Que veux-tu, [chat]? Happy May Day!

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Winky's diagnoses:
    ADD - 21stcentury, OTLC, Notch
    ADHD - Organichu, Inquisitor, Preacher, Demurist

If you want to hear my own personal speculation about how it all works, basically:

There is some sort of genetic factor for antisocial personality disorder/psychopathy that causes baseline emotional suppression. Essentially, it makes it harder for you to feel emotions normally, your base threshold for feeling is very high. As a result, individuals with psychopathy tend to have a harder time sympathizing with others and they will take lots of unnecessary risks because they are less afraid of the consequences of their actions and desire emotional stimulation.

It has been speculated that antisocial personality disorder and histrionic personality disorder are actually the same thing, but just expressed differently: histrionic individuals produce drama for the sake of emotional stimulation, while individuals with antisocial personality disorder commit crimes or violence for the same ends. As an aside, I think that borderline personality disorder and hypochondria are both forms of histrionic personality disorder.

Now, I'm going to speculate people with ADHD have a form of psychopathy, perhaps even to go so far as to assume that people with ADHD are basically just a phenotype of antisocial personality disorder: it's just one of the better ways you can turn out. These individuals will act spontaneously and hyper-actively as a way of attempting to stimulate themselves.

One interesting thing about psychopathy is that most individuals eventually calm down. I don't know if any of you have ever heard of "psychopath burnout" but basically most people hit a certain age and no longer exhibit the same symptoms. This has been shown to definitely happen with ADHD, as most individuals become much less hyperactive after a certain age.

ADD, however, has an additional component: a mutation of the DRD4 gene. The DRD4 gene is involved in both ADD and in schizophrenia, and it causes a deficit in working memory. This causes significant issues for the ADD sufferer because they seek out mental stimulation but they get mentally exhausted very quickly. Instead of getting hyperactive, they get day-dreamy and lethargic.

This is the opposite of science.

But it's exactly what soft-science is.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    So, Winky, what is your e-diagnosis of me? Intermittent Explosive Disorder?
    No idea, you don't have any disorder I know of.
    Suck it, sick bitches.

I have an internet clean bill of health.

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Winky's diagnoses:
    ADD - 21stcentury, OTLC, Notch
    ADHD - Organichu, Inquisitor, Preacher, Demurist

If you want to hear my own personal speculation about how it all works, basically:

<snip snap went the vorpal blade>

This is the opposite of science.
    Quiet, Posh. You, apparently, are the opposite of schadenfreude.

I don't understand, so:

Thank you/feck you

delete as appropriate.

Actually, since I'm neither a policeman, HFCS soda nor a Hostess Cup Cake, I guess you were being nice.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    So I was sent a potential offer for a permanent job. Right now I'm consulting.

Thing is:

1) I'm not sure what "permanent" means anymore. A lot of FTEs I know are getting laid off lately. Not so permanent, huh.
    2) This job pays about 1/2 what I get now. Maybe less.
    3) I'm getting really good feedback at my job. I'm doing well here.

So, while it's nice that I'm actually getting some nibbles for "permanent" jobs, I think I need to pass on this one. I'm not being stupid, am I?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Organichu wrote: »
    but i don't have a personality disorder. :( i'm not sociopathic or antisocial at all.

I didn't want to mention it because I didn't want to be rude but you were torturing domesticated animals and telling me that it was my fault the whole time we were having lunch.

in my defense they trespassed on my property.

don't tread on me.

back to gold.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    is drd4 out already?

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    ALL THE STEM MAJORS IN CHAT CAN SUCK MY DICK

LIBERAL ARTS MOTHAFUCKA

DRINK TILL IM SICK

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    My boss just sent me text message and said he will be calling shortly.

WHAT IS THIS WHY CAN'T WORKING 11 HOUR DAYS BE GOOD ENOUGH?! FFFFFFFFFFFFF

(Actually this project is super awesome and I will end up getting flown around the world in a few months and get paid for it 8-) )

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Elki wrote: »
    I picked up some poison oak while I was visiting my parents over the weekend.

I'm kind of tempted to go to the doctor and get him to prescribe me some prednisone just to make it go away.
    I would.
    Yes, but you are a wuss. You can't even handle hippie laundry detergent, let alone poison oak. :bz
    Haha. Did you know that's exactly what I was thinking of when I posted? It was traumatizing.
    Given that you've never even had a sunburn, that doesn't surprise me.

Black people have all the luck!

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

LIBERAL ARTS MOTHAFUCKA

DRINK TILL IM SICK

how are you going to afford all that alcohol

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Holy four hour power nap Batman.

I cannot believe I slept that long.

• Options
    I picked up some poison oak while I was visiting my parents over the weekend.

I'm kind of tempted to go to the doctor and get him to prescribe me some prednisone just to make it go away.
    I would.
    Yes, but you are a wuss. You can't even handle hippie laundry detergent, let alone poison oak. :bz
    Haha. Did you know that's exactly what I was thinking of when I posted? It was traumatizing.
    Given that you've never even had a sunburn, that doesn't surprise me.

Black people have all the luck!

This is why racism exists.

Sunburns.

• Options
    Drez wrote: »

Thing is:

1) I'm not sure what "permanent" means anymore. A lot of FTEs I know are getting laid off lately. Not so permanent, huh.

