high...five?

Or fist pound, whichever you prefer.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with it, but I do find it really interesting how many people wait to get their driver's license or are so freaked out by driving that they don't want to learn. When I was in high school, everyone was eager to learn to drive because it meant freedom.

Where I live I am generally able to walk and / or use public transport to get around, so there was never any great feeling of being restricted by not having a car, and between the expense and fear I just never got around to making myself buck up and do it.

Now that my kidney problems are getting worse and it's beginning to affect my energy levels and whatnot I am kind of regretting that, because walking everywhere just isn't going as easily as it used to.

That's understandable. Here where I live there isn't any public transportation at all and there isn't much in this town so to do or see anything or to buy certain things I have to travel 30 miles to the next town over and a car is needed for that.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Yeah, those entry level positions requiring a degree? That's precisely because so many people went to college because that's what you're supposed to do so many degrees are undervalued. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with going to college if you really want to pursue that, I just disagree with the notion that everyone should ideally go to college.

Well, on a societal level, the smarter people are, the further we can advance technologically. Just as a general rule, I'd imagine. Like, part of the reason NFL players are so good is because they're the best of the people who were drafted, who were the best of the people who played in college, who were the best of the people who tried out, who were the best of the people who played in high school, etc.

Similarly, the further we progress our education, the further our children will be able to progress theirs, and so on.

But at the same time, I think a bigger emphasis should be placed on entry level degrees, so to speak. Associates degrees are ridiculously undervalued in society as a whole (even though IT at least seems to be changing its outlook on that), that it's not really worth going to that level. But if more people did go to that level, before pursuing a bachelor's, I think more people would be willing to go to college overall.

Like I said, I'm just really unsure how to feel about that whole thing.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I hated freedom!

Also I think the longer you go without driving the more daunting it seems

This is True Fact

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Yeah, those entry level positions requiring a degree? That's precisely because so many people went to college because that's what you're supposed to do so many degrees are undervalued. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with going to college if you really want to pursue that, I just disagree with the notion that everyone should ideally go to college.

Well, on a societal level, the smarter people are, the further we can advance technologically. Just as a general rule, I'd imagine. Like, part of the reason NFL players are so good is because they're the best of the people who were drafted, who were the best of the people who played in college, who were the best of the people who tried out, who were the best of the people who played in high school, etc.

Similarly, the further we progress our education, the further our children will be able to progress theirs, and so on.

But at the same time, I think a bigger emphasis should be placed on entry level degrees, so to speak. Associates degrees are ridiculously undervalued in society as a whole (even though IT at least seems to be changing its outlook on that), that it's not really worth going to that level. But if more people did go to that level, before pursuing a bachelor's, I think more people would be willing to go to college overall.

Like I said, I'm just really unsure how to feel about that whole thing.

See, that's a common misconception. The top tiers of any profession is full of people that got there just as much or more by fortunate circumstance or being part of the right group and having an inside connection than any innately superb ability in their job. Hell, Wall Street is a great example of this.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    I don't disagree on any of those points. What you know is important, who you know is usually what distinguishes you more.

I'm just talking in a general sense. My parents didn't study calculus in college, I might have to take some. My kids will probably take it in high school.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I don't believe everyone can attain a certain level of education, though. I mean, your kids may have to study calculus in high school, but I think then we'd see grade boundaries being lowered or pass requirements changed to compensate for this.

Also, in addition to what Druhim says, that everyone these days is expected to hold a degree is also what is driving the cost of further education up. Half the time all the degrees are really doing is saddling people with more debt.

Also I never learned to drive for reasons similar to the ones Fyndir gave. And holy shit, running a car in the UK is far too cost prohibitive for most 20 somethings with *jobs*, let alone students! Every single student I knew who owned a car in the UK used it for very special occasions only.

• Options
    I ought to add that I don't have Fyndir's kidney problems, though. Also typing Fyndir on an iPhone keyboard is hell; I really rely on auto correct with my fat fingers!

