As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

(500) Days of Spidey

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    I agree with film crit hulk that the movie does not really have a plot

but they are kinda obsessed with Peter Parker, a high school student, having to act mature for some reason?

The idea being that a hero is supposed to be better than us, and that the whole thing is a coming of age story.

Which I agree with, but the story isn't over yet and he still has some more age to come to, though I can see why a film critic would look at the movie as a single entity as opposed to something larger.

• Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    i can see why anyone would look at a movie as a single entity

because they are

• Options
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    i can see why anyone would look at a movie as a single entity

because they are

If they are part of a series, they are also something more than a single entity, they are part of a larger whole.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »
    Usually comedy actors can do drama really well though, as the old saying goes they're two sides of the same coin. I mean Jim Carey did well in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind plus Adam Sandler and Will Ferrell surprised me both with Reign Over Me and Stranger Than Fiction respectively.
    Hitchcock was big on hiring comedic actors because comedy is harder to do well than drama; so if an actor is talented enough to do comedy well, then it's usually easier to get a dramatic performance out of them.

Dunno how applicable that is in the real world; just passing on the message from a dead man.

EDIT: Hey look, something Spider-Man related
    spider-lego.jpg

WAAAAAANT

Here's an amazing thought I had.

-Lego has the license to make building toys from Marvel properties, including upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe movies
    -Marvel is strongly rumored to be making a Guardians of the Galaxy movie for 2014
    -We will likely see Lego sets including Rocket Raccoon and Groot.

Shame we have to wait like two years to see them, though.

• Options
    Rocket Raccoon you say.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    That's a cop out thing to say though.

That was a really shitty two hours of my time!

Just invest another four hours and it'll be ok!

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »

But it wasn't shitty at all

it just had some incomplete character arcs.

I'm saying I'm okay with that, and if we know up front that a film is part of a series, I'm not sure that the character arc should necessarily be as complete anyway, because, especially as in the case of Mr. Parker, it makes the second time 'round ring less true.

Basically you can't have your cake and eat it too. Either you do the coming of age in a single flick, or one of your two films is going to suffer. And I dunno what Green Goblin + Gwen Stacey + Brooklyn Bridge is other than coming of age.

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I don't know how i feel about this movie. I really liked some parts but others it was like 'meh'
    Jars wrote: »
    I'm kind of upset about this movie. they had spider-man, and it was good, then some suits ruined it while still making a bundle and that was fine because they can always reboot it.

would it have been that hard to make the last scene of spider man 3 be eddy brock in the church? no

1. The first two Spider-man movies are not very good.

2. If it had ended there then Spider-man 3 would have still been a terrible movie that would scare anyone from watching 4.

The first two are super fun and campy with fantastic antagonists (green goblin's suit is still dumb though)

See when I think fun I think jokes and levity and those movies are the opposite of that.

They are dry, campy and dry. And I posit that while the actors for both villains are fantastic both are written dumbly. One has absolutely no plan whatsoever and spends the entire movie trying to make the protagonist miserable for no reason and the other involves a sentient A.I. that takes over his head and makes him create a machine that will destroy the world(or New York, I forget).

Man was the Lizard any better?

I liked the antagonists in the other films way more than the Lizard in this.

NeoToma on
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I'm kind of upset about this movie. they had spider-man, and it was good, then some suits ruined it while still making a bundle and that was fine because they can always reboot it.

would it have been that hard to make the last scene of spider man 3 be eddy brock in the church? no

1. The first two Spider-man movies are not very good.

2. If it had ended there then Spider-man 3 would have still been a terrible movie that would scare anyone from watching 4.

The first two are super fun and campy with fantastic antagonists (green goblin's suit is still dumb though)

See when I think fun I think jokes and levity and those movies are the opposite of that.

They are dry, campy and dry. And I posit that while the actors for both villains are fantastic both are written dumbly. One has absolutely no plan whatsoever and spends the entire movie trying to make the protagonist miserable for no reason and the other involves a sentient A.I. that takes over his head and makes him create a machine that will destroy the world(or New York, I forget).

