As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

this is the save toonami thread for babbys check OP for details you candycorns

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    it's an april fools thing? why go to all this trouble and just do it once? I really like that they went whole hog with it, there was even a game review earlier.

adult swim goes all out for april fool's day

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    I still don't really know what this toonami thing is

everyone always speaks about it in these hushed, reverent tones though, so I assume it was pretty okay when it was alive

I'm so sorry

you missed out on a glorious era

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    also you're wrong the worst is wing

It's like you're bent on being fucking terrible.

no really it's just fucking bad

a couple cool suit designs

and then Pretty Boy Heroes that girls fawn over

and that's it

seriously like 99% of the love for it is nostalgia because we were all like ten when it premiered

It's like you've never seen SEED. or SEED Destiny. Or After War Gundam X. Or any of Gundam AGE.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Didn't Gundam Wing have a fighting game on the SNES?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    if .hack somehow makes its way onto this schedule i dont know what ill do

mensch

I love .hack

but I could not tell you when one episode ended and another began

shit was sloooooooow

slow and boring and almost entirely made of cocktease fights and half the plot was split between the games

still im planning on buying all the episodes+games and figuring it all out because UGH its still so appealing oh and did you know that theres a new movie coming out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH3jUfyYSoI

ANIME

• Options
    oh and an anime you need to see, @yaya is a wind named amnesia

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    hanna barbara cartoons are the worst

but

I still have a soft spot for the Jetsons

what about scooby doo

either you forgot to make an exception or you are the worst

SsxoU.jpg

I'm on the west coast along with Shoe, and I need to get up early in the morning so I won't be able to watch all this. :(

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular

gimme the elevator pitch

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I don't think I'm ever going to consume any .hack media.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    BugBoy wrote: »
    the only gundams I ever saw were the chibi one and the one with shining/burning/whatever finger

never felt I was missing much

SD was bullshit

but g gundam owns

straight up owns

once again a horse gets to pilot a gundam that is shaped like a horse

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Veretas wrote: »
    Speaking of I need to get the Outlaw Star dvd set but Amazon doesn't sell any and I guess I can just do it through one of these resellers maybe? What is the best Outlaw Star box set I can get @Shorty

@Veretas

just noticed, sorry!

I had this one until it got stolen from a friend's car:
    http://www.amazon.com/Outlaw-Star-Perfect-Collection-Boxed/dp/B0001DCYCS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1333261969&sr=8-2

and now I have this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Outlaw-Star-Series-Complete-Box/dp/B001OUPW6M/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1333262073&sr=8-9

the former has a cool box but has six discs

the second has a cheesedick box but it has only three discs (which I prefer because there is less switching involved)

neither has any special features worth mentioning

both have audiotracks in both english dub and original japanese

and I haven't noticed any loss in visual quality in the 3-disc version

so basically what I'm telling you is that there aren't any major differences between the boxed sets that I'm aware of and so unless having a cool-looking box is important to you, you should just get the cheapest one you can find

though I'm reading on amazon that this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Outlaw-Star-Collection-Shigeru-Shibuya/dp/B000CEV3O6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333262073&sr=8-1
    has some special feature that I do not believe were on either of the sets that I've owned

and, it's cheaper than the blackbox version

so, get that

Shorty on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    fuck I love FLCL

episode two

that fucking kick

I was very happy that I snagged the whole series in HD on Itunes for $10 last year. Best purchase.

Now I just need Outlaw Star to go on sale

• Options
    what is daphne reacting to

does she see a monster that the others haven't spotted

or is the concept of the scooby snack intrinsically horrifying to her

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    fuck I love FLCL

episode two

that fucking kick

I was very happy that I snagged the whole series in HD on Itunes for $10 last year. Best purchase.

!

oh god I hope this is available

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    if .hack somehow makes its way onto this schedule i dont know what ill do

mensch

I love .hack

but I could not tell you when one episode ended and another began

shit was sloooooooow

slow and boring and almost entirely made of cocktease fights and half the plot was split between the games

still im planning on buying all the episodes+games and figuring it all out because UGH its still so appealing oh and did you know that theres a new movie coming out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH3jUfyYSoI

ANIME

Wow a 3D anime with actual good animation

woah

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular

the character who's been swapped out for her is basically always terrified

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    also you're wrong the worst is wing

It's like you're bent on being fucking terrible.

no really it's just fucking bad

a couple cool suit designs

and then Pretty Boy Heroes that girls fawn over

and that's it

seriously like 99% of the love for it is nostalgia because we were all like ten when it premiered

It's like you've never seen SEED. or SEED Destiny. Or After War Gundam X. Or any of Gundam AGE.

Wing is bad, but, uhh.

SEED Destiny.

