Options

Video Game Industry Thread: Master Chief -- script delivery boy

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Wait, so the company that led the DRM-free music was bought by the company that continues to make new memory standards to continue DRM and not adhere to any sort of standard?

This can't be good.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/168878/Star_Wars_The_Old_Republic_sub_numbers_already_declining__analyst.php
    click here
    Analyst group Cowen and Company suggests in a new report that player subscriptions for Star Wars: The Old Republic have begun to decline since Electronic Arts said earlier this year that the game has 1.7 million subscribers.

Cowen's Doug Creutz estimates that subscriber numbers for the game peaked at 1.7 million in February, and that by the end of the current fiscal year in March 2013, the game will have around 1.25 million subscribers, based on server statistics provided on TorStatus.net.

Creutz also noted that EA has begun to heavily promote the game, leading him to believe that this is in response to the stalling subscriber numbers.

"We believe that the apparent decline in subscribers is most likely due to a lack of 'end-game' content for the title, meaning that players who hit the level cap have few compelling options in terms of ongoing game play," he noted. "While the game got off to a good start, the relatively light amount of end-game content does appear to be taking a toll."

"We believe EA is attempting to address the end-game content issue, including a recent major game update, but momentum appears to have stalled and we believe it is prudent to adopt a more conservative forecast on subscribers at this time."

However, Creutz said that despite this drop, the overall outlook for the company's fiscal year appears positive, thanks to EA's "highly predictable" sports franchises, growth in digital sales, and current reasonable valuation.

Revenue from The Old Republic along with contributions from EA's PopCap acquisition will ensure that the company's digital revenues are up around 46 percent year-over-year to $1.75 billion, suggests the analyst, while its retail game sales are estimated to decline by 8 percent during this fiscal year.

Compared to the rest of the video games market, Creutz expects EA to outperform the average by at least 20 percent.
    Meanwhile, nobody remembers FFXIV.

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Off the top of my head, only films produced in the Anglosphere:

Street Fighter*
    Double Dragon
    Super Mario Brothers
    Alone in the Dark
    Bloodrayne*
    Tekken
    The King of Fighters
    Prince of Persia
    Hitmjan
    Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
    Doom
    Max Payne

*Multiple films based on the same IP, all horrible.

Those were all pretty terrible, right? Now, some exceptions: the Wing Commander movie wasn't horrible, right? The same could be said about Tomb Raider I guess--it's almost an exception in that it's not totally awful (or at least the first one wasn't). But that's mostly by comparison. Plus, it got Daniel Craig face time. And I think some of the Resident Evil films aren't absolutely godawful if you like Milla Jovovich?

Not terribly encouraging, I'd say. Now, I absolutely know someone is going to come out and tell me Street Fighter with Van Dam was actually a cinematic masterpiece, and they're entitled to that opinion.

(I'm limiting it to English-speaking studios, because that's what we'd be dealing with in Halo, and those produced in Japan (for Japanese games) are, while not good, significantly less horrible. Probably because the original writers and voice talent are almost always called in for this sort of thing, so it actually resembles the game somewhat, which is an idea too stupid to be adopted in the West--the Hitman movie comes to mind.)

Ahem:

medium_mkmovie.jpg

Still to this day probably the best, most faithful video game -> movie adaptation

The sequel never happened

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    EA better watch their budgets.

The new Medal of Honor evidently cost so much they can't afford to put spaces in their emails.

ncM7u.png

I think that the fact that another MoH game is being made after the shitpile they released is amazing. I supposed the promise of BF3 beta access was enough to inflate sales? And more "real" Tier 1 operators are attached to the project is surprising too.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/168878/Star_Wars_The_Old_Republic_sub_numbers_already_declining__analyst.php
    click here
    Analyst group Cowen and Company suggests in a new report that player subscriptions for Star Wars: The Old Republic have begun to decline since Electronic Arts said earlier this year that the game has 1.7 million subscribers.

Cowen's Doug Creutz estimates that subscriber numbers for the game peaked at 1.7 million in February, and that by the end of the current fiscal year in March 2013, the game will have around 1.25 million subscribers, based on server statistics provided on TorStatus.net.

Creutz also noted that EA has begun to heavily promote the game, leading him to believe that this is in response to the stalling subscriber numbers.