I disagree, ultimately, that society can grow smarter. I think we can grow to be better educated, sure. I suppose as a collective we can build upon previous generations' knowledge and continue to innovate and improve, but I don't believe individuals are growing cleverer than their ancestors.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Goin to region competition for one act next and saw the raid: redemption tonight

good week

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    how is the raid?

I was thinking of seeing it tomorrow night

• Options
    Janson wrote: »
    I don't believe everyone can attain a certain level of education, though. I mean, your kids may have to study calculus in high school, but I think then we'd see grade boundaries being lowered or pass requirements changed to compensate for this.

Also, in addition to what Druhim says, that everyone these days is expected to hold a degree is also what is driving the cost of further education up. Half the time all the degrees are really doing is saddling people with more debt.

That's a point I hadn't thought of. But again, if we look at community colleges, which are completely state funded and run (as opposed to even public universities, let alone private ones), costs are drastically cheaper. Another reason I advocate for that system.
    I disagree, ultimately, that society can grow smarter. I think we can grow to be better educated, sure. I suppose as a collective we can build upon previous generations' knowledge and continue to innovate and improve, but I don't believe individuals are growing cleverer than their ancestors.

You actually put it better than I could. That's what I was trying to say.

• Options
    Okay, cool! I did wonder about that as I was typing the post, whether I'd understood you correctly.

I do like the community college system, I have to say. I attended our local cc for two quarters last year and I appreciated how easy it was to choose your own schedule, and how flexible the hours are. I also appreciate the vast variety of classes on offer. I actually really enjoyed it!

I have a lot of thoughts on the US education system in general, and how it compares to the UK, but I don't know where to begin there.

• Options
    Yeah I really love the community college system, and unless my kids "know" what they want to study post-high school, I'll advocate hard for it.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    how is the raid?

I was thinking of seeing it tomorrow night

It is excellent. Fantastic action choreography and the movie had just the right amount of depth for the two main characters.

• Options
    The only 'downside' is that I think it allows people who aren't necessarily very well self motivated to faff around in their early 20s. (I love you, Mori!)

In the UK, it's far more usual to get into a university and do a BA/BSc in a fairly rigidly structured 3 years. And it's very rare that you'll remain in your hometown; I'd say probably 95% of the students on my course had had to move in order to attend university. And there's no prolonging those three years; if you fail a class, you fail the entire year and have to resit the entire year. You either graduate or you don't, and if you don't? Those credits aren't transferable.

There are colleges in the UK that are a little more like community colleges, but they're mostly for trades, and you can't transfer any credits between a college and a university.

I'm not sure I'd have gained the same life experiences or independence in the US school system, but there's a lot to be said for its flexibility.

• Options
    Yeah I think you need a system that's more flexible. Some people are going to jump right in with both feet and take 15-18 hours a semester, and as many as they can get in the summer as well. Others are going to only take 6 hours a semester, and none in the summer, while working full time. And you're going to have everything in between.

• Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    Driving is the best

I am happy that my job involves driving for most of the day

Although sitting in the car for too long causes my leg to cramp up

Fortunately I get to get up and walk around a lot too

ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • Options
    Basically at 18 my choices in the UK were either; leave home and get a degree, or go into a trade. And, if I chose the former, I was pretty much guaranteed to graduate by the age of 21. It's a good system if you succeed, but a pretty dire one if you fail. (Of course, not saying that success in the UK system brings success at work in subsequent years!)

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    A story (not mine) about a two dollar bill.
    On my way home from work, I stopped at Taco Bell for a quick bite to eat.

I have a $50 bill and a $2 bill. I figure with the $2 bill, I can get something to eat and not have to worry about irritating anyone for trying to break a $50 bill.

Me: 'Hi, I'd like one seven-layer burrito please, to go.' Server: 'That'll be $1.04. Eat in?'
    Me: 'No, it's to go.' At this point, I open my billfold and hand him the $2 bill. He looks at it kind of funny.
    Server: 'Uh, hang on a sec, I'll be right back.' He goes to talk to his manager, who is still within my earshot.

The following conversation occurs between the two of them:

Server: 'Hey, you ever see a $2 bill?'
    Manager: 'No. A what?'
    Server: 'A $2 bill. This guy just gave it to me...'
    Manager: 'Ask for something else. There's no such thing as a $2 bill.'
    Server: 'Yeah, thought so.'

