Options

Avengers have assembled! (pretty much just the Marvel movie thread now with some comics)

• Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I love the guy
    playing Galaga that Tony Stark calls out. Like the idea that you are in a futuristic helicarrier ready to save the world and some workers are still wasting time playing games and solitaire and such.

Did you see how big that bridge was? This wasn't the starship Enterprise bridge, where they only have a couple of key stations.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I think my only real issue with the movie was regarding Fury and SHIELD, in general.
    Fury didn't really seem like the bad ass super secret agent he's supposed to be. I mean, he walks around with a regular ol' pistol? Where are all the cool gadgets?

Nick Fury uses his MIND. He's like Batman if Batman was born and raised in the NSA. Resources everywhere, networks of people everywhere, contingencies everywhere.

Maybe in his younger days he was all out with the gadgets, but these days the world is his chessboard, and the game is never over.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I think my only real issue with the movie was regarding Fury and SHIELD, in general.
    Fury didn't really seem like the bad ass super secret agent he's supposed to be. I mean, he walks around with a regular ol' pistol? Where are all the cool gadgets?
    He's not a field agent anymore. Fury still proves extremely dangerous despite that. All he needs to shut down any local threats are his bare hands, pistol or bazooka.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I kind of felt the USS Impractical jumped the shark. Giant flying cloaking air craft carrier? Can we have flaming skeletons with dice for eyes doing dirt bike tricks on it while Slash plays a sweet solo on guitar? Get the 8-year-old boy out of the brainstorming meeting for my superhero movie please.

Are you under the impression that superheroes were not created specifically to appeal to eight year old boys? Where on Earth would you get that idea?

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    oh sweet, sweet helicarrier, how I love you

http://marvel.wikia.com/S.H.I.E.L.D._Helicarrier

531px-House_of_M_Vol_1_6_page_3_Helicarrier.jpg
    castle-in-the-sky.jpg
    tumblr_m3l2ohBRZa1r717gqo1_1280.jpg

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Hey, so Ultimate Spider-Man, the cartoon. Haven't watched it yet. How does it compare to Spectacular?

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Hey, so Ultimate Spider-Man, the cartoon. Haven't watched it yet. How does it compare to Spectacular?

Badly. Still amusing, though. All the episodes I've seen so far have featured Stan Lee as the janitor, confirming my Klondike hypothesis.

• Options
    Bagginses wrote: »

Badly. Still amusing, though. All the episodes I've seen so far have featured Stan Lee as the janitor, confirming my Klondike hypothesis.

:(

Spectacular Spider-Man was the best. Geeky Gwen Stacy was the greatest character ever.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »
    In regards to Agent Coulston:
    I thought we did see him die on-screen...he stopped mid-sentence, appeared to be stop breathing, and just had sort of a glazed look in his eyes, right before the medics arrived.

Misdirection.
    Really, at this point it can go either way. It was a very comic book-style death.
    He's dead. He not important enough to have a resurrection 'thing' in the next movie. I mean, c'mon, when Avengers 2 comes around who is going to give a shit if Agent Coulson returns?
    Uh... a lot of people would care. Coulson has a very big fanbase.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Saw the movie this weekend, my thoughts... [major spoilers]

First off, I thought the movie was well paced. I could actually note the beginnings and endings of the three acts and it didn't feel as jumbled, Like Iron Man 2, or lengthy, like The Dark Knight. I know there was some complaint about the first two acts from other reviews but I just didn't see it.

I appreciated the fact that Coulson was killed, even though I'm still not 100 percent sure he was, based on the conversation with agent Hill and Fury, and the fact that we never actually saw him die on screen. I still think it was a good moment and used to bring everyone together.

I went in not expecting much from Hawkeye and Black Widow, but I was pleasantly surprised at their use as characters and the story given to them. I felt there were two scenes, one where Hawkeye did his telescoping bow trick and one where Widow talked about red ledgers, that were repeated twice, for no real reason. I think that was just a minor editing problem though, so I can look past it. I think Renner was a good choice for Hawkeye and his arrow skills were well used in the film, as well as the possibility of him being as good a tactical leader as Cap, which is something they've noted in the comics previously. Widow, on the other hand, while a good fighter, did feel a little out of place, especially in the last battle, but she had her moment in the sun when she closed the cube portal so good for her.