Yeah.

That was literally the directors' wife writing fanfiction.

Like to the point where she pretty much ostracized one of the voice actresses because her character was romantically involved with her favorite and Athrun-kun can't be stuck with that icky boyish thing.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »
    I still don't really know what this toonami thing is

everyone always speaks about it in these hushed, reverent tones though, so I assume it was pretty okay when it was alive

No

No.

No fuck you, you're joking. I know you know what Toonami is.

No.

Stop it. Stop it right now.

You know Toonami. You know Toonami. You know Toonami you know toonami youknowtoonami

Dichotomy don't do this

Dichotomy don't do this don't do this don't don't don't

This is what you've driven me to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjZuzC7IQfY

Dichotomy you can stop this don't do this!

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I picked up the Cowboy Bebop box set for a truly disgusting amount of money

it was less than five dollars

possibly even less than a dollar

Shorty on
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    it's an april fools thing? why go to all this trouble and just do it once? I really like that they went whole hog with it, there was even a game review earlier.

adult swim goes all out for april fool's day

but... now they got all these fancy HD art assets! just look at that Tom model! it even sounds like they got Steve Blum to come do all the lines again! anime saturdays and toonami are practically the same thing anyway, why not just do this every week?!

• Options
    YaYa wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    fuck I love FLCL

episode two

that fucking kick

!

oh god I hope this is available

hmm 18 dollars for HD

yeah I'll be doing that soon

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    On Gundam:

The first was fun, but the animation was old, and it showed.
    G was super fun, but the plot was awful. Wing was pretty but the plot couldn't be followed with a chart.
    8th MS Team fit right in the middle of these for me to win the award for best Gundam.

I own far too many Gundam Model Kits

Bucketman on
  • Options

the character who's been swapped out for her is basically always terrified

I liked my explanation better

• Options

gimme the elevator pitch

it is two yeaea after the apocalypse. instead of everyone dying, they all reverted to primitive, caveman like brain capacity/knowledge. one dude wakes up and miraculously is educated. he and some crazy broad who was not affected try to survive the barbaric neo cavemen. oh and the giant death machines trying to kill them.

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    wait so did they have toonami even in AUSTRALIA gatsby

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Opinions on all of the gundams. Well, the ones that have aired in the states at least.

Wing - Kinda awesome when you're 14. The dumbest fucking thing ever when you're an adult.

G Gundam - Somewhat different. Kinda dumb coming from the SERIOUS BUSINESS that was Wing. As an adult, its still dumb, but also AWESOME.

00 - First season is legitimately one of the better alternate universe shows. Second season just kinda ignores everything that made S1 good. The movie is.. uhh.. We don't talk about the movie.

Original - Dated look is kinda hard to get past. Some dumb/awesome designs, too. Still one of the best shows.

0080 - The kid is kinda annoying, but if you're not bawling at the end you have no soul. Also: refer to avatar.

0083 - Very pretty. The main characters are fucking horrible, though. Retcons the shit out of the timeline in a bad way, too.

08th MS Team - Also very pretty, really fun, and just fucking solid for all 11 episodes. Yep. 11 episodes.

SEED - Hm. The original but with even angstier, prettier teenagers. Not, that great, but not awful either, and it has some fun characters who frankly deserved better shows (Mwu). Fucking full of stock animation.

SEED Destiny- (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻

I concur with you for the most part, here are opinions on more gundams

Original: The movie compilations remain my favorite anime. Ever. Of all time. Over everything else. That said,
    Zeta: This is the best Gundam series. Nuff said. The movie trilogy is worth checking out for the gorgeous new animation, but they changed the ending to make it not as good/not as depressing.
    ZZ: Haven't actually seen it, don't really plan to. Worth checking out if you really like UC, I suppose.
    Char's Counterattack: One of Gundam's highlights, a must-watch.
    F91: It holds a special place in my heart but it's basically a series that got crammed into a movie.

Turn A: Regarded as Tomino's best, amazing design work by Syd Mead and soundtrack by Yoko Kanno, bu enhhehhhh I found it kind of problematic.
    MS Igloo: Nice visuals if you get a hardon for robots like I do, otherwise pretty formulaic/not great

finally,
    Unicorn (Gundam UC): HOLY FUCKING SHIT WATCH THIS RIGHT THE FUCK NOW

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options

gimme the elevator pitch

it is two yeaea after the apocalypse. instead of everyone dying, they all reverted to primitive, caveman like brain capacity/knowledge. one dude wakes up and miraculously is educated. he and some crazy broad who was not affected try to survive the barbaric neo cavemen. oh and the giant death machines trying to kill them.