He comes back to me and says, 'We don't take these.

Do you have anything else?'

Me: 'Just this fifty. You don't take $2 bills? Why?
    Server: 'I don't know.'
    Me: 'See here where it says legal tender?'
    Server: 'Yeah.'
    Me: 'So, why won't you take it?'
    Server: 'Well, hang on a sec.'

He goes back to his manager, who has been watching me like I'm a shoplifter, and says to him, 'He says I have to take it.'

Manager: 'Doesn't he have anything else?'
    Server: 'Yeah, a fifty. I'll get it and you can open the safe and get change.
    Manager: 'I'm not opening the safe with him in here.'
    Server: 'What should I do?'
    Manager: 'Tell him to come back later when he has real money.'
    Server: 'I can't tell him that! You tell him.'
    Manager: 'Just tell him.'
    Server: 'No way! This is weird. I'm going in back.

The manager approaches me and says, 'I'm sorry, but we don't take big bills this time of night.'

Me: 'It's only seven o'clock! Well then, here's a two dollar bill.'
    Manager: 'We don't take those, either.'
    Me: 'Why not?'
    Manager: 'I think you know why.'
    Me: 'No really, tell me why.'
    Manager 'Please leave before I call mall security.'
    Me: 'Excuse me?'
    Manager: 'Please leave before I call mall security.'
    Me: 'What on earth for?'
    Manager: 'Please, sir..'
    Me: 'Uh, go ahead, call them.'
    Manager: 'Would you please just leave?'
    Me: 'No.'
    Manager: 'Fine -- have it your way then.'
    Me: 'Hey, that's Burger King, isn't it?'

At this point, he backs away from me and calls mall security on the phone around the corner. I have two people staring at me from the dining area, and I begin laughing out loud, just for effect.

A few minutes later this 45-year-oldish guy comes in.

Guard: 'Yeah, Mike, what's up?'
    Manager (whispering): 'This guy is trying to give me some (pause) funny money.'
    Guard: 'No kidding! What?'
    Manager: 'Get this. A two dollar bill.'
    Guard (incredulous): 'Why would a guy fake a two dollar bill?'
    Manager: 'I don't know. He's kinda weird. He says the only other thing he has is a fifty.'
    Guard: 'Oh, so the fifty's fake!'
    Manager: 'No, the two dollar bill is.'
    Guard: 'Why would he fake a two dollar bill?'
    Manager : 'I don't know! Can you talk to him, and get him out of here?'
    Guard: 'Yeah.'

Security Guard walks over to me and......

Guard: 'Mike here tells me you have some fake bills you're trying to use.'
    Me: 'Uh, no.'
    Guard: 'Lemme see 'em.'
    Me: 'Why?'
    Guard: 'Do you want me to get the cops in here?'

At this point I'm ready to say, 'Sure, please!' but I want to eat, so I say, 'I'm just trying to buy a burrito and pay for it with this two dollar bill. I put the bill up near his face, and he flinches like I'm taking a swing at him. He takes the bill turns it over a few times in his hands, and he says,

Guard: 'Hey, Mike, what's wrong with this bill?'
    Manager: 'It's fake.'
    Guard: 'It doesn't look fake to me.'
    Manager: 'But it's a two dollar bill.'
    Guard: 'Yeah? '
    Manager: 'Well, there's no such thing, is there?'

The security guard and I both look at him like he's an idiot and it dawns on the guy that he has no clue and is an idiot. So, it turns out that my burrito was free, and he threw in a small drink and some of those cinnamon thingies, too.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    On a different note (and thanks Tox I have appreciated our conversation tonight!) thanks to Pandora I have discovered new music I like, yay

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Hey GG, are you in NC? Or did I just imagine that from a football thread or something?

Yep yep
    Rutherfordton

• Options
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    A story (not mine) about a two dollar bill.
    On my way home from work, I stopped at Taco Bell for a quick bite to eat.

I have a $50 bill and a $2 bill. I figure with the $2 bill, I can get something to eat and not have to worry about irritating anyone for trying to break a $50 bill.

