'm kind of hoping to not lose my new boobs.

• Options
    me3 spoilers
    spool is the illusive man

• Options
    because if someone would say if you vote for this, you'll probably vote for this too!

and then the other people could say

no because we're not for that. We're for this right here and point at some papers where they have written down the things they are for and against.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    PantsB wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    The law requiring people to buy a gun was only for those in the militia. Also, I was talking about the SCOTUS argument today, not circuit court opinions. Of course I'm speculating a bit, because I haven't heard the arguments yet - just read some available reviews.

That second quote is gold to me - from what I've read, one of the keys to getting the mandate declared unconstitutional is convincing justice Kennedy that there's no limiting principle. Anyhow, I hope the Justices don't find this logic persuasive - I want the government to be Constitutionally constrained, not just constrained by common sense or benevolent attitudes.

And everyone was considered part of the militia. If Congress said "everyone is part of the militia and every member of the militia must purchase health insurance" this would change your opinion?

Everyone was clearly not considered part of the militia. Are you really so resistant to the idea that we should solve the healthcare problem without allowing the government to regulate a decision not to act and force me to buy a product from a private entity?

there are other ways to fix this problem that don't involve such an unbounded expansion of federal regulatory power.

Its not an expansion of federal regulatory power. Its one that has long precedent going back to the decision that a farmer could be prohibited from growing wheat for personal consumption because he might have otherwise bought wheat as part of Congress's ability to regulate the interstate wheat market. Requiring people to have a minimum amount of health insurance as a portion of the regulating the health insurance market is not some kind of stretch from that.

Everyone who had rights was considered part of the militia. Would you still say this law was Unconstitutional if it was requiring all men 18-49 to buy guns? If it said everyone had to buy guns? If it said all men 18-49 had to buy health insurance?

Stop pretending its a legal complaint. Its a political complaint. You all but admit it: "there are other ways to fix this problem that don't involve such an unbounded expansion of federal regulatory power."

edit
    spool32 wrote:
    Slippery slope arguments aren't always fallacies. The exact same justification for the mandate also allows any sort of regulation on personal behavior with regards to health, including a gym membership, a pair of Nikes and a frequent shopper card at Wholefoods.
    So what? That's not a legal argument thats a "look at these dumb laws" argument.

85yr old men weren't part of the militia but had rights. I would say that a law requiring all people buy any product is unconstitutional, yes. Congress doesn't have the power to compel private enterprise when the individual is unwilling to engage in it.

It is an expansion of regulatory power, because it regulates doing nothing, as opposed to regulating some action taken.

I'm not pretending it's a legal complaint, and suggestions that I am reveal your partisan opinion. It IS a legal complaint. Your precedent (the wheat growing case, the militia case) don't apply to this case. Give me a bit to link you sources, I don't have them to hand.

spool32 on
  • Options
    Spool is indoctrinated by the reapers to cause division. Have us figthing amongst ourselves when we could be fighting the real enemy.

Religion.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Abd I beat you to that reference

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Damn I have to get my ass motivated on selling all this tabletop gaming stuff.

Im going to do it thursday when im off damnit!

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i think we should just give every american medicare.

there.

healthcare debate solved.

• Options
    The internal political tensions of America make me sad. Speaking from a nation that by its very nature can become hyperpartisan, I have at times seen depressing similarities. Not so much now, because everyone loves power, but still.

• Options

DAMN YOU TO HELL

And therefore no gain.

Well it's called TN'T, but I think it's really strength training. I do that, pilates and yoga. I'm hoping to fit in some cardio but I'm kind of hoping to not lose my new boobs.

there are ways to get uneven weightloss

they are all variants of liposuction

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    i think we should just give every american medicare.

there.

healthcare debate solved.

well golly gee get out the macy's floats and lets have a parade ORGANICHU HAS SOLVED EVERYTHING

ಠ_ಠ

• Options
    Ludious wrote: »
    Abd I beat you to that reference

I took yours out of the spoilers where they could not be read.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

DAMN YOU TO HELL

And therefore no gain.

Oh I want to do P90X. Alf did it and he got fucking hot in about two months.

yGxvf.png
This discussion has been closed.