Options

Que veux-tu, [chat]? Happy May Day!

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Oh, it's the first of may.

I better buy that Jonathan Coulton song and listen all day.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Jesus, I hate these college cost projections.

4 year costs, graduation in 2020:
    Public $93k
    Private $187k

2025:
    $113k
    $211k

2030:
    $136k
    $237k

*shudder*

It's a bubble, and it's unsustainable. I'm hoping the whole facade will crumble in the next two years - let the bloodletting commence before I have to start paying for it!

Spool, I love you, but you need to start thinking about how the things you say sound to people.

aaahahahaha I know, that sounded super heartless didn't it? But bubbles do need to burst and if there's one sector of the economy that needs to purge the cruft and get back to its core mission, it's college education. Our system produces so much waste and meaningless credentialing alongside the actual education, and something has to give.

Bubbles need to burst sooner rather than later.

I agree, but damn dude. Daaaaaaaamn.

Preferably I'd like to structure it so that the bursting bubble won't fuck over an entire generation of kids, but the how to on that is where it gets complicated.

Stop public funding for colleges that increase tuition above the rate of inflation?

Take what you have to admit is a bold move and demand, like Perry, that the state system offer a 4-year degree for a total of $10k?

There are ways to let the air out of this bubble and it needs to happen sooner rather than later. I'm not really sure collapsing a system that saddles kids with decades of crushing debt to teach skills they won't be able to use while discharging the debt is fucking over a generation of kids. I kinda think that's what we're doing right now.

I mean if college is important for the workforce/populace whatever in the same manner as High School, if that's a thing we believe, then it should be so affordable that there are basically no barriers to entry. It should be like $20 a semester, or free.

If it was just private colleges jacking up tuition this would be different, but fuck my state school is hovering at around $75,000 for four years which, christ. It does need to be addressed really as fast as possible, preferably in a way that doesn't entirely eliminate my research funding but oh well.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Comics to read for everybody a short essay by Durandal:

- The Sixth Gun
    - King City
    - Orc Stain
    - Chew
    - Prophet

These are all pretty fun, especially the Sixth Gun man do I love that book.

:3

Muh fuggin Orc Stain and Prophet are both so super badical

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    guys should i spend $80 on a razer mouse for moba ownage

this seems like a sound decision

your mouse is what's holding you back....?

I need to turn on smart cast. I shall do that tonight.

my mouse and keyboard are the basic things that come with a computer out of the box. two buttons and a scroll wheel.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    fun fact: There's been 4 dudes to take up the mantle of the Flash

Jay Garrick, Barry Allen, Wally West, and Bart Allen

and there's been like 5 Robins (Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, Stephanie Brown, and Damien Wayne)

so maybe people who aren't comic book fans should stop talking out they'se ass about subjects beyond them

You seem to think that I'm not aware that various superhero mantles have been worn by others.

What I'm saying is that it was a horrible decision every time in the case of the examples I mentioned. I specifically mentioned those examples because those characters are the ones that offend me most when they give the mantle to someone else.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    College services need to be curtailed, severely. IMO, your line of thought is part of the problem.

Nah. I think I was unclear about what I meant by "curtailing services."

See, I agree completely with the following sentences:
    A lot of the problem with the post-secondary education system is how little educating it gets done relative to the money it spends. Unfortunately, I think you're right about the outcome because the college administrators can't be relied upon to trim the fat while maintaining their core mission of educating students.

It'd be possible to massively slash tuition and still provide a good education, but it would require cutting a lot of campus sacred cows and increasing the actual teaching output of the faculty. Neither of these things will happen in any institution I'm familiar with, because the people with the power to do the cutting won't do it.

You're absolutely right - a smaller and smaller percentage of college budgets get spent on core services (education and research) every year, while administrative and overhead costs go up.

However, here's where our thinking diverges.

One big driver (though not the only driver by any stretch of the imagination) of that is that the value of a college education is very unclear - how much does it really matter if you go to one school versus a different school? So students and parents choose their schools based on prestige criteria like the quality of the residential facilities or the dining facilities.

So let's say the bubble bursts and customers become extremely cost-conscious. Universities will have incentives to cut costs, but they will not have incentive to change the proportional budget allocations of their respective revenues. If anything, they'll be even more desperate to attract customers. Administration, facilities, and overhead will continue to be disproportionate drivers of tuition costs. The bubble bursting would just lead to academic services being squeezed even tighter.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    What's the capital of Bogata?

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

my mouse and keyboard are the basic things that come with a computer out of the box. two buttons and a scroll wheel.