"We believe that the apparent decline in subscribers is most likely due to a lack of 'end-game' content for the title, meaning that players who hit the level cap have few compelling options in terms of ongoing game play," he noted. "While the game got off to a good start, the relatively light amount of end-game content does appear to be taking a toll."

"We believe EA is attempting to address the end-game content issue, including a recent major game update, but momentum appears to have stalled and we believe it is prudent to adopt a more conservative forecast on subscribers at this time."

However, Creutz said that despite this drop, the overall outlook for the company's fiscal year appears positive, thanks to EA's "highly predictable" sports franchises, growth in digital sales, and current reasonable valuation.

Revenue from The Old Republic along with contributions from EA's PopCap acquisition will ensure that the company's digital revenues are up around 46 percent year-over-year to $1.75 billion, suggests the analyst, while its retail game sales are estimated to decline by 8 percent during this fiscal year.

Compared to the rest of the video games market, Creutz expects EA to outperform the average by at least 20 percent.

I'm shocked. Like, so shocked. Look how shocked I am.

That's probably quite deliberate.

shryke on
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    etrade_commercials%255B1%255D.jpg

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    click here

The article does say they are making lots of revenue off of it and PopCap.

Really over a million subscribers is not bad at all. They just need to keep new content coming to keep those people around and hopefully get their family/friends dragged in.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    A million subscribers isn't bad at all.

Unfortunately the development budget was $200 million plus massive marketing on top of that, so "not bad at all" might not cut it. Especially since analysts are already looking at the sub numbers with a worried eye.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I know what fighting games are, and I had no clue what a kitty board was.

Meanwhile, this is probably the best DLC pre-order bonus ever:

lbpkartingbonuslg.jpg
    At least a few pre-orders of LittleBigPlanet Karting will include a free DLC pack featuring Kevin Butler, the fictional VP from Sony's promotional campaigns. The pre-order deal is live through Amazon and GameStop and it includes the Kevin Butler Sackboy costume and executive golf cart.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/18/kevin-butler-is-dlc-in-littlebigplanet-karting/

Though this just makes me more baffled that Kevin Butler seems to have vanished from Sony's ads entirely in favor of... whatever the hell they're doing now.

Two things. First, I would buy the FUCK out of that DLC. Good job Sony. Second, yeah, Kevin Butler is like their best PR / advertising tool.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Street Fighter*
    Double Dragon
    Super Mario Brothers
    Alone in the Dark
    Bloodrayne*
    Tekken
    The King of Fighters
    Prince of Persia
    Hitmjan
    Doom
    Max Payne

Those were all pretty terrible, right? Now, some exceptions: the Wing Commander movie wasn't horrible, right? The same could be said about Tomb Raider I guess--it's almost an exception in that it's not totally awful (or at least the first one wasn't). But that's mostly by comparison. Plus, it got Daniel Craig face time. And I think some of the Resident Evil films aren't absolutely godawful if you like Milla Jovovich?

Not terribly encouraging, I'd say. Now, I absolutely know someone is going to come out and tell me Street Fighter with Van Dam was actually a cinematic masterpiece, and they're entitled to that opinion.

(I'm limiting it to English-speaking studios, because that's what we'd be dealing with in Halo, and those produced in Japan (for Japanese games) are, while not good, significantly less horrible. Probably because the original writers and voice talent are almost always called in for this sort of thing, so it actually resembles the game somewhat, which is an idea too stupid to be adopted in the West--the Hitman movie comes to mind.)

Ahem:

medium_mkmovie.jpg

Still to this day probably the best, most faithful video game -> movie adaptation

That's really sad that it's considred the most faithful adaptation, given they completely shat over two of the most beloved characters in the game.

"Yeah, so these Scorpion and Sub-Zero characters are probably the two most favorite characters in the series, they have this big backstory and history together and hate each others guts, but that's one plotline too many so we'll just make them the big bad's stooges so the good guys have something they can wipe the floor with."

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I'm sorry, what does that have to do in a movie about Johnny Cage punching a guy with 4 arms in the testicles again?

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    They don't really have much backstory in MK1 though.

Still though I can't believe we're even having this discussion after how many successful video game movies have come out in the past 15 years. Faithful they might not be. Cinematic masterpieces they most certainly are not, but successful? Quite a few of them.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Tomb Raider was very successful. So was Resident Evil.

