Options

Avengers have assembled! (pretty much just the Marvel movie thread now with some comics)

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Spoil that, Frollo

The movie has literally been out only three days

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    If you'll read this thread over again you will notice that nobody has mentioned that.

Spoiler that please.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    while being a bad guy he suffers a significant aim penalty, like all bad guys

plot armor has a very high AC

+5 to all damage rolls, but -10 to hit.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    I learned that the only thing that can upstage the Tony Stark Show: Starring Tony Stark are Hulk Sight Gags.

I kind of felt the USS Impractical jumped the shark. Giant flying cloaking air craft carrier? Can we have flaming skeletons with dice for eyes doing dirt bike tricks on it while Slash plays a sweet solo on guitar? Get the 8-year-old boy out of the brainstorming meeting for my superhero movie please.

You are not allowed to brain storm for movies. Ever.

I mean, completely disregarding it's established canon, was done superbly, and visually looked amazing, as well as actually feeling like a proper HQ...

It is still a fucking cool idea.

This.

I saw this with a couple of friends, one of which doesn't do the whole exclimation thing in movies. Like, ever.

I mean I've watched well over a hundred movies with her and aside from laughter this is not someone who makes noise during movie watching time... well, ok, I've heard sniffles.

Anyways point being this is not a person who says things like "holy... fucking... shit" during a film under any circumstances.

'Cept in Avengers when that things cloaks it turns out :P

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Guys? Maybe add an @the_Frollo in there?

• Options
    the_Frollothe_Frollo Riiiiiight.... THERE.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    cough cough sorry, misread some stuff there.
    Still, holy war imho.

the_Frollo on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    You guys could always use the report button like I did.

• Options
    jeez. :)

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Eh I don't care that much about Coulson.

I mean he's cool and all, but as a character he's a little too much of a cipher. His main purpose in the various films seems to be to prod the narrative along at times when it doesn't have anywhere natural to go.
    in avengers, explicitly so

He gets a lot of good lines, which is okay because he delivers them well, but in general I don't think
    him being gone in future films

is really a big deal.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Cipher? As in its tough to understand the character?

Because I don't agree about that.

Coulson is a guy doing a job. He believes in the cause and heroes and all that, he really truly does, but at the end of the day it's a job for him. Which is what everybody love about him. He takes the world around him with such a charming calm. Fury bellows and plans and creates big dramatic moments. Coulson is on the sidelines getting shit done.

There was a quote from someone in production(Might even have been Clark Greg) that compared Coulson to the behind the scenes guys in concerts which was really apt.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    What happened to Coulson is just a continuation of what happens when Joss Whedon figures out which characters I like in stuff he makes.

Firefly spoiler
    Losing Wash
    was awful, but why did you have to take Coulson

Etchwarts on
  • Options
    Man how can people
    still be complaining about Wash? He died like 20 minutes before it ended!

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Man how can people
    I'm just still in mourning.

It was so quick!

And, and, he was a leaf on the wind and stuff!

(Also keep in mind I watched this for the first time ever last summer.

• Options
    Man how can people

It was so quick!

Yeah but even if
    Wash survived it would still be the last time you see him. I mean I get the emotional connection and it sucks that he died but its not like you'll miss him in the sequel.

Uh I'm sorry I'm probably coming off as a jerk.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Man how can people

It was so quick!

Yeah but even if
    Wash survived it would still be the last time you see him. I mean I get the emotional connection and it sucks that he died but its not like you'll miss him in the sequel.

Uh I'm sorry I'm probably coming off as a jerk.

Oh, no, it's fine.

I'm assuming you're referring to people actually complaining about it, in the meta-sense of "Oh, it was stupid that it happened and Joss Whedon is an idiot". I don't think any of those things. He just knew how to get at me.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2012
    Spoilers for Avengers and now Firefly apparently.
    Regarding Firefly, why would he kill the people you don't care about at all? What narrative purpose would that serve?

EDIT: It seems like you see that's what he was doing.

For the Avengers death, well sure it's sad that Coulson dies, but Whedon uses him because he's just about the only character that has any kind of recognition with the audience that doesn't also have their own movie deal. "We need to kill somebody to bring the Avengers together but it can't be anyone really important" and then everyone looks at Clark Gregg.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    Spoilers for Avengers and now Firefly apparently.
    Regarding Firefly, why would he kill the people you don't care about at all? What narrative purpose would that serve?