okay that actually sounds pretty amazing

is it pretty amazing

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    look gatsby I hadn't even heard the word toonami until I started posting here and even now I'm still not exactly sure what it is other than it was some kind of television channel that showed anime and it seems like every single child born in the US knows what it is but I don't

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    BIG O

SHOWTIME

I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    ahahahaha the only show theyre playing from episode 1 is big o (because its finale makes even less sense than tenchi's)

• Options
    balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    i remember staying up late in like 9th grade and randomly catching an episode of Cowboy Bebop (the Pierrot episode). before that, i was all into really shitty harem anime and the like

cowboy bebop was a fucking revelation. even the fucking theme song blew me the fuck away. i never thought anime could be so cool

balerbower on
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    look gatsby I hadn't even heard the word toonami until I started posting here and even now I'm still not exactly sure what it is other than it was some kind of television channel that showed anime and it seems like every single child born in the US knows what it is but I don't

I

I live in Australia

I've seen it in Hong Kong

You I just no no you fucking know what it is I know it!

I am actually having some sort of attack now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xyteEkV0zo

• Options
    I absolutely loathe harem anime

fuuuuuck tenchi muyo

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

It was a programming block on Cartoon Network (and, briefly, Kids WB) hosted by a cool looking robot named Tom (Played by Steve Blum, because duh.)

Showed a lot of anime and some other stuff, had host segments, generally good times.

• Options
    I absolutely loathe harem anime

fuuuuuck tenchi muyo

real talk

I own every single book of the Love Hina Manga

and every DVD of the anime including the three movies

I cannot ever bring myself to go back to it, I was 11 at the time

• Options

gimme the elevator pitch

is it pretty amazing

it is pretty amazing

it is hands down one of my favorite animated movies of all time

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular

alright basically

cartoon network used to have an evening animation block that showed some anime

that was toonami

a lot of things that have become major nostalgia things aired under the toonami banner

DBZ for one

g gundam, gundam wing, big o, outlaw star, ronin warriors, sailor moon

new adventures of johnny quest

all kinds of shit

it got cancelled a few years back but it's back as an april fools prank

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    I picked up the Cowboy Bebop box set for a truly disgusting amount of money

it was less than five dollars

possibly even less than a dollar

Shorty seriously

I have called you twice asking specifically these things

are you even reading this thread

Where did you get it

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Opinions on all of the gundams. Well, the ones that have aired in the states at least.

Wing - Kinda awesome when you're 14. The dumbest fucking thing ever when you're an adult.

G Gundam - Somewhat different. Kinda dumb coming from the SERIOUS BUSINESS that was Wing. As an adult, its still dumb, but also AWESOME.

00 - First season is legitimately one of the better alternate universe shows. Second season just kinda ignores everything that made S1 good. The movie is.. uhh.. We don't talk about the movie.

Original - Dated look is kinda hard to get past. Some dumb/awesome designs, too. Still one of the best shows.

0080 - The kid is kinda annoying, but if you're not bawling at the end you have no soul. Also: refer to avatar.

0083 - Very pretty. The main characters are fucking horrible, though. Retcons the shit out of the timeline in a bad way, too.

08th MS Team - Also very pretty, really fun, and just fucking solid for all 11 episodes. Yep. 11 episodes.

SEED - Hm. The original but with even angstier, prettier teenagers. Not, that great, but not awful either, and it has some fun characters who frankly deserved better shows (Mwu). Fucking full of stock animation.

SEED Destiny- (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻

I concur with you for the most part, here are opinions on more gundams

Original: The movie compilations remain my favorite anime. Ever. Of all time. Over everything else. That said,
    Zeta: This is the best Gundam series. Nuff said. The movie trilogy is worth checking out for the gorgeous new animation, but they changed the ending to make it not as good/not as depressing.
    ZZ: Haven't actually seen it, don't really plan to. Worth checking out if you really like UC, I suppose.
    Char's Counterattack: One of Gundam's highlights, a must-watch.
    F91: It holds a special place in my heart but it's basically a series that got crammed into a movie.

Turn A: Regarded as Tomino's best, amazing design work by Syd Mead and soundtrack by Yoko Kanno, bu enhhehhhh I found it kind of problematic.
    MS Igloo: Nice visuals if you get a hardon for robots like I do, otherwise pretty formulaic/not great

finally,
    Unicorn (Gundam UC): HOLY FUCKING SHIT WATCH THIS RIGHT THE FUCK NOW

Well I mean, ZZ never made it to the states in any form iirc.

F91 is very good, though.

Unicorn is pretty, but otherwise just okay.

I watch way more mecha animethan is healthy.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options

gimme the elevator pitch

is it pretty amazing

it is pretty amazing

it is hands down one of my favorite animated movies of all time

dubbed or subbed

This discussion has been closed.