Options

Strength.Training.Guile. [Mass Effect].The Special Tasks Group needs you.USE SPOILER TAGS

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Yeah that was really baffling.

I mean, I get that they wanted to give the fans something. But that was an pointlessly cheap way to go about it.

They already had Quarian concept art. I've seen the video of Matt Rhodes talking for like forty fucking minutes about designing the aliens and how important it was that they were all unique yet relatable. Unless you're going to do it right, why bother doing it at all? It's not giving the fans anything if it's bad to begin with.

It would have been better to have not included it at all than half-ass something that would annoy the insane Tali fans that they cultivated with ME2.

It's so badly done, too. It must have been thrown in last minute.

Like, literally the last minute. Because you could have, as mentioned, hired any artist to spend an afternoon doing a proper digital portrait of the alien properly. Instead, it's a stock photo with two layer masks.

I'm betting it was outsourced.

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    goldin' with pubbies

new personal record for points in a single round: 125,163 8-)

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    I'm just glad I never stuck with the Tali romance.

I tried it one time, on my first ME2 playthrough, but never again. I never actually romanced anyone new in ME2 because none of the available ladies really struck a chord. I thought they were all great characters, but I didn't really see a workable romance.

Every later playthrough I stuck by Liara.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

I tried it one time, on my first ME2 playthrough, but never again. I never actually romanced anyone new in ME2 because none of the available ladies really struck a chord. I thought they were all great characters, but I didn't really see a workable romance.

just wanted to say, your current av/sig combo absolutely sells this post.

EDIT: of course, I didn't see the bit with liara, but hey

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    goldin' with pubbies

what class/race? cause that's pretty incredible for gold. at least, it is for me. I barely break 70k even on my vanguard.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote: »

I mean, I get that they wanted to give the fans something. But that was an pointlessly cheap way to go about it.

They already had Quarian concept art. I've seen the video of Matt Rhodes talking for like forty fucking minutes about designing the aliens and how important it was that they were all unique yet relatable. Unless you're going to do it right, why bother doing it at all? It's not giving the fans anything if it's bad to begin with.

do you have a link to the concept art? or maybe the video?

• Options
    Joolander wrote: »

do you have a link to the concept art? or maybe the video?

It's on the ME1 bonus disc.

It's actually a slideshow of concept art with an audio track of Matt just commenting on everything.

• Options

just wanted to say, your current av/sig combo absolutely sells this post.

EDIT: of course, I didn't see the bit with liara, but hey

hahah

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    So Warp and Throw's combo explosion modifiers would be applied to Tech Bursts and Fire Bursts too, right?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I stuck with the Tali romance in ME3. Yeah the picture thing is kind of lame but there are a number of hilarious quips you get from various party members.

When/if I take that Shep through ME2 again my current plan is to have him stick with Liara though.

On a related note: when you do a New Game+ with your Shep in ME2 does it rewrite that Shep or do you make a new one? If it's not the latter I guess I'll probably want to make a copy to avoid conflicts in ME3?

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Yeah, considering how much time and thought went into the look of the quarian suits, which are really beautiful, compared to how much time went into the reveal of Tali herself?

Yeeeaaaaah. As someone who totally liked Tali even in ME1, I'd have preferred that if they couldn't put in the time to maintain the high standard of alien designs, they ought to just skip it.

Really the best solution probably would've been for us to see a non-half-assed quarian out of their suit back in ME2, then people who don't want their e-girlfriend to be a freaky looking alien can avoid the tali romance. By 3 it was probably too late to do it justice, since if she was alien looking it would come across as a joke on anyone with a different mental image of her, and if she was too human it would just come across as lazy and implausible.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Every game you make starts it's own career save folder, far as I know.

• Options
    Although except for the picture scene (dude, shep's already seen her out of her suit like 3 times now, great he's got a picture now?) the Tali romance in 3 was by far my favorite. They're the only pairing that actually seems to make each other happier. Liara and Shep are just super-solemn all the time.

Well, Garrus and femshep might be able to compete, but why do that when you can have nearly as good bromance with Garrus AND have all the nice scenes with Tali?

Plus Garrus and Tali's been my main squad ever since 1, so it's perfect

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options

Hrm. I guess the easiest way to find out is to try but I don't want to accidentally overwrite the existing Shep.

• Options
    ASimPerson wrote: »

Hrm. I guess the easiest way to find out is to try but I don't want to accidentally overwrite the existing Shep.

It will not overwrite your existing Shepard, don't worry. It's a whole new career. You Import the file, not Overwrite or Delete it.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »
    Yeah, considering how much time and thought went into the look of the quarian suits, which are really beautiful, compared to how much time went into the reveal of Tali herself?

Yeeeaaaaah. As someone who totally liked Tali even in ME1, I'd have preferred that if they couldn't put in the time to maintain the high standard of alien designs, they ought to just skip it.

Really the best solution probably would've been for us to see a non-half-assed quarian out of their suit back in ME2, then people who don't want their e-girlfriend to be a freaky looking alien can avoid the tali romance. By 3 it was probably too late to do it justice, since if she was alien looking it would come across as a joke on anyone with a different mental image of her, and if she was too human it would just come across as lazy and implausible.