EDIT: It seems like you see that's what he was doing.

For the Avengers death, well sure it's sad that Coulson dies, but Whedon uses him because he's just about the only character that has any kind of recognition with the audience that doesn't also have their own movie deal. "We need to kill somebody to bring the Avengers together but it can't be anyone really important" and then everyone looks at Clark Gregg.
    Yeah, when I heard there was a death Coulson was the first one on my mind. He's in that sweet spot you were talking about.

And yeah, I get that's why he did it.

BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE THE TEARS STOP.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Cipher? As in its tough to understand the character?

Because I don't agree about that.

Coulson is a guy doing a job. He believes in the cause and heroes and all that, he really truly does, but at the end of the day it's a job for him. Which is what everybody love about him. He takes the world around him with such a charming calm. Fury bellows and plans and creates big dramatic moments. Coulson is on the sidelines getting shit done.

There was a quote from someone in production(Might even have been Clark Greg) that compared Coulson to the behind the scenes guys in concerts which was really apt.

no, cipher as in a null value; he doesn't add anything.

behind-the-scenes-guy-at-a-concert is exactly his role. You know who you never see at a concert? The guy running the lights.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    Coulson adds plenty. Whether you like it or not is a different matter.

• Options
    But what makes him great is he brings that same attitude to debriefing Gods and Keeping multi-billionaire's from leaving the premises so he'll work on creating an element from scratch that when added to the perpetual energy machine in his chest will save his life.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    HOLY WAR OF RETRIBUTION ON THE MULTIVERSE

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Henroid wrote: »
    Coulson adds plenty. Whether you like it or not is a different matter.

I haven't seen Iron Man II, so maybe he has a lot to do in that, but aside from his upped screentime and better dialogue in the Avengers he's pretty much just been the guy who gives SHIELD a human face. He pops up, provides some exposition and is in command of the guys who all get beat up by the bad guy until the hero shows up or whatever, and he provides some continuity between movies. I like him well enough, but in terms of importance to the films he's in he's well down the ladder. He's Christine Chapel, not Pavel Chekov.

• Options
    He's characterized essentially not at all, aside from very briefly in avengers, where he collects captain america cards and apparently has a recent ex-ladyfriend who moved back to portland.

In the previous movies he doesn't do much aside from 1) provide continuity between films by being the 'face' of SHIELD and 2) provide a sounding board for tony stark and thor to get their exposition on.

Look I mean, Clark Gregg is a cool dude who gets just about the maximum possible amount of play out of the material that's there, but it's not as though there's a lot there.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    she played cello.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I saw the firefly movie and then the series much later so knowing what happened to them really did not help as they joined up

I really viewed Coulson as the face for Shield to deal so he is the one to deal with Ironman, Thor and others so if it is not really going to work out in the best interest for them they will know without really exposing themselves.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I liked Coulson since Iron Man 2 where he had great dialog. "If you try to escape, or play any sort of games with me, I will taze you and watch "Supernanny" while you drool into the carpet." is forever a line that will make me smile.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Especially since in that movie, Coulson kind of is the Supernanny, babysitting Stark.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular

The Stormtrooper Effect.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    ''

The Stormtrooper Effect.

Da Orkz Effek?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Everyone fucking loves Coulson.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I love Coulson.

I re-watched Iron Man to get ready for Avengers, and seeing that first scene with him NOW, where he approaches Pepper, and gives his department name BEFORE they shorten it to SHIELD, is just awesome.

It also doesn't hurt that Clark Gregg, in every single interview or anything I've seen, is a fantastic human being.

I mean, in this first ever meeting of the Avengers, from Comic Con, when Whedon was announced and they epically brought everyone on stage together, look right next to Downey, Jr. - he's on the main team as much as anyone.

e65367d1d1e358581bd6e1a90cdfa88d.jpg

To be fair if I was standing that close to Robert Dow er Scarlett Johansson I'd be grinning like a nut too.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    The problem with Coulson is that his writing has been inconsistent. In Iron Man, he's an annoying, persistent bureaucrat. In IM2, he's still mostly the same, but with some extra social awkwardness and that one bad-ass line. In Thor, he's more of a G-Man thug, running over everyone with that smug agent smirk.