So, while it's nice that I'm actually getting some nibbles for "permanent" jobs, I think I need to pass on this one. I'm not being stupid, am I?
    Depends on the benefits, but yeah, that's a pretty huge pay hit.

If the job sounds good, you might want to make a counter-offer. Most places that hire you as temp aren't ever going to take you on permanently; it's cheaper for them to hire someone else.

• Options
    Anyway, the point is that ADHD is like the good way you can turn out if you have the factor for antisocial personality disorder. It's the same basic problem, but you deal with it in a more constructive way. I don't want to make assumptions about your family, but there are definitely people in your family who show signs of antisocial personality disorder, aren't there (your siblings)?

It's not the same basic problem, though.

It's only the same problem if by "problem" you mean "something is wrong".

• Options
    edited May 2012

Thing is:

If the job sounds good, you might want to make a counter-offer. Most places that hire you as temp aren't ever going to take you on permanently; it's cheaper for them to hire someone else.

I would agree with that last point except for two things:

1) They have recently converted a few consultants to FTE in my department.
    2) They seem quite impressed with my work and they keep involving me in more and more things.

I do know that it's rare, though.

But yeah I don't want to get too specific here, but 50% is a massive downgrade in pay.

Drez on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    Anyway, the point is that ADHD is like the good way you can turn out if you have the factor for antisocial personality disorder. It's the same basic problem, but you deal with it in a more constructive way. I don't want to make assumptions about your family, but there are definitely people in your family who show signs of antisocial personality disorder, aren't there (your siblings)?

It is the same basic problem in that it is an issue with a dopaminergic pathway to the striatum that would normally dis-inhibit the amygdala. The difference is how the individual deals with this deficiency in a behavioral sense.

• Options

Thing is:

2) They seem quite impressed with my work and they keep involving me in more and more things.

But yeah I don't want to get too specific here, but 50% is a massive downgrade in pay.

No matter how much you're making, 50% is a massive downgrade in pay.

And if you've witnessed them converting people to full-time, it may be worth sticking around.

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    hey @Mim

I am in Allentown

wanna do something?

I don't have a way to get from Philly to Allentown. Also, tomorrow and Thursday I'm either prepping for finals (from 9-12 and then from 1 to 5) or doing a final.

Sorry CC!

• Options

Thing is:

Permanent doesn't really mean anything. You can still get let go when you're 'permanent'.

And if a company is paying very little you might need to leave yourself.

I am surprised you're even considering it.

• Options

It is the same basic problem in that it is an issue with a dopaminergic pathway to the striatum that would normally dis-inhibit the amygdala. The difference is how the individual deals with this deficiency in a behavioral sense.

Stop making up words.

Like dopaminergic, striatum, amygdala, difference, individual, deficiency, and sense.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular

LIBERAL ARTS MOTHAFUCKA

DRINK TILL IM SICK

charging for lol erotica

• Options

Thing is:

Permanent doesn't really mean anything. You can still get let go when you're 'permanent'.

I'm not, really. I just wanted someone to pat me on the head.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

LIBERAL ARTS MOTHAFUCKA

DRINK TILL IM SICK

charging for lol erotica

Hmm, how much is a regular commission?

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    hey @Riemannlives @desc @thomamelas @jacobkosh

we are spacering in like 10

also I have ADD, Winky, why did you not diagnose this your entire system is folly and you are terrible

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

Thing is:

GOOD BOY! WHO'S A GOOD BOY THEN?

• Options

Thing is:

Is it...is it me??

• Options
    @Drez I wanted to feel special.

• Options

LIBERAL ARTS MOTHAFUCKA

DRINK TILL IM SICK
    charging for lol erotica
    Nunu/Rumble.

• Options

LIBERAL ARTS MOTHAFUCKA

DRINK TILL IM SICK

Liberal Arts like a mothafucka!

• Options

It's not a matter of "individual dealing" but rather what the underlying condition causes.

A person doesn't get to choose between being a sociopath or twitching a lot during math class.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular

Is it...is it me??

:o3

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

Stop making up words.

Like dopaminergic, striatum, amygdala, difference, individual, deficiency, and sense.

szb_23_3_459_fig3a.gif

Here you go.

For reference, the amygdala is part of the lymbic system.

• Options

Stop making up words.

szb_23_3_459_fig3a.gif

Here you go.

For reference, the amygdala is part of the lymbic system.

Stop making up flow charts full of fake words you made in a thing that makes words.

• Options

It's not a matter of "individual dealing" but rather what the underlying condition causes.

A person doesn't get to choose between being a sociopath or twitching a lot during math class.

Well, actually, you CAN choose to twitch during math class if you wanted to.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I thought when I had to stop smoking weed I might get some attention span back but not so much

but really I can do things when I have to, I'm just lazy as fuck

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options

LIBERAL ARTS MOTHAFUCKA

DRINK TILL IM SICK

charging for lol erotica

Can I have 7 pages of lolrotica on my cock by 10AM tomorrow morning?

• Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    bastion sale, bastion sale~

buy a copy for your friends!

(the OST is also 60% off [wow what value!])

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Tarranon wrote: »

Yes, bastion is great. Get Bastion.

• Options

Oh, I agree 100%. I'm not supposing that how the individual deals with the deficiency is a decision they make.

• Options
    Tarranon wrote: »

Yes, bastion is great. Get Bastion.

AND the OST.

This discussion has been closed.