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Darian wrote: »
    Yeah, Steam sales work for developers and make them a lot of money.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/04/opinion_kohler-we-need-no-one/
    That’s what I mean when I say that games cost too much. Yes, as some have pointed out, game prices have come down considerably since the days of ROM cartridges, when Final Fantasy III on Super Nintendo cost $80 in 1994 money ($125 today). The difference is that you didn’t have a choice then. Today there are abundant, cheaper, low-cost alternatives; Steam and iOS have disrupted the market.

Ben Kuchera wrote this week at Penny Arcade about how Steam, the digital game shop for PCs, is fundamentally transforming the way developers think about buying and selling games. “If you launch a game at $20, and the price goes down to $5,” he writes, “you need to sell four times as many games to make the same money, right? Surprisingly, developers see sales an order of magnitude higher than they expected after severely cutting the price of the game after launch. They don’t just sell four times as many games, they may sell 20 times as many, or more.”

Cut out the publisher, cut out the retailer, cut out the hardware maker, make five times the cash.

Why not price it at $5 from the getgo then?

Because you maximize your potential profits. You get money from all the people willing to buy it at $20, then you get money from all the people willing to buy it at $5. I've bought a bunch of stuff on Steam I would have never bought if it hadn't gone on sale.

Hello and welcome to elasticity of demand.

• Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid 4 was the greatest video game movie of all time.

• Options
    edited April 2012

Street Fighter*
    Double Dragon
    Super Mario Brothers
    Alone in the Dark
    Bloodrayne*
    Tekken
    The King of Fighters
    Prince of Persia
    Hitmjan
    Doom
    Max Payne

Ahem:

medium_mkmovie.jpg

That's really sad that it's considred the most faithful adaptation, given they completely shat over two of the most beloved characters in the game.

"Yeah, so these Scorpion and Sub-Zero characters are probably the two most favorite characters in the series, they have this big backstory and history together and hate each others guts, but that's one plotline too many so we'll just make them the big bad's stooges so the good guys have something they can wipe the floor with."

The way Sub-Zero and Scorpion are used with regards to the actual tournament is still accurate. yes, they completely ignore their rivalry, because the original plan was to make a Sub-Zero vs Scorpion animated movie separate from the full movie. But their use in the tournament is still correct - Scorpion was essentially bought from Quan Chi to participate in the tournament for Outworld, and Sub-Zero was hired from the Lin Kuei to do the same.

They don't really have much backstory in MK1 though.

No, they do. It was just axillary to the actual tournament. Their rivalry doesn't get intertwined with the actual story of the tournament until NEW MK SPOILERS
    Scorpion kills the elder Sub Zero during the 1st MK tournament

In the original game, that happened at the conclusion of the tournament, where in the new game, it happens during the tournament. Every subsequent appearance by Sub-Zero and Scorpion in the series relates to the two entering the tournament for story reasons related to that event, but, in the context of the first tournament, they're both simply hired assassins, nothing more.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Tomb Raider was very successful. So was Resident Evil.

The first RE was okay. The second...well.

A NEMESIS approaches! Command?

A. Run away
    B. Acid Grenades
    C. Flee
    D. BOXING MATCH!

I too enjoyed the first MK movie. Watched it a bunch of times, too.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    I wonder if there is an amount of popularity at which the likelihood of having a movie actually decreases. It should be easy to get the rights to mediocre or POS movies. With popular games, the company is more likely to want to ensure that it is high budget and whatnot.

• Options
    I wonder if there is an amount of popularity at which the likelihood of having a movie actually decreases. It should be easy to get the rights to mediocre or POS movies. With popular games, the company is more likely to want to ensure that it is high budget and whatnot.

I would think that would relate to how much control the creative visionary behind the series in question has. I'd imagine if a publisher has complete control over a series and isn't hands-off, then they don't necessarily care about the quality of their project, but how much money it brings in. And you can take in a lot of money from a quick cash-in movie.

• Options

I would think that would relate to how much control the creative visionary behind the series in question has. I'd imagine if a publisher has complete control over a series and isn't hands-off, then they don't necessarily care about the quality of their project, but how much money it brings in. And you can take in a lot of money from a quick cash-in movie.

That would explain Resident Evil. Capcom has always been about that sort of thing.

• Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    Trials Evolution already had 100,000 users on the leaderboard on Wed.

Puts a little perspective from the Arcade list earlier in the thread.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Trials Evolution already had 100,000 users on the leaderboard on Wed.