So, which is he? The socially awkward paper pusher or the minor-villain government thug?

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    he's whatever Fury needs him to be

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    The problem with Coulson is that his writing has been inconsistent. In Iron Man, he's an annoying, persistent bureaucrat. In IM2, he's still mostly the same, but with some extra social awkwardness and that one bad-ass line. In Thor, he's more of a G-Man thug, running over everyone with that smug agent smirk.

So, which is he? The socially awkward paper pusher or the minor-villain government thug?

He seems like inept agent, but he's where he is because hes good. He acts how he needs to act for the situation he is in. We probably got to see an inside view for the first time when he nerds out over Captain America. CA is probably why he does what he does.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Seeing Avengers on Thursday and have managed to resist all spoiler tags in this thread, but wanted to contribute my love for Coulson.

He's just so unassuming yet deals with all the insanity like it's just a regular day at work - which for him it is. You get the feeling that despite his appearance, he probably could kick loads of ass if he needed to. I love him.

Also, he got one of the biggest cheers in Iron Man 1 when I saw it, more than any one Stark lines I can remember.

"Just call us SHEILD"

Audience ROARED, man. The after credits sequence was great but that was when you knew Marvel wasn't screwing around and Avengers could be an actual thing.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Spoilers for Thor & Iron Man films
    He's not inconsistent to me. Coulson's a friendly middle manager who keeps an eye on super-heroes. You have to remember he'd the 'straight man" interacting with Tony. Sometimes he has to put his foot down to keep Stark on track. In Thor he had to keep everything involved with Mjolnir secret from the public, it's unfortunate that he had to take Foster's equipment but I can understand why even if it's a dick move. He's hard on Thor at first since he has no intel on him, "Donald Blake" a security risk taking down his agents and trying to steal Mjolnir. Any competent government agent in his position would have done the same thing IMO. A common theme with Coulson is that he's usually in over his head dealing with super-hero situations, yet does his utmost to protect the public from threats.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

I had assumed he was more of a chameleon, then any specific role. He changes his personality to fit his environments. He takes the persona that best allows him to accomplish his goals.
    In Thor, he plays a G-man MIB thug because he's dealing with a small podunk town and a handful of scientists. Walking in and taking what he needs is the quickest, most efficient way to get his job done. Some people will talk about it, but who's going to believe Redneck Joe from nowhere, New Mexico?
    In Iron Man, he's dealing with a huge corporation and also one of America's premiere weapon developers. They've got lawyers, armed security, cameras everywhere... Going all G-man in that case isn't going to get him anywhere and will likely expose SHIELD to the world, so he plays the paper pushing bureaucrat. He gets his appointment, rides Pepper about the appointment, tries to sneak in next to Tony before the appointment...

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular

I took all of that as his comfort level and need to keep the Avengers Initiative a secret changing as the people around him and the reality of the project grew.

In Iron Man 1, he can't let on at all what he and Fury are working towards. So he plays the government nerd to get close and try and figure out what's up. I imagine Fury showing up at the end of Iron Man 1 is only because of what Coulson found out. In Iron Man 2, he can't suddenly be badass - Black Widow is in there, they can't let on what's up, but he can use a little more force now that the ball is rolling.

And when you see him in Thor, he's alone, and running that operation.

His whole job was to headhunt that team. And in one of the shorts, you see him kick major ass.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I loved his one line "Nobody tells me anything"

• Options
    centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular
    I don't know whether to post this here or in the SE++ thread...
    Imagine if The Avengers was changed to make Coulson the main character. It starts out with his girlfriend moving away and follows him as he gets to work with his idol: Captain America. He doesn’t die and the movie continues on focusing on him during the major action sequence towards the end. He even plays some major role in stopping the invasion, like maybe he runs up Stark Tower and grabs the scepter and shuts down the machine. Now imagine he’s played by Shia LaBeouf. Pepper the movie with bad humor and make all the action sequences zoomed in and shaky.
    And that’s The Avengers by Michael Bay.

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
This discussion has been closed.