That still frame says it all, really.

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Winky's diagnoses:
    ADD - 21stcentury, OTLC, Notch
    ADHD - Organichu, Inquisitor, Preacher, Demurist

If you want to hear my own personal speculation about how it all works, basically:

There is some sort of genetic factor for antisocial personality disorder/psychopathy that causes baseline emotional suppression. Essentially, it makes it harder for you to feel emotions normally, your base threshold for feeling is very high. As a result, individuals with psychopathy tend to have a harder time sympathizing with others and they will take lots of unnecessary risks because they are less afraid of the consequences of their actions and desire emotional stimulation.

It has been speculated that antisocial personality disorder and histrionic personality disorder are actually the same thing, but just expressed differently: histrionic individuals produce drama for the sake of emotional stimulation, while individuals with antisocial personality disorder commit crimes or violence for the same ends. As an aside, I think that borderline personality disorder and hypochondria are both forms of histrionic personality disorder.

Now, I'm going to speculate people with ADHD have a form of psychopathy, perhaps even to go so far as to assume that people with ADHD are basically just a phenotype of antisocial personality disorder: it's just one of the better ways you can turn out. These individuals will act spontaneously and hyper-actively as a way of attempting to stimulate themselves.

One interesting thing about psychopathy is that most individuals eventually calm down. I don't know if any of you have ever heard of "psychopath burnout" but basically most people hit a certain age and no longer exhibit the same symptoms. This has been shown to definitely happen with ADHD, as most individuals become much less hyperactive after a certain age.

ADD, however, has an additional component: a mutation of the DRD4 gene. The DRD4 gene is involved in both ADD and in schizophrenia, and it causes a deficit in working memory. This causes significant issues for the ADD sufferer because they seek out mental stimulation but they get mentally exhausted very quickly. Instead of getting hyperactive, they get day-dreamy and lethargic.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    So, Winky, what is your e-diagnosis of me? Intermittent Explosive Disorder?

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    hey @Mim

I am in Allentown

wanna do something?

don't do it, mim

1) allentown sucks

2) i'm pretty sure this guy jerks off with a curling iron

I don't know what #2 means.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    but i don't have a personality disorder. :( i'm not sociopathic or antisocial at all.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    out of curiosity what is "working memory"?

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Winky's diagnoses:

If you want to hear my own personal speculation about how it all works, basically:

There is some sort of genetic factor for antisocial personality disorder/psychopathy that causes baseline emotional suppression. Essentially, it makes it harder for you to feel emotions normally, your base threshold for feeling is very high. As a result, individuals with psychopathy tend to have a harder time sympathizing with others and they will take lots of unnecessary risks because they are less afraid of the consequences of their actions and desire emotional stimulation.

It has been speculated that antisocial personality disorder and histrionic personality disorder are actually the same thing, but just expressed differently: histrionic individuals produce drama for the sake of emotional stimulation, while individuals with antisocial personality disorder commit crimes or violence for the same ends. As an aside, I think that borderline personality disorder and hypochondria are both forms of histrionic personality disorder.

Now, I'm going to speculate people with ADHD have a form of psychopathy, perhaps even to go so far as to assume that people with ADHD are basically just a phenotype of antisocial personality disorder: it's just one of the better ways you can turn out. These individuals will act spontaneously and hyper-actively as a way of attempting to stimulate themselves.

One interesting thing about psychopathy is that most individuals eventually calm down. I don't know if any of you have ever heard of "psychopath burnout" but basically most people hit a certain age and no longer exhibit the same symptoms. This has been shown to definitely happen with ADHD, as most individuals become much less hyperactive after a certain age.

ADD, however, has an additional component: a mutation of the DRD4 gene. The DRD4 gene is involved in both ADD and in schizophrenia, and it causes a deficit in working memory. This causes significant issues for the ADD sufferer because they seek out mental stimulation but they get mentally exhausted very quickly. Instead of getting hyperactive, they get day-dreamy and lethargic.

This is the opposite of science.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I tried watching Archer. The animation is distractingly bad.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Tav wrote: »

the comedy is distractingly amazing and perfect and keep watching.

