As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Take My [Chat] Away!

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    I dreamed that Thanatos and I went on a fantastic roadtrip together last night

Seeing as how I don't know what Thanatos looks like, it was just Patrick Warburton
    I hate to disappoint, but I do not, in fact, look like Patrick Warburton.
    nobody does but patrick warburton

• Options
    Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    My ass is killing me. Damn you squats and lunges.

DAMN YOU TO HELL

I've been doing a ton of those for a while and I have no pain.

And therefore no gain.

I was doing this with a 9lb bar on my shoulders. Then we dropped low and did small ...I forgot what it's called but I want to say vibrations.

Oh that's different. What kind of training are you doing?

Well it's called TN'T, but I think it's really strength training. I do that, pilates and yoga. I'm hoping to fit in some cardio but I'm kind of hoping to not lose my new boobs.

Oh I want to do P90X. Alf did it and he got fucking hot in about two months.

I want to do P90X but only after I've been working out for awhile so I know I can handle it.

I think you can. You're not a tub of lard like Alf was when he started.

yGxvf.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    @Spool32 I know have stated the medicare for all argument numerous times. And you seem to ignore it. Would you be for removing the age requirement on medicare, as it was originally designed to do, and allowing people to buy into medicare at any age of their life? Basically medicare for all. It isn't free, you pay for it but it is universal government health insurance with a lower cost and overhead compared to private insurance. It would accomplish exactly what the ACA wants to accomplish by increasing access and lowering cost in the long run.

Edit: And would you be okay with it being a required purchase? It isn't private goods but a public service that you must be part off. In fact you could even call the cost a tax. In Japan it is considered a tax but you get direct benefits.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Abdhyius wrote: »

DAMN YOU TO HELL

And therefore no gain.

I was doing this with a 9lb bar on my shoulders. Then we dropped low and did small ...I forgot what it's called but I want to say vibrations.

Well it's called TN'T, but I think it's really strength training. I do that, pilates and yoga. I'm hoping to fit in some cardio but I'm kind of hoping to not lose my new boobs.

there are ways to get uneven weightloss

they are all variants of liposuction

What.

he's saying you can't lose fat 'evenly' or 'unevenly'. fat comes off the way it comes off; it's hardwired. regardless of whether you're doing yoga or pilates or lifting weights, if you end up burning more than you take in- and thus lose fat (setting aside musculature, catabolism etc)- it just comes off. you can't choose where it comes off.

so it doesn't matter to your boobs whether your five lbs of fat disappeared from jogging or from doing pilates.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Gooey remembers Ewoks as being much scarier looking than I do.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Eliminate pre-existing conditions? That's one of the main things that is fucking so many people up in this country. How can you eliminate one of the most important parts?

Here's the problem, and the exact reason we need universal health care.

Health plans don't want high utilizers, because they spend more than they put in.

The law requires plans to cover high utilizers, which is going to increase their costs.

If there isn't an influx of low utilizers paying premiums, then the plans will have to offset their costs some other way - mostly, by increasing premiums and reducing coverage.

This will make health coverage less attractive to even fewer people, causing more low utilizers to drop out, which reduces plan revenue, which will further increase premiums and reduce coverage... basically creating a death spiral.

We're already in this death spiral now, it is just very slow, because health insurance decisions for most people are made at the employer level.

You want to see a death spiral?
    Check out NYS's non-discriminatory individual health insurance premiums. Holy mother of fuck does that illustrate what you said above.

http://www.nyhealthinsurer.com/

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Organichu wrote: »

DAMN YOU TO HELL

And therefore no gain.

What.

he's saying you can't lose fat 'evenly' or 'unevenly'. fat comes off the way it comes off; it's hardwired. regardless of whether you're doing yoga or pilates or lifting weights, if you end up burning more than you take in- and thus lose fat (setting aside musculature, catabolism etc)- it just comes off. you can't choose where it comes off.

so it doesn't matter to your boobs whether your five lbs of fat disappeared from jogging or from doing pilates.

This is true. I've been severely anorexic and even then no localized workout made my love handles go away.

Disco Terrier on
    yGxvf.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

DAMN YOU TO HELL

And therefore no gain.

What.

This is actually controlled by a series of chemicals and hormones in your body that we don't really understand. But if it makes you feel better, @Mim, boobs and ass tend to be the first place fat goes to on a woman, and the last place it leaves. The same is true of the stomach on dudes.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    But if it makes you feel better, @Mim, boobs and ass tend to be the first place fat goes to on a woman, and the last place it leaves.