The way to do it would be to show another Quarian, then people still get to imagine their own perfect Tali but within the tighter boundaries of a defined alien appearance.

• Options

Yeah, this and what Langly said pretty much.

• Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    ASimPerson wrote: »

It will not overwrite your existing Shepard, don't worry. It's a whole new career. You Import the file, not Overwrite or Delete it.

Cool, thanks.

• Options
    edited April 2012

The way to do it would be to show another Quarian, then people still get to imagine their own perfect Tali but within the tighter boundaries of a defined alien appearance.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Like the crazy quarian you meet in the beginning could've had his helmet off, considering they were already saying that he was really sick and delirious and needed medical treatment.

Then you've got a rough guess of what Tali looks like and if you're willing to Hit Dat, and then her appearance when we eventually see it would still be a nice reveal

Kana on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    it should have been a running joke between Vega and EDI

Vega's never seen a quarian, EDI constantly makes little suggestions that they resemble the Vorcha or squids or something

oh and then you finally see it, but only through the cracked visor of Tali's burnt corpse

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Hi all,

Wanted to give an update about the fix for the exploit. We have a fix for the issue but it needs lots of testing. We will grant the Commendation Pack for Operation Raptor next week after the fix goes live.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

I'm late to the party. What exploit are they talking about here?

• Options
    Apparently there was a way to get multiple victory packs, so they stopped releasing them

• Options
    yeah, that tali picture really is the only badly rushed thing in ME3

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    also: just did full extraction gold with pubbies, two level 20 quarian infiltrators, a level 10 human engineer, and a level 1 salarian engineer

firebase white geth, camping that lower room, is really easy*

*comparatively

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    ...Are you being sarcastic Dichotomy?

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    yeah, that tali picture really is the only badly rushed thing in ME3

except for that one thing

• Options

whatever makes you think that

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular

Yeah, dichot could never beat gold

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The Tali romance is really good in both games. The picture is dumb and shouldn't have been included, but it doesn't actually have any impact on how good or bad the romance is. Liara's seems more fleshed out than Tali's in ME3, but I imagine part of that at least speaks to how much earlier to get Liara.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    salarian engineer is stupid good at dealing with geth

or anything really

<3 salarian engineer

• Options
    Fire Explosions are probably increased in power when an appropriately specc'd Throw or Warp is used as the detonator, but even with the increased power it just got, it's still exactly as powerful as Warp/Throw detonations while being a lot harder to pull off.

I guess that particular usage of it is out the window except for happy accidents.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Oh my god
    just did a public match, Cerberus on Firebase Ghost

Wave 10, a fucking hacking objective, and all of a sudden we're bumrushed by turrets and phantoms, and all but one guy fucking bites it

We all spend 5 minutes in spectator mode watching this drell adept hold the line like a fucking champ, and when he finishes the wave and we all rez, one guy comes over the mic with this great holy fucking shit reaction

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    The Tali romance is really good in both games. The picture is dumb and shouldn't have been included, but it doesn't actually have any impact on how good or bad the romance is. Liara's seems more fleshed out than Tali's in ME3, but I imagine part of that at least speaks to how much earlier to get Liara.

sort've wished you could've gotten Tali earlier

or hell, make it so that you can decide whether to do Rannoch or Tuchanka first

• Options
    Squall wrote: »
    salarian engineer is stupid good at dealing with geth

or anything really

<3 salarian engineer

they really need to fix the thing with decoy not actually ever taking damage

well
    they don't really need to
    but if they're going to I prefer they do it now, before I get too comfortable with decoy being as absurd as it is

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    goldin' with pubbies

goldin' with pubbies

new personal record for points in a single round: 150048 8->

with an ASARI

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    Dichotomy informs me that he just got 151k. Damn it.

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    8-)

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    really, who made them rush out the ending of KOTOR2?

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Honestly, they were trying to give fans what they had been asking for, and they obviously couldn't dedicate much in the way of resources for it.

I thought it was a reasonably tasteful way to do it, given the resource limitations.

a reasonably tasteful way is to shittily photoshop a stock photo?

You can't pay a guy 80 bucks to draw a picture?

edit: to reply to another response you made - that isn't a good deed. That is a shitty deed. It is better to just not have anything.

You'd want something more than just a simple drawn picture; you'd want something like what the concept art looks like, akin to this: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-DdJW7-7PLRE/T2Kvcq4edyI/AAAAAAAAAGw/Ksx5eX6Y8M0/s1600/femshep.png

And it's quite possible it was a last-minute addition, like the sidequests.

The picture, to me, was "the fans have been clamoring for it, let's just go and throw them a bone". Somewhat akin to Conrad Verner's hilariously convoluted quest for...5 war assets.

I have nothing invested in the Tali relationship. I like her as a character, but I don't particularly care about quarian faces in general or hers in particular. It's always just been a running joke to me that they'd never show a quarian face. I still feel they missed an opportunity to show spiders there though. :(

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    jwalk wrote: »
    really, who made them rush out the ending of KOTOR2?

KOTOR2 was Obsidian, and it was LucasArts.

This discussion has been closed.