I think two of the biggest character developments were Stark, off the bottle and in a stable relationship, understanding both the value of being a hero and teamwork. When the aliens invaded at the end, he was the first one to suit up and take them on, showing he was a true hero. He was also willing to make the "big sacrifice" that Cap alluded to earlier in the movie and he was good with working as team later on.

My only minor complaint with character development is that we didn't get to see any real moments of Cap adjusting to the new world. Every other character got a little exposition, and cap was just essentially flung from one World War to another with no real pause thanks to the magic of being frozen on ice. I can look past it because not much time changed from Cap to Avengers so understandably he probably just spent most of his time alone trying to figure out what his place was.

Banner, and the Hulk, definitely stole the show. Penn and Whedon did a FANTASTIC job writing them, and I'm glad Ruffalo worked so well in the role. I'm looking forward to seeing him in his own movie. I loved his scenes with Thor, you can tell those two have a chemistry on screen.

Personally I'm a little pissed that they're going to follow this up with Thanos. We just finished a giant alien invasion, and we're going to follow it up with a giant Alien invasion/battle. I did appreciate the easter egg of "you must court Death" which no one except the comic fans really got.

Having said that, there was one more Easter egg most people missed. The last scene of the film, before Stark is rebuilding what will be Avengers mansion, there's Fury, looking to his screens, and the last news segment, which they feature for about 10 seconds, is a senator calling for accountability from these heroes that just destroyed most of Manhattan while saving the Earth. To me that shows the possible future of the Superhuman Registration Act and the Civil War, especially because of Cap's anger toward SHIELD weapons development with HYDRA technology from WW2.

I think that would make a MUCH better sequel than Thanos, but I'll enjoy both of them.

Overall, it was a solid 9/10 for me. It delivered everything I was hoping it would, a few moments I could have done without (like the goofy closing shot of all the Avengers staring at Loki while he asks for a drink) and set up the rules for the Movie Marvel Universe nicely. Whedon did a great job. It showed that super hero movie doesn't have to be Dark or Brooding to make a buck, it can be uplifting and give the audience hope.

I did notice a lot of Whedon's one liners and in jokes during the film, like Thor pointing out that Loki was adopted, Stark calling Thor "point break", and some other great jokes that were lost because they followed fantastic scenes and the audience cheered through the dialogue.

The second end credits scene was a nice kind of "why are you still here!?" nod to the audience who stuck out the end credits, and I appreciated it.

Only real gripe was the product placement for those Magnetic wrist bands that cost $300 a piece that Stark wore to call the Mark 7 armor, but I can overlook that because A) FUCKING MARK 7 ARMOR that can now be called remotely, no more absurd rube goldberg armor removal bullshit, even if it is pretty, and B) Those wristbands will be gone in IM3 when they move to Extremis and nanotech...

Can't wait for Iron Man 3 next!

Ok your one "Gripe" is really silly. I swear people are seeing product placement everywhere these days. Even if they are actually using a real product there do you know who noticed?

You.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    In all fairness to Marvel they're going to look after RDJ and keep him happy. Thankfully he's not a huge asshole and seems to work well with the rest of the cast, but Iron Man, or more importantly the financial success thereof, is what made Marvel Studios a possibility and not a failed effort. It's also (I'm guessing) what helped seal the deal they had going with Disney and make it official.

Iron Man has appeared in three of the last five Marvel Studios films (He wasn't in Thor or Cap, although the Stark name was very important to Cap) and has helped build the franchise from the ground up.

Honestly, the first half hour or so of the movie almost was Iron Man and Friends. He had a lot of screen time, and for that matter Pepper was the only tertiary character from all Marvel movies that got the comeback role. They alluded to Natalie Portman in a photo, but there was no mention of any of Cap's current relations, or anyone from previous Hulk films.

Not quite. Selvig was a similar level character in Thor, and he both played a more integral role in The Avengers than Pepper and ended up with more screen time.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    i didn't notice that until it was mentioned in the credits. I just assumed that
    they where random tech designed specifically for the suit missile's little lock lasers to guide to.

It didn't take me or anyone else around me out of the movie.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    So another awesome line that gets drowned out during a Hulk battle.
    When the not!F-35 is shooting at the Hulk to get his attention and gets it.