Just like eye contact.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    But if it makes you feel better, @Mim, boobs and ass tend to be the first place fat goes to on a woman, and the last place it leaves.

Just like eye contact.

It is sometimes a conscious effort to resist the urge to snatch a glance down. I dunno if it's hard wired or I'm just a lech.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »

85yr old men weren't part of the militia but had rights. I would say that a law requiring all people buy any product is unconstitutional, yes. Congress doesn't have the power to compel private enterprise when the individual is unwilling to engage in it.

It is an expansion of regulatory power, because it regulates doing nothing, as opposed to regulating some action taken.

I'm not pretending it's a legal complaint, and suggestions that I am reveal your partisan opinion. It IS a legal complaint. Your precedent (the wheat growing case, the militia case) don't apply to this case. Give me a bit to link you sources, I don't have them to hand.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wickard_v._Filburn (1942) - one of the most important Supreme Court cases of all time.

Due to problems in the wheat industry, the federal government regulated the industry by mandating a maximum amount of wheat a person could grow. Roscoe Filburn grew more wheat than he was allowed, but argued that since he didn't sell that wheat (instead using it for personal consumption), it was never commerce.
    Whether the subject of the regulation in question was 'production,' 'consumption,' or 'marketing' is, therefore, not material for purposes of deciding the question of federal power before us. That an activity is of local character may help in a doubtful case to determine whether Congress intended to reach it.... But even if appellee's activity be local and though it may not be regarded as commerce, it may still, whatever its nature, be reached by Congress if it exerts a substantial economic effect on interstate commerce and this irrespective of whether such effect is what might at some earlier time have been defined as 'direct' or 'indirect.'

It is well established by decisions of this Court that the power to regulate commerce includes the power to regulate the prices at which commodities in that commerce are dealt in and practices affecting such prices. [n28] One of the primary purposes of the Act in question was to increase the market price of wheat, and, to that end, to limit the volume thereof that could affect the market. It can hardly be denied that a factor of such volume and variability as home-consumed wheat would have a substantial influence on price and market conditions. This may arise because being in marketable condition such wheat overhangs the market, and, if induced by rising prices, tends to flow into the market and check price increases. But if we assume that it is never marketed, it supplies a need of the man who grew it which would otherwise be reflected by purchases in the open market. Home-grown wheat in this sense competes with wheat in commerce. The stimulation of commerce is a use of the regulatory function quite as definitely as prohibitions or restrictions thereon. This record leaves us in no doubt that Congress [p129] may properly have considered that wheat consumed on the farm where grown, if wholly outside the scheme of regulation, would have a substantial effect in defeating and obstructing its purpose to stimulate trade therein at increased prices.

It is said, however, that this Act, forcing some farmers into the market to buy what they could provide for themselves, is an unfair promotion of the markets and prices of specializing wheat growers. It is of the essence of regulation that it lays a restraining hand on the self-interest of the regulated, and that advantages from the regulation commonly fall to others. The conflicts of economic interest between the regulated and those who advantage by it are wisely left under our system to resolution by the Congress under its more flexible and responsible legislative process. [n29] Such conflicts rarely lend themselves to judicial determination. And with the wisdom, workability, or fairness, of the plan of regulation, we have nothing to do.

here we are.

http://volokh.com/2011/08/14/distinguishing-wickard/
    Wickard is striking not for its similarity to our present case, but in how different it is. Although Wickard represents the zenith of Congress’s powers under the Commerce Clause, the wheat regulation therein is remarkably less intrusive than the individual mandate.

http://volokh.com/2011/10/14/what-about-wickard/
    Under the AAA upheld by the Court, farmers were only indirectly “forced” to enter the market for interstate wheat by the exercise of Congress to prohibit them from growing more than a certain amount of wheat, not from directly mandating they do so; and remember, when Justice Jackson uses the word “forcing,” he is paraphrasing an objection to the scheme.
    The logic of Wickard is that people’s economic activity — such as the activity of wheat farmers — may be “restrict[ed]” even if such a restriction has the effect of “forcing” them into the interstate market over which Congress has control. The Court in Wickard scarcely could imagine, much less endorse, a direct command by Congress to farmers that they must buy interstate wheat.

http://volokh.com/2012/03/23/the-congress-can-do-whatever-it-wants-power/
    But more important, Wickard and Raich were both as-applied challenges, while the challenge to the individual mandate is a facial challenge.