Puts a little perspective from the Arcade list earlier in the thread.

The leaderboards for Trials Evo were getting hammered by so many people yesterday, that they shit the bed. There was like, an hour long gap where you couldn't connect to them.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Yeah, I mean it seems pretty obvious to me that slapping a big -75% tag onto a game for a limited time creates an impetus to purchase it all on its own because you feel like you're getting a deal.
    Ugh... so, I guess that shitlord who went on a killing spree in Norway a couple months ago is claiming he trained for his rampage by playing Modern Warfare 3 and World of Warcraft.

Greeeeat.

Welcome to last year?

?

Didn't that happen in January or something?

July last year

Oh wow...

Well, at any rate, he's now claiming MW3 and WoW helped him do it.

His trial just started recently, so this is all going to be coming back into the media spotlight.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I have to admit, Trials Evolution looks so awesomely zany that I will be buying it.

And it's not even a genre of game I typically like.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Goddamn, RedLynx has come a long way. I remember when they were making shitty cellphone games with pretty much the same concept.

They didn't just polish that turd, they gave it a brilliant cut.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »
    I got it during the sale, it's a pretty bad-ass piece of tech for just 300 bucks. Much cheaper and bigger than comparable 3D PC monitors.

Ironically, I use my 360 on it more than the PS3, but both do 3D fine in games that support it.

No tuner, which kills its usefulness as a television.

It works fine a a TV, just have to plug in a source.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I got it during the sale, it's a pretty bad-ass piece of tech for just 300 bucks. Much cheaper and bigger than comparable 3D PC monitors.

Ironically, I use my 360 on it more than the PS3, but both do 3D fine in games that support it.

Kinda hard to plug my digital OTA antenna in on a TV with no tuner.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Got permission to write an article. :)

The Effect of Short-Term Sales on Quantity Sold - A Case Study on Zeboyd's Deal of the Day

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/RobertBoyd/20120419/168913/The_Effect_of_ShortTerm_Sales_on_Quantity_Sold__A_Case_Studio_on_Zeboyds_Deal_of_the_Day.php

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    http://www.shacknews.com/article/73417/source-human-head-hasnt-worked-on-prey-2-since-november
    News that Prey 2 had not been cancelled, but rather delayed, was relieving to fans of the original. However, why has there been such secrecy surrounding the project over the last several months?

According to a Shacknews source who asked not to be identified, Human Head was not happy with the terms of its contract with ZeniMax, and deliberately stopped work on the game in November so it could try to negotiate a more favorable deal. While doing that, many on the development team were laid off, with the hope they would be rehired if the contract issue was resolved favorably. The process seemed to be gathering some positive momentum until January when ZeniMax's responses all but stopped, causing some of the laid-off Prey 2 team to wonder if the game would ever see the light of day.

By March 1, the source said, things had progressed a bit, leaving the Prey 2 team hopeful that they would return to work soon. But that quickly soured the following day. The source could provide no further first-hand details after March 2.

When contacted for a response, an official at ZeniMax responded that "we aren't commenting on the game's development beyond what was said in the statement that was released this morning."

In light of the new information, the official stance that "the delay is due to the fact that game development has not progressed satisfactorily this past year, and the game does not currently meet our quality standards" seems to throw Human Head under the creative bus. With development stalled for months, it's no surprise that the game would be unable to meet so-called "quality standards."

It is unclear at this point what ZeniMax will do with the title now. A new developer certainly looks likely, and it would not be the first time Bethesda had changed developers on a game, namely shifting Rogue Warrior from Zombie Studios to Rebellion in 2009.

The source did say that one thing that kept the Human Head studio in a positive frame of mind was that they were working on a new high-profile project and negotiations for that game were going quite well. While they didn't give us any further details, the developer did recently admit they were "considering" a sequel to Rune.

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Didn't Rogue Warrior end up "blowing chunks"?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Unfortunately the development budget was $200 million plus massive marketing on top of that, so "not bad at all" might not cut it. Especially since analysts are already looking at the sub numbers with a worried eye.

It's doing fucking fine. These are the same assholes complaining about 13 million units of Battlefield 3. Do they want the eleventy billion WoW subscribers? Sure, but Riccitiello still considers it profitable.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    EVOL wrote: »
    Here's the known Japanese release schedule for Vita
    06/14
    Super Monkey Ball: Tokumori AsoVita!
    ..Yeah. Not good.