Pilot: "Target locked. Firing.

Target Angry!
    TARGET VERY ANGRY!"

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    So another awesome line that gets drowned out during a Hulk battle.
    When the not!F-35 is shooting at the Hulk to get his attention and gets it.

Pilot: "Target locked. Firing.

Target Angry!
    TARGET VERY ANGRY!"
    I got that. It was great.

• Options
    Okay, I'm reading episode summaries for Ultimate Spider-Man.
    After experiencing their very first training session together, Spider-Man and his team go through S.H.I.E.L.D.'s database of the most wanted supervillains to see who they can defeat and apprehend in order to impress Nick Fury. When the choices for Batroc the Leaper, Blizzard, Melter, MODOK, Toad, Whirlwind, and Lady Porcupine prove unpopular, Spider-Man and his team go to Latveria to track down Doctor Doom.

What... the... fuck?

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    After experiencing their very first training session together, Spider-Man and his team go through S.H.I.E.L.D.'s database of the most wanted supervillains to see who they can defeat and apprehend in order to impress Nick Fury. When the choices for Batroc the Leaper, Blizzard, Melter, MODOK, Toad, Whirlwind, and Lady Porcupine prove unpopular, Spider-Man and his team go to Latveria to track down Doctor Doom.

What... the... fuck?

Apparently Ultimate Spider-Man and his team ate plenty of lead paint as children, either that or they want to die as quickly possible.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    armageddonboundarmageddonbound Registered User regular
    As a comic fan, I'm pleased as shit that Thanos is the next villain. I have been tired, for a very long time, of super hero movies with boring political/terrestrial threats. I want magic, aliens, super high tech crap, mythos, and aliens. I don't want mutant, er I mean super hero registration. I don't want a lex luthor enemy, who, if you are really lucky, might make a robot for the heroes to hit a couple of times. I wan't epic earth ending threats, and I glad as shit that Weadon understands this.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

What... the... fuck?

Doom uses their pitiful attack to infiltrate a doombot into the helicarrier.

...Yeah, that doesn't help, does it?

• Options

What... the... fuck?

Doom uses their pitiful attack to infiltrate a doombot into the helicarrier.

...Yeah, that doesn't help, does it?

You know what would make Spider-Man awesome? By making his character as impossible to relate to as humanly impossible.

• Options
    It has been a long time since Loeb knew what he was doing.

Maybe when he brings Marvel animation to its knees they'll stop promoting him.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjVXXMFjYvg

5:30 in. One of my favorite scenes.

Based on the episode guide, is Ultimate Spider-Man trying to be Hogwarts with superheroes or something?

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    Matrias wrote: »
    He did Eternals, too? Man, Jack Kirby went back to the space-gods-well one too many times.

Maybe two-too-many times.

To be fair, space gods are awesome.
    My heart only has room for Asgard. Sorry New Gods, Eternals.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    Finally saw this today, and I definitely give it a firm thumbs up. I was tremendously pleased with the pacing, character dialogue, and of course the effects were top notch.

Regarding the first ending trailer bit.
    Oh man, Thanos as the next villain? I haven't been this excited about a follow up since the end of Xmen 2 when they hinted at the dark phoenix. Naturally my fingers are crossed that they keep the movie in Whedon's hands and it doesn't get screwed up like what Brett Ratner did with Xmen 3.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I learned that the only thing that can upstage the Tony Stark Show: Starring Tony Stark are Hulk Sight Gags.

I kind of felt the USS Impractical jumped the shark. Giant flying cloaking air craft carrier? Can we have flaming skeletons with dice for eyes doing dirt bike tricks on it while Slash plays a sweet solo on guitar? Get the 8-year-old boy out of the brainstorming meeting for my superhero movie please.

You are not allowed to brain storm for movies. Ever.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I miss that show. :(

I tried watching an episode of Ultimate Spider-Man. It was just too much for me. It was the episode with Taskmaster. I just....no.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I learned that the only thing that can upstage the Tony Stark Show: Starring Tony Stark are Hulk Sight Gags.

You are not allowed to brain storm for movies. Ever.

I mean, completely disregarding it's established canon, was done superbly, and visually looked amazing, as well as actually feeling like a proper HQ...