So what Greenhouse is arguing is that because the Supreme Court has in the past refused to countenance as-applied challenges that sought to exempt local activity from a concededly broader scheme of the regulation of interstate commerce, facial challenges to laws that on the grounds they don’t regulate interstate commerce to begin with are also out of bounds.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »

i thought my animation of the at-st getting smashed with a log was pretty good

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Bogart wrote: »

Just like eye contact.

It is sometimes a conscious effort to resist the urge to snatch a glance down. I dunno if it's hard wired or I'm just a lech.

I think it is how heterosexual men are wired. At least partially. Yesterday during class one of the girls who I am friends with has a new hair cut and was wearing a tight shirt showing off her rather ample chest. It was hard not to gawk much of the class while my teacher rambled about stuff I already knew.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    @Spool32 I know have stated the medicare for all argument numerous times. And you seem to ignore it. Would you be for removing the age requirement on medicare, as it was originally designed to do, and allowing people to buy into medicare at any age of their life? Basically medicare for all. It isn't free, you pay for it but it is universal government health insurance with a lower cost and overhead compared to private insurance. It would accomplish exactly what the ACA wants to accomplish by increasing access and lowering cost in the long run.

Edit: And would you be okay with it being a required purchase? It isn't private goods but a public service that you must be part off. In fact you could even call the cost a tax. In Japan it is considered a tax but you get direct benefits.

Constitutionally, I'd say tentatively yes. I have a great deal of concern about the way universal healthcare will end up looking, but those concerns are of the sort I could pursue within the scope of a law expanding medicare.

• Options
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular

The Ewoks are only scary if you do not think that every society needs to have stern elder angry members. Maybe someone who thinks that older members of a society have nothing to offer would think that

Now the Gorax, those guys scared the crap out of me

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options

Constitutionally, I'd say tentatively yes. I have a great deal of concern about the way universal healthcare will end up looking, but those concerns are of the sort I could pursue within the scope of a law expanding medicare.

Next question, ignoring the propaganda that the US has the best health care in the world because by most stats it doesn't, why would socialized medicine/national insurance be a concern to you? And isn't it a requirement of the government to look after the general welfare and thus after the health of population? And since socialized health systems have the best outcomes overall for the populations health shouldn't the government institute some sort of system?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Cool, the ME3 box comes with a Xbox Live trial.

Not cool, it's only two days!

• Options
    Gooey wrote: »

i thought my animation of the at-st getting smashed with a log was pretty good

also you are lucky i work with canadians

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

Now if only we could get him to stop wearing cargo shorts (though I guess they are appropriate wear for the second picture).

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    This thread needs to be a little more upbeat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xm7A4GoA2s

(Steve Martin sans White Hair is weird)

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    Also, can Steam URO or NZ/AU play or be friend with Steam US or North America?

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »

I believe so, I'm pretty sure they're very integrated because I think it's fairly common for people to gift each-other games across region when they aren't available in a specific region.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I have decided that priming with white is basically setting painting to hard mode.

• Options

Next question, ignoring the propaganda that the US has the best health care in the world because by most stats it doesn't, why would socialized medicine/national insurance be a concern to you? And isn't it a requirement of the government to look after the general welfare and thus after the health of population? And since socialized health systems have the best outcomes overall for the populations health shouldn't the government institute some sort of system?

Ignoring the propaganda (most stats are shit and compare apples to oranges):

1) I have some personal concerns after experiences with terrible national healthcare abroad, and don't wish to see them repeated here at home. Note: these experiences were a result of the bad healthcare system, not experiences with bad care itself. In fact, we were denied the chance to experience care of any sort, multiple times, despite healthcare being universal and considered a human right in that nation, and despite the care being ordered by a doctor.

2) It's not a requirement of the government here to look after the general welfare. it is one of the reasons Congress can justify collecting a tax, but it's not a requirement. I don't believe that it necessarily should be, either. Not in all cases at least.

3) I thought we were ignoring the propaganda?

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    :( Dang, I always forget to take a "before" picture... Is it too late now that I've lost 20 pounds?

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I kinda want to play Tribes more than ME3 right now.