Shudder.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »
    I just read a really detailed article about the effects a professional football career has on the typical player's body and brain specifically, and now it's getting awfully hard to justify watching that sport in particular.
    Indeed. It's also much more static (and thus limited in kinetic creativity) than non-segmented sports (kind of by definition...) and that places it below such gems of humanity as hockey, basketball, etc.
    I'm certainly not settled on either side of the discussion, but I have a lot to think about.

There are sports to enjoy where I don't encourage giant men to run into each other as hard as they can.
    You know what's awesome? The NFL denied that it had any such effect for decades. And when low-rent players got too injured to play, they just told them "don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out; I hear they're hiring at McDonald's."

It's fucking appalling. Football is a horrible fucking sport. I've been meaning to make a thread about this for awhile.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Buying a decent mouse improved my WoW game significantly.

Being able to map commonly-used functions to the extra scroll wheel and buttons was huuuuuuuuuuuuge.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    1800 elo with a $5 logitech snitches

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    superheroes are awesome and i keep wanting to get into comics but it's just too vast and intimidating and i don't know where to start diving in

I feel this way too.

I want to get into Marvel comics, but (and maybe this is just comic book nerds being comic book nerds) I am told that picking up any particular run of comics is like summer-salting through a minefield.

People who say this are people who dont read funnybooks

I mean, you're not going to injure yourself I you miss a throwaway reference to something from years back

Also the 80s and 90/ were a while ago

Superhero comics have a real hard on for being approachable and not insular right now

You would need zero background to read any of DC's new comics

It doesn't really matter who was in the x-men or avengers a decade ago most of the time

Well the problem is less that I'm worried about not getting the continuity (I have wikipedia afterall), the problem is more that I am told that some comic runs are absolutely atrocious while others are great and figuring out which ones are which is not straightforward.

But like I said, this is coming from the mouth of a girl who is one of those incredibly hard to please types when it comes to media and trashes anything that does not appeal to her.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular

Shudder.

2 buttons and a scroll wheel/3rd button is more than enough. *arms crossed*

• Options
    I like girl robin

They should bring girl robin back

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2012
    @desc are you down for space shenanigans @ 6pm your time?

Jacobkosh on
  • Options

Shudder.

You don't even need a mouse in DOS, gramps.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    football is awesome you nancies

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

No.

Read the comic in this post instead:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/17876206#Comment_17876206

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I also made it clear that my opinions were boring and milquetoast and not very creative. But Pony always gotta get mad

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Comics to read for everybody a short essay by Durandal:

- The Sixth Gun
    - King City
    - Orc Stain
    - Chew
    - Prophet

These are all pretty fun, especially the Sixth Gun man do I love that book.

I have never heard of any of these books. I mean, I know you're a real person, but this is suspicious!
    6G-handmaid.jpg
    Prophet_23_Panel.jpg
    orcstain007-06-07.jpg
    They're all super cool.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

Being able to map commonly-used functions to the extra scroll wheel and buttons was huuuuuuuuuuuuge.

i need to bind /laugh to a side button so i can wage pyschological warfare in lane

• Options
    edited May 2012
    superheroes are awesome and i keep wanting to get into comics but it's just too vast and intimidating and i don't know where to start diving in

I feel this way too.

I want to get into Marvel comics, but (and maybe this is just comic book nerds being comic book nerds) I am told that picking up any particular run of comics is like summer-salting through a minefield.

I mean, you're not going to injure yourself I you miss a throwaway reference to something from years back

Superhero comics have a real hard on for being approachable and not insular right now

It doesn't really matter who was in the x-men or avengers a decade ago most of the time

Well the problem is less that I'm worried about not getting the continuity (I have wikipedia afterall), the problem is more that I am told that some comic runs are absolutely atrocious while others are great and figuring out which ones are which is not straightforward.

But like I said, this is coming from the mouth of a girl who is one of those incredibly hard to please types when it comes to media and trashes anything that does not appeal to her.

Comic book writers do love to drop shout outs to old characters/events but the way they include them into the story is such that if you have never heard of,for example, Jean Grey or the Pheonix Force, they go out of their way to explain it all for you.

The first page of every Marvel/DC book I follow is a summary of what is going on in the story thus far. Very new reader friendly .

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »
    I just read a really detailed article about the effects a professional football career has on the typical player's body and brain specifically, and now it's getting awfully hard to justify watching that sport in particular.
    Indeed. It's also much more static (and thus limited in kinetic creativity) than non-segmented sports (kind of by definition...) and that places it below such gems of humanity as hockey, basketball, etc.
    I'm certainly not settled on either side of the discussion, but I have a lot to think about.