It is still a fucking cool idea.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2012
    I thought we did see him die on-screen...he stopped mid-sentence, appeared to be stop breathing, and just had sort of a glazed look in his eyes, right before the medics arrived.

Misdirection.
    Really, at this point it can go either way. It was a very comic book-style death.
    He's dead. He not important enough to have a resurrection 'thing' in the next movie. I mean, c'mon, when Avengers 2 comes around who is going to give a shit if Agent Coulson returns?

I sincerely doubt this.
    Very big fan base? Cite plz.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Ok were having a spoiler argument that I want everyone to get in on. This is not a spoiler.

How much do people like Coulson?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Count me in the "REALLY Like Coulson" group. My wife as well.

Ketar on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Everyone fucking loves Coulson.

• Options

Misdirection.

I sincerely doubt this.
    Very big fan base? Cite plz.

Starting off though Coulson hosted the Avengers marathon they did for the release. They've released a bunch of shorts of just him and they just added him to the comics cast. Why do you think they did that?
    In the other PA discussion thread Coulson's death was spoiled early and people freaked. Fuck you Whedon was heard many a time.

That's why they killed him in the first place. His death was meant to provoke a reaction.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    it's even better when you've actually been following that conversation in spoilers up till now.

I'm gonna mirror the "Everyone fucking loves Coulson" statement though.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Coulson has been one of the most consistently entertaining parts of every Avengers movie to date (except Cap and Hulk, obviously, in which he doesn't appear)

He got two short films of his own

He's been introduced into the 616 universe

He was featured prominently in the stinger for Iron Man 2 stinger for Thor as well as its first trailer, as his mere presence lets the audience that's "in the know" know that "this has something to do with the Avengers"

To me he has become just as much a face of this particular series (on film) as Iron Man, Cap, Thor, Hulk or Fury have.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Coulson is great. His first name is Agent, btw. And everyone I've talked to who has seen him in ANY of the Marvel movies agrees that he is a great addition to the cast.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The thing you have to remember is that this movie made $200 million on opening weekend

It didn't make that solely from comic book nerds

Superhero films have gone well above and beyond the niche, and it's a solid guarantee that most of the audiences have never picked up a comic book in their lives

I've never read comics myself, outside of one-shots and limited series like Watchmen and Y: The Last Men. The only ongoing I've ever read is the new TMNT. I knew all about, say, Captain America's story through cultural osmosis, but my own exposure to the character was pretty limited.

So to someone like me, and the many, many others who follow these films as a film series rather than a supplement to comic book fiction? Agent Coulson is a more familiar character to me by this point than either Thor or Captain America (who both received their first real films after Coulson had been an entertaining character in Iron Man 1 and 2), and certainly more than Black Widow and Hawkeye, one of which had a bit (and pretty lame) part in Iron Man 2 and the other one had about a minute of screen time in Thor.

Think about that.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I love Coulson.

I re-watched Iron Man to get ready for Avengers, and seeing that first scene with him NOW, where he approaches Pepper, and gives his department name BEFORE they shorten it to SHIELD, is just awesome.

It also doesn't hurt that Clark Gregg, in every single interview or anything I've seen, is a fantastic human being.

I mean, in this first ever meeting of the Avengers, from Comic Con, when Whedon was announced and they epically brought everyone on stage together, look right next to Downey, Jr. - he's on the main team as much as anyone.

e65367d1d1e358581bd6e1a90cdfa88d.jpg

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I like to think that RDJ is pointing to a random nerd and is ordering a Manhattan.

• Options
    That's the first time its really clicked for me just how many semi-main characters there are.

And Loki isn't even up there.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    the_Frollothe_Frollo Riiiiiight.... THERE.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I fucking love Coulson.
    PAIN SPOILER
    (we're STILL spoiling that, apparently?) and a holy war of retribution in his name against the whole fucking multiverse would be an appropriate, reasonable response to his death, in my humble opinion.

Unless the rumors about his demise ARE exaggerated, as many have suggested.
    The idea that he might come back somehow, or actually be still alive titillates my brain in all the right places. Would be very comic-y and very Whedon-y.

the_Frollo on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    FROLLO SPOILER THAT.

We're just discussing if Coulson is considered part of the main group - if he has a following of his own. NOT anything that has to do with the movie.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
This discussion has been closed.