• Options
    :( Dang, I always forget to take a "before" picture... Is it too late now that I've lost 20 pounds?

nope

take pictures frequently at every stage!

more data is good

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I have decided that priming with white is basically setting painting to hard mode.

P much

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Kalkino wrote: »

I believe so, I'm pretty sure they're very integrated because I think it's fairly common for people to gift each-other games across region when they aren't available in a specific region.

Ahh, thanks. I shall amend my signature accordingly

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

nope

take pictures frequently at every stage!

more data is good

bah, I'm too lazy to pose for a picture...

Strangely enough, I'm not too lazy to work out.

I am an emigna.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    which one of you dudes is ezekyul on draw something

or is that a random

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    I am 5'10" and 140-145lbs. My stomach is just now going away. Unfortunately, it's nature. I've rock climbed, ran, lifted, and done crossfit, and fat comes off the same way no matter what. What you do have control over is where you put on muscle.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Sure is DOOOOOOOOOOM in some threads right now.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Forget PAX, this is where I want to go.

http://www.sofexjordan.com/

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »

P much

priming white is for special characters pretty much.

If you want a really bright, vibrant yellow the best I've seen is applying undiluted yellow ink (such as GW used to sell) directly onto dry white primer.

For really bright colors in general, ink-on-primer gets pretty amazing results (eg: yellow, red, blue, green). Though it is nerve wracking to apply.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Well, I'm 5'9 and about 140-145 lbs so I'm thinking this is the weight I'm supposed to be at? I'm not trying to lose a ton of weight, just want my tummy to be flatter and for my ass to make guys go "Whoa".

I just know that to get the tummy smaller, I have to do some fat burning exercises to help that, but I don't want to drop too much weight? I don't know. I'm totally a beginner.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    People when staying at a hotel, a Credit Card is not a weird requirement

• Options
    Well, I'm 5'9 and about 140-145 lbs so I'm thinking this is the weight I'm supposed to be at? I'm not trying to lose a ton of weight, just want my tummy to be flatter and for my ass to make guys go "Whoa".

I just know that to get the tummy smaller, I have to do some fat burning exercises to help that, but I don't want to drop too much weight? I don't know. I'm totally a beginner.

I'm 5'8 and 141 lbs, I'm flabby as hell though.

I think you should just balance your food intake and your exercise and you'll end up at a decent weight.

yGxvf.png
  • Options

Ignoring the propaganda (most stats are shit and compare apples to oranges):

1) I have some personal concerns after experiences with terrible national healthcare abroad, and don't wish to see them repeated here at home. Note: these experiences were a result of the bad healthcare system, not experiences with bad care itself. In fact, we were denied the chance to experience care of any sort, multiple times, despite healthcare being universal and considered a human right in that nation, and despite the care being ordered by a doctor.

2) It's not a requirement of the government here to look after the general welfare. it is one of the reasons Congress can justify collecting a tax, but it's not a requirement. I don't believe that it necessarily should be, either. Not in all cases at least.

3) I thought we were ignoring the propaganda?

I think you missed where I am getting my masters in global health(public health with a global policy aspect). And in major areas such as DALY ranking the US is not that great. Stats are great when looking at overall systems. I am choosing DALY(Disability adjusted life years) because it is an excellent stat for looking at care and quality of life in a country. I can bring up HDI as well mostly because of our infant mortality rates are exceptionally high for a developed country. But by markers we aren't that great and yes you can do some decent comparisons to the US population as a whole. Now if you break it down into socioeconomic chunks the comparisons breakdown. The poorest of the poor(medicade), the ultra-wealthy and the elderly have better quality and access than all those in the middle and that skews some of the numbers.

Now I have also had a lot of experience with national health care. In fact I use Japan a lot because the system is based on private practice doctors and hospitals with a national insurance system. You cannot be denied care but cost are dependent on if you have the insurance or not. Those with out it is 100% out of pocket. This is basically medicare for all designed as a requirement. The care I received in Japan was excellent. In fact it was better in its coordination between doctors and listening to my symptoms the US private system was. And I have insurance, good insurance. So we can compare anecdotes but if you look at rankings and numbers public health systems have overall better outcomes. In high income countries, I am arguing those in similar level of the US here not in middle or low income countries.

Also DALY rankings from the WHO. It is only 2004 it is a decent comparisons.

http://gamapserver.who.int/gho/interactive_charts/mbd/as_daly_rates/atlas.html

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.