Me: 'Hi, I'd like one seven-layer burrito please, to go.' Server: 'That'll be $1.04. Eat in?'
    Me: 'No, it's to go.' At this point, I open my billfold and hand him the $2 bill. He looks at it kind of funny.
    Server: 'Uh, hang on a sec, I'll be right back.' He goes to talk to his manager, who is still within my earshot.

The following conversation occurs between the two of them:

Server: 'Hey, you ever see a $2 bill?'
    Manager: 'No. A what?'
    Server: 'A $2 bill. This guy just gave it to me...'
    Manager: 'Ask for something else. There's no such thing as a $2 bill.'
    Server: 'Yeah, thought so.'

He comes back to me and says, 'We don't take these.

Do you have anything else?'

Me: 'Just this fifty. You don't take $2 bills? Why?
    Server: 'I don't know.'
    Me: 'See here where it says legal tender?'
    Server: 'Yeah.'
    Me: 'So, why won't you take it?'
    Server: 'Well, hang on a sec.'

He goes back to his manager, who has been watching me like I'm a shoplifter, and says to him, 'He says I have to take it.'

Manager: 'Doesn't he have anything else?'
    Server: 'Yeah, a fifty. I'll get it and you can open the safe and get change.
    Manager: 'I'm not opening the safe with him in here.'
    Server: 'What should I do?'
    Manager: 'Tell him to come back later when he has real money.'
    Server: 'I can't tell him that! You tell him.'
    Manager: 'Just tell him.'
    Server: 'No way! This is weird. I'm going in back.

The manager approaches me and says, 'I'm sorry, but we don't take big bills this time of night.'

Me: 'It's only seven o'clock! Well then, here's a two dollar bill.'
    Manager: 'We don't take those, either.'
    Me: 'Why not?'
    Manager: 'I think you know why.'
    Me: 'No really, tell me why.'
    Manager 'Please leave before I call mall security.'
    Me: 'Excuse me?'
    Manager: 'Please leave before I call mall security.'
    Me: 'What on earth for?'
    Manager: 'Please, sir..'
    Me: 'Uh, go ahead, call them.'
    Manager: 'Would you please just leave?'
    Me: 'No.'
    Manager: 'Fine -- have it your way then.'
    Me: 'Hey, that's Burger King, isn't it?'

At this point, he backs away from me and calls mall security on the phone around the corner. I have two people staring at me from the dining area, and I begin laughing out loud, just for effect.

A few minutes later this 45-year-oldish guy comes in.

Guard: 'Yeah, Mike, what's up?'
    Manager (whispering): 'This guy is trying to give me some (pause) funny money.'
    Guard: 'No kidding! What?'
    Manager: 'Get this. A two dollar bill.'
    Guard (incredulous): 'Why would a guy fake a two dollar bill?'
    Manager: 'I don't know. He's kinda weird. He says the only other thing he has is a fifty.'
    Guard: 'Oh, so the fifty's fake!'
    Manager: 'No, the two dollar bill is.'
    Guard: 'Why would he fake a two dollar bill?'
    Manager : 'I don't know! Can you talk to him, and get him out of here?'
    Guard: 'Yeah.'

Security Guard walks over to me and......

Guard: 'Mike here tells me you have some fake bills you're trying to use.'
    Me: 'Uh, no.'
    Guard: 'Lemme see 'em.'
    Me: 'Why?'
    Guard: 'Do you want me to get the cops in here?'

At this point I'm ready to say, 'Sure, please!' but I want to eat, so I say, 'I'm just trying to buy a burrito and pay for it with this two dollar bill. I put the bill up near his face, and he flinches like I'm taking a swing at him. He takes the bill turns it over a few times in his hands, and he says,

Guard: 'Hey, Mike, what's wrong with this bill?'
    Manager: 'It's fake.'
    Guard: 'It doesn't look fake to me.'
    Manager: 'But it's a two dollar bill.'
    Guard: 'Yeah? '
    Manager: 'Well, there's no such thing, is there?'