• Options
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Winky's diagnoses:

Quiet, Posh. You, apparently, are the opposite of schadenfreude.

• Options
    Your face is distractingly bad.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I jut spent way to long doing nothing but blowing shit up over and over again in Saboteur. I only have 26 percent completion for this shit. Curse my inability not to do this kind of shit. At least it can't bea s bad as Just Cause 2's collection shit.

• Options
    Terms of Enrampagement is the greatest acomplishment of our civilization.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    but i don't have a personality disorder. :( i'm not sociopathic or antisocial at all.

I didn't want to mention it because I didn't want to be rude but you were torturing domesticated animals and telling me that it was my fault the whole time we were having lunch.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    I picked up some poison oak while I was visiting my parents over the weekend.

I'm kind of tempted to go to the doctor and get him to prescribe me some prednisone just to make it go away.
    I would.
    Yes, but you are a wuss. You can't even handle hippie laundry detergent, let alone poison oak. :bz

Haha. Did you know that's exactly what I was thinking of when I posted? It was traumatizing.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Winky's diagnoses:

I definitely said it was speculation (including my bs diagnoses).

But it's all based on science, these are my speculations based on doing my own research into ADD, antisocial personality disorder, etc.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Great, i come back from a workout in a good mood for once, my spirits raised and BAM, Winky diagnoses me with ADD. My life is over.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    sometimes I think I'm a sociopath

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

Your entire life is distractingly bad!

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Sounds like Scientologist talk to me ... hmmm.

• Options

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_memory

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Winky what is my diagnosis

Do I have terminal boneitis?

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    How many disorders do i need to have before it's considered a collection?

• Options
    dk - I'm building a new palace / villiage on an empty island on your server (not far from my jungle treehouse) and needed a temporary dwelling / safehouse / storage place.

So I built this last night:
    bB5NJ.jpg

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

Kinda your train of thought. Used to be called 'short-term memory' but the term changed to reflect re-evaluation of the mechanisms.

I believe.

• Options
    Variable wrote: »

Sometimes I make jokes in public/Facebook, and then I think "oh, that reaction is why I shouldn't speak to people."

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Guys, I need the hearts!

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options

You only need more than one item to have a collection but generally if you want the label to be meaningful, all the members need a strong commonality or systematic organization.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »

Me too.

But then I realize I love you just the waaaay you arrrrre.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    I don't actually think you are a sociopath, Variable.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I think I have ADD. I don't want to shell out the $400 it'll apparently cost me to get it tested, though.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    dk - I'm building a new palace / villiage on an empty island on your server (not far from my jungle treehouse) and needed a temporary dwelling / safehouse / storage place.

So I built this last night:
    bB5NJ.jpg

That is really neat but also makes me sad that you can't actually create vehicles.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    whew

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    5 minutes ago, i logged my workout on Fitocracy. I have 0 fitocracy friends (I just like filling bars, it's keeping me motivated) and yet, in 5 minutes, two people gave me props... Why? how? don't mock me!

• Options

When there's enough that if you put them all in an Excel spreadsheet someone will look at it and say "hey man you should alphabetize that shit" and you're like "no, no, no, that wouldn't be appropriate...this is a list of my disorders."

• Options
    ronya wrote: »
    I think I have ADD. I don't want to shell out the $400 it'll apparently cost me to get it tested, though.

Maybe you just have Stingyitis.

• Options
    phew. code checked in. Time to head home.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ronya wrote: »

Maybe you just have Stingyitis.

You do talk about money a lot.

• Options

"Antisocial personality disorder" is misleading, people with antisocial personality disorder are often very charismatic people.

Anyway, the point is that ADHD is like the good way you can turn out if you have the factor for antisocial personality disorder. It's the same basic problem, but you deal with it in a more constructive way. I don't want to make assumptions about your family, but there are definitely people in your family who show signs of antisocial personality disorder, aren't there (your siblings)?
    So, Winky, what is your e-diagnosis of me? Intermittent Explosive Disorder?

No idea, you don't have any disorder I know of.

This discussion has been closed.