There are sports to enjoy where I don't encourage giant men to run into each other as hard as they can.
    You know what's awesome? The NFL denied that it had any such effect for decades. And when low-rent players got too injured to play, they just told them "don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out; I hear they're hiring at McDonald's."

It's fucking appalling. Football is a horrible fucking sport. I've been meaning to make a thread about this for awhile.

I mean, I was aware of this discussion for the last 3 years or so, but I'd never really been exposed to the extent of the problem (and frankly did my best to avoid such exposure).

But, yeah. I'll have to mull this over before the next season starts. In the meantime, I think I can generally watch baseball without fretting too much about the damage to the pitchers' elbows and shoulders.

At least it's not crippling brain damage.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    which educational services ought to be cut? i mean, assuming you talk about lowering funding for athletic institutions that don't generate revenue and curtailing administrative pay and maybe making alumni parties less lavish... what are the actual educational things you think are just wastes of money?

• Options

I feel this way too.

Comic book writers do love to drop shout outs to old characters/events but the way they include them into the story is such that if you have never heard of Jean Grey or the Pheonix Force they go out of their way to explain it all for you.

The first page of every Marvel/DC book I follow is a summary of what is going on in the story thus far. Very new reader friendly .

Right, but I keep saying I'm not worried about accessibility I'm worried about the comics blowing :P.

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    holy cow

the Wii version of La Mulana got canceled

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    which educational services ought to be cut? i mean, assuming you talk about lowering funding for athletic institutions that don't generate revenue and curtailing administrative pay and maybe making alumni parties less lavish... what are the actual educational things you think are just wastes of money?

Who are you talking to?

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2012
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    i don't think i'm into superman, batman or spiderman

Read All-Star Superman. Just shut up and read it, we both know I'm right.

oh no

"we both know i'm right"

"of course i'm right, i'm talking"

i'm not tolerating this

putting my foot down

no superman

no superman ever

I like this about you. :)

i am tenacious

No, not really.

i will fight you

Cass, if you were here right now I'd pat you on the head.

Considering that she's already got Pony in her life I think she's all full up on being patronized.

Dynagrip on
  • Options

Shudder.

You don't even need a mouse in DOS, gramps.

You can't tell but I am shooting you with my NES Zapper Light Gun! Good for Duck Hunt and GOOSE HUNT!

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »

Who are you talking to?

spool.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Gooey wrote: »
    what is the point of may day

all i remember is that in grade school we usually had our field day on may day and they did those may pole things
    It's a celebration of labor, and those who fucking work for a living.

It's not something Texas respects in the least, so I understand why you wouldn't have heard of it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    holy cow

the Wii version of La Mulana got canceled

all 6 people who still play Wii games must be very sad

• Options

No.

Read the comic in this post instead:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/17876206#Comment_17876206

i have read it

s'good

• Options
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    what is the point of may day

all i remember is that in grade school we usually had our field day on may day and they did those may pole things
    It's a celebration of labor, and those who fucking work for a living.

It's not something Texas respects in the least, so I understand why you wouldn't have heard of it.

not recognizing the value of hard work seems like a stereotype about city slicking new yorkers in their suits, scoffing at those colored bell hops

i thought country ass hicks edified 'honest work' and poked fun at smahties

• Options

I feel this way too.

Comic book writers do love to drop shout outs to old characters/events but the way they include them into the story is such that if you have never heard of Jean Grey or the Pheonix Force they go out of their way to explain it all for you.

Right, but I keep saying I'm not worried about accessibility I'm worried about the comics blowing :P.

No one has a NES Zapper light gun to your head.

Or do they?

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

i need to bind /laugh to a side button so i can wage pyschological warfare in lane

This is an acceptable use of technology to make your lol playing better. I'm starting to worry that things will get weird soon when someone had some kind of add-on in the last game I played to automatically call out respawn timers in chat. I was not sure how I felt about that. Next thing they'll have a mod that puts a cross-hair over minions when they're health is less than your AA damage.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    I was so good at fantasy football, too ...

I'll have to get good at fantasy baseball or hockey or something! They play so many more games!

• Options
    lux and lulu have godtier laughs

• Options

I feel this way too.

No one has a NES Zapper light gun to your head.

Or do they?

I'm just saying you guys should tell me which comics don't suck!

• Options
    Also, I've been referring to our wedding planner with the cruise line as "Ana" for months now. That includes on the phone, in emails, everywhere.

Just today learned / noticed her first name is Aimé.

Jesus, that is one patient woman.

This discussion has been closed.