I know this was a few pages ago, but I just have to ask.. how the hell do they expect the Vita to do well with no Ridge Racer at launch in the US and no Monkey Ball at launch anywhere? These are staples of system launches and they're not there. What a failure.

:lol:

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Shadowfire wrote: »

It's doing fucking fine. These are the same assholes complaining about 13 million units of Battlefield 3. Do they want the eleventy billion WoW subscribers? Sure, but Riccitiello still considers it profitable.
    It depends on how long term they expected the subscribers to be. A drop off in subscriptions in a year could make it lower than expectations if they were expecting a million subscribers for X number of years when it is only a year or two until it drops to below a million. They probably had someone do calculations to try and figure out how long the average subscriber would stay.

Couscous on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    06/14
    ..Yeah. Not good.

I know this was a few pages ago, but I just have to ask.. how the hell do they expect the Vita to do well with no Ridge Racer at launch in the US and no Monkey Ball at launch anywhere? These are staples of system launches and they're not there. What a failure.

Uh, Vita has a ridge racer game. it's just terrible in every way. Because bamco decided 80% of the game should be DLC.

Motorstorm RC, on the other hand, is spectacular.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Either way they've recovered enough of their cost that it isn't going to "sink bioware" if it takes a huge nosedive tomorrow.

Whether it's "profitable to run" in the future, well, all games eventually run out of that. If it's sooner it just means the loss of a revenue stream and the resources go elsewhere. If it's later the same, but we're all totally sick of it by then. Either way, the loss of profit is moving forward at that point, if it stops they just put the studio on something else unless they get rid of them; in which case they just hire someone else anyways.

For an MMO to effectively be a loss it has to either 1: Be the only revenue stream for your company (and as such if it isn't making money you're all sitting in your office sucking up paychecks until it runs out), which means an independent studio instead of an EA/Activision/Ubisoft or 2: Tank within the first two months, before box/development costs can be reouped enough that it won't crater your company.

People just don't seem to get how MMO finances work. Take Champions Online. It, somehow, still makes money. But at the same time, Atari (the new one that really just bought the name) decided to sell them. Why? Because the monetary investment could probably turn out a better profit elsewhere. (while I agree on that, their decision making capabilities say to me they won't find that, but they've been screwing up for awhile now)

In my personal opinion I'm going to throw out I think the MMO market is horribly glutted and has been for a few years and companies big and small need to either STOP MAKING MORE MMOs or make smaller budget F2P ones.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular

Kinda hard to plug my digital OTA antenna in on a TV with no tuner.

You wouldn't be getting any 3D content anyways with an OTA so I guess this isn't for you? You said it can't be used as a TV, I told you it can. Just because you use some archaic signal method that won't work doesn't mean it's not possible.

• Options
    06/14
    ..Yeah. Not good.

Uh, Vita has a ridge racer game. it's just terrible in every way. Because bamco decided 80% of the game should be DLC.

Motorstorm RC, on the other hand, is spectacular.

Why don't you like fun?
    Every system launch has a ridge racer and monkey ball title? Ba-zing?

Nothing? :(

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Episode 47 in the Valve/Apple/Nintendo/Ditch Witch saga:
    Apple CEO Tim Cook and Valve head Gabe Newell did not actually meet last week as rumored, according to a new podcast interview with Newell.

He squashed the week-old rumor in an interview with the fine folks at Seven Day Cooldown, who were kind enough to let us in on some early excerpts from the fascinating and far-ranging discussion with Newell. He didn't dodge the question:

We actually, we all sent mail to each other, going, "Who's Tim Cook meeting with? Is he meeting with you? I'm not meeting with Tim Cook." So we're... it's one of those rumors that was stated so factually that we were actually confused.

No one here was meeting with Tim Cook or with anybody at Apple that day. I wish we were! We have a long list of things we'd love to see Apple do to support games and gaming better. But no, we didn't meet with Tim Cook. He seems like a smart guy, but I've never actually met him.

http://kotaku.com/5903555/gabe-newell-says-valve+apple-meeting-didnt-happen

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    LOL

Would have been funny if he called Tim Cook to ask him where he was so he could meet him, to find out he wasn't even there.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    VelspertheCatVelspertheCat Registered User regular
    This is turning into the Where's Waldo of the gaming industry.

This discussion has been closed.