The security guard and I both look at him like he's an idiot and it dawns on the guy that he has no clue and is an idiot. So, it turns out that my burrito was free, and he threw in a small drink and some of those cinnamon thingies, too.

This is excellent. I saw it coming, but it was still excellent.

• Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    I think I have a two dollar bill somewhere.

I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Hey GG, are you in NC? Or did I just imagine that from a football thread or something?

Yep yep
    Rutherfordton

What do you think about this guy's education policy? He's running in the primary for Gov.
    Young people who drop out of high school have few if any marketable job skills and are often so deficient in basic verbal and math competency as to be unable to complete a routine job application. Instead of the present system of providing only one pathway to a high school diploma, we need to reform the system and provide two. One diploma would certify a student college ready, with the necessary skills to succeed in college. The second diploma would certify a student career ready, with the necessary skills to get a job or attend a community college. With this reform our goal would be that college bound students would no longer have to take remedial courses to compete on a college level and students entering the work force would no longer lack vocational skills and core competency.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Oh my that $2 bill story is precious

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular

Yep yep
    Rutherfordton

Hehehe

Rutherfordton sounds like someone trying to make up a really English sounding name

It's not yet complete.

Rutherfordton the Third

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options

Yep yep
    Rutherfordton

Hehehe

Rutherfordton sounds like someone trying to make up a really English sounding name

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    my favorite burger place delights in giving people two dollar bills and half dollars as change

so I usually have at least one 2 dollar bill on me

• Options
    My favorite fast food story about money was when I was working as a front-end manager, counting down a drawer, and one of the drawers came up way over. We used counting machines that weighed the coin and you tell it what type of coin it is and it tells you how much is in it. Turns out it was miscounting the quarters.

Because there was $4 worth of pure silver quarters someone had paid with.

I made $20 bucks off those quarters (which I 'bought' from the drawer). Wish I'd hung on to them, they'd be worth a fuckton more now.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I think that's actually a pretty solid plan, Tox
    Druhim said basically what I'm thinking

And honestly you don't sound that conflicted about it, it feels like you're mostly okay with it from what you're saying

edit: whose policy is that anyway?

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    I friggin' love half dollars. They are my favorite coin.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Ah, Google says Pat McCrory
    I gotta look into this guy

• Options
    Ah, Google says Pat McCrory
    I gotta look into this guy

He's campaigning pretty hard on education reform.

What's really fucking with me with the general is that the GOP candidates are all staunchly opposed to raising the sales tax again. The Dems are for it, saying the schools are underfunded and need the money.

I feel like the schools definitely need the money, but that money should be able to come from other taxes, not sales tax, because that's regressive as shit.

But then you have all the GOP candidates totally in favor of the marriage amendment (which, specifically, would only acknowledge and grant any legal privilege to heterosexual marriages only, and civil unions basically go away and/or have absolutely no rights or benefits).

• Options
    Ugh, yeah they can go fuck themselves on that marriage amendment

• Options
    Ugh, yeah they can go fuck themselves on that marriage amendment

Well and the thing is that if we vote down the marriage amendment, but put republicans in office, they can just pass/repeal the relevant laws and accomplish the same effect on that side.

But if we vote for the Dems, we're staring down the barrel of another $0.75 sales tax increase and fuuuuuuuuck I hate having to vote against self-interest just to do the right thing, especially when I'm already as goddamned broke as I am.

• Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    My favorite fast food story about money was when I was working as a front-end manager, counting down a drawer, and one of the drawers came up way over. We used counting machines that weighed the coin and you tell it what type of coin it is and it tells you how much is in it. Turns out it was miscounting the quarters.

I made $20 bucks off those quarters (which I 'bought' from the drawer). Wish I'd hung on to them, they'd be worth a fuckton more now.

Not really. Silver quarters have a melt value of 5.68

ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • Options
    IpseDixit wrote: »

Not really. Silver quarters have a melt value of 5.68

which is about triple what I made off of them originally.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    $5.68 each? Cause that would be line $80 worth if it was 16 quarters.

• Options
    $90.88, which is a lot more than $20, and I don't even remember what I spent that money on. Probably dining out.

• Options
    Also silver quarters, so pretty :3