Yes, exactly. Film crit Hulk talks about people betraying the Raimi movies all of a sudden, and I'm over here going, "wait, when the fuck did people decided they liked those pieces of shit?"

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

I don't see why that's applicable to this movie.

Cause it was awesome

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

I don't see why that's applicable to this movie.

Cause it was awesome

See, this guy gets it.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Nah.

It wasn't a waste of my time, but it wasn't say, amazing or anything.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Like just as a flat out portrayal of Spider-man it's great. It covers all the important stuff and the actors have pretty good chemistry.

I'm willing to forgive minor flaws especially since it seems like the original plot of the movie was wildly different and there were a ton of last minute cuts.

• Options
    Zachery Levi has confirmed he'll play Fandral in Thor 2. Not a bad choice: I always liked him in Chuck.

Also, I'm tired of trying to find trades on the cheap so I'm just going to go with Comixology. I want to get my Guardians of the Galaxy on, so I'm going to try to pick up the two annihilation series and then the GotG ongoing. Anything else I should grab? (Even if it's not GotG related)

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Yes.

Atomic Robo. All of it.

Also Bulletproof Coffin.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Still would have liked Levi to play Superman

Before they decided to go all dark and make Snyder the director, anyway

Now they can go with Cavill or whoever, who gives a shit

• Options
    Nah.

It wasn't a waste of my time, but it wasn't say, amazing or anything.

I'm seein' what you did there.

In any event, the thrust of my argument is that the problems are definitely there, but I don't think they're as disasterous as FCH makes them out to be, and it may have been something they did for the sake of a more cohesive trilogy.

Time will tell.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Zachery Levi has confirmed he'll play Fandral in Thor 2. Not a bad choice: I always liked him in Chuck.

Also, I'm tired of trying to find trades on the cheap so I'm just going to go with Comixology. I want to get my Guardians of the Galaxy on, so I'm going to try to pick up the two annihilation series and then the GotG ongoing. Anything else I should grab? (Even if it's not GotG related)

are you reading Wolverine and the X-Men yet

how about Daredevil

• Options

did you see the new press release? Clark hates his powers and feels isolated by them apparently. Basically the premise of smallville

Yeah.

There's no way that movie is gonna be any good. I'm sure Lex will be the fucking villain again too.

• Options
    I wouldn't mind Lex Luthor being the villain in a Superman movie if they would do super-interesting Lex rather than Scooby Doo villain Lex.

• Options
    Nah, it's Zod this time. Because everyone loved Superman II so much.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Nah.

Levi isn't fatherly enough. He's good at nice and man of the people and could do good with Clark Kent, but Superman has to be, on some level, your dad, the idealized one out of Norman Rockwell paintings.

I mean, it's not like he takes on that authority. It's important that he doesn't, that he treats himself like anyone else, but that makes the built in authority matter more. Superman is a man you hate to disappoint, not in a kicked puppy way, but because you look at him and you know you could do better. Be better.

Not because he's better than you, even. (Supes'd like you to forget that, if he thinks of it at all.) But because he reminds you of all the wrong you did that you could avoid, all the good you could do and you missed, and more than that, much more, how wonderful it felt when you did the right thing, or how it could feel, and how it could all turn around today.

Levi feels more like he's in the same place as you. Which is good for a lot of things, but not for Superman.

• Options

did you see the new press release? Clark hates his powers and feels isolated by them apparently. Basically the premise of smallville

Yeah.

(I like Smallville please don't hit me)

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Okay, I'm completely confused on what I'm supposed to be buying for the annihilation series. Looking at the wikipedia page, I should be grabbing

Annihilation ($45, missing two mini-series and 1 one shot)
    -The Drax the Destroyer miniseries (not available on Comixology)
    -Annihilation Prologue (Including in Annihilation Book 1 for $9)
    -Annihilation: Nova (Also in Book 1)
    -Annihilation: Ronan ($8 for individual issues)
    -Annihilation: Silver Surfer ($8 for individual issues)
    -Annihilation: Super-Skrull ($8 for individual issues)
    -Annihilation: The Nova Corps Files (Not on Comixology)
    -Annihilation ($12 for individual issues)
    -Annihilation: Heralds Of Galactus (Not on Comixology)

Annihilation: Conquest ($51, missing 1 one-shot)
    -Annihilation: Conquest - Prologue ($2)
    -Annihilation: Conquest - Quasar ($8 for individual issues)
    -Annihilation: Conquest - Starlord ($8 for individual issues)
    -Annihilation: Saga (Not on Comixology)
    -Annihilation: Conquest - Wraith ($8 for individual issues)
    -Nova Vol. 1: Annihilation - Conquest ($13)
    -Annihilation: Conquest ($12 for individual issues)

Man, I can see why the trades are so expensive on the secondary market now :P

EDIT: And for the record, I have no real comics to speak of. (I mean, I have the complete Gears of War series, most of the Farscape series, a bunch of older IDW Transformers trades, and a few odds and ends like Watchmen, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen 1 and 2 and a couple of other inconsequential things) All of these are in trade format.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options

Yeah.

(I like Smallville please don't hit me)

Listen the premise works for teenage supes and for about one season.

After that no. Dude is an adult he has come to terms with this shit and has decided to help people.

• Options
    To be fair, that's pretty much what happens from season two on (when he meets Christopher Reeve)

Unless you're talking about how it won't work in a movie in which he's already Superman, to which point, yes, I agree

• Options
    Nah, it's Zod this time. Because everyone loved Superman II so much.

I want to foam at the mouth over the Richard Donner cut and how awesome it is, but the last time I talked about Superman I feel I did enough of this, so I'll just say that I feel like Zod could be pretty rad.

• Options
    Zod seems kinda boring to me.. Like..

Coming Summer 2013: Superman's WILL FIGHT.... a guy with exactly the same set of powers as him.

I would have rather seen Metallo or Parasite.

• Options
    @Undead Scottsman Yeah, you might just want to hold off for a bit on Annihilation. Marvel's going to be pushing the cosmic stuff in a big way later this year, which will probably mean reprinting the trades and making sure everything is up on Comixology.

In the mean time, here's ten awesome things you should read:

Daredevil by Mark Waid (currently ongoing)
    http://www.comixology.com/Daredevil-Vol-3/comics-series/6209

Fantastic Four by Jonathan Hickman (currently ongoing)
    start here: http://www.comixology.com/Fantastic-Four-570/digital-comic/JUN090532

Ghost Rider by Jason Aaron
    start here: http://www.comixology.com/Ghost-Rider-Vol-6-20/digital-comic/DEC072183

Immortal Iron Fist by Ed Brubaker and Matt Fraction
    http://www.comixology.com/Immortal-Iron-Fist/comics-series/917

Justice League of America by Grant Morrison
    http://www.comixology.com/JLA-1997-2006/comics-series/2665

Planetary by Warren Ellis
    http://www.comixology.com/Planetary/comics-series/334

Sandman by Neil Gaiman
    http://www.comixology.com/Sandman/comics-series/349

Ultimate Spider-Man by Brian Michael Bendis
    http://www.comixology.com/Ultimate-Spider-Man/comics-series/1094

All-Star Superman by Grant Morrison
    http://www.comixology.com/All-Star-Superman/comics-series/163

Swamp Thing by Alan Moore
    start here: http://www.comixology.com/Swamp-Thing-1982-1996-20/digital-comic/AUG010276

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Man.. I don't wanna wait :( Ah well..

Probably time to catch up on the Ultimate Universe. I forgot to mention I had a Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited subscription awhile back and pretty much read everything up to a little bit past the Ultimate Comics rebranding.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Zod seems kinda boring to me.. Like..

Coming Summer 2013: Superman's WILL FIGHT.... a guy with exactly the same set of powers as him.

I would have rather seen Metallo or Parasite.

It is kind of boring on paper

but it means that dudes are tossing around mountain tops and semis and shit, which has some bubblegum action to it.

Plus there are a bunch of fun parallels that you can draw between the two characters, two sides of the same coin, etc.

I mean, you run into similar problems with parasite, because all he does is absorb Superman's powers and use them on him

but yeah, I see what you're getting at, and I totally think there's space for a lot more Superman villains

I just don't really have a problem with them going back to Zod.

Edit: It also ideally would force one of two things: Superman to outwit his opponent

or show how much more creative he is with using his powers... which I guess is really the same thing when you think about it.

sarukun on
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    Man.. I don't wanna wait :( Ah well..

Probably time to catch up on the Ultimate Universe.

I am in the same boat regarding the Annihilation cosmic stuff and would like to do this but the Ultimate Spidey trades and hardcovers are also hard-to-find and have jacked prices when you can!

what is the DEAL marvel

also I don't have comixology because I don't have a good thing to read them on

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    honestly, except for Lex Luthor, Superman's villains aren't that memorable

but it would be neat to see him punch a giant robot at least once in live action

• Options
    I will never have a problem with Superman wrecking things that are large and made of metal or rock.

If you put that in a Superman movie, you are already halfway done as far as I'm concerned.

I am rarely disappointed by films.

• Options
    honestly, except for Lex Luthor, Superman's villains aren't that memorable

but it would be neat to see him punch a giant robot at least once in live action

I dunno, Brainiac is all kinds of memorable. Especially when they tie him in with Krypton.

• Options
    My ideal reboot focuses on Metallo.

John Corben is an older man and runs metropolis much like Lex eventually will. Lex not quit a mogul yet is attempting a hostile takeover and poisons Corben with a rare virus or something. Corben who was dying of cancer anyway has been working on a robot body made of a new alloy called Metallo and just needs a power source.

Which is of course kryptonite.

Anyway things go awry Corben goes mad attacks Lex and Superman has to stop him.

On the Clark side I'd have him be established as superman for about two years now. Maybe have him stop a bank robbery in the opening then fast forward two years. His relation ship to Lois and Lex would be the focus( one going south due to his constant criticism of Lexcorps activities and the other a game of cat and mouse because Lois isn't an idiot and pretty much knows he's superman)

The sequel sting would be Lex finding the metallo schematics in his newly aqquired empire and saying they'd be perfect as a powered armor. Maybe a hint at Bizarro or doomsday saying they found some of super man's blood.

Basically fuck the origin everyone knows it. Get him to the cape right away and have a villian that makes an interesting fight.

• Options
    DimosarDimosar I am the Brain Genius Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    I will never have a problem with Superman wrecking things that are large and made of metal or rock.

If you put that in a Superman movie, you are already halfway done as far as I'm concerned.

Somebody tried to dissuade me from watching Thor

I interrupted them midsentence with the question, "Doe Thor hit stuff with his hammer?"

they said yes, and then I walked into the theater.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    they should do somebody totally unexpected

like Vandal Savage or the Ultra-Humanite

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Dimosar wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »

Somebody tried to dissuade me from watching Thor

I interrupted them midsentence with the question, "Doe Thor hit stuff with his hammer?"

they said yes, and then I walked into the theater.

There is a very large part of me that just wants to see my childhood heroes moving around and punching shit like they do in the comics.

I love story. I was an English major. I know how to read subtext, and I am delighted when someone does something emotionally interesting with a superhero

but when we get right down to it, if dudes get punched, I am not liable to leave that theater unhappy.

• Options
    DimosarDimosar I am the Brain Genius Registered User regular
    Have Batman be the next Superman villain.

BLAMMO

This